Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iBook closed lid + external display

iBook closed lid + external display
fg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2004, 06:17 AM

Hi,

Was wondering if it is possible to have an external screen connected to an iBook and have the lid closed? When I close the lid it just goes to sleep.

I am pretty sure I read about some way to make this work sometime ago.

Thanks

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2004, 06:59 AM

According to what I have read, clamshell mode is not available on the iBook. Apple reserves such features for the PB. Not the answer you're looking for, but that's all I have.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 18, 2004, 12:18 PM

Search for a utility called "Screen Spanning Doctor", which enables desktop spanning and clamshell mode on later-model iBooks.

tooki

P.S. this belonged in the iBook forum.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 08:54 PM

That's all fine and good unless fg has an older iBook like I do. (I have the last, very last iBook before they upped the VRAM and added the disabled Spanning hack.)

fg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 06:39 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have the latest ibook and it looks like I have to have to lid open when I have it connected to an external screen. Not that big of deal. Don't want to mess with firmware upgrades. Read on the forum that some iBooks had broken.

Thanks again

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 07:59 AM

Your safest (though not cheapest) option is to go the PB route, if keeping the lid closed is really important to you.

Mike

siMac
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the heads up Tooki, I just installed Screen Spanning Doctor on my iBook and I'm now rockin' hard with iTunes Visuals/Simpsons episodes on the TV while still being able to work on the main screen.

Sweet.

Damn Apple for crippling our hardware in order to invent feature gaps between their ranges. I can't say this kind of behaviour surprises me though, by now I've gotten used to Apple's dodgy business practises.
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Forum Links
Forum Rules