Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > The new iMac keyboard really does suck.

The new iMac keyboard really does suck.
Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 03:05 AM

I finally got to try out the new iMac's thin keyboard in-store. I truly dislike it.

It has all the drawbacks of the MacBook's keyboard, but with no apparent benefit. The thinness is OK, but not a real plus for a desktop keyboard. As for the wireless keyboard, the loss of the numeric keypad is a big loss.

YMMV.

P.S. Glare galore in that store's lighting, with the new glossy screen.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2007, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I finally got to try out the new iMac's thin keyboard in-store. I truly dislike it.

It has all the drawbacks of the MacBook's keyboard, but with no apparent benefit. The thinness is OK, but not a real plus for a desktop keyboard. As for the wireless keyboard, the loss of the numeric keypad is a big loss.

YMMV.

P.S. Glare galore in that store's lighting, with the new glossy screen.

I have yet to see one of the new iMacs in person, so I will reserve my judgement. Probably tomorrow with some luck.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 05:25 AM

I dunno, my opinion is that it has all the BENEFITS of the MacBook keyboard, with none of the stickiness and clunkiness of the old keyboard.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 06:05 AM

It took me few days to get used to it. It definitely sounds and feels better than the old USB keyboard. Compared to the new KB, the old one feels rather cheap.

Cold Warrior
Sep 7, 2007, 09:17 AM

I used it for a few minutes recently and liked it just fine.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 09:19 AM

I'll be finding out soon enough. I spilled some sprite on my keyboard at work, and the next morning a few keys had stopped working, so I had them order me one of the new ones. I figure it's a great way to test the new style keyboard before I buy a wireless one for at home

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 09:40 AM

i'm loving it, but am coming from 8 years of powerbooks.
prefer it to my GF's older keyboard...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 09:49 AM

Apple's keyboards and mice generally cater to aesthetic design over function. The ergonomics and usability always seem second rate to me, their recent offerings seem like no exception.
( Last edited by besson3c; Sep 7, 2007 at 10:40 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2007, 09:54 AM

I like the new keyboard. I was worried that I would dislike it because of the flat keys, but that's turned out to be no issue at all. It's a full-sized, full-pitch keyboard with almost enough elevation at the back to give it a good angle (better than most keyboards) and it doesn't feel like it's going to catch every dust particle in the universe like the older USB keyboards did.

My extended, hands-on Mac keyboard experience has been with an iBook and a MacBook Pro, and while their keyboards are quite different, they both have a flat aspect and decent key reaction. The new keyboard is very "laptop like," but some of us like that better than other keyboards. It is a matter of taste I guess, but functionally the new one is a decent keyboard and one that seems to work quite well. I also rather like the USB 2.0 hub in the keyboard itself-that has made things much easier for me in a lot of ways.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I like the new keyboard. I was worried that I would dislike it because of the flat keys, but that's turned out to be no issue at all. It's a full-sized, full-pitch keyboard with almost enough elevation at the back to give it a good angle (better than most keyboards) and it doesn't feel like it's going to catch every dust particle in the universe like the older USB keyboards did.

My extended, hands-on Mac keyboard experience has been with an iBook and a MacBook Pro, and while their keyboards are quite different, they both have a flat aspect and decent key reaction. The new keyboard is very "laptop like," but some of us like that better than other keyboards. It is a matter of taste I guess, but functionally the new one is a decent keyboard and one that seems to work quite well. I also rather like the USB 2.0 hub in the keyboard itself-that has made things much easier for me in a lot of ways.
gh! we've been (politely) dis-agreeing on the imac screen, but we both like the keyboard...amazing.

doesn't this bode well for world peace? i mean, if we can agree on something...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
gh! we've been (politely) dis-agreeing on the imac screen, but we both like the keyboard...amazing.

doesn't this bode well for world peace? i mean, if we can agree on something...
There is HOPE!!!

HAGEhead
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2007, 10:32 AM

I use a DiNovo and Thinkpad keyboard at work. I use an iMac slim and a Macbook keyboard at home. I would take the chiclet any day. LOVE the new keyboard.

dankar
Sep 7, 2007, 11:18 AM

Being using it for the last 4 days on my Macpro, love it and my wrist not that bend (aka carpal tunnel) and the metal finishing fit my Macpro to a 'T'

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 11:30 AM

Are the ergonomics better than the white keyboards they used to put out?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2007, 11:36 AM

I haven't used either yet, but I think I'll love the wireless one. I've grown so accustomed to using my laptops keyboard, I don't think I'd know how to use a full number keypad. I don't really like how its "command" now instead of "", but I guess I'll get used to it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 11:44 AM

Yeah - when you tell people to press the 'Apple key', they won't know which one it is!

ph0ust
Senior User
Sep 7, 2007, 11:56 AM

everyone has their own preferences.... me.... i think the new keyboard is the best i have EVER used. i love it. easy keys to type really fast, most quiet i have ever used as well, low profile design. it's awesome!

and the screen???? well, my new imac sits next to a large south facing windows. no issues with my big 24" glossy screen. colors looks great. overall, i love everything about my new imac.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yeah - when you tell people to press the 'Apple key', they won't know which one it is!
Finally, when I tell people to press ctrl-cmd-eject they'll know what to do.

rubaiyat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2007, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'll be finding out soon enough. I spilled some sprite on my keyboard at work, and the next morning a few keys had stopped working, so I had them order me one of the new ones. I figure it's a great way to test the new style keyboard before I buy a wireless one for at home
They are perfectly recoverable. I spilled wine on mne and recovered it.

Unplug it and use distilled water/soda water to wash it out thoroughly. Then let it dry out in a warm spot thoroughly.

Definitely do not attempt to plug it in if there is any chance of moisture still being in there. I left mine for several days to dry.
I look forward to a future where the present will be in the past.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ph0ust View Post
everyone has their own preferences.... me.... i think the new keyboard is the best i have EVER used. i love it. easy keys to type really fast, most quiet i have ever used as well, low profile design. it's awesome!

and the screen???? well, my new imac sits next to a large south facing windows. no issues with my big 24" glossy screen. colors looks great. overall, i love everything about my new imac.
My thoughts exactly. The keyboard reminds me my old Pismo which had the best keyboard I had ever used. I have no issues with the glossy display, my ClearFlat NEC CRT which also has a glass over the tube sports more reflections than the huge 24 incher… what amazes me is how good the speakers are… to be invisible so to speak. A pity I can't get used to the mighty mouse…

Awesome quiet computer I would say… oh well, that's blatant obvious to many people over here

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rubaiyat View Post
They are perfectly recoverable. I spilled wine on mne and recovered it.

Unplug it and use distilled water/soda water to wash it out thoroughly. Then let it dry out in a warm spot thoroughly.

Definitely do not attempt to plug it in if there is any chance of moisture still being in there. I left mine for several days to dry.
Well, I'd need something to tide me over in the meantime, and honestly, I hated the keyboard.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 7, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I have only limited experience with the previous keyboard, but the new one seems to be better. It's not as high/thick, so you don't need to elevate your wrists to be able to reach all the keys without wrist strain. The keys don't travel a huge amount (about the thickness of the keycaps, maybe 2.5mm), but they have a "full travel" feel with a very positive stop. They are quiet but there's a kind of soft clicky sound when you strike them.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 08:39 PM

Well, if you like the MacBook's keyboard you may like the iMac's keyboard.

I agree the MacBook's keyboard is not bad... as far as laptop keyboards go these days, but laptop keyboards generally suck IMO compared to good quality desktop keyboards. I was never completely impressed with the previous iMac's keyboard, but IMO, this new iMac's keyboard is simply a step in the wrong direction. YMMV.

Mind you, I'm old-school biased. I was taught to touch type on a typewriter, and my favourite keyboard of all time is the long defunct IBM clickety-clackity keyboard. I know I'm not alone in this though, as that IBM keyboard is the one used to set the world typing speed record. It had a nice stroke depth, and a firm satisfying click for each and every key.

I have to admit though. The new iMac's keyboard sure is purdy.

Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 09:47 PM

I still think my white imac look better... something about the aluminum of it all is so... not iMac.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 10:02 PM

Apple makes a lot of splashes and turns a lot of heads with purdy, but I do wonder whether sometimes these marketing decisions override technical decisions (or ergonomic ones, in the case of their keyboards). It's a balance that all companies face that must be easy to tip in one way.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2007, 10:05 PM

Apple makes a lot of splashes and turns a lot of heads with purdy, but I do wonder whether sometimes these marketing decