Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless Playstation, X-Box Adaptor

Wireless Playstation, X-Box Adaptor
kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 09:49 PM

http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=38&prid=550

Has anyone seen this? We just ordered it and hopefully it will work. We have really been waiting for something like this.

It is $70 at Amazon and $65 at Buy.com. Free shipping on both but Amazon shipping is much faster.

Will see if it works with our Airport software base station (iMac) or if we have to pop for an Airport base station. (Then I could go out into the yard with my PB.)

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2003, 08:50 PM

We just received it today. Plugged it in and it works. Awesome!

And it works using our iMac as a software base station. Woohooo!

The Playstation required a USB/ethernet adapter. The XBox has an ethernet connector built in.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2003, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:
We just received it today. Plugged it in and it works. Awesome!

The Playstation required a USB/ethernet adapter. The XBox has an ethernet connector built in.
What do you mean USB/Ethernet adapter?
Doesnt the wireless device have an ethernet adapter which plugs into your Network Adapter?
we don't have time to stop for gas

kcmac  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2003, 09:33 AM

The XBox has an ethernet connection on the unit. The playstation does not. It has a USB connection on the unit. We had to buy an adaptor that the ethernet cable from the linksys wireless unit could plug into. From the adaptor, a USB cable attaches to the Playstation.

We haven't played online yet with the XBox but we are assuming that it will be a faster experience. Ethernet to ethernet vs Ethernet to USB on the Playstation.

The Playstation is not online ready. An ethernet/modem adaptor can be purchased for the Playstation as an accessory. My son bought an adaptor on ebay that was about $8 (much less expensive than the Playstation accessory) and it seems to be working great.

caleach
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2003, 12:18 AM

If I were to buy the playstation 2 internet adapter, would I see a noticeable difference in speed between a Wireless B adapter and a wireless G adapter? I know "G" is faster, but would it make a difference with playstation gaming?

kennedy
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2003, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by caleach:
If I were to buy the playstation 2 internet adapter, would I see a noticeable difference in speed between a Wireless B adapter and a wireless G adapter? I know "G" is faster, but would it make a difference with playstation gaming?
No difference... your connection to the Internet is roughly 1/10th the speed of "B"... so "B" is already more than fast enough.

caleach
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2003, 01:25 PM

Thanks, and I am assuming that it doesn't matter that we have a cable internet connection. We'll probably go with the "B".

caleach
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2003, 09:50 PM

We purchased a linksys wireless ethernet bridge, the internet adaptor for the PS2 and we're off and running with flawless results.

It is communicating with our Airport Extreme basestation which is connected to cable internet.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
kcmac:

How do I set this up exactly once I get the wireless bridge?

Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules