Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Terminal Server Client License w/virtual PC?

Terminal Server Client License w/virtual PC?
caleach
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2003, 10:30 PM

Does anyone know if Virtual PC comes with a Terminal Server Client License? Also, is there a market for individual licensesfor someone who's company doesn't have an Open Business Licensce with Microsoft?

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 10:58 PM

Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro have client licenses built in. If you run one of those operating systems in VPC, you will be fine. Windows 95 & 98 do not have licenses built in and will consume a license on the server (TS does not use concurrent licenses, so avoid connecting at all).

I don't know about XP Home. I have no experience with this, but considering the other restrictions on Home, I would suspect that there is no built in license.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2003, 10:59 PM

You can get the Terminal Server client for Mac from Microsoft's website. You don't need VPC to connect to a Windows Terminal Server. I do it all the time.

caleach  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 19, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by wallinbl:
You can get the Terminal Server client for Mac from Microsoft's website. You don't need VPC to connect to a Windows Terminal Server. I do it all the time.
The issue, as I understand it, isn't connecting in and of itself. I can connect using Apple Remote Access. The issue is the license itself.

I will check out the Microsoft website to see if the licenses themselves are available.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 19, 2003, 04:45 PM

Pretty much anyone who sells Windows software will sell you a Terminal Services CAL. It needs to be installed on the server though, if you're an end user and not the sysadmin of the server then it's not really your issue.

caleach  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by Scarpa:
Pretty much anyone who sells Windows software will sell you a Terminal Services CAL. It needs to be installed on the server though, if you're an end user and not the sysadmin of the server then it's not really your issue.
So all I have to do is find a reseller of Windows software, purchase the CAL and have it installed on our server?

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 01:03 PM

I am confused. Are you trying to get your VPC OS to allow Terminal Services Clients to connect? Or, are you trying to use MS Terminal Services Client within VPC to connect to a real PC Terminal Server?

If so, you can get the client for the VPC PC by going to Microsoft and searching for msrdpcli and follow the Download ... links. The same client works in OS X by the way so unless you have to VPN in (which I do) then that won't be an improvement.

Scarpa
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by caleach:
So all I have to do is find a reseller of Windows software, purchase the CAL and have it installed on our server?
Yup. Try CDW.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules