Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Honestly, whats the attraction to Bush?

Honestly, whats the attraction to Bush?
TubaMuffins
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 02:57 PM

I know that this will stir up a lot of controversy, but I simply do not understand the support for W. To know the opponents argument helps one solidify their own. He has failed as a leader (businesses he has owned have failed), he has maybe served time in the armed forces (military records disappeared), he has flip flopped (he originally opposed the Department of Homeland Security), and he has a history of drug use. I want the republicans in this forum to give me a straight answer because I would like to know how they feel. Do not try to make him look good by comparing him to other politicians, show him for his own merits. Thanks.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 03:01 PM

Again, another one of those "I am against Bush" people.

Honestly, who the hell is for Kerry ? All I see is people who are "against Bush". And this my friend is a silly tactic.

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 03:07 PM

nowhere in my post did i say i was pro-kerry. you're failure to answer my question and show me your reasons shows that maybe you dont have very good reasons. just answer the question honestly. I want to know. Not trying to spew my own beliefs, i just want to know why Bush supporters like him because I don't see the attraction. geez, i don't think I could've phrased my original post anymore nicely.

BlackGriffen
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 03:08 PM

In the trade-off of moral clarity and nuance, Bush choses moral clarity. It makes things seem easy, simple, and clear, even if he's wrong. In times of uncertainty, people like that illusion of clarity and simplicity in the world. It gives them comfort.

BlackGriffen
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use. -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 03:13 PM

Originally posted by TubaMuffins:
nowhere in my post did i say i was pro-kerry. you're failure to answer my question and show me your reasons shows that maybe you dont have very good reasons. just answer the question honestly. I want to know. Not trying to spew my own beliefs, i just want to know why Bush supporters like him because I don't see the attraction. geez, i don't think I could've phrased my original post anymore nicely.
OK, you want my honest, simple answer as to why I am pro-Bush ?

(1) 9-11 - - - - The USA must and will win the war. Bush is the right man to do this.

End of Answer

Anything else = irrelevant for me.

Other pro - Bush people might have different reasons, but that's the only reason I need.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:
In the trade-off of moral clarity and nuance, Bush choses moral clarity. It makes things seem easy, simple, and clear, even if he's wrong. In times of uncertainty, people like that illusion of clarity and simplicity in the world. It gives them comfort.

BlackGriffen
I think that's an excellent and accurate answer. To illustrate, Bush says "The terrorists hate us 'cause of our freedom". He thus makes it an issue of patriotism and ignores that they may actually hate us because of the US's actions in the middle east/world.

If you aren't completely appalled, then you haven't been paying attention.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 8, 2004, 03:18 PM

Sadly this is the attraction...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 03:18 PM

Oh okay, I'll bite for a second -- let's see how much I can post before I rush off to a meeting...

1) I like getting tax cuts. I have a high household income and we get a well-deserved tax break because I've been paying more than most people for several years.

2) I'm a social conservative. I don't support gay marriage, abortion, legalizing drugs, etc.

3) I think people on welfare and other "social" programs should be "forced" to work, rather than sit back, do nothing, and get a "paycheck."

4) I want conservative judges in the Supreme Court, and Bush has a better chance of appointing one than Kerry.

5) I'm proactive, not reactive, and I agree with Bush's statement that we have to "fight the terrorists abroad, or face the consequences at home."

6) I want our military beefed-up in all ways possible.

7) I want our space program beefed-up in all ways possible.

Okay, that's the top seven off the top of my head, now I'm off to try and get out of a meeting I don't want to sit through...

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by BlackGriffen:

BlackGriffen
I completely agree here, and it is easily demonstrated in this political sandbox�I mean, forum�by most Bush supporters and/or "righties," "neo-cons," or whatever you want to call them.

Willful ignorance is teh win.

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:

(1) 9-11 - - - - The USA must and will win the war. Bush is the right man to do this.

End of Answer

Other pro - Bush people might have different reasons, but that's the only reason I need.
Great, maybe you can explain why you think he is the right man. Thanks for your honest answer.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:

I'm sad to say that no matter who is president, the Space Program (well NASA anyway) is screwed.

Spacecraft driving divots in the Utah desert don't help, either

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 03:29 PM

I think we should forbid ourselves from exploring other planets until we learn to take care of the planet we're currently screwing up. At the very least, let's screw up one planet at a time.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 03:31 PM

Great, maybe you can explain why you think he is the right man. Thanks for your honest answer.
He is the right man, because I have strong moral convictions (I am not one of those religious nuts, nor am I religious in any way really). I believe he also has strong moral convictions. I do not trust Kerry, nor do I think his strategy is a good one. I do not believe in appeasement. I do not believe in sucking up to people who don't like us.

I am one of those people who believes that a "big" war has indeed started. Many on the left disagree with this, as they constantly make excuses for terrroists and promote the policies of Osama bin laden.

I consider many on the left to be traitors (michael moore etc.), and there is no way in hell I would ever vote for Kerry. He might be a decent man etc., but I don't believe he would make a good wartime president. I am of the opinion that he would be a catastrophe as far as the war is concerned.

I want to see the enemies of the USA dead (Muslim terrorists).

That's why I think Bush is the right man.

Of course other things, such as the economy etc. is also important to me, but those things pale in comparison to what I feel is the #1 most important issue.

Beewee
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 03:43 PM

I know that this will stir up a lot of controversy, but I simply do not understand the support for W. To know the opponents argument helps one solidify their own. He has failed as a leader (businesses he has owned have failed), he has maybe served time in the armed forces (military records disappeared), he has flip flopped (he originally opposed the Department of Homeland Security), and he has a history of drug use. I want the republicans in this forum to give me a straight answer because I would like to know how they feel. Do not try to make him look good by comparing him to other politicians, show him for his own merits. Thanks.
I think that it would have to be his vocabulary that impresses me most.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 8, 2004, 03:44 PM

End of Answer

What war are you on about? The 'war on terror'?

Then why did he go into Iraq when the place to be was Afghanistan and chasing Bin Laden's ass all over Tora Bora. You would have more people agreeing with you if he "stayed the course". I'll just put in a mention in for Saudi Arabia too...but Iraq? Give me a break!

But he flippity floppitied and went off on some follied idiotic tangent and killed 1000 Americans and some underestimated 14.000 innocent Iraqi's and blew ...what? 350 billion of your hard earned money...or is that money borrowed from foreign countries because the U.S. is a debtor nation?!!?

I may change my username to Befuddled Rooster.

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Atomic Rooster:
What war are you on about? The 'war on terror'?

Then why did he go into Iraq when the place to be was Afghanistan and chasing Bin Laden's ass all over Tora Bora. You would have more people agreeing with you if he "stayed the course". I'll just put in a mention in for Saudi Arabia too...but Iraq? Give me a break!

But he flippity floppitied and went off on some follied idiotic tangent and killed 1000 Americans and some underestimated 14.000 innocent Iraqi's and blew ...what? 350 billion of your hard earned money...or is that money borrowed from foreign countries because the U.S. is a debtor nation?!!?

I may change my username to Befuddled Rooster.
Iraq, Iran, Syria etc. It doesn't make a difference to me. Iraq was a good place to start. They are all enemies.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 03:54 PM

15 replies and already

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 03:55 PM

Originally posted by KaBlooey:
I think we should forbid ourselves from exploring other planets until we learn to take care of the planet we're currently screwing up. At the very least, let's screw up one planet at a time.

So much for the American spirit for the eternal quest for knowledge.

Maury

saab95
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 03:56 PM

Honestly, whats the attraction to Bush?
He lowered our taxes.
Hello from the State of Independence

By the way, I defend capitalists, not gangsters ;)

Atomic Rooster
Sep 8, 2004, 04:04 PM

Iraq, Iran, Syria etc. It doesn't make a difference to me. Iraq was a good place to start. They are all enemies.
Hehe...you mention all the countries that are not central to the war on terror.

WHAT about Bin Laden? WHAT about Saudi Arabia? Or are you of the opinion of Bush that "I'm not concerned with Bin Laden". This guy from Saudi Arabia with Saudi terrorists and Saudi money murdered 3,000 people in NYC.

Is this what attracts you to Bush?

Shut-up Railhead...and your goofy pics...this thread is bang on!

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 04:10 PM

WHAT about Bin Laden? WHAT about Saudi Arabia? Or are you of the opinion of Bush that "I'm not concerned with Bin Laden". This guy from Saudi Arabia with Saudi terrorists and Saudi money murdered 3,000 people in NYC.

As I have already stated in another thread. Saudi Arabia & Pakistan = our bitches, for the moment. They will do what we say, and they are cooperating with us. When/if they stop, then we pursue a different policy.

As far as Bin Laden is concerned, we will eventually get him, dead or alive, if it takes 2 more months, or 2 more years or 20 more years.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 8, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by saab95:
He lowered our taxes.
First president in the history of these here 'United States of America' to do so at a time of war.

Tell me who will pay for the Iraq war? The U.S. government does not have the cash. It's borrowing it from foreign banks and countries.

Your children's children's children?

Iraqi oil?

Who?

What?

Where?

When?

These are questions you should be asking yourself.

Just think how much better off you would be if you had 350 billion in your pocket.

Well it's time for my daily sojourn to Timmy's for a coffee and read the paper.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:23 PM

It's highly overrated. So now, how about addressing my point and save the dog poop pics for another day? We're screwing up the planet. Why should we trust ourselves with a new one? To spread more American Spirit?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 04:24 PM

Heh, you said "shut-up" -- people still talk like that? As for my pics, I like them and so do a couple of other people. Just thinking of that dog looking at the camera while taking a crap all akimbo makes me giggle.

As for the derailed pic (which I also like), what started out as a "why do you Republicans support Bush" thread turned into YET ANOTHER thread about his policy.

Maury

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 04:25 PM

Just think how much better off you would be if you had 350 billion in your pocket.

We are at war, what part of that don't you get ?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 04:28 PM

It's highly overrated. So now, how about addressing my point and save the dog poop pics for another day? We're screwing up the planet. Why should we trust ourselves with a new one? To spread more American Spirit?
Dang, you don't like the dog pic either? Cripes, that's one of my favorites.

Anyway, I hardly think EXPLORING space equals "screwing up another planet" -- how you made THAT leap is beyond me.

Maury

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 04:28 PM

As for the derailed pic (which I also like), what started out as a "why do you Republicans support Bush" thread turned into YET ANOTHER thread about his policy.

Maury
You are spot on there, I have to admit.

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 04:30 PM

Again, another one of those "I am against Bush" people.

Honestly, who the hell is for Kerry ? All I see is people who are "against Bush". And this my friend is a silly tactic.

Someone with a signature like yours is accusing people of "silly tactics?"

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 8, 2004, 04:34 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
Someone with a signature like yours is accusing people of "silly tactics?"
I believe my signature to be 100% true. Osama would rather Kerry win, than Bush, IMO.

deedar
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 04:34 PM

Maury
And for compassion, tolerance and understanding.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:36 PM

Dang, you don't like the dog pic either? Cripes, that's one of my favorites.

Anyway, I hardly think EXPLORING space equals "screwing up another planet" -- how you made THAT leap is beyond me.

Maury
However I made the leap is beside the point, considering you replied to said "leap" with something about the American spirit. I then responded to that and now you're crapping out on me (no pun intended).

If you don't want to talk about it, just say so. I can take it. Really. I can.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by deedar:
And for compassion, tolerance and understanding.
What's that have to do with the underfunded Space Program?

Maury

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 04:40 PM

However I made the leap is beside the point, considering you replied to said "leap" with something about the American spirit. I then responded to that and now you're crapping out on me (no pun intended).

If you don't want to talk about it, just say so. I can take it. Really. I can.
Talk about WHAT? I said I'd like to see the Space Program beefed-up -- it needs more funding for space research. You then go on to say something about exploring other planets (hello, not possible yet) and not screwing them up.

What's that have to do with the underfunded Space Program -- or are you trying to change my comment's subject to be about environmentalism...?

If you don't want to talk about the underfunded Space Program, just say so. I can take it. Really. I can.

Maury

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 04:48 PM

I like a leader that tells it like it is and sticks to his guns even if the view is unpopular.

I know where W stands on issues. I don't know if where Kerry stands this week on Issue A will be the same as his stance next week.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:52 PM

Talk about WHAT? I said I'd like to see the Space Program beefed-up -- it needs more funding for space research. You then go on to say something about exploring other planets (hello, not possible yet) and not screwing them up.
Hello. I seem to recall Bush's Weapons of Mass Distraction speech earlier this year when he mentioned something about going to the Moon and Mars. I don't want to go to the Moon or Mars until we clean up the mess on Earth, i.e. water, air etc. Am I wrong that this is part of the "space program"?

What's that have to do with the underfunded Space Program -- or are you trying to change my comment's subject to be about environmentalism...?
Well, it is a leap, if you consider the next brain neuron over to be a leap. You said space, I said I'd rather not thank you, gave a reason, you present me with dog poop. I take exception to said dog poop, I slap you with dog poop and challenge you to a duel, knave.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:53 PM

What's that have to do with the underfunded Space Program?

Maury
Absolutely nothing Maury. Just another lame attempt by the left to ridicule...

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Spoogepieces:
I like a leader that tells it like it is and sticks to his guns even if the view is unpopular.
Yeah, me too. Wasn't that Hitler dude a hoot?!?

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:55 PM

Do not try to make him look good by comparing him to other politicians, show him for his own merits.

Pretty funny, considering that all the dems can offer of Kerry is that he isn't Bush. Nice platform, how 'bout some issues?

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Pretty funny, considering that all the dems can offer of Kerry is that he isn't Bush. Nice platform, how 'bout some issues?
Here you go pal, though I somehow doubt you'll bother to read them.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 05:00 PM

Hello. I seem to recall Bush's Weapons of Mass Distraction speech earlier this year when he mentioned something about going to the Moon and Mars. I don't want to go to the Moon or Mars until we clean up the mess on Earth, i.e. water, air etc. Am I wrong that this is part of the "space program"?

Well, it is a leap, if you consider the next brain neuron over to be a leap. You said space, I said I'd rather not thank you, gave a reason, you present me with dog poop. I take exception to said dog poop, I slap you with dog poop and challenge you to a duel, knave.
I'm not even going to bother with your comments after this post because you make it clear that you have no concept of space exploration or the benefits therein. If all you think "space exploration" equals is "going to another planet" then you really should read-up on all the things our space program has given us.

We don't live in science fiction or Bradbury books. We don't just hop onto a rocket with bubble helmets and go zipping through the galaxies, landing on planets with our trichorders.

Medicine. Technology. Weather. Communications. Geological studies. Oceanographic studies. And the list goes on...

People like you are the reason our funding is gone to crap.

Maury

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 05:05 PM

I thought the original post was a question for Bush supporters. Wouldn't it stand to reason that they would/should be the ones to respond to the tread?

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 05:15 PM

I'm not even going to bother with your comments after this post because you make it clear that you have no concept of space exploration or the benefits therein. If all you think "space exploration" equals is "going to another planet" then you really should read-up on all the things our space program has given us.
I never said "space exploration equals going to another planet". One aspect of it DOES include exploring other planets, and that is the aspect I referred to. You said:

What is it about exploring other planets that does NOT fit in with "all ways possible"? I was referring to ONE of those WAYS and you take me to task for it.

Stop doing that.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 05:18 PM

[B]Talk about WHAT? I said I'd like to see the Space Program beefed-up -- it needs more funding for space research. You then go on to say something about exploring other planets (hello, not possible yet) and not screwing them up.
Actually going to other planets, mainly Mars, *is* possible. Just takes gobs of money and the commitment. Oh, and lots and lots of freeze-dried ice-cream.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 05:21 PM

Okay since this thread is already derailed I'd like to respond to this.

How is Bush beefing up the space program? All he did is launch it on a grand new vision, but he's only supplying NASA with meager budget increases, making NASA cut other programs to support the new ones. Sure, the new programs are exciting, but reorganizing NASA's priorities is not equivalent to beefing up the space program.

Ironically, Dennis Kucinich called for tripling NASA's budget during the primary campaign.

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 05:24 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Absolutely nothing Maury. Just another lame attempt by the left to ridicule...
let's stick comments with individuals, generalizing sounds like a very weak argument and gains you no points for a strong argument. and trust me, you want points

Originally posted by saab95:
He lowered our taxes.
Wouldn't you, as a patriotic, war supporting, Bush pledging citizen rather pay more taxes to support our war on terror instead of depending on money from international banks and foreign countries? Wasn't it the Republican party who attacked Kerry, saying he wanted to rest the war on the decision of the UN while Republicans wouldn't even have a war if it weren't for foreign money. You can't spend however many billions of dollars if you lower taxes, that's for sure. I'm not saying to go ahead and jack up taxes in to the sky, but I am saying we should pay for a war we are fighting as much as we can.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 05:26 PM

Maury
Pictures of Bush with the constitution in the National Archives aren't appreciated.

TubaMuffins  (op)
Senior User
Sep 8, 2004, 05:29 PM

RAILHEAD and KABLOOEY:

here, start a thread about space exploration.

KaBlooey
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 05:35 PM

RAILHEAD and KABLOOEY:

here, start a thread about space exploration.
Sorry, didn't mean to derail but it turned out that way. Perhaps if railhead would respond directly and stop with the sleight of hand BS it would have been over quickly.

I now return control of your thread to you. ORIGINAL THREAD:

I know that this will stir up a lot of controversy, but I simply do not understand the support for W. To know the opponents argument helps one solidify their own. He has failed as a leader (businesses he has owned have failed), he has maybe served time in the armed forces (military records disappeared), he has flip flopped (he originally opposed the Department of Homeland Security), and he has a history of drug use. I want the republicans in this forum to give me a straight answer because I would like to know how they feel. Do not try to make him look good by comparing him to other politicians, show him for his own merits. Thanks

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 8, 2004, 05:48 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
Okay since this thread is already derailed I'd like to respond to this.

How is Bush beefing up the space program? All he did is launch it on a grand new vision, but he's only supplying NASA with meager budget increases, making NASA cut other programs to support the new ones. Sure, the new programs are exciting, but reorganizing NASA's priorities is not equivalent to beefing up the space program.

Ironically, Dennis Kucinich called for tripling NASA's budget during the primary campaign.
Yes, the increases have been paltry ($16.2 million for 2005), but they are increases nontheless. Kerry simply answers by saying he'd have to see how the deficit was at the time.

I'm also a supporter of private sector exploration, but I'd really like to see the PS and govt go toe-to-toe -- the results of the competition could be staggering.

As for Dennis Kucinich, yes, that would be great for people of my ilk -- too bad he's off the mark on everything else I like in a President.

Maury

Spoogepieces
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 05:51 PM

Yeah, me too. Wasn't that Hitler dude a hoot?!?
Nothing important to add, how typical.

Forum Links
Forum Rules