Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > What iPod are you buying?

View Poll Results: What iPod are you buying?
Poll Options:
4G 20GB 31 votes (32.98%)
4G 40GB 31 votes (32.98%)
Sweet deal on a 3G!!! 3 votes (3.19%)
Nothing 29 votes (30.85%)
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll
What iPod are you buying?
stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2004, 11:42 AM

Who's buying a 4g iPod?

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 11:50 AM

i've got a 3G 15GB that's serving me well, and should continue to do so. The only new thing i'd buy, probably, is a 10GB iPod mini (if they released one). I just really like that design more.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 19, 2004, 11:59 AM

Where is the iPod mini option?!?!? And don't forget that a 60 GB is in the wings...
Originally posted by MaxPower2k3:
i've got a 3G 15GB that's serving me well, and should continue to do so. The only new thing i'd buy, probably, is a 10GB iPod mini (if they released one). I just really like that design more.
I'll "upgrade" from my 15 GB 3G to an 8 GB (or possibly 6 GB) iPod mini when it comes out.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 12:04 PM

Where's the "I just bought a 3G last week, you insensitive clod!" option?

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 12:33 PM

I'm sitting on the fence but I think it's inevitable that I'll eventually get a 4G 20 GB iPod to replace my 2G 10 GB. Not because I hate my current one, but because it is broken (kinda). The problem is determining whether it is broken enough to justify buying a new one, or if I should hang onto my old one anyway even though the sound cuts out occasionally.

It's inevitable though, I tell ya. The click wheel is calling me...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 12:44 PM

I have a silver Mini on order to go with my 40 3G. I'll likely get a 4G when the 60GB model is announced, then I'll give the 40 to my S/O (she's using my 2G 10GB model now but is thinking of getting a Mini as well).

The 60 would be worth it, but I don't think the 40 has that much more to offer.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 12:56 PM

i found a buyer for my 3g 15gig and i placed an order for a 4g 20gig this morning, with overnight delivery

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 01:11 PM

having trouble deciding between 20 and 40. i have a smal collection but i havent ripped my cd's yet so it could get large quite fast. i would probly get the remote which is forty bux. cconsidering the remote, the forty gig ipod costs only 60 bux more to double the hdd space. then it comes with dock n carry case ... which is supposedly worth 80, i wouldnt buy it otherwise. so ignore the dock n case. a twenty with remote is 340. 60 dollar difference for 20 more gb of storage... do i need it .. not for a long time ibet .. but still.. woah ... so i am going to have to decide. the 40 is supposed to be noticeably large, but i have heard the new 40 is the thickness of the old 15/20 ... any truth to that? i lost the stat sheet to the 3g 15gb ipods. i'm such a ipod virgin ...cant wait to pair it up with my new powerbook =P..

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2004, 01:30 PM

Lancer, how old are you? You entire post reads like an extended sms from a 16-year-old. Sorry to go off topic, but wow.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:38 PM

I ordered. a 40 gigabyte to replace my 1G 5gb model which is falling apart. My music collection is about 8 gigabytes now, but I would like to keep a backup copy of my Home directory too. Plus I wanted the dock, which costs $39 itself. I'm excited My iPod gets a lot of use!

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2004, 01:53 PM

Stickting with my 3G (or is that G3? ) iPod. Barely over half-full, although I like the idea of the click-wheel.

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 01:58 PM

I have a 15gb 3G and just can't find enough about the new one to make me move up. The one biggie i don't like is what they tout, the clik wheel. It's a nice design but I can see stuff getting behind it and dirt find a way in. my current 3G is sealed in that regard except for the ports and i can live with that since i don't touch them as much.

I like some of the new software and hope they eventually offer it but if not I can live without it. If they would have brought out BT in the 4G I would've considered it strongly for the freedom of wires while listening to music. Hopefully the one from Ten Technologies will resurface and make that a moot point for me.

What i want to wonder is this. Since the new iPod has no wireless in it what will they offer as a remote for itunes control over airtunes? Must be something in the works.

shecky
Jul 19, 2004, 02:59 PM

i'll be looking to get a 4G 20GB for the following reasons:

-greatly prefer the clickwheel to the 3G touch sensitive
-want more battery life
-could care less about the dock, remote, or case

so as soon as i find a buyer for my excellent condition 3G 20GB with all the accessories + original packaging (hint, hint- send a PM if interested) i'll get one.

how long do you think until new cases, etc.. come out for the 4G?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 03:21 PM

I keep trying to convince myself that I should get one, I really want one, but I try to justify it to myself. I have a Palm Tungsten with SD card as my MP3 player at the minute, and a phone. If I get an iPod, its 3 boxes to carry, so the question I end up with is - Can iPod and phone do the same job as Palm and phone. Phone contract coming up, I could get a bells and whistles semi pad phone and iPod, and sell the Palm. My MP3 folder is 38gig, some of it is junk I will never be interested in listening to, but I'm thinking 40 gig little white box here... and I'm on holiday next month at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (which is expensive to see the shows, but as Jeff Green said at my first fringe 2 years ago "F**k it, I'm on holiday!"), and there is an Apple retailer in Edinburgh...

I'll ahve a play with one in Edinburgh, but what is a click wheel like to use, is there a definite push down clicky sound where the wheel physically moves down when you press a 'button'?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Lancer, how old are you? You entire post reads like an extended sms from a 16-year-old. Sorry to go off topic, but wow.
12 lol btw do u sms 2? i h8 typing on those small buttons! tHiS iS sO tOtaLlY KooLeR! thank god i dont type my essays and research paper this way. i am just too lazy to type in a clear and concise manner. thanks for the pointless criticism

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Too Artificial
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 04:28 PM

I just ordered the 4G 20GB to replace my OG "Mac only" 1G 5GB unit. It's been great, no problems, but I'm down to 10MB free, and that's because I've selectively moved stuff around/off it. Can't wait for the new one.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 05:12 PM

I just returned my 2 day old 15GB iPod and bought a 20GB 4G with Dock
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2004, 05:40 PM

nice work
did you order online or get it at retail?
i want photos. someone provide photos

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2004, 06:56 PM

I ordered it online...I have work all week so I cant make it down to the Apple store,I will post pics as soon as it arrives.

tdvorak
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2004, 07:27 PM

I ordered mine this morning. Updated from a 1st generation. I am really excited about it!

2 G4 PowerBooks
1 FP iMac
1 B&W G3

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2004, 08:22 PM

I have a silver Mini on order to go with my 40 3G. I'll likely get a 4G when the 60GB model is announced, then I'll give the 40 to my S/O (she's using my 2G 10GB model now but is thinking of getting a Mini as well).

The 60 would be worth it, but I don't think the 40 has that much more to offer.
60GB is not going to happen.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2004, 09:46 PM

Oh, it'll happen. Maybe not for a few months, but it'll happen. Apple announced that the 60 GB was not coming "anytime soon," but that's too vague to mean anything. They said the same about the G5 iMac a little while ago. They're just trying to get people considering waiting for the 60 GB to instead buy the 40 GB right now. Then when the 60 GB does come out, they'll buy that too.

I think by "not anytime soon" they meant "not in the next 4-6 weeks." But I bet you'll be able to get one if you wait until October or something.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 05:02 AM

how important is the dock? what justifies the 40 dollar price tag? is it that big a deal? or is it .. iono .. just pretty and slightly convenient. i wont need to connect the dock to speakers or anything as i like using earbuds. and it comes with firewire to transfer .... it comes with a ac to charge it. a dock would still need the ac brick/plug to power it. ? sorry .. i dont yet own any ipod but am going to buy one within a week. deciding on either a 15 3g or a 20 4g. i thought about purchasing the forty gig because i wanted the remote, the dock n case were bonus's .. but just found out the forty no longer comes with remote/carry case? (i coulda sworn i saw it there this morning!) ... but my co worker has 2 spare remotes, and he's gonna give me one so i'm probly going to get the 4g 20gb. will the dock do wonders for me? or is it just something that will provide a slight convenience?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by OzarkMtn:
From the same company that said 'no G5 iMac soon', then announces a G5 iMac. (soon is relative I suppose though)

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
how important is the dock? what justifies the 40 dollar price tag? is it that big a deal? or is it .. iono .. just pretty and slightly convenient. i wont need to connect the dock to speakers or anything as i like using earbuds. and it comes with firewire to transfer .... it comes with a ac to charge it. a dock would still need the ac brick/plug to power it. ? sorry .. i dont yet own any ipod but am going to buy one within a week. deciding on either a 15 3g or a 20 4g. i thought about purchasing the forty gig because i wanted the remote, the dock n case were bonus's .. but just found out the forty no longer comes with remote/carry case? (i coulda sworn i saw it there this morning!) ... but my co worker has 2 spare remotes, and he's gonna give me one so i'm probly going to get the 4g 20gb. will the dock do wonders for me? or is it just something that will provide a slight convenience?
i had the dock when i got the original 15gig 3g (when it was 10, 15, 30gig). i opted for the 15 over the 10 because of the remote and dock. the dock is what i used the least.
i have a powerbook, so i hardly ever at a regular place in my house working on my computer, and at a desk is not usual. so having a dock ready and waiting for me to drop the ipod in and it syncs never quite worked out. i think if i had a powermac it would be different, since it was not going anywhere and i did not have to plug in the dock all the time. i ended up leaving the dock next to my stereo and plugging the audio out into the stereo. that worked.

but now i have airtunes and that has just negated me ever plugging my ipod into the dock.

i have a 4g 20gig on a fedex vehicle on its way to my house right now, i will be selling my 3g ipod with the dock and i do not feel like i will miss the dock.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 09:30 AM

i have a 4g 20gig on a fedex vehicle on its way to my house right now, i will be selling my 3g ipod with the dock and i do not feel like i will miss the dock. [/B][/QUOTE]

please post lots of pix .. i'm insanely curious whether the menu play fastforward and rewind buttons are backlit like those spymac pics ... i'd be quite dissapointed if they didnt .. it doesnt matter if the click wheel makes it easy to use in the dark, i prefer to have it lit .. afterall there could always be an option to switch it off in the settings. pix please pix please pix please. aesthetically .. i think i like 3g more .. so if those buttons on the clickwheel dont glow .. it'd be another blow aesthetically ... hrmmmm.

also .. people complain about the 3g's row of buttons .. is that helped with a remote? less fumbling if a remote was used? or is the click wheel soooo much better than the row of buttons? and is that row that bad of a problem? (i've read alot of bad comments about the four buttons, but i like how there are no moving parts on the case (outside of the case atleast))

thanks

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 10:26 AM

i will take lots of photos when i get it.
the whole opening the box and taking millions of photos for macnn forums drill... gotcha

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
the whole opening the box and taking millions of photos for macnn forums drill... gotcha
nice...hope you get it tonight. (new thread!!)

so i can happily trot to the apple store when they get them in tomorrow.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2004, 02:45 PM

Even if I had the money for a 40GB, i'm still getting a 20. I don't need much storage space, only have about 5GB of music. Plus there is always my old 10GB.

Anyway, the 20 weighs less and is thinner, therefore I like it more. The case is crappy and I already have a remote (that I rarely use) and the dock is only an extra 40$.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by HotSoup:
Anyway, the 20 weighs less and is thinner, therefore I like it more.
Then a Mini should interest you even more.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 05:14 PM

Then a Mini should interest you even more.
how do you figure that if he has 5GB of music? Last time i checked, the iPod mini was 4GB.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by mishap:
how do you figure that if he has 5GB of music? Last time i checked, the iPod mini was 4GB.
There's no rule that you have to have all of your music on the player. If size is more important, then the mini will fit his needs better.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 05:45 PM

I'm going to be buying a 5G iPod. Either that, or a 2G Mini.

These 4G don't make me want to upgrade at all.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by mdc:
=) *Beaming*

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2004, 05:55 PM

Click the following link for lots of pix of the new 4g ipod compared to the older ipods and even a mini .. the new ipod is almost as thin as the ipod mini!
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/0,239...=131820,00.asp

Longstride
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2004, 06:15 PM

Wow, I didn't think the 1mm thinner would make that much of a difference!

What I really want to find out is if the click wheel is exactly like the one on the mini. I think the ergonomics of the mini make the most sense but when I was playing around with one at the apple store one thing bugged me. To facilitate the click wheel on the mini, there is a very small gap around the edge between it and the aluminum housing that allows it to rock, and for whatever reason I never really liked it.

From the pictures you can just barely make out that the gap exists on the mini but the new 4G looks almost like it is somehow sealed around the edge with a flexible substance of some kind. If that is the case I will buy the 4G if not I will be picking up a 3G as soon as I find out.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2004, 06:25 PM

Aww man,the new wheel isnt illuminated?

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2004, 06:28 PM

I think they put a 4G 20 gig next to a 3G 40gig. It looks like it's more than a millimeter thinner.

Chris

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by tekno_geek911:
Aww man,the new wheel isnt illuminated?
Maybe, there hasn't been confirmation yet.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2004, 07:09 PM

My family has held back on getting an iPod. The pressure has been incredible since 3G and the mini. Needless to say, the 4G put us over the edge. Right price, right size, click wheel and battery.

We bought 4 when the Apple Store came back on line with the new iPods. Free engraving for all. All 20 gigs.

Lots of smiles in my house waiting for the big delivery.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by OzarkMtn:

..so all those 60gb drives Apple is buying will be used for doorstops?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 08:06 AM

finally decided i will grab a 15gb ipod off amazon for $249 (picked up batteries for 1.50 to get the order over $250. i decided because i wasnt overwhelmed by the 4g. i will say it looks better in person, the pics do it NO justice. the fact that the face is flush .. it's a beautiful thing. it's also very thin. i would have bought it if it wasnt sold out (thursday afternoon, san francisco apple store). now i decided to grab the 3g. i liked the interface just fine, and was planning to buy it a week ago. i was sidetracked because of the 4g ipod, but realized i could do without the 5gb to save 100 bux. (if order is over 250, you get a amazon.com $50 gift certificate, which i will use to buy a sd card for a digital camera i plan to buy) i was going to buy this same 3g ipod for 299 so i welcome the price drop. i guess if i bought the 4g, i wouldnt upgrade for a while, but this 3g at a highly discounted price will allow me to update sooner .. possibly when there is a bigger battery upgrade and a color screen. basically .. when the updates are more substantial. i also liked the fact that there are no moving parts on the exterior besides the hold switch. i plan to take it to the gym alot, and i expect alot of sweat, dust, finger oils to hit the face, and i assume a 3g is easier to clean than a 4g. oh well .. sorry for the long post, just thought this may help some people who are sitting on the fence between a 3/4g ipod

Forum Links
Forum Rules