Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Tips for Photoshop Beginner

Tips for Photoshop Beginner
Holigen
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 05:23 PM

Does anyone have any tips for someone whos interested in using Photoshop for creating images (ie interfaces for OS X themes, websites, etc. and possibly other images)? I havent found any books that cover in any depth how to create these kinds of graphics. Any help from someone who works with Photoshop and who makes graphics with it (not image manipulation, which so many books on Photoshop seem to cover) would be greatly appreciated.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2004, 06:01 PM

3 steps to brushed metal:

1. Fill with 20% grey.

2. Filter> noise> add noise... 4-5%, gaussian, monchromatic.

3. Blur>motion blur... 30-40 pixels.

Voila!

Edit: The Adobe Classroom in a Book series is good, as are the Sam's Teach Yourself in 24 Hrs. series. As is Inside Photoshop, from New Riders Publishing.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2004, 06:57 PM

Thanks

Ill check out those books you recommended too.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

designbc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 15, 2004, 08:12 AM

Try to find books by Scott Kelby, like "Down & Dirty Tricks". He is awesome!
There is no spoon

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2004, 02:06 PM

Russell Brown has some interesting tips at http://www.russellbrown.com/tips/photoshop.html. He kind of talks down to you though and I feel like I'm watching the Bill Nye the Science Guy of Adobe Photoshop.
Apple user since 1987

Thorzdad
Jul 19, 2004, 05:05 PM

One of the best things you can do is get Illustrator as well. Those two work great in tandem. For example, you can do some pretty elaborate type work in Illustrator and then simply copy/paste the art into a Photoshop file, ready for extra goodness.

I would also suggest a Wacom tablet.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
One of the best things you can do is get Illustrator as well. Those two work great in tandem. For example, you can do some pretty elaborate type work in Illustrator and then simply copy/paste the art into a Photoshop file, ready for extra goodness.

I would also suggest a Wacom tablet.
Both good points. I love my Wacom tablet.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
Russell Brown has some interesting tips at http://www.russellbrown.com/tips/photoshop.html. He kind of talks down to you though and I feel like I'm watching the Bill Nye the Science Guy of Adobe Photoshop.

....but I like Bill Nye the Science Guy. Especially the rhyming thing...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 02:29 AM

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2004, 02:32 AM

I also HIGHLY recommend Photoshop User magazine. It can be found at bookstores and while it's kind of expensive, I believe the lessons included in it are invaluable. Much more approachable than an entire Photoshop for Dummies-esque book, IMO. I probably learned half or more of what I know about Photoshop from those bloomin Photoshop User tutorials back in the day.
Apple user since 1987

fiesta cat
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2004, 10:57 AM

Scott Kelby has a Photoshop book for digital photographers, but I would recommend it in general - it has a lot of all-around good info for manipulating photos. Lots of how-tos.

Holigen  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2004, 06:26 PM

Awesome, thanks for the input guys!

Forum Links
Forum Rules