Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.1 Talk- 5F23

10.1 Talk- 5F23 (Page 5)
foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2001, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by iamnotmad:
<STRONG>That does not make a lot of sense to me, what would be demo'd? Dock location, or ooooo look how fast I can resize this window. There are not going to be great new features in 10.1. It's a cleanup, and optimization, this does not make sense to demo, If we see it, I think we'll get it.</STRONG>
Steve demos OSX at every conference reguardless of an update.

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2001, 03:34 PM

<STRONG>JLL, you seem so sure, do you have some real inside information, or is this just your rumor based researched estimation?</STRONG>
I have real inside information, but not from someone you normally think about having information.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2001, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by krove:
<STRONG>

I'm PST, so I was WAY off...only 9:18 monday...guess I forgot I still had another day. TODAY IS GOING TO BE EXCRUCITATING. I don't think I'll be able to function @ work because of this thread. Damn, I can't wait for 6:00 tomorrow morning!!!

Oh, and Kelix: Keep it coming!!! </STRONG>
Argh, I meant kelix, not krove... sorry

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Hal Atkins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2001, 04:10 PM

Would an update or revision of mail.app be a part of 10.1 - or has anyone heard of its own update being offered any time soon?

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Vader's Robotic Stump:
<STRONG>

CD burning, DVD player, interface enhancements.
</STRONG>
I seriously doubt Steve Jobs would spend alot of time showing off features that should have been in the OS months ago. I mean, it's not like being able to burn CDs or watch DVDs is something that makes OS X better than OS 9. It finally brings a more feature complete list to X but I'm sure it won't be that much better than under 9.1. All I know is that If 10.1 and some good programs(Toast most importantly) aren't available by early August I'm gonna be really mad. If there aren't some big announcements tommorow specifically about OS X, OS X is gonna continue to be the bastard child that Apple ignores.
Regards,
Dave

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2001, 05:36 PM

While some say we won't be getting X tomorrow, they me be right. BUT I damn sure think we'd have it online to download the next day or week. How many leaked builds are going around? There were leaked builds coming out a week or so before 10.0.4 was released so that makes me believe 10.1 is about ready to go because of the leaked builds. I can't se Apple waiting til September, and only Demo-ing X with a few changes tomorrow.

Besides, with the amount of people waiting for X tomorrow, could you imagine if Steve say's "We will not release OS X today because it's not ready. But I do ahave a demo of it to show, look how much faster it is, and we changed the arrows in the dock. And if you look over here you see...." People would riot, lol.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>

I seriously doubt Steve Jobs would spend alot of time showing off features that should have been in the OS months ago. I mean, it's not like being able to burn CDs or watch DVDs is something that makes OS X better than OS 9. It finally brings a more feature complete list to X but I'm sure it won't be that much better than under 9.1. All I know is that If 10.1 and some good programs(Toast most importantly) aren't available by early August I'm gonna be really mad. If there aren't some big announcements tommorow specifically about OS X, OS X is gonna continue to be the bastard child that Apple ignores.</STRONG>
Well, that's really the crux of the problem. Maybe Apple can wait another 2 months, but their developer community won't. Until Apple gets 10.1 out the door there is no way for Roxio or Symantec or Dantz or MicroMat to release OS X versions of their essential software. In the meantime all these companies' Mac sales can do nothing but be killed while people wait (and wait and wait) to upgrade. Now Apple may have billions and billions in cash to ride out a slow market, but these software makers don't have infinitely deep pockets OR patience. No way everybody waits another 2 months for 10.1. Apple demos it at the show and posts it for download in 10 days. You don't have this frantic pace of builds and the decisions to cutoff features until the next milestone unless you are ready to declare a GM.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 05:59 PM

If 10.1 is released within 10 days, that's no problem for me. If it's more than two weeks or so I think I'll be a bit angered. Oh well, we'll know by this time tommorrow
Regards,
Dave

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by dfbennett:
<STRONG>OS X is gonna continue to be the bastard child that Apple ignores.</STRONG>
Ignores??? What the hell? Apple is giving OSX all the attention in the world, they just aren't doing a very good job with it though.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 06:13 PM

Two things.

Here is the new G4 Tower:

Second, if Apple is offering a $100 towards a Visor edge when you buy an iMac, do you really think Apple will have a PDA of their own tomorrow?

wclarkson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 06:22 PM

<STRONG>Two things.

Second, if Apple is offering a $100 towards a Visor edge when you buy an iMac, do you really think Apple will have a PDA of their own tomorrow?</STRONG>

That is BUTTTTTTTTTT UUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYY

I would never purchase that I hope ur wrong. Maybe without the handles. That would be nice looking.
G4 Cube Owner :-)

pfm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2001, 06:23 PM

holy god! that looks real to me!

but, wait a minute, without panels, how can they have one with a zip disk? maybe they just have two entirely different enclosures?

pfm

alauzon
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2001, 06:28 PM

There is no way this is real. It is really,really ugly. And why would the tower be 4-5 inches from the ground anyway????? Nice try......

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 06:33 PM

I am not faking the picture if it is fake. It looks like a slot loading CD drive to me with a metal enclosure.

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 06:38 PM

Anyone who doesn't think that this enclosure is the real deal has got to be delusional. Seriously. That, and I don't think it looks bad at all. But what would I know...

<Anonymous>
Jul 17, 2001, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by israces:
<STRONG>If its an "OSX on Intel" ( woah!) plan, then Apple must be feeling really really secure on its hardware margins and on its ability to engage in what is going to amount to a huge pissing match with M$.</STRONG>
But a suitably chastised MS -- they have been found to be exercising illegal monopoly power by a trial court AND by the appeals court that was otherwise treating them favorably.

If Apple licensed X on Intel now to say Compaq, Microsoft would be fighting a huge battle for its very existance, if they dared to tell Compaq that the price of Windows just went up.

mugwump
Jul 17, 2001, 06:46 PM

Hmmm, without the oversize handles I think it looks great! Very rugged indeed...

pfm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2001, 06:48 PM

i don't know what you guys are smoking, but that enclosure looks AWESOME! i am sure in person it would be even better. you guys have no taste of your own. design should always be pushing the limits and this definitely does that.

p f m

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 06:50 PM

The bottom handles are shaven so they are flat, just like the current towers. The handles are just at a steeper angle. But ya, it does look a little tipsy.

How come nobody has commented on my $100 handheld news?

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 17, 2001, 06:50 PM

I'd pick up one of those PowerMacs. I actually like that enclosure. It's a bit like a cross between the PowerMac G4 and a G4 Cube. Than would look awesome next to a cinema display. If they at least offer a dual 733 it looks like I'll be buying a new mac soon.
Who'sDaMac?

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 06:51 PM

I really try to avoid "me too" posts, but that is the ugliest thing I've ever seen! It could almost be a (gasp) PC! Wait, I can see it now "We made a beautiful Cube that nobody bought, so we figure if we make an ugly brick it will sell boatloads".

Boy I sure hope that is fake!
MacBook Pro 17" 2.4 Ghz, 4GB ram, 200GB 7200rpm HD

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 06:54 PM

That picture is hilarious! That star wars guy is a smart ass sometimes, but that picture is funny as hell.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2001, 06:56 PM

I think it's clear that the above "G4" is a PeeCee with a gray/silver paint job. It's got a 3.5 disk drive in the front of it for God's sake!

Someone who knows PeeCee please tell us what make that is. I'm gussing some kinda Dell?

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 17, 2001, 06:57 PM

I like it! I actually do hope that that's it, since JLL posted in another forum (the pmac forum) that the new encolsure is the exact same size as the current one, which would lead me to believe that it is the same.. I think JLL should question his sources!

This does look narrower than the current enclosure!

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by bcaslis:
<STRONG>I really try to avoid "me too" posts, but that is the ugliest thing I've ever seen! It could almost be a (gasp) PC! Wait, I can see it now "We made a beautiful Cube that nobody bought, so we figure if we make an ugly brick it will sell boatloads".

Boy I sure hope that is fake!
</STRONG>
I think it looks nice but without the handles it would look just like a PC.

CubeWannaB
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2001, 07:01 PM

Are those holes on the top of the enclosure? This wouldn't be fanless, would it?

And ya, I think the PDA point is 100% accurate - no Apple-brand PDA until October if ever.

timster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 07:03 PM

If thats real, its pretty cool. I gotta admit its a bit radical, but what do we expect from Apple.

And think about it, remove the handles (they look very removable), flip it on its side, and you got an easily rackmountable G4. This... is a very cool concept.

