Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.1

Mac OS X 10.1 (Page 2)
Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
<STRONG>There was one thing Steve skipped due to some glitch - creating a Desktop Picture from the digital camera images.
</STRONG>

Look closely at the image of the System Preferences on the "new version" Mac OS X website. There is a icon called Desktop in the top row, directly below the word "personal".

"www.apple.com/macosx/newversion/images/systempreferences.jpg"

So it looks like the preferences for the desktop moved from the finder to system preferences.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 09:40 PM

Wake up, guys. The 10.1 demo was completely faked. What did you think all those OS X engineers were doing working overtime every day at Apple? Making the system run faster? Geez.

Clearly the whole point of Steve showing us how "fast" OS X is now was to trick us into thinking they were actually working hard to address our concerns. There was obviously a hidden dual-800 with a rigged dock, running all the apps in the background.

Also, did you REALLY think Microsoft or Adobe would actually have something ready to demo? Those were just animated mockups. Sorry. Oh. And Warcraft III? That was running on Windows.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2001, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>

So a OLD G4 sat next to him, who says that it was running the OS. What was under the table?

They could have also just used a old case for the new guts.

I am sure that those 10.1 demo's were on a dual 800MHz as it looked to good to be true.</STRONG>
For proof that Steve was using the machine on the table beside him, watch closely during the CD-burning demo. After he hits eject on the keyboard to the eject the DVD, there is a closeup of him putting in the CD-R for the CD burning demo. I think that's strong evidence that he's using the machine beside him.

However, in the same scene, the tray of the optical drive clearly has the dark gray/black colour that the new SuperDrives have, not the plain beige colour of the old SuperDrive. So, while Steve is using the G4 sitting beside him housed in the old case, the insides may not necessarily be the same as the old G4s.

While the demo may "look too good to be true", the fact stands that there exists a machine now capable of launching Apps in one bounce, launching multiple Apps in a couple of bounces, and resize windows blazingly fast. We'll know soon enough just which Macs fall under that category.

sderaj
Jul 18, 2001, 10:27 PM

<STRONG>

So a OLD G4 sat next to him, who says that it was running the OS. What was under the table?

I am sure that those 10.1 demo's were on a dual 800MHz as it looked to good to be true.</STRONG>
So people complain about the features not being in 10.0.4 or below, then the engineers put it in 10.1 and now they do not get anything for it? Apple would like to make SOME money off of it...

Orbit
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2001, 11:23 PM

I've been saying this for close to two years now, but people are still posting the same stupidity. It seems as though many think that Steve Jobs is some money crazy fiend who thrives on fooling everyone into thinking that he's really running a computer company when he's really just coming up with fake products and demos to lull us into submission while somehow making loads of cash off CD upgrades. Come on, people. Programming is *hard*, and programming an operating system is hard^2. If there's a feature missing or if something isn't as fast as you'd like it, do you think it's because Apple's engineers are incompetent? Trying to spite you personally? Or do you assume they're working on it and with time all the issues will be ironed out. Seriously, over the past few years, the greater Mac community has turned into a bunch of whining children who expect the impossible and are always let down. If some issue gets addressed, there's always something new to complain about- good thing we represent a small subset of the community, and the majority of people are out there doing actual work while we sit around and bicker about what kind of machine was used on the keynote.

Ok, I'm done ranting for awhile.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2001, 11:46 PM

I raise my cup to you Orbit! I am also pleased with the comfort of apreciating Apple's progress and innovation, however little, without the need to have my emotional state and perception of the world tainted by expectation and a calendar. And if there is nothing new, I continue to enjoy what I have already.

Not that my desires and pocket book ever agree of course.

best wishes,
Darcy
[email protected]
Macbook (white glossy) 2.16GHz | 4GB RAM | 7200RPM HD | 10.5.x

udecker
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2001, 11:53 PM

Just realized that this is a rehash - sorry guys

------------------------------

Anyone notice anything interesting in this picture: http://www.apple.com/macosx/newversi...windowview.jpg
?

The scrollbar arrows are grouped at bottom and right - not on each end!

Thank god - hopefully we'll be able to do something similar to the applescript hack and put both arrows on BOTH ends.

Now if we could only get the vertical scrollbar to be on the left side (as an option, of course) like it was in NeXTStep, then we'll be set, I think.

-Craig

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: udecker ]

SkullMacPN
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 12:38 AM

<STRONG>So a OLD G4 sat next to him, who says that it was running the OS. What was under the table?</STRONG>
We can rule that out, Steve interacted with the G4 by inserting and removing a DVD and CD-R.
<STRONG>

Perhaps, but something tells me otherwise. Even when releasing new products, Steve has been known to run OS demos (even back on the pre-OS 9 days) on comps that were the former top of the line.

If he were to use the new product in an old case, wouldn't that be a tad misleading (or even false advetising)?

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>

Perhaps, but something tells me otherwise. Even when releasing new products, Steve has been known to run OS demos (even back on the pre-OS 9 days) on comps that were the former top of the line.

If he were to use the new product in an old case, wouldn't that be a tad misleading (or even false advetising)?</STRONG>
Did you read the above post:

However, in the same scene, the tray of the optical drive clearly has the dark gray/black colour that the new SuperDrives have, not the plain beige colour of the old SuperDrive. So, while Steve is using the G4 sitting beside him housed in the old case, the insides may not necessarily be the same as the old G4s.""

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 01:50 AM

I found this interesting...

Go here: http://a1744.g.akamai.net/7/1744/51/.../dockprefs.jpg

Copy the image and zoom in really close (I went to 2000%). The menu sure doesn't look transparent to me...

Could THAT be how they sped up the menus?
Or is it just the ho-hum desktop background?

I just want a damn copy of it
Be happy.

admac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2001, 02:07 AM

Originally posted by mac freak:
<STRONG>I found this interesting...

Go here: http://a1744.g.akamai.net/7/1744/51/2ba608a3c6d6e2/www.apple.com/macosx /newversion/images/dockprefs.jpg

Copy the image and zoom in really close (I went to 2000%). The menu sure doesn't look transparent to me...

I just want a damn copy of it </STRONG>
eh, i don't think that means anything. i just looked at my own dock's pop up windows. and the pop up for fire actually goes over the edge of my omniweb screen to the desktop background (fairly large span of contrast) and i can BARELY see the transparency now. evidently, the dock menus' transparency is set to a high percentage opacity already. i would imagine that that menu over that plain looking background would make it practically impossible to detect the transparency.

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 02:15 AM

Originally posted by mac freak:
<STRONG>I found this interesting...

Go here: http://a1744.g.akamai.net/7/1744/51/2ba608a3c6d6e2/www.apple.com/macosx /newversion/images/dockprefs.jpg

I just want a damn copy of it </STRONG>
I agree with admac. If you've ever seen an opaque sheet (Sherlock, Print Center), they're a lot brighter anyway (almost disturbingly so).

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 02:36 AM

I am sure that those 10.1 demo's were on a dual 800MHz as it looked to good to be true.
I seriously doubt that. Far more likely, the demos were on one of the dual 1.1GHz systems that Apple has in its labs.

If you all recall MWSF, the demonstrated OS X was fast too (far faster than it was on the G4 733 systems that they shipped).

I set up a similar system to load domain name server software much faster at my old job. A virtual disk was created using memory, then the apps and config files were disk imaged into the virtual disk so that the whole lot could essentially be read from real RAM.
Several vendors sell non-violatile hard disks (sort of like a hardware RAM disk with power supply) that offer performance many times greater than any standard drive. I would fully expect Apple to use such a hard disk (costing thousands of dollars) for a public demonstration.

That's not to see OS X 1.1 won't be a significant improvement over its current state, but I think anyone who expects performance to be as good as it was shown will be in for a letdown.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Ken_F2 ]

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2001, 03:07 AM

Originally posted by Vader's Robotic Stump:
<STRONG>

Did you read the above post:

However, in the same scene, the tray of the optical drive clearly has the dark gray/black colour that the new SuperDrives have, not the plain beige colour of the old SuperDrive. So, while Steve is using the G4 sitting beside him housed in the old case, the insides may not necessarily be the same as the old G4s.""</STRONG>
If you go to the Apple Store and look at the educational prices, the G4 comes in four configurations instead of three. The lowest-end one still comes in the old cases and has a 733. It seems quite possible that the computer used in the keynote was one of the new G4s which come in an old case upgraded with a new SuperDrive.

[email protected]
Senior User
Jul 19, 2001, 03:10 AM

oi vay.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

[email protected]
Senior User
Jul 19, 2001, 03:18 AM

dontcha all know there's real life and death conspiracies out there?

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>
Now if we could only get the vertical scrollbar to be on the left side (as an option, of course) like it was in NeXTStep, then we'll be set, I think.

</STRONG>
Uh - what's the point in having the scroll arrows all nicely group together in one part of the window if you then go and move the vertical scroll bar to the opposite side of the window ? Doesn't this defeat the whole point ?

JLL
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2001, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by no use for a nick:
<STRONG>Here's what really gets my panties in a bunch:

"Print Away
Print Center now ships with over 200 PostScript printer description files such as those from Hewlett-Packard, Lexmark and Xerox. There is also improved support for most USB printers, with automatic selection of the driver for that particular printer."

That's directly from Apple's site on the "10.1" page. Anyone notice who's missing on that list? Epson. My anger grows yet again with this remarkably lame company.

nick</STRONG>
Does Epson make PostScript printers?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

<Curious>
Jul 19, 2001, 04:13 AM

Just wondering what the build number of the 10.1 is? Can anyone at MWNY have a look at the demo machines and tell us?

<Curious>
Jul 19, 2001, 04:30 AM

Just wondering what the build number of the 10.1 is? Can anyone at MWNY have a look at the demo machines and tell us?

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 04:59 AM

Another thing about this picture is how ugly the whole Aqua experience is - particularly when there's a lot of buttons/widgets, etc within a small space.

I've dumped 10.04 and gone back to 9 full time, I've been with Scott H all the way.

But, watching the keynote it looks like X might finally become useable from my perspective - that is someone who has no interest in UNIX, needs certain key app's which don't even run in Classic, and still finds the 9 UI more useable (I know it's screamed since day one on your SE/30, but on my G4 it's been a dog).

I don't know whether it was the rdf or what, but yesterday felt like a turning point. (I'd be interested to know whether this increased UI responsiveness is in fact due to optimization or just that the cpu has far less work to do, probably both?)

Yes they've dumped live window contents updating, but the novelty of that soon wore off anyway - I'll be much happier with the responsiveness. Also Steve mentioned user customize options. Does anyone dare hope that opens up the possibility of themes?

Also, having the top-right menu-bar customizable is great. especially if it's as easy to write additions as it is dockletts...

So things are looking up, all I need now is a stripe-free theme, non-traffic light widgets whose shape betrays function, and some proper audio app's...no mention of them, sadly....and I'll give X another spin.
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 05:08 AM

"...The General Preference Panel lets you choose how many Recent Items to show in the Apple menu. And for more readable text at smaller sizes, you can now choose to turn off font smoothing for applications you choose the threshold of font size 9, 10 or 12..."

Woo hoo....!!!!

Kiddo311
Jul 19, 2001, 05:42 AM

GEEEEZZ

&lt;rant&gt;

would all whiners PLEASE leave the community and buy a pc, so we could get on here

&lt;/rant&gt;

okay, i'm mad i don't get some people here. i'm no apple fanatic, just a happy user/shareholder. from my perspective the keynote was excellent:
  • - emphasis on macosX software
    - macosx 10.1 looking good (and don't give me that faked-quad-g4-gigHz-whatever - just think for one second: apple definately reads these forums, because nowhere else did i hear so much whining just for faster "window rezising" and they made it such a priority that it even went on the big-screen with just 4 other points. so apple knows what is going on. do you really think they'd pi$$ of their "hardcore users" by faking launchtimes with static-ram hds and such crap - i know i wouldn't.
    - they lowered their prices and beefed up the specs on their SUCCESSFUL products. (as a shareholder i'm so glad they didn't engage in some financially dangerous experiment as their own pda oder another cube like fiasco)
so pleeeaaase cut apple some slack, or just leave. they can't do miracules (&lt;- is that spelled right?) and jobs had to even apologize to the families, so that really must be some hard working programmers!!

apple is so quick and innovative don't forget that. the plan is to fully move to osX in a year (osX is a completely new system) - how long did it take micro$oft to get rid of their dos legacy? win95/98/98se/me and finally with 2k and xp the loose dos - think about it and goddamned think different =)

Kiddo311 - sorry people, guess i should read less here

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2001, 06:00 AM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>
And any CD from Apple always cost $20. This is not a "profit center" for Apple.</STRONG>
Yeah, well, it's not a cost center either. Just think of how long an unskilled worker would need to read the order, pack the CD in a small box, write the name and adress on it and put it in the out bin.

That'll be 15 min MAX !!! How much does the CD cost ? 1$ maybe. Copying another 2$, well, don't tell me that they don't make money with it.

For real, if I would open a business and they would outsource it to me, I for sure would do it cheaper !!!

so far,
-t

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Curious&gt;:
<STRONG>Just wondering what the build number of the 10.1 is? Can anyone at MWNY have a look at the demo machines and tell us?</STRONG>
Plus you'd think they'd let us have that build - just as an interim update, it's got to be better than all the previous interims...

I mean, like, now!

sawtooth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2001, 06:10 AM

Why is everyone rubbishing what for me was the highlight of a relatively dull show. The balance of this thread has been negative seeking out reasons to bash Apple and ignore the gains being made. The only disappointment was that we have to wait until September. But this upgrade answered nearly every major concern being raised about Os 10 and added stuff we didn't expect, such as the networking compatibility (which I believe is essential need as so many of us work on mixed networks. Can we have some enthusiasm please! In 2 months we will have a near complete OS and a list of major apps on the shelves and we can start to say nice knowing ya to 9 and Classic as the move to 10 is complete by Mac World SF. Keep up the good work Apple.

<Daniel Canaris>
Jul 19, 2001, 09:45 AM

Mac Users will never like OS X. They never cut any slack, they never are grateful for what they have. I am heavily pleased on what the progress on Puma has turned out to be, it's great to see Apple is really listening to their 'loyal' customers.

Guys think for a moment, Puma offers us great stability and performance. Now, think... If Apple is working so hard on speed and stability, will they have time for big new features? I think not .

And is there any evidence that Apple turned off live content updating? All Steve showed being resized was a few Finder windows, which there isn't much being moved around except the scroll bars... and real 'movies' or something to back this up?

Thanks for your time

Zadian
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Daniel Canaris&gt;:
<STRONG>Mac Users will never like OS X.</STRONG>
So i'm no mac user, because i like Mac OS X ?

I always thought that the Computer in front of me is an iMac. Must be a NeXT cube in disguise...

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by turtle777:
<STRONG>
That'll be 15 min MAX !!! How much does the CD cost ? 1$ maybe. Copying another 2$, well, don't tell me that they don't make money with it.
</STRONG>
i don't think it's a question of whether or not they do, or even whether or not they want to make money with it. If they shipped them at cost, like $5, then wouldn't we all be ordering them? If it's such a frivolous cost, wouldn't more people say what the heck, and want a nice, solid, CD for use if they ever had to reinstall the whole system?

i think it far more likely that the $20 cost is a deterrent, to prevent Apple from winding up constantly sending CDs to people who are quite capable of downloading the software.

<hhmpf>
Jul 19, 2001, 10:55 AM

yup,all i do is troll these forums like you.
Haha! Now I'm a troll because I think Mac OS 10.1 will be ready in September! That's a new one. I guess I just like to see the bright side of things. You are funny. In the most pathetic way.

<Anonymous>
Jul 19, 2001, 11:58 AM

Apple Emp,

I disagree with your claim that rumor sites set up Mac users for a let-down.

The main reason I am disappointed is the announcement that Puma will not be out for another two months. However, both MOSR and ThinkSecret correctly predicted that Puma would not be out at Macworld. Thus, my disappointment has nothing to do with reading rumor sites.

If there was any misinformation that contributed to the "overexcitement," it was more likely to come from these boards, including your own posts, than from rumor sites.

I believe our disappointment is indeed Apple's fault. I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally, there is really only one reason I was so eager for great products at Macworld: Cheetah is a piece of junk.

