Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > school recommendations

school recommendations
caleach
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 01:32 PM

My son, a Junior in H.S., has gotten pretty good with Final Cut Pro and wants to continue his education in this field here in CA. Does anyone have any suggestions for either good state schools or trade schools that would provide good training and has a good reputation for job placement?

Thanks,

buddhabelly
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by caleach:
My son, a Junior in H.S., has gotten pretty good with Final Cut Pro and wants to continue his education in this field here in CA. Does anyone have any suggestions for either good state schools or trade schools that would provide good training and has a good reputation for job placement?

Thanks,
New York Film Acadaemy.

Also Full Sail in Florida I think and another similar one in Vancouver, BC.

These are all trade schools, not a traditional university setting. You go for 18-24 months at a very intense pace, usually working with professionals in the field. At least that's what the literature reads. Trade schools are a lot of money up front as well.

Sorry, I just reread your post. I'm not sure about CA, but I'm sure something is there. Academy of Art etc. Bekley.

I chose more of a university education, getting a BFA in Multimedia Design, which is really a broad term here covering everything from digital film, photo, audio, deisgn, web design, physical computing, emerging technologies etc etc. Pretty much whatever you want.

nate_02
Senior User
Apr 22, 2004, 11:25 PM

You could also try a school that has a public TV station attached to it. I go to MATC (Milwaukee Area Technical College) and while it is a school, class is in a fully functioning TV station (They have a great TV production program). With public TV, they have lots of money so they usually have the latest equipment to work on (such as high definition). I know there are a few schools like this across the country, I'm not sure of any in your area. You might want to find out what public TV stations there are in your area and call to see if they are affiliated with a school.

By the way, MATC is a two year school with an associates degree, but I believe some of the schools across the country with public TV stations are 4 year schools. Job placement is very high after a TV degree at MATC!
-nate

Forum Links
Forum Rules