Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ideal format for iPod's earbud?

Ideal format for iPod's earbud?
pmg4lktan
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 01:33 AM

hi guys ...

i know AIFF is definitely i waste of space as the original earbud won't handle that kind of quality ... so, my question is ... what's the ideal/optimum format to store in iPod? MP3 (bitrate), AAC (bitrate) ...

thanks in advance!
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2005, 02:44 AM

There's no answer to that, really. It depends on the person. You might try encoding some tracks at various bitrates and see whether you can tell any difference. I personally would go with a 160 AAC file. I don't think I can really tell the difference between 128 AAC and 160, but I thought I would make it a bit higher since I could (and this would also give me more leeway if I wanted to re-encode these files later on). But if you're concerned about quality, you might want to replace the earbuds with something a little better.

pmg4lktan  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2005, 03:11 AM

thanks for your constructive reply ...

well, i'm content with the earbud ... and i have all the songs in original quality elsewhere, so i just want the best quality/size ratio ... i'll try 128 AAC then! thanks man!
Best regards from,
pmg4lktan

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2005, 01:38 PM

i think ideal is 160 AAC or 192 mp3...n e thing higher for the reg ipod headphones is a waste of space.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules