Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Might be off the subject, is there a Camera/Laptop/Book backpack?

Might be off the subject, is there a Camera/Laptop/Book backpack?
Danoldo
May 31, 2006, 11:34 PM

I know there is a thread at the top of this forum for all the bags, but I have gone over it and over it for weeks. I think im either skipping over something or maybe the reviews on the ones I like haven't answered any of my questions.

Basically here is the skinny, I am a student....a photography student. I would LOVE a backpack to carry my Camera and my laptop, but I also need room for textbooks.

The functionality of this bag would be so great, that looks really aren't that important.

Considering Mac users have a high percentage of video/photo/graphic users, maybe someone who cruises this board can show me a bag that would fit this design I am describing, or can point out a bag that's already been mentioned, but I didnt know it could ALSO carry text books.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BTW, Just to add, I have a 15.4'' Macbook Pro, my first Mac ever. I used PC's since I could use a computer.
I will never switch back to Windows. The thought of using Windows other than to game (which is rare) makes me shudder.

Thanks.

Danoldo  (op)
Jun 2, 2006, 05:56 AM

anyone?

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2006, 06:34 AM

If it's any help, I use a Tamrac Turbo Cyberpro. Not a ton of room for books, but a nicely designed bag.

Danoldo  (op)
Jun 2, 2006, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by paul w
If it's any help, I use a Tamrac Turbo Cyberpro. Not a ton of room for books, but a nicely designed bag.
That is a good design and definitely will be an option if I can't find EXACTLY what i'm looking for. Truly, I appreciate your help so much!

I am moreso looking for an actual "backpack" and not a briefcase, but if what i'm looking for is just not available, that one will be on the top 10 of the ones i've seen so far.

manuelfuentesw
Jun 2, 2006, 11:04 AM

Definitely check out LowePro's laptop/photo backpacks: I've been carrying one around for years and they can't be beat. Check out http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Back...tebook_camera/

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 2, 2006, 06:40 PM

I have a Targus backpack that has a slot for a laptop. If you have a Micro Center in your area, they have a selection of laptop backpacks.

JCT
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2006, 09:17 PM

If you have a sense of humor you should check out the Crumpler website. Here's the photo-backpack section: http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22 The "Customary Barge" model might be what you are looking for.

Kind of a wacky company, but their bags are very well made and don't scream "expensive stuff inside!". One nice thing is that the compartments are not accessible unless the bag is off your back-- cuts down on thievery.

Good luck on your search,

JT
Quad 2.5 Ghz G5 7GB RAM + 7800GT
15" MBP 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 100 GB 7200 RPM HDD
G4 DA 1.2 Ghz 1.5 GB RAM + 4 HDD (fileserver)
G4 Cube 800MHz , Radeon 7000, 1.5 GB RAM
<not bad for a relatively new switcher...>

Danoldo  (op)
Jun 4, 2006, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JCT
If you have a sense of humor you should check out the Crumpler website. Here's the photo-backpack section: http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22 The "Customary Barge" model might be what you are looking for.

Kind of a wacky company, but their bags are very well made and don't scream "expensive stuff inside!". One nice thing is that the compartments are not accessible unless the bag is off your back-- cuts down on thievery.

Good luck on your search,

JT
The customary barge is exactly what i've been looking for. Thank you so much for your help! it is GREATLY appreciated!

tillin
Jun 4, 2006, 02:20 AM

Crumpler all the way.

only i went big and got the Karachi Outpost, because i have a lot of gear, and the behemoth laptop.

photography is my profession though, and i would gladly choose crumpler bags again any day of the week and twice on sunday.

ender78
Jun 4, 2006, 09:33 PM

Here is another vote for crumpler. I traveled with my Whickey & Cox recently and it was great. I however wish that it was only a little deeper, There really is no room for anything other than a laptop and camera gear. I would love an extra 1-2" of room where I could but a few magazines and such. There really is no room between my gear and the laptop when the bag is full.
( Last edited by ender78; Jun 4, 2006 at 09:52 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules