Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > About how long does it take to ship after you order a Powerbook?

About how long does it take to ship after you order a Powerbook?
MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 12:40 AM

I'm actually very afraid of buying a PB online after I have heard of all these horror stories of it never coming or the object is broken when it comes. But about how long does it take to get to my house?
iamwhor3hay

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 22, 2004, 02:18 AM

ALL you hear is the horror stories. The 99% of people who have no problems don't go online to bitch that everything went right!

Regardless, look around this forum... there are plenty of threads to be found with a search of people ordering and receiving machines.

tooki

t4r1q
Jul 22, 2004, 02:35 AM

mine arrived in 3 business days (taiwan>alaska>tennessee >manitoba>ontario). not the most direct route, but it got here eventually and in perfect condition

jld
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2004, 02:51 AM

My 12" powerbook arrived on my doorstep about 18 hours after I ordered it in perfect, beautiful, refurbished, condition.
12" AlBook • 15" Albook • G4 Cube • iSight • Original iPod • PB 100 • Newton 110 • Quicktake 100

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2004, 08:02 AM

I ordered mine at 2 PM on a Saturday. It arrived at my work at about 3 PM Monday. 49.5 hours.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 08:12 AM

2 days from China to Texas

rglenn
Jul 22, 2004, 08:50 AM

Ordered mine about a week ago. Shipped very early yesterday (BTO / Developer Discount verification caused delays, I guess), and it's currently in Manitoba.

t4r1q, how long did yours take to get from Winnipeg to Hamilton?

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by MrForgetable:
I'm actually very afraid of buying a PB online after I have heard of all these horror stories of it never coming

Well, look at it this way. If you don't order it, you can be sure it will never show up. You have a much better chance of it showing up if you actually order it.

nuggetman
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 09:05 AM

ordered mine on a tuesday, fedex said it would come by 1030 on monday but it was delivered to me in NJ by 1030am Friday

t4r1q
Jul 22, 2004, 12:34 PM

rglenn, it left winnipeg at 8:30pm and arrived at my doorstep at 10:07am the next day

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 02:44 PM

I ordered the day before July 4th, changed the order the morning of July 6th (upgraged VRAM and HD), it shipped that day, and I have it on Thurs. All that with the free shipping choice.
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2004, 03:01 PM

Order my 12" PBon Monday night (~Tuesday) 7/20 and it is supposed to ship tomorrow 7/23...expect delivery on Tue or Wed next week.

iPod ordered on tuesday and it's on the way!

cewade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 05:18 PM

It took mine about a week to get here, but hat was most likely because I ordered extra RAM and a Superdrive that they had to install. The actual shipping time was extremely fast, 2 days!
12" Powerbook G4

MrForgetable  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2004, 05:56 PM

did you guys use the 15 dollar option for 2-3 day shipping or just the regular free ground shipping? thanks
iamwhor3hay

cewade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2004, 06:22 PM

I got the $12 shipping
12" Powerbook G4

t4r1q
Jul 22, 2004, 06:44 PM

i used the free shipping

rglenn
Jul 23, 2004, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by t4r1q:
rglenn, it left winnipeg at 8:30pm and arrived at my doorstep at 10:07am the next day
Mine left 'peg at 8:04pm Central last night, and arrived about a half hour ago.

There's a major problem with that: I'm at work, so I can't play with it for another 5-6 hours.

So, for the record: ordered last Thursday evening, shipped Wednesday morning, and arrived Friday morning.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2004, 11:40 PM

I used the free shipping and it was at my door in PA a day earlier than fedex expected... took 2 days to get here from china. Although it did take like 6 days to ship (BTO).
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by jorgem4:
Order my 12" PBon Monday night (~Tuesday) 7/20 and it is supposed to ship tomorrow 7/23...expect delivery on Tue or Wed next week.

iPod ordered on tuesday and it's on the way!
My order has been delayed twice now to the 7/26 and the to the 7/30 anyone else that has ordered a PB latly having dalays?

Thanks.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2004, 02:57 PM

non BTO model, took 3 days from taiwan->alaska->memphis->new jersey. standard free shipping by the way.
4G ipod took 4 days from china (after laser inscription)

headgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 03:15 PM

I have the same problem that you do. I ordered a BTO 17" PowerBook w/ the upgraded (5400) Drive & the Upgraded VRAM. I placed my order through SmallDog.com (the only reseller I know of that will do a BTO PowerBook). I decided to go with SmallDog.com cause I don't have to pay Sales Tax (as opposed to Apple that charges Sales Tax in every state.)