-tim

pmcd
Senior User
Jul 17, 2001, 07:12 PM

That is a CD reader. Don't know, nor do I care, if it's fake or not. The real issue is whether or not OSX will be updated to where it should be. It will also be interesting to see if the domination of Carbon continues. I suspect it will and unless we see some kind of C++ to obj-C bridge we may start to see the beginning of the slide of Cocoa into oblivion (along with Java it would appear).

Philip

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>I think it's clear that the above "G4" is a PeeCee with a gray/silver paint job. It's got a 3.5 disk drive in the front of it for God's sake!

Someone who knows PeeCee please tell us what make that is. I'm gussing some kinda Dell?</STRONG>
[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: pmcd ]

<n8910>
Jul 17, 2001, 07:13 PM

I will buy 20 if I can join them together to make one combined SUPER G4-BOT!
Think of the computing power of 20 single G4 CPU units joining together and working as one to fight evil (M$) and save the universe.

GO G4-BOT, GO!!!!!

--Now with fully animated dock, and ninja kick.

1098n

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 07:14 PM

I am not saying that this is the tower 100% for sure, but it is close. Remember when everyone saw the ProMouse all in black from worker Bee. "That is sooooo ugly", "no way" bla bla.

Also, why would you need a internal Zip Drive when you have a internal CD-RW, Combo or super Drive?

Even zip is pushing the exturnal USB and FireWire Zips.
DEATH TO INTERNAL REMOVABLE MEDIA! It is just a pain to find matching faceplates.

Well, 14 more hours....

<joe>
Jul 17, 2001, 07:21 PM

stop complaining!!!

At least if the picture is real the new Powermac is different!!
I'd rather have an odd but new design than sticking with something that is actually more than 3 years old.
And by the way I really like this enclosure.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2001, 07:24 PM

How does that look like a pc (without the handles) ?? It's made of metal for petes sake. Haven't seen any Dells made of Titanium lately, course I don't look at pc's so I couldv'e missed something. The handles are a bit awkward.

KEEP IN MIND that when the Cube and Mouse came out, there were rumored pics of them that were close, had the right idea but were slightly off. We've all heard of the new metal case, so maybe we might get a slightly diferent variant of the above design?[/LIST]
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

velocitychannel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 07:26 PM

<STRONG>

</STRONG>

ROTFLMAO!!

This could be real, but it looks so unproportionate. The handles really seem to make it look like a handsome man with really big ears and feet. Oh well, I don't think it is that bad. I seem to remember someone saying that a spy shot of the Blue and White G3 looked like a mangled iMac and there is no way it could be real.

What I really hope is that this machines hard drive is stocked with some Puma action

naden
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 07:31 PM

I definitely agree that the premise of the enclosure is right except it looks like its about the same size as the existing G4. Not to mention I heard (begged) that dual DVD-size bays would be available, something ridiculously absent from current G4's.

However, this definitely fits in with a lot of people who saw titanium style LCD displays at WWDC underneath black sheets.

As much as I love handles .. those ones are way too stuck on. I love (x100000) the idea of ripping those handles off and mounting those G4's like those no tommorow.

Thanks to Kelix btw .. fake, not fake, either way it brightened up and otherwise dull work day.

God I love MWNY

iamnotmad
Senior User
Jul 17, 2001, 07:32 PM

You're not saying it is it 100% for sure? what does that mean? Did you make the mock up yourself? It's a photo! Sheesh. If it is not 100% for sure then it's a mock up, and no better than any other mock up we've seen.

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>How does that look like a pc (without the handles) ?? It's made of metal for petes sake. Haven't seen any Dells made of Titanium lately,[/LIST]</STRONG>
Ok you're missing some very obvious things. First, all PC cases are made of metal. STEEL or ALUMINUM. Last I checked, those are metals, so I've seen alot of PCs made of metal. Second, who says it's titanium? It could just be painted steel or aluminum. I'm almost positive this isn't the real case. If it is, I hope it's slightly less ugly.
Regards,
Dave

Peabo
Senior User
Jul 17, 2001, 07:43 PM

Is it me or does that look like a performa 4400 spraypainted silver with the titanium-pb apple stuck on the side and the G4's handles glued all over it?
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 07:45 PM

<STRONG>You're not saying it is it 100% for sure? what does that mean? Did you make the mock up yourself? It's a photo! Sheesh. If it is not 100% for sure then it's a mock up, and no better than any other mock up we've seen.</STRONG>
No i did not make it. It might be an early build of the tower by APPLE. They sometimes make changes right before it release it.
Sheeesh.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2001, 07:46 PM

Exactly, iamnotmad. Me thinks Vader and JLL are FOS. We will see 10.1 tomorrow. That's not from my brother's nephew's sister's uncle's cousin that works at Apple. It's an educated guess. And a good one considering that if Apple does not release 10.1 tomorrow, then the ****e is going to hit the fan in a BIG way. X was pushed back 6 months. Then the Beta came out rather late. 10.0 was anything but complete. And they've been hyping tomorrow like no other. If they disappoint, then there are going to be some really pissed off developers and users.

Almost forgot, that tower is just plain old fugly. Granted the picture's a bit fuzzy and it may look better in person, but those handles just don't fit with the rest of the machine.

My 2 cents.

[ 07-18-2001: Message edited by: Arty50 ]
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>How does that look like a pc (without the handles) ?? It's made of metal for petes sake. Haven't seen any Dells made of Titanium lately, course I don't look at pc's so I couldv'e missed something. The handles are a bit awkward.</STRONG>
Who said this tower was made out of Titanium?

And yes PC's have metal on them, just like this Dell:

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 07:53 PM

I agree.. the handles look totally out of place. They look like they stick out too much and are way too big.

I hope that isn't real..

jblakeh1
Senior User
Jul 17, 2001, 07:57 PM

Slot loading superdrive? Is there even such a thing as a slot loading cdrw?

My guess is it is fake because the side looks like the front of a Ti... they just took the white plastic off a g4, photographed it, and photoshopped in a Ti book. Apple's designers wouldn't release anything this inorganically shaped.

At least this is what I am hoping, because it is very ugly.

<rogerkylin>
Jul 17, 2001, 07:59 PM

The 'new' case looks like it is going to fall over on its side.

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 08:01 PM

if that is the new g4... i think it looks great, except for the obnoxiously large handles. why even have handles on the bottom? how often do you carry a case upside down? if there were only handles on the top, and they were smaller, that'd be fine. or if you could just remove the handles (easily), that'd be fine as well. otherwise what is apple smoking?

everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

kelix
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2001, 08:06 PM

Hey all im back.... any questions??? ive read some of ya posts bagging me... like i care!!! im here and u can either take my info or leave it.... anyways im here for a bit so ask away =) BTW im on a G4PB500 with my nokia 8210 and on the net through Airport here and in the "black spots" illbe using my nokia to call home ISP =)
anyways let the questions begin!

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by billybob:
<STRONG>why even have handles on the bottom? how often do you carry a case upside down? if there were only handles on the top, and they were smaller, that'd be fine. or if you could just remove the handles (easily), that'd be fine as well. otherwise what is apple smoking?

</STRONG>
Doesn't the current G4's have handles on the bottom?

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by jblakeh1:
<STRONG>Is there even such a thing as a slot loading cdrw?</STRONG>
Well... the iBooks have slot loadsing CD-RWs...

<paul s>
Jul 17, 2001, 08:12 PM

hahhhhaahhaahha, someone is really taking it out of you lot with this g4 enclosure thing.... there is noooo waaay that is anything except a joke, its plain and simple ridiculous, I go for the 4400 spray painted with stuck on g4 handles theory.......

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2001, 08:13 PM

Slot loading superdrive? Is there even such a thing as a slot loading cdrw?
Yes. One word: iMac.

That G4 is a little strange looking. If they released it, it wouldn't go very well with any of the accessories (especially the displays), so they'd have to change those too. The handles are narfsky. Yuck.

IMHO, 10.1 had *better* be released tommorow, or Apple is going to be in some really deep sh*t. The press would simply love to jump on them and rip them to peices if they dissapoint. This is Mac OS X's big debut. We can't have a slow and buggy OS missing basic features as the "big debut". I have faith in Apple.

I'll be at Macworld thursday!!!

Maxintosh

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2001, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>

Well... the iBooks have slot loadsing CD-RWs...</STRONG>
Really? I could have sworn they had tray loading CD-RWs similiar to the Lombard/Pismo Powerbooks.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: dfbennett ]
Regards,
Dave

Forum Links
Forum Rules