Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will an iBook udate come soon?

Will an iBook udate come soon? (Page 3)
Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
... snipped offtopic flamebait.... I desperately need a new laptop, but not one that can barely run the latest OS... snip...
my 1.2ghz 768mb RAM 12" runs Tiger like a dream. stfu with your ridiculous babble.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2005, 06:38 AM

my too. Just got my new ibook today

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2005, 10:34 AM

congrats, toffe!!!

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

alimunnik
Jul 12, 2005, 02:04 PM

Before climbing on your high horse and singing the praises of how well your new iBooks run Tiger, I suggest you refer to Apple's own weg page concerning system requirements for the iLife 05 suite that I assume came together with your new acquisition. The absolute minimum RAM requirement posted is 256, but they RECOMMEND 512. Furthermore, for HD video in iMovie you MUST have 512. Both the PB and even the lowly eMac ship with this amount, but not our beloved iBook. To take full advantage of iLife 05's features, one must go to the trouble and expense of installing additional RAM, so it is incorrect to say that Tiger and the iBook are a perfect match, if you accept that all new iBooks are shipped with iLife 05 together with Tiger.
I am shocked; deeply shocked, that a Mac aficcionado from Japan would not wail at the realization that his or her new 256 RAM iBook does not cut mustard in editing high definition video. My impressions of the hordes of Japanese tourists swarming our resort towns of Jasper and Banff is that they wouldn't dream of venturing out without the latest cutting edge video devices weighing down their personnae.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by alimunnik
Before climbing on your high horse and singing the praises of how well your new iBooks run Tiger, I suggest you refer to Apple's own weg page concerning system requirements for the iLife 05 suite that I assume came together with your new acquisition. The absolute minimum RAM requirement posted is 256, but they RECOMMEND 512. Furthermore, for HD video in iMovie you MUST have 512. Both the PB and even the lowly eMac ship with this amount, but not our beloved iBook. To take full advantage of iLife 05's features, one must go to the trouble and expense of installing additional RAM, so it is incorrect to say that Tiger and the iBook are a perfect match, if you accept that all new iBooks are shipped with iLife 05 together with Tiger.
I am shocked; deeply shocked, that a Mac aficcionado from Japan would not wail at the realization that his or her new 256 RAM iBook does not cut mustard in editing high definition video. My impressions of the hordes of Japanese tourists swarming our resort towns of Jasper and Banff is that they wouldn't dream of venturing out without the latest cutting edge video devices weighing down their personnae.
To be honest I don't think ANY Mac computers come with enough RAM. I always add more right when I buy it. To me, its like buying a new car that doesn't have a full tank of gas, just go fill it up and you're fine. I bought a 512mb chip for my ibook before I had the ibook, and I would get the same if not more ram if I were to buy a 17" powerbook or dual 2.7ghz G5. Of course I would love if apple gave me more, but its not that big of a deal. Also, the 512mb in the powerbooks isn't one chip, and since I would update that as well, I end up taking out 256 to put in 512. I end up with 768 either way!
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by SSharon
... Also, the 512mb in the powerbooks isn't one chip, and since I would update that as well, I end up taking out 256 to put in 512. I end up with 768 either way!
That's true only for the 12" PB; the current 15" and 17" factory 512 is one chip.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

toffe  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2005, 05:28 PM

I installed a 1gb memory chip into my new ibook, it's great to use the computer now. Before i put in the extra memory it was rather slow, but not really slow.
Anyway, i'm glad that it only came with 256 (not 256+256 or even 256+1000) because the apple-sold memories are so expensive.
I bougth a kingston memory for a nice price.
The installation of the was not very difficult. the manual included a steb-by-step tutorial how to install it. Just follow it and you're ok. (read also the infopaper that comes with the memory) (you need a coin and a #0 screwdriver)

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 07:34 PM

for several years the laptop line (pro and consumer models) were shipped with underpowered RAM. that powerbooks ship with 512 onboard is quite a new development. in fact the iBook line may never catch up to 512 onboard. but anybody who knows anything about OS X will buy as much RAM as they can afford to supplement what's onboard. yada yada yada.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 10:05 PM

toffe: I have 512 MB DDR SDRAM, I assume that it's only taking up one slot, if this is true and I get another 512 MBs of RAM (from Kingston: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...TA-PBG4266/512 ) then I should have 1.24 Gigs of RAM, would that work?

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flip500
toffe: I have 512 MB DDR SDRAM, I assume that it's only taking up one slot, if this is true and I get another 512 MBs of RAM (from Kingston: http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...TA-PBG4266/512 ) then I should have 1.24 Gigs of RAM, would that work?
Almost. It would be 1.00 GB which equals 1024 MB.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2005, 11:48 PM

I more meant physically if thats the way an iBook is set up, because you know there is perminate RAM taking up a slot sometimes ect.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2005, 08:26 PM

Current iBooks come with 256mb RAM soldered in 'onboard'. This means you have two 256mb RAM sticks in your iBook. You can replace one of them (under the keyboard, under the airport card) with up to 1gb bringing your iBook to its maximum 1.25gb RAM.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 01:09 AM

Yeah, that's idealiy what I want in the future, but, it's always the money...

kisol007
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 09:03 PM

Who cares about this?

When are the NEW iBooks coming? What in the world? Has anyone heard anything?

treebytron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2005, 09:57 PM

I find it amazing that there are no rumors or talk at all about ibook updates. It's been so long, how can there be no info.

kisol007
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2005, 10:41 PM

Exactly! Why are we talking about memory upgrades? Lets talk about the when and what of the new iBook...

Man alive...

Flip500
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 17, 2005, 11:20 PM

I want it to be more "out there" like the Clamshell was, and even still is!

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by kisol007
Exactly! Why are we talking about memory upgrades? Lets talk about the when and what of the new iBook...

Man alive...
um... it's called a conversation.... since there are NO NEW IBOOKS and NO NEW RUMORS to talk about, who gives a crap if the dude wants to talk a bit about memory... man alive.....

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2005, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by treebytron
I find it amazing that there are no rumors or talk at all about ibook updates. It's been so long, how can there be no info.
Well, the G4 iBooks caught all the rumor sites by surprise. Not a peep or a leak anywhere then badda-bing-badda-boom, the iBook went G4 one day.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2005, 09:35 AM

I don't think there are going to be any new iBooks this week. Perhaps next week.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2005, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
I don't think there are going to be any new iBooks this week. Perhaps next week.
I've been hearing that for months.

icibaqu
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2005, 10:20 AM

and we'll all probably be hearing it until at least september 24th

treebytron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 11:58 AM

Man alive...
I was more referring to rumor sites and stuff. I mean we're talking about it, but no one else seems to be. Even though macrumors' buyers guide has said "don't buy updates soon" for so long, they haven't really even mentioned it in a while.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
I've been hearing that for months.

Can't you hear the irony ?

-t

jaa37
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2005, 03:23 PM

If you check macprices.com, Amazon, Best Buy and J&R are all out of iBooks (along with a couple of other online sellers). If you go to CompUSA and try to order more than 4 iBooks, it tells you it does't have that many in stock. But you can order well over 20 PowerBooks at a time.
Is it possible that Apple is readying an update, finally, and that's why big retailers are running out?

Double_UK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 05:51 AM

I want it to be more "out there" like the Clamshell was, and even still is!
Riiiiight. Now THAT was an iBook. I don't care too much for the current plain white 'chicklet' look of the iBook. How about a nice color?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 06:03 AM

Think Secret: iBook update any day now

"Sources have confirmed that Apple's consumer laptop will receive a long overdue refresh very soon, possibly as early as this week - or later today."

storer
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 06:12 AM

Today I think. It's Tuesday... everything comes out on Tuesday with Apple.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 06:15 AM

Often, but not always. Sometimes it can also be Monday or Wednesday. Depending on the importance of the update.

storer
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 07:04 AM

Do we see this as important? Well, I do, but does Apple?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by storer
Do we see this as important? Well, I do, but does Apple?
I'm sure Apple considers the iBook very important. It's one of their better-selling Macs, especially for converts.

My personal guess is that if Apple changes the form factor, it'll go to a 14", 1280x768 widescreen display. The DPI ratio would still be reasonable, but you'd get extra space for widescreen video as well as other common tasks (an example would be having your iChat contact list alongside a browser window). I know it would make the 14" iBook suddenly that much harder to resist for people on a budget.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Commodus
It's one of their better-selling Macs, especially for converts.
I think it is for that reason (along with its closeness to the PowerBook specs) that the iBook has not been bumped for so long. It's still a solid seller, and, as it is, a pretty good buy if you're just getting into Macs (not the great buy I'm waiting to dump my TiBook for).

Voch

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2005, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Voch
I think it is for that reason (along with its closeness to the PowerBook specs) that the iBook has not been bumped for so long. It's still a solid seller, and, as it is, a pretty good buy if you're just getting into Macs (not the great buy I'm waiting to dump my TiBook for).

Voch
Sad but true... I just want a bump. I just can't bring myself to buy 3+ months after the expected update. Even a price drop... something.

treebytron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2005, 09:30 PM

so I guess they'll be out tomorrow then...?

Commodus
Mac Elite
Jul 19, 2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by treebytron
so I guess they'll be out tomorrow then...?
I'm skeptical. Maybe Apple just wants to ride out the 500M mark a little longer before they update. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the update didn't come until next week, or even later.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2005, 03:04 AM

I don't think they'll announce new iBooks today.

If the widescreen rumors are true, the 12" PowerBook needs to go widescreen as well - the iBook won't likely go all-widescreen before the PowerBook line has.

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2005, 08:12 AM

I see no reason why the iBooks can't be updated now and the PowerBooks later. Some people are saying that the PowerBooks need to be updated first. The PowerBooks were updated since the iBooks were last updated. Yes, it was a tiny update but the two lines were closer before the last PowerBook update.

I see no reason why the iBook 14" couldn't go widescreen prior to any changes to the PowerBook 12". I do agree that it's unlikely we'll see an iBook 12" widescreen if the PowerBook 12" is not widescreen yet. I would assume they would either switch the PowerBook first or at least simultaneously.

I find it hard to believe that Apple can get a 12" widescreen display for the same cost as a 12" normal aspect ratio. Apple sells a lot of 12" laptops to schools. They don't want to raise their material costs. Although I want an iBook 12" widescreen, I'm expecting that if the iBook gets a widescreen, it won't impact the 12" model. Therefore this update could include a 14" widescreen.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 08:44 PM

The latest speculation from ThinkSecret. Doesn't say too much ... $999 and $1299 price points could just mean a 12" and 14" model just as now but with an SD as a BTO option on both sizes.

..... or could it mean a new form factor widescreen (13") with two configs. . Most likely the former, I would imagine. Whatever happens, I hope its in the pipeline soon. Tax-free weekend is approaching rapidly

Forum Links
Forum Rules