Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1 & Mail

10.1 & Mail
orry_main
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 12:54 AM

I'm just tickled pink about 10.1...I've been using X every day since it came out and had gotten so used to that little rainbow spinny...ugh...10.1 is much better, except that Mail won't delete my mail from the server after it downloads it and, thus, I keep downloading the same messages over and over and over again. Anyone else have this problem or know a work around? Am I missing something obvious?

JeffZPgh
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2001, 01:00 AM

I'm assuming you know that under Mail Preferences, "Accounts", you can edit the account you're checking, and under the "Account Options" tab there is a "Delete mail on server after downloading" option...

If you have that checked and it still isn't working, it looks like you have a genuine problem - in which case you should send Apple feedback. You might want to try deleting the mail from your server by popping it from another client first to make sure it's not some wacky issue with your ISP.

Jeff

kcmac
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2001, 01:03 AM

Open mail.app.
Open preferences
Open accounts
Select account
open account options
Look for box saying you can delete messages from server and check it.
Done.

<aurich>
Oct 2, 2001, 02:22 AM

I have the exact same problem (10.1 on a Pismo), I have to telnet into my account to delete the mail. And YES, I have the delete main check box checked, just like I did in 10.04 when it worked fine.

smart
Oct 2, 2001, 02:47 AM

I have that problem to, I keep getting the same mail over and over again.. And YES I have checked "delete mail"..

/Stefan

fg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2001, 04:32 AM

Unfortenly I also have this problem. And like everyone else, I have checked the delete mail from server option. I hade 10.1 installed for several days before this problem occured. So it has not been a problem for me from the start. It just startet to do this some days ago.

My about box in mail says "v.1.1 (v471/472)"

Would really appreciate if somebody had a solution. I can be reached at [email protected].

/Frippe

Fink-Nottle
Oct 2, 2001, 08:03 AM

Greetings,
I had the same problem and I fixed it... and the fix also worked for a load of people on the Apple support site. (There's a thread but the section seems to be down right now.) The problem is that the 'Mailbox' folder contains a couple of invisible files which cause trouble. To solve:

-Quit 'Mail'
-Open your 'Home' folder, then your 'Library' folder, then 'Mail' folder.
-Rename 'Mailbox' folder to 'Old Mailbox'
-Create a new folder called 'Mailbox'
-Drag contents from 'Old Mailbox' to 'Mailbox'
-Trash MessageSorting.plist file
-Trash 'Old Mailbox'

Now try it out! I hope it works for you too.
Fink Different eh!
http://www.digitaljive.com

Francisco Pires
Oct 2, 2001, 08:21 AM

I have a problem with Mail. I�m setting the FORMAT-TEXT ENCODING to Ocidental (or other option), but it always returns to DEFAULT.

How can I fix it??

Francisco Pires
Oct 2, 2001, 08:22 AM

I have a problem with Mail. I�m setting the FORMAT-TEXT ENCODING to Ocidental (or other option), but it always returns to DEFAULT.

How can I fix it??

orry_main  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2001, 10:03 AM

Excellent...all is well now. Though I didn't have to create the new folder and move the stuff and delete the old folder...I just deleted the .plist and it worked. Now if only it would properly recognise accented characters in HTML mail....

Forum Links
Forum Rules