I'm not trying to incite a flame war, nor am I saying that all versions of Mac OS X will always be bad. However, after 4 months of living with supposedly temporary problems, and now finding out that it will be at least 2 more months before they are fixed, I feel like I am the one who has to point out that "the emperor has no clothes."

After four months, I am fed up with waiting 40 seconds every time I launch Internet Explorer, when even a crummy OS like Win2000 can launch it instantaneously. I am tired of my "crash proof" OS frequently hard-freezing. After four months, I am sick of the fact that DVD still doesn't work. I have very limited money, and I gave a lot of it to Apple for a computer with a DVD player, and then even more for OS X, and after all this time, they still don't work together. And after four months, even extremely frustrating problems that would be trivial to fix, like the auto-scroll bug when you type a filename in list view, still have not been fixed. Even opening windows within applications still takes a unreasonably long time. These problems are all Apple's fault.

Yes, some things do work well in Cheetah - this is the first version of the Mac OS where Sleep actually works - but we need an OS that we can describe as "complete and polished," not as "some of it works."

Thus, the reason I was excited for Macworld was simply the hope that Apple would finally release a version of Mac OS X whose advantages outweigh its disadvantages. Since I already paid for OS X, I think your company is expecting an unreasonable amount of patience from me in working on this goal. Something along the lines of 10.1 should have come out about two years ago.

proceedNeXT
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2001, 11:59 AM

I can't believe that this happens again. Guys, Wake up! Steve is fooling you. The menues aren't transparent anymore, therefore he set up this uniform background color. Look at the first page of the MacOS X section on Apple's website. All other screenshots before showed a transparent menu. This new one doesn't. Maybe he has even used an overclocked G4 in his demo. Don't think, that he wouldn't do that. Why , you ask? Because he had done it before. Back ago in the days of NeXT at the NeXT expo, Steve demoed a color movie running smothly on his NeXT box. What we didn't know at that time, was that this movie wasn't played by the NeXT box, but by a recorder that did not stand on the stage. He fools you, whenever he thinks that it is necessary.

Vader's Robotic Stump
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by booboo:
<STRONG>I don't know whether it was the rdf or what, but yesterday felt like a turning point. (I'd be interested to know whether this increased UI responsiveness is in fact due to optimization or just that the cpu has far less work to do, probably both?)</STRONG>
You might want to read here: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=006663

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 01:02 PM

As I said in the Build Number thread below, this build is 5F25, and when I asked the apple rep to do hostinfo, it came up Darwin 1.4, built Friday July 13, and xnu version was 156.1 (not positive on the decimal)

mumble
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by SkullMacPN:
<STRONG>We can rule that out, Steve interacted with the G4 by inserting and removing a DVD and CD-R.</STRONG>
If we're going for a conspiracy theory, that doesn't prove a thing - there's no evidence that the discs he used were the same ones shown on the screen.

Originally posted by Ken_F2
<STRONG>Far more likely, the demos were on one of the dual 1.1GHz systems that Apple has in its labs.</STRONG>
And just what are you basing those two assumptions on?

<STRONG>Several vendors sell non-violatile hard disks (sort of like a hardware RAM disk with power supply) that offer performance many times greater than any standard drive. I would fully expect Apple to use such a hard disk (costing thousands of dollars) for a public demonstration.</STRONG>
I certainly wouldn't, for a public demo I'd expect them to use the most vanilla, most tested fast machine available. Alpha software on prototype hardware, are you insane?

Does OS X even work with SSD?

<STRONG>That's not to see OS X 1.1 won't be a significant improvement over its current state, but I think anyone who expects performance to be as good as it was shown will be in for a letdown.</STRONG>
Yawn, FUD at 11.

Originally posted by booboo
<STRONG>non-traffic light widgets whose shape betrays function</STRONG>
Er, like what, squares? Or are you talking about OS 9's hieroglyphics?

<STRONG>Plus you'd think they'd let us have that build - just as an interim update, it's got to be better than all the previous interims...

I mean, like, now! </STRONG>
Oh just so funny! Be still my aching sides. Are you available for childrens' parties?

