Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Has my G4 Sawtooth OSX HD crashed?

Has my G4 Sawtooth OSX HD crashed?
Sirfishalot
Aug 14, 2004, 03:45 AM

Strange things have been happening with my G4 tower. I have 2 drives; one with OSX 10.3.x (whatever latest is) the other has OS9. I normally boot from the OSX drive, but lately weird stuff like CD not being able to eject and the computer not able to shutdown without holding in the power button. Most recently it has been freezing right after boot up. I get the white screen with grey Apple logo, but no timer going around. I would either have to push the restart button several times to get around this. But now the only thing I can do is boot up from the OS9 drive and the other drive doesnt appear on the desktop at all. Execpt for once and then I tried running Disk First Aid to repair the OSX volume. It stated there were some errors with the B tree directory. Hit the repair button and with about 6 second left to go in the whole process the computer just locked up. Now I cant get the drive to show up again at all.
When a drive crashes can it be a slowly deteriorating process or does it just happen all of a sudden and that's the end of it?

Any sugesstions?
Thank you.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

Boot from the OSX Install CD. When it hits the Installer, go to the File menu and select Disk Utility. Do the repair on the HD from there. Also, in Disk Utility, note the SMART status on the drive. If it's failing or has problems, then the repair is only temporary - back up all data from the drive and replace it.

If the SMART status is ok, then the repair should suffice.

TechTool Pro can find and repair unmounted volumes. DiskWarrior is the best disk repair utility, but it usually requires the drive to be mounted first.

Sirfishalot  (op)
Aug 16, 2004, 11:04 AM

Reader50,
Thanks, I tried that but it did not work. There was some sort of "Sibling Error" in the middle of trying to repair the disk then Disk Utility locked up. After I rebooted the OSX drive no longer appears as a volume in Disk Util and now I cant even get the other OS9 drive to boot up.
I put a Lite-On CDRW in this machine some time ago and it really hasn't been the same since. Often a CD will not be allowed to eject and dissapears from the desktop. I just wondor if it could have anything to do with whats happening?

bstone
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2004, 01:15 AM

It is odd to think that the CD-RW and the HD can be connected re this issue, but if it a thing to check out. Remove all extra thingies, cards, drives, etc so you can narrow down the problem being a conflict of hardware of a hardware failure. Let us know.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Forum Links
Forum Rules