Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Toast 4.02 Upgrade - 100% improvement..

Toast 4.02 Upgrade - 100% improvement..
Michael Mielko
Mar 26, 2000, 11:17 AM

I downloaded the Toast 4.02 patch, and all of the Toast 4.0 problems seem to go away, so far...

The 2 biggest problems I had were, when burning MP3 files to CD, I would get a 'skip' or 'pop' (no, they were ripped from cd, not records...) Also, I was making to many coasters, as 4.0 was failing on every 5 or 6th consecutive burn.

When I went back to 3.7 I hhad 100% error free situation. 4.0 (um.. 4.02) now rocks. I am going to burn about 10-15 audio CDs now, in a row. CD to CD, no copping to the hard drive first. If this passes my test, Toast 4.02 will have passed my real world test, and I can retire 3.7 (ok, I'll save it for my old performa 460 and 2X burner...)

Just of note, I amusing the following stuff...

Adaptec Toast 4.02 Deluxe
Macintosh G4 (Yikes! version)
Adaptec(Them agian ) power Domain SCSI card (2930cu)
Plextor Plexwriter 8X/20X CDROM burner

any other Toast users out there ????

Mike....

Bartman
Mar 26, 2000, 01:28 PM

Hi,

I tried updating to Toast 4.0.2, but every time the installer reports an error. I removed all the extensions used by toast, reinstalled and tried to upgrade, still, with no luck. Any ideas ?
Once you put your hand in the flame you can never be the same, there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

pnorman
Mar 26, 2000, 02:43 PM

Amazingly, this update, which has been SIX (6) months in development, is not useable as released. Applying the update to my Toast 4 Deluxe rendered it useless - it will no longer run. I did this twice with the same results (following a reinstall of the original obviously).

I just read John Engels' report on MacNN's News Page that there is a special trick to installing the update which is not documented ANYWHERE in Adaptec's included readme files etc.

I recommend staying away from this update until someone other than the dead guy at Adaptec Mac Development has tried using it. Hopefully, someone will squeal loudly enough so that someone in management at Adaptec will notice that their seemingly lone Mac Dev employee hasn't shown up at work for at least SIX months. Unfortunately, this may NOT solve Adaptec's Macintosh customer problems.

From the MacNN News Page....posted by John Engels:
[John Engels] The upgrade requires that (a) the installed application, together with its extension, preferences, etc., be trashed; (b) be reinstalled, but not started up; (c) that the upgrade then be installed; (d) that the application then be started up, and the TSID (TechServiceID) number rather than the Serial Number be furnished. This TSID is on the white sticker that came with the original package. If this sequence is not followed, the application will start up and immediately quit. There is no way to know how to install this upgrade...Adaptec furnishes no hints or instructions...their idea of an April Fool's trick, apparently.

brain13
Mar 26, 2000, 03:48 PM

I just finished downloading the updater and I can get it to run. It tells me "The default location required for this install could not be found. This install well be cancelled." Any thoughts on how to solve this proplem?

brain13

rsfoto
Mar 26, 2000, 04:52 PM

The Toast 4.02 updater worked without a hitch for me. It found my copy of Toast 4.0 Deluxe located on my 2nd non-boot drive. It installed new USB drivers into my boot drives System Folder. For me it worked as it should

JBGurman
Mar 26, 2000, 07:24 PM

Bartman wrote:

> I tried updating to Toast 4.0.2, but every time the installer reports an error. I removed all the extensions used by toast, reinstalled and tried to upgrade, still, with no luck. Any ideas ?

I had the same problem when I responded "PowerPC only" to the "which version of the application to write" question, whether trying to update my original Toast Deluxe 4.0 app or the reinstalled version. When I answered "any Mac," and it presumably installed the fat version, it worked fine. I've cut an HFS and an ISO 9660 CD-R with it on a Plextor (Fantom) 8/4/32 FireWire drive with no troubles.

What a relief to have a version of Toast that works with Mac OS 9 on a G4 (Sawtooth).

Joe Gurman

happyotter
Mar 26, 2000, 08:12 PM

I also tried to update Toast... Now the application will not even run. It immediately quits each time it is launched. I have Jam as well and I really only burn audio discs, so I don't care, but it is not a good update.

I would recommend staying away from this update.

wizard
Mar 26, 2000, 11:31 PM

Toast 4.02 comes up as "using more memory than is allocated for startup" according to Conflict Catcher

Anyone else get this?

spidey
Mar 26, 2000, 11:51 PM

I had the same problems at first too. I reinstalled using different options. On my final attempt before giving up, I disabled my Superdisk extensions (ALL OF THEM) because I remember reading something about it in one of Adaptec's read me's. Now 4.02 works fine for me. No lost CD's (yet), and I can even burn audio (which I couldn't before).

Originally posted by happyotter:
I also tried to update Toast... Now the application will not even run. It immediately quits each time it is launched. I have Jam as well and I really only burn audio discs, so I don't care, but it is not a good update.

I would recommend staying away from this update.

icongrfx
Mar 27, 2000, 12:28 AM

I have a 400Mhz/G4 with OS9.0.2 and Toast 4.0 Delux (retail). I downloaded the 4.0.2 upgrade and had no problems upgrading. I did not need any serial numbers or tech numbers, nor did I have to reinstall Toast. So I guess I am one of the lucky ones and did not have to go through all those hoops tog et it to work!

Michael Mielko
Mar 27, 2000, 12:30 AM

It seems that I opened a can of worms... I had absolutely no problems doing the 4.02 update (See my original post below) but it seems 2/3 of this group has had the problems I had when I was trying to update Adobe Type Manager for OS9. Go Figure. Me, who has usually no luck with buggy upgrades, got it right the first time... People, 4.02 seems rock solid, just hang in there, it's worth the fustration.

EricS
Mar 27, 2000, 02:57 AM

Well, they at least fixed the image mounting problem with OS9... Although new problems have cropped up. I created a temporary partition, mounted it, copied files onto it, and tried to burn it... it would go as far as just before it begins to write, and then eject the disc without writing to it. I reverted to 3.5.7 and it burned the same image onto the same CD without problems. I am using MacOS 9.0.4 and a JVC 2010 burner. OK, I know it's time to upgrade

Joachim
Mar 27, 2000, 03:10 AM

Hi there!

I found the same problem after installing the TOAST 4 Deluxe update: TOAST quits immediately after launch.

I reinstalled a fresh copy from the CD and ran the Updater again. I did not run TOAST before updating, that's important here.

TOAST immediately asked me to enter the TSID number after the first run. It works now!

Regards, Joachim

Byrge
Mar 27, 2000, 04:11 AM

Toast works great after installing a fresh copy and upgrading to 4.02, but what doesn't work is 'save as a disc-image'. Anyone noticed the same problem? Mounting images works right now on system 9.0 and a G4 agp.

Cipher13
Mar 27, 2000, 06:31 AM

I had lots of probs with the updater at first - do this. Delete the Toast prefs, then run the updater. remove the Toast CD Reader extension and restart. All better....any more probs e-mail [email protected]

If you don't have a TSID, get it, cause it requires that instead of a serial number. Its pretty easy to work out the TSID from the serial # - i might be able to get it for you.

sklb
Mar 27, 2000, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by brain13:
I just finished downloading the updater and I can get it to run. It tells me "The default location required for this install could not be found. This install well be cancelled." Any thoughts on how to solve this proplem?

brain13

Yup. You have the retail version of Toast and tried to use the OEM updater, or vice-versa. Try the other updater and it should then give you the error that the rest of us are getting. :-D

-DM (still haven't got the update to install, even after deleting & reinstalling...)

pastusza
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2000, 10:39 AM

I'm using an IDE burner along with my DVD-ROM drive, I have a ribbon cable coming outside the case.... Well.... using OS 8.6 and Toast 4, the Toast CD Reader Extension worked just fine. Under OS 9, I disabled it and with the 4.02 update I reenabled it. It loads just fine, with no X through it, but when I launch Toast, it tells me that an unknown driver is using the device....blah, blah, blah.

Plus, I can't bun images. If I revert to Toast 4.0.0 with no extensions installed, then I can burn images....

------------------
Andy Pastuszak
[email protected]
Andy Pastuszak
amp68(spammenot)-at-verizon.net

JustSteve
Mar 27, 2000, 01:11 PM

If you're having problems with Toast, you might be having the NULL dereference blues. If some application overwrites the first 4 bytes of memory with an invalid memory address, say 0x68f168f1, Toast will blow up because of some poorly written code that attempts to access memory stored at this address.
It's too bad that the Toast programmer's didn't use the "EBBE on" command that is included with the latest MacsBug. They would've nailed this one a lot sooner.

--JustSteve

Thy}{orror (aka- Rob)
Mar 27, 2000, 04:27 PM

Performa 5200cd - lacie2x6x - toast dlx 4.
I did not reinstall anything. ran the 4.0.2 update and clicked ppc only. I have burned one audio and one mixed(sit,pdf,apps). no problems, I did this to see if I needed to do anything special (as mentioned). so, all and all I am a happy camper

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2000, 05:15 PM

Well here's my problem....

I received Toast 4.0.1.1 (OEM) with my Que!Fire 8x4x32 drive and that's worked without problem. But, I could not get Toast Deluxe 4.0 to see my Firewire drive, however when I downloaded the update 4.0.2 it would give me an error before it was done installing. I tried all the things mentioned above and mentioned on Adaptecs site and nothing worked. Then I noticed that down the page a bit on Adaptec's site there was a small file (1k) that was supposed to be a driver that you could drop in Toast 4.0.1.1's folder and it would make toast see Plextor, and QPS drives, so I figured I'd give that a try, and instead of putting it in Toast 4.0.1.1's folder, drop it in Toast Deluxe 4.0's folder. Well, it worked and my drive has yet to burn a coaster. I'd still like to be able to use 4.0.2 but this will do for now....

clgraves
Mar 27, 2000, 06:20 PM

To Cipher13.

I can get things with the 4.0.2 update to the point where it asks me for my "serial" number. As I don't keep original boxes indefinitely, I don't have anything other than the serial #. So things hang up there.

You say you can work out the TSID number from the serial number. How about posting the method for the rest of us so we can get on with it?

jrf42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2000, 09:09 PM

I had a Que! Drive which gave me so much problems that the manufacturer sent me a "new' drive. I installed this today and installed the Toast 4.0 and then upgraded to 4.0.2. Gave lot of application memory. Everything went off smoothly and I already burnt an AudioCD which works fine! I have MacOS9 and a PowerBook G3/400MHz bronze.
Am I one of those lucky ones?

RF

Cipher13
Mar 28, 2000, 06:08 AM

I never recieved a TSID with Toast 4.0 Deluxe, just the serial etc.
If you have your serial number, then your OK. You can get it at Toast Startup when it searches for your burner, or in the "About" box. Go to register.adaptec.com, fill out the form and you will recieve your TSID number.

If you can't register, then you're in trouble anyway - I can't see how you got Toast 4.0 to work in the first place. So chances are, if you don't have your serial number, then your copy is not legit. Its cracked or something.

If it is not a legit copy, i suggest you get a legit one. I don't feel comfortable releasing the method of my serial number forming the TSID over the net. If you want to contact me with further questions, don't hesitate to do so, and I HOPE I can help you.

Sorry if I wasn't any help.

sklb
Mar 28, 2000, 11:50 AM

OK, so I've tried Adaptec's method AGAIN and I still can't get the update to install. I deleted EVERYTHING, restarted, installed Toast 4.0 (tried PPC and Fat), did NOT run it, and tried to install the update. It still errors out every time. Also, some people say they selected "PPC" as an option for the updater. Huh? The 4.0.2 updater never asks what type you want! Am I missing something? Anyway, since I can't get the update to install, I never make it to the next problem with the SN/TSID. I have a PM 8600 with a G3/400 upgrade and OS 8.6. Any help would be appreciated! My email address is: <[email protected]> - thanks!

sklb
Mar 28, 2000, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by sklb:
My email address is: <[email protected]> - thanks!
D'oh! That's supposed to be: [email protected]

Stupid HTML tags... ;-)

fbroz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2000, 03:11 PM

I have to jump on the band wagon that worships 4.0.2. I have a 4x2x8 Que! drive and I was sick of going back and forth between OS 9 and OS 8.6 just to burn audio CDs. The installer worked great for me. ( I had run 4.0 before, I didn't delete the prefs, I didn't start with extentions off... it must be my contract with the devil that made it all work.) but all I had to do to burn a music CD was drag the icon of the Audio CD from the desktop onto the Toast 4.0.2 window, click on CDDB and it burned perfectly. I am enthralled!!!

------------------
--
Frank
--
Frank

nunkinunki
Mar 28, 2000, 05:57 PM

Frank:

Are you able to burn in disc-at-once mode? I'm also using the 4x2x8 Que! drive, and while I had no trouble updating to Toast 4.02, I can only seem to burn if I turn off disc-at-once.

(When I try to burn in disc-at-once, the program quits and shows a type 2 error. I was completely unable to burn with Toast 4.0.)

fbroz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2000, 10:06 AM

To be honest I did not even think of trying that yet. I will give that a shot tonight and see what happens.

------------------------
Frank
--
Frank

Ryan Steckert
Mar 29, 2000, 08:17 PM

I would not use 4.02 if you do any burning with disk image format. That feature is now broken. I use CD-Copy for almost all my recording and as soon as I upgraded(having no trouble actually upgrading) this capability ceased to function. Upon returning to 4.0 all is well. FYI I use a B/W G3/400 with a Yamaha 6416 and 2906 scsi card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules