Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How much for 1st Gen PowerBook 17"?

How much for 1st Gen PowerBook 17"?
javabeans
Forum Regular
Jun 5, 2006, 08:51 PM

Hello,

I'm thinking about selling my first and only Mac, a 1Ghz 1st Gen. PowerBook 17", to get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. How much do you guys think I can get for this baby?

Thanks.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2006, 09:20 PM

I got a 17" 1.5 with a gig ram in great condition a couple months ago for $1250. That was without the introduction of the macbook..

You should probably look at close to $1000, give or take. maybe a tad more if you sell it well on ebay..

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 5, 2006, 10:36 PM

It's a classic -- but definitely dated.

tillin
Jun 5, 2006, 10:41 PM

macboy.

i payed over $3k for that same laptop 2 years ago it still hangs with the best of them in photoshop though, ( cant wait to get a 100GB 7200rpm drive in it.

i would also say about $1k give or take a bit.

i'm going to sell mine for a macbook once photoshop becomes universal.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by AGoglanian
macboy.

i payed over $3k for that same laptop 2 years ago it still hangs with the best of them in photoshop though, ( cant wait to get a 100GB 7200rpm drive in it.

i would also say about $1k give or take a bit.

i'm going to sell mine for a macbook once photoshop becomes universal.
Yeah im waiting for that too and Leopard.. This was my first mac and I must say I got a decent deal. I agree on your 7200rpm point. This one has 4200rpm.. it really can do with an upgrade..

tillin
Jun 6, 2006, 10:52 AM

ooh. yeah id agree. mine has the 5400 fortunately. so while its not the BEST. its not the worst either.
i've got 2GB of ram in it too and it still runs like a champ. but still, obviously pales in comparison to my G5 lol!

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 6, 2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by AGoglanian
ooh. yeah id agree. mine has the 5400 fortunately. so while its not the BEST. its not the worst either.
i've got 2GB of ram in it too and it still runs like a champ. but still, obviously pales in comparison to my G5 lol!
We just placed a For Sale Ad in our local paper for a PowerBook G4 17" 1.33 with 2 power adapters, a Waterfield Sleeve and an Airport Exteme base for $1450 all boxed original. Judging from the responses and comments we are getting, your pricing for your 17" seems about right. I've always been fearful of Ebay and never tried there. One caller said no reason to worry, but I'm still apprehensive.

Any of you have thoughts or experiences on ways to market and price your PowerBook?

Thanks for any posts or ideas.

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 01:40 PM

Thanks guys for your feedback. Waiting for 10.5 is definitely a good idea. I wonder if by that time the difference in price drop that I can get for my laptop would be bigger than what it will cost to buy 10.5 though. On top of that by then Apple may release new versions of the MacBook...damn...too many moving things!
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2006, 04:08 PM

lol yeah sucks but its a price we pay to own the latest thing out there.. your best bet is to sell it as soon as you can and use a replacement till you find something that your definately going to get when Leopard comes out ..

btw javabeans, where abouts in JC to you live? I used to live there for a while before I moved to India. I can probably talk to a couple friends around there if they're intrested, provided you are! =)

javabeans  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by macboy
lol yeah sucks but its a price we pay to own the latest thing out there.. your best bet is to sell it as soon as you can and use a replacement till you find something that your definately going to get when Leopard comes out ..

btw javabeans, where abouts in JC to you live? I used to live there for a while before I moved to India. I can probably talk to a couple friends around there if they're intrested, provided you are! =)
Around Newport. Let me know if you have friends who are interested in buy it. We can always work out a deal. Thanks for the lead btw, I don't feel like putting it up on ebay either.
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

Forum Links
Forum Rules