Originally posted by Zadian
<STRONG>I always thought that the Computer in front of me is an iMac. Must be a NeXT cube in disguise...</STRONG>
MWNY Keynote 2001: The Truth Revealed.

Originally posted by &lt;Anonymous&gt;
<STRONG>I am fed up with waiting 40 seconds every time I launch Internet Explorer, when even a crummy OS like Win2000 can launch it instantaneously.</STRONG>
As has been said many many times before, Win2k can't launch IE quickly, it's already running.

<STRONG>Something along the lines of 10.1 should have come out about two years ago.
</STRONG>

Yeah, and I guess the OS you wrote was so much more advanced in '99

JB72
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>What do you all think of the new menu icons on the right?</STRONG>
This made me stoked. I been mailing Apple about this for a while. Hope fully they'll make it easy enough for 3rd party apps to use too.

Steve made some kind of mention of dock apps being able to have functions w/o docklings too. Another good thing.

Overall 10.1 was the first version I've seen (demoed) that I was truly impressed with. If we get some more selection over appearence I think it will be darn near perfect. Paris Expo anyone?

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jul 19, 2001, 09:10 PM

Menu icons on the right are very good. Will check tomorrow if the menus have optional smart scrolling.

But Carbon has Services! YES!
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by mumble:
<STRONG>[/qb]

Er, like what, squares? Or are you talking about OS 9's hieroglyphics?:</STRONG>
Absolutely.

Much better than nothing.

booboo
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by mumble:
<STRONG>[/qb]

Oh just so funny! Be still my aching sides. Are you available for childrens' parties?:</STRONG>
Actually I wasn't trying to be funny.

And knowing you were around why would I even attempt to?

You, sir, are a shining wit

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2001, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
<STRONG>Menu icons on the right are very good. Will check tomorrow if the menus have optional smart scrolling.

But Carbon has Services! YES! </STRONG>
Wow, really? I didn't notice that... but that's great if it's true!

Anyway, I stopped by the MWNY expo this afternoon, and watched for a little while an perky Apple fellow worked his way through demos of 10.1. (They won't let mere mortals touch the mouse, naturally. )

Some notes of interest, for all:

- Scroll arrows have the option of being placed at opposite ends of the scroll bar, or both together, in "General" in Sys. Pref.

- In "General" too is an option to hide file extensions. Also interesting is the addition to hide file extensions on a file-by-file basis as well, in the Show Info window. (I doubt the guys on the Apple HI mailing lists are be very happy with this, but I think it's a sort of decent compromise.)

- Desktop pictures has been moved to Sys. Pref as well ("Desktop", as noted in this thread) and sports a nifty row of Apple-supplied pictures right in the panel you can scroll down. You can also go right to your Pictures folder or any other you choose.

- App-specific contextual menus in the Dock (y'know, like "Play", "Next Song," etc. for iTunes) are there, for... well, for iTunes. Nothing else, it seems. Yet. But it looks insanely useful. Hopefully Apple will be releasing an API for this.

- They weren't showing Classic at all, as it's "not optimal at this point." Which I take it means it barely worked, if at all.

- Rounded semi-circles for non-active apps in the Dock: not there.

- The system menus also look quite useful... very nice. I've a feeling that Apple won't be releasing an API for these, for third-party apps; in an attempt, I think, to avoid the long line of tiny indecipherable icons that every interface seems to eventually, over time, creep toward. (But probably developers can figure it out anyway, so: good luck.)

- Need I say it? Everything -- launching apps, resizing windows, the whole UI -- everything is much, much, much faster. (There's some curious window-contents flickering when resizing windows in, say, IE.) On the other hand, one should keep in mind it's being *only* shown on Dual 800mhz G4s.

My own conclusion...? Well folks, imho it's not going to be as fast on your B&W G3 or Rev. B iMac (or my Pismo, for that matter) as shown in Steve's demo; but I've a good feeling it's going to be good, and far, far better than 10.0.

That's all I can remember. No doubt there's (and will be) much more.

Here's looking forward to a speedy summer.

[edit: typos, etc.]

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: lookmark ]

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: lookmark ]

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2001, 12:54 AM

the demo could of been done on a dual 867 Mhz with an overclocked system bus and the fastest hard drive macs can run all in a "old" case.

think about it this would be a good reason not to let anyone play with os x.1. everyone could of looked at the exact system configuration.

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2001, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
<STRONG>the demo could of been done on a dual 867 Mhz with an overclocked system bus and the fastest hard drive macs can run all in a "old" case.

think about it this would be a good reason not to let anyone play with os x.1. everyone could of looked at the exact system configuration.</STRONG>
No I think that's pretty unlikely. A faster HD wouldn't speed things up much and I really doubt Apple is going to risk running OSX on an unstable system like you're suggesting.

More likely 10.1 is just faster and they want everyone to get a look at it. If you've ever been to any of the last few MW you'd know Apple reps are always at the controls of X except when nobodys around and they do favors.

cwasko
Senior User
Jul 20, 2001, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
<STRONG>the demo could of been done on a dual 867 Mhz with an overclocked system bus and the fastest hard drive macs can run all in a "old" case.

think about it this would be a good reason not to let anyone play with os x.1. everyone could of looked at the exact system configuration.</STRONG>
Yea, and there are a team of hamsters and mice on wheels behind the curtains generating all the power for the entire show floor! They'll do anything to trick us. Thanks gawd we're smart enough to see through it all.

Scroot
Jul 20, 2001, 01:28 AM

Will you all relax? Everything is fine. The demo shows the updated speed. Speed is better, for all systems. Why do you think that there was nothing at Macworld? Because everyone is working on OSX. That's why Steve gave that very personal speech to the employees at the end of the keynote. These cats are working long and hard for us. I don't care if it's just a little faster, I appreciate the work. this is what separates apple from the rest, the personal nature of the work. I thank everyone at apple for doing their best, and I can't wait for 10.1!

frawgz
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2001, 01:43 AM

Personally, I don't buy all this "10.1 is faster" nonsense. What reason does Apple have to actually make OS X faster for us? Even if they did have a reason or two, why should we believe it actually happened?

It makes far more sense (now just hear me out here) that they were running the demo on a super-secret prototype of a quantum computer housed in a PowerMac case. We all know that the lifespan of the silicon/transister chip-based computer is nearing its end; it's only natural that Apple has quantum prototypes in their labs. *Obviously*, they used those for the demo. How else can you explain the speed?

Scroot
Jul 20, 2001, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by frawgz:
<STRONG>Personally, I don't buy all this "10.1 is faster" nonsense. What reason does Apple have to actually make OS X faster for us? Even if they did have a reason or two, why should we believe it actually happened?

It makes far more sense (now just hear me out here) that they were running the demo on a super-secret prototype of a quantum computer housed in a PowerMac case. We all know that the lifespan of the silicon/transister chip-based computer is nearing its end; it's only natural that Apple has quantum prototypes in their labs. *Obviously*, they used those for the demo. How else can you explain the speed?</STRONG>
Dude - i have been reading your posts, and maybe it is because I'm a little drunk, but you are damn hilarious. This sarcasm is beyond anything that I could come up with, and I'm notorious for just that!

<bixby L>
Jul 20, 2001, 02:34 AM

URL=http://www.macslash.com/article.pl?sid=01/07/19/2122206&mode=thread]MacSlash user w/ hands on 10.1 info[/URL]

<Hornet>
Jul 20, 2001, 04:21 AM

Hey guys, just registered here. Long time AI poster but thats been down for so long...

I can say for a fact that 10.1 IS A ___LOT___ faster!!! Believe it.

I have seen 5D15 running on a G4 (466). Launch times were 1/2 to 1/3rd of the bounces as they were before. Steve had a far newer 10.1 too! Seriously guys 10.1 is faster, and it rocks Any questions on 5D15?

SYN
Senior User
Jul 20, 2001, 05:22 AM

Nice to see you here. Hope the AI boards are back up soon.

Could you run ps -aux or top in the terminal and tell me how many threads the Finder is running?
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Kate
Senior User
Jul 20, 2001, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by &lt;Hornet&gt;:
<STRONG> Seriously guys 10.1 is faster, and it rocks Any questions on 5D15?</STRONG>
How's it doin' on a G3? Any chance to test it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules