Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1-What's up with Mail.app?

10.1-What's up with Mail.app?
Jonnie13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2001, 11:28 AM

I haven't heard anything being discussed regarding the much maligned mail.app in the upcoming 10.1 release.

Has it be improved at all (stability & feature set)?

As Bare Bones Software sits on the fence with the decision of the carbonization of my much beloved Mailsmith, I can only hope with all of the improvements being made to X that mail has been improved as well.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2001, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Jonnie13:
<STRONG>I haven't heard anything being discussed regarding the much maligned mail.app in the upcoming 10.1 release.

Has it be improved at all (stability & feature set)?
</STRONG>
Nope, still sucks. Looks the same with a new version number.
I am sure they fixed some bugs but zzzzzz.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

<besson3c>
Sep 20, 2001, 02:05 PM

new features:

- email can now be marked (icons for forwarded, replied, etc.)
- can set IMAP root directory

The new version also seems much faster for me, is more savvy about when you are actually on and offline, and is more accurate about its display of new messages.

zacharie
Sep 20, 2001, 03:23 PM

Have you tried mail attachments?
I wonder if it works properly now, since it's not the case with
older builds.

comgil
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2001, 04:10 PM

Well, the most visible change is the ability to import preferences and email (sent/received, etc) from different email clients, like Entourage, Outlook Express, Netscape�

Some bug correction, but it is quite the same app.

But it is now a good simple client, thanks to OSX v10.1. It is quicker in all domains.

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2001, 09:15 AM

How about checking regular POP mail? My school won't support APOP and I hate IMAP, in spite of how much the sysadmin spouts about it's greatness. Just a personal preference, but I want my POP mail back!
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

pathogen
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2001, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by comgil:
<STRONG>Well, the most visible change is the ability to import preferences and email (sent/received, etc) from different email clients, like Entourage, Outlook Express, Netscape�</STRONG>
I guess I shouldn't be holding my breath anymore for an Outlook Express X. I had hoped beyond hope (because that's what I prefer to use, even under classic, and I don't want to pay for Entourage updates, etc). But I'd heard that MS seemed to not be developping OE anymore. If Mail.app now imports OE fully and Entouragem then the chances of MS doing an OS X version of OE is even more greatly reduced.

Aww... shazbot.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

<Zippy>
Sep 21, 2001, 10:50 AM

Can anyone tell me if they have fixed the bug that makes mail.app take ages to quit? Whenever I quit mail.app using 10.04 the hard disk churns away for minutes on end (during which time I can't do anything at all with my computer). After a few minutes it 'quits unexpectedly'.

Also, does mail still index your entire mailbox every time you launch it?

Cheer

Zips

Scrod
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2001, 12:34 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Zippy&gt;:
<STRONG>Can anyone tell me if they have fixed the bug that makes mail.app take ages to quit? Whenever I quit mail.app using 10.04 the hard disk churns away for minutes on end (during which time I can't do anything at all with my computer). After a few minutes it 'quits unexpectedly'.

Also, does mail still index your entire mailbox every time you launch it?

Cheer

Zips</STRONG>

I've never experienced those bugs under OS X public beta, any of the OS X developer builds, and NEVER under OS X final 10.0.x .
I abused my signature until she cried.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2001, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by Scrod:
<STRONG>

I've never experienced those bugs under OS X public beta, any of the OS X developer builds, and NEVER under OS X final 10.0.x .</STRONG>
I've experienced these problems with both a 400 G3 and a 450 G4 through all the builds. It's my major beef with Mail. Hopefully it is fixed.

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2001, 11:04 AM

so from the sounds of things mail.crapp is still as sh*te as ever. that's taken the shine off my anticipation of 10,1 a bit, as useless mail.crapp was one of my major bugbears in X [as any regulars here will know].

signature destroyed by stray US cruise missile during
'precision bombing' raid on afghanistan

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2001, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by m a d r a:
<STRONG>so from the sounds of things mail.crapp is still as sh*te as ever. that's taken the shine off my anticipation of 10,1 a bit, as useless mail.crapp was one of my major bugbears in X [as any regulars here will know]. </STRONG>
So go write a better mail app for free.

<STRONG>****************************************** *****************
signature destroyed by stray US cruise missile during
'precision bombing' raid on afghanistan
************************************************** *********</STRONG>
LOL. Except that really shouldn't be funny. Oh, well.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2001, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by zythemac:
<STRONG>
I've experienced these problems with both a 400 G3 and a 450 G4 through all the builds. It's my major beef with Mail. Hopefully it is fixed.</STRONG>
Same here. It's always "unexpectedly" quitting on me when I tell it to quit, and it's always chugging and thrasing the HD.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Sep 23, 2001, 03:40 AM

<STRONG>so from the sounds of things mail.crapp is still as sh*te as ever. that's taken the shine off my anticipation of 10,1 a bit, as useless mail.crapp was one of my major bugbears in X [as any regulars here will know].
</STRONG>
You know, I really don't get this. I've used just about every eMail client under the sun -- and I find Mail.app to be excellent as an eMail client.

If you don't like it, sure, don't use it -- but trashing it like it is a piece of garbage is just silly. It is a well-written, functional app that has only gotten better with the 10.1 update.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 23, 2001, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by moki:
<STRONG>

You know, I really don't get this. I've used just about every eMail client under the sun -- and I find Mail.app to be excellent as an eMail client.

If you don't like it, sure, don't use it -- but trashing it like it is a piece of garbage is just silly. It is a well-written, functional app that has only gotten better with the 10.1 update.</STRONG>
I like it too. But that "I won't quit because I'm trying to disconnect from POP servers bug" really, really annoys me. I hope they fixed it.

-- james

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2001, 10:41 PM

I've found Mail to be an excellent application. I'm always intrigued by the numerous complaints about its bugs which never seem to affect me. I guess they depend very much on the configuration, or the hardware, or something?

Anyway, I hope that they do get those bugs (that I've never seen) fixed, then you can all enjoy using Mail as much as I do. If not, then there's plenty of others to choose from, including other freebies.

johnny_hotrod
Sep 23, 2001, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
<STRONG>If not, then there's plenty of others to choose from, including other freebies.</STRONG>
Does anyone have any reccomendations as to which mail program is the best replacement (classic not included)?

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2001, 11:00 PM

The mail app is fine except when the mailbox goes into read only mode, I have not found a way, short of recreating it, to turn it back to normal. Any help would be appreciated, I'm using 5g64.

supernature
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2001, 01:40 AM

I had the same problem with the mail.app hanging on me when trying to quit, especially when I try to quit when it's still attempting to connect to the mail servers.

I think it's been improved, but I'm not sure if it's something in the new OS that fixed it or if it's an improved mail.app. But as far as I know, it's definitely quitting twice as faster than before. I also don't get the often double arrow twirling going on forever like it did in 10.0.4. I can also now put the computer to sleep while the mail.app is still open. Before in 10.0.4, the mail.app would try to connect after waking up and it never could, and after a few minutes it would be offline. Then I'd have to make it go online again. Now with 10.1, the mail.app works so much better, and has no problems after the computer is woken up from a long and needed sleep.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Sep 24, 2001, 02:03 AM

Well in 5g64, mail quits within a second.
Never had problems with POP, but it may be APOP - how can you tell.

Lets face facts: Mail is a free bundled app that is supposed to help the average user (particularly to use mac.com service). If you need anything more sophisticated see what else is out there. I'm happy with Mail but others may need more.

As for attachments - generally haven't had a problem. But then I don't do that much.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2001, 04:00 AM

I don't know why so many people says so many BS about mail.app
I rather use it that M$ "whatever comes out" mail applications... it's good, and I almost never had a crash with it. The read only thing bugs me sometimes but... I still like it, and I'm sure I'll like it even more under 10.1!
Think Diferente!

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 05:23 AM

Angus_D: So go write a better mail app for free. 

moki: If you don't like it, sure, don't use it -- but trashing it like it is a piece of garbage is just silly.

jeronimo: I don't know why so many people says so many BS about mail.app
I rather use it that M$ "whatever comes out" mail applications...
but it is a piece of garbage. why, every time someone criticises mail.crapp do we get the usual standard replies?

1. if you don't like it write your own

2. if you don't like it don't use it?

3. what do you expect for free?

4. if you don't like something apple has done you must be in league with bill gates, satan, hosannah bin liner - or all three

answers
1. i can't i'm not a programmer. it's not my job. that's why i pay [by buying their products] someone else to do it

2. i haven't much choice seeing as how apple have come to some shady arrangement with microsoft so that outlook express is taken out and shot, leaving the field free for mail.crapp [and i can't stand eudora].

3. it's not free. it comes bundled with X. X is touted as having built in email capability. therefore it's part of the OS X product. therefore i paid for it when i bought X.

4. no. i'm not in league with any of the aforementioned fine upstanding gentlemen. neither do i have a schoolgirl crush on steve jobs. nor do i think that one multinational corporation which wouldn't piss on me if i was on fire deserves my blind sycophantic loyalty over any other multinational corporation, or should be forgiven for producing crap just because generally i prefer using their products to those of the competition.

memo to self: how's that new sig coming on?

[edited to remove international terrorism]

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: m a d r a ]

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2001, 06:03 AM

<STRONG>
but it is a piece of garbage.</STRONG>
Mail.app is not a piece of garbage or crap or whatever, you just don't like it.
I use mail since 10.0 and never had any problems.
I'm using POP and IMAP to get mail from 4 accounts. I have mailboxes that contain 1000-2000mails. I'm sending attachments all the time and never had any problems.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: Zadian ]

m a d r a
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 04:16 PM

Zadian.

it works for you therefore you say its great

it barely works for me therefore i say it's crap

both equally valid opinions

[even tho' yours is wrong ]

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2001, 07:50 PM

crappy as opposed to those other free Apple email clients?

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2001, 09:05 PM

I just wish they'd implement some way to connect to IMAP servers over SSH. I can't use mail.app for that simple reason, even though I like it for the most part as a mail reader. Oh well. (and yeah, I know there's a way to get this to work, but it's very roundabout and *not* built-in).

Forum Links
Forum Rules