Long story short, Smalldog sent my order into Apple on the 15th & they told me that they would get it within 7-10 business days... so I started pestering them on Jul 22nd... at that point, the system they place orders through (basically a version of the AppleStore for resellers) stated that it would ship on the 26th. Today I called to see if they got the computer yet & they now tell me that it was pushed back to the 30th!! (and of course, they don't have any one they can talk to at Apple... I need someone to upgrade my shipping!)

Of course my tale is bitter sweet... while I wait for my new Mac, I have to work from home (cause my old PB died)... but my co-workers & boss is getting a little pee'd off at me & it wouldn't be too surprising if I lost my job over this (as this is going on 3 weeks that I am out of the office!)

On a side note: Smalldogs did tell me that they are having problems getting regular stock Powerbooks from Apple... so they jumped to the conclusion that there may have been a production problem or that there was a surge in the market.

I know that I was trying to put off purchasing this replacement until WWDC was over... as I held hope for a g5 Powerbook (but I guess that might not come til next year). It's very possible that there were many people who waited to place there order, to see what Apple would unveil at WWDC.

Snake
Jul 28, 2004, 04:03 PM

I ordered my BTO 15" PB from 1 800-MY-APPLE on Jul 23rd, it got shipped out today (Jul 28th) from Shanghai China via Fedex. The tracking site says it will be delivered on Monday, but I expect it sooner (I got the 2 day shipping, so it better). No order delays whatsoever, but the only BTO option I got was the extra 256k RAM chip (which I am regretting). My girlfriend is staying home most of Friday waiting for the Fedex guy for me
15" 1.33ghz Al Powerbook w/1GB RAM, 64mb ATI VRAM
60GB 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 HD
20GB 4G iPod w/click wheel

IcedOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2004, 04:29 PM

My order has been delayed twice now to the 7/26 and the to the 7/30 anyone else that has ordered a PB latly having dalays?

Thanks.
I ordered a standard 15" Combo (NOT BTO) on Sunday 7/25 and it was supposed to ship on Monday 7/26, then it was delayed to Tuesday 7/27, and then to Wednesday 7/28 and does not show as shipped today. I got the e-mail that told me that they have to cancel my order and refund my money by law unless I contacted them to say otherwise. I'm kinda pissed because I could have driven 45 minutes to the nearest Apple store. They've got plenty of 15" Combos in stock.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 28, 2004, 10:09 PM

Thanks.

mine was due to ship 7/26 and delayed to 7/30. i've heard of supply probs with 15" models. i ordered a 12" superdrive CTO w/ 5400rpm HD.

8minute
Jul 28, 2004, 11:08 PM

My PB 12" BTO 80Gb HDD took about 3 business days to arrive. I was pleasantly surprised as I was expecting it to take awhile since it was a BTO.

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2004, 08:49 AM

Thanks.
Yei! It shipped today!

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 09:17 AM

For me it was an excrutiating few weeks before my ghz Tibook arrived.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Jul 29, 2004, 11:43 AM

2 days from order to my door.
Ryan

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2004, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by teknopimp:
mine was due to ship 7/26 and delayed to 7/30. i've heard of supply probs with 15" models. i ordered a 12" superdrive CTO w/ 5400rpm HD.
i got my shipping notice today and it's due Tuesday!

headgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 11:44 PM

Ok... my 17" BTO (5400 drive & 128MB VRAM) was supposed to ship the on the 26th, pushed back to the 30th... now it's supposed to ship on the 4th (common Apple, I placed my order over a half month ago!!!)

PS: I would not recommend smalldog.com to anyone! They told me that my BTO PowerBook would ship 7-10 business days... and it hasn't. I know that a lot of this has to do with Apple, but they refuse to call Apple to see what's going on with my order! The only reason I bought through smalldog.com was to save $160 on sales tax. I may look back on this in two months a whole lot happier having saving the money... but right now I pissed that smalldog refuses to call Apple & refuses to upgrade my shipping!! To add insult to injury... smalldog takes FOREVER to answer their phone (if they do at all!)

If you have a different smalldog experience, I would love to hear it!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 01:36 AM

ordered June 29 around midnight, shipped on June 30, and arrived july 2 in the afternoon. BTO PB 15"

the guys who had everything went smoothly usually don't talk much about it.
Ryan

Michael1963
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2004, 01:56 PM

I ordered my PowerBook 15 1.5ghz on a Sunday @ 11pm and got it on Friday @ 10am. It had 1gb of Ram in 1 slot, faster hard drive, 128mb memory. I selected 2 day shipping, I think it came from Texas.

That was 4 weeks ago, I have been very happy since, no problems, things are running perfectly.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 03:15 PM

My Apple quote said 1-3 business days, and that was immediately after the order was placed. So pretty quick.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules