Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Will Virtual PC Make Mac Virus Vunerable?

Will Virtual PC Make Mac Virus Vunerable?
Sirfishalot
Mar 25, 2004, 01:44 AM

I'm in the process of installing VPC on my Mac. Now will I be succeptable to the PC virus woes that we as priveledge OSXers dont typically have to worry about?

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by Sirfishalot:
I'm in the process of installing VPC on my Mac. Now will I be succeptable to the PC virus woes that we as priveledge OSXers dont typically have to worry about?
Nope.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 02:07 AM

But the Windows OS running inside of VPC is just as vulnerable as the real thing.
Vandelay Industries

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 10:09 AM

Your Mac with VPC can now enjoy VIRTUAL Viruses - and enjoy the havoc they wreak upon your Windows installation.
But then I'm sure you won't be storing any of actual value within the Windows portion of your system.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

macsfromnowon
Mar 25, 2004, 10:11 AM

In fact the Windows portion of your system should then be able to be turned into a spamming "zombie" machine if infected by the right viruses, I suspect... and suck up info from any Windows based address book, etc.

...Windows virus infection might be something to check if you ever see your overall Mac performance deteriorating.

sandsl
Senior User
Mar 25, 2004, 12:17 PM

Unless of course you have your mac drives (read/write) shared to the virtual machine, in which case a virus on the virtual machine could delete some of your mac files if it so wanted to.
Luke

djohnson
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 12:39 PM

This is why it is better to just spend to dough on parts for building a windows machine.......

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2004, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
This is why it is better to just spend to dough on parts for building a windows machine.......
and again.....i don't want to carry a pc around with me in addition to my powerbook....and some others may not have the extra space for another computer.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2004, 04:17 PM

Originally posted by sandsl:
Unless of course you have your mac drives (read/write) shared to the virtual machine, in which case a virus on the virtual machine could delete some of your mac files if it so wanted to.
Yes. This is very important to remember. Unless absolutely necessary, I suggest never leaving your VPC application in a state where Windows has access to your Mac's files ("shared folders" in VPC lingo). A Windows virus could wipe out your Mac stuff, too, if it has access to these shared folders.

tsuki
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2004, 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Yes. This is very important to remember. Unless absolutely necessary, I suggest never leaving your VPC application in a state where Windows has access to your Mac's files ("shared folders" in VPC lingo). A Windows virus could wipe out your Mac stuff, too, if it has access to these shared folders.
I have to use VPc to run my pc only stamps.com program & in order to get my addresses over "there" I have to have one shared folder that I can open. What do I need to do to?Is there a setting I should change before I quit? I usually Save All & Quit when I'm through in VPC...I never use it for any other program.

sandsl
Senior User
Mar 28, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by tsuki:
I have to use VPc to run my pc only stamps.com program & in order to get my addresses over "there" I have to have one shared folder that I can open. What do I need to do to?Is there a setting I should change before I quit? I usually Save All & Quit when I'm through in VPC...I never use it for any other program.
Well, you could try using VPCs drag-and-drop (from mac desktop/folder to windows desktop/folder) functionality as a replacement to using shared folders/drives - this would be safer from a virus protection perspective.

You could also consider installing windows virus protection software on VPC. There are no settings you should change before you quit which would make it any safer - VPC only runs when the application is open and unpaused.

Finally, the risk of a windows virus wiping your mac drive is relatively small if you follow normal safety proceedures for working on windows systems such as, don't open e-mail attachments etc.
Luke

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 03:15 PM

Sandsl 's point makes clear one of the best overall strategies when employing VPC - don't use Windows email apps (don't know why you would). Then there's not even the risk of anyone (you or guest, etc) accidentally clicking on the next-generation emailed virus.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

C.J. Moof
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2004, 05:12 PM

I'd also advise making a periodic archive of the Windows virtual drive. This way, if you do manage to pick up a Widows virus, it's really easy to roll back to the previous state.
OS X: Where software installation doesn't require wizards with shields.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2004, 04:30 AM

... BTW, if you would want to install a Windows antivirus program within Virtual PC, a good free one is AVG, which also gets updated with new definitions rather frequently. Probably, a PC antivirus would considerably slow down the emulated Windows environment, however - not sure...

P.S.: See also here for an "official" explanation.

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

Forum Links
Forum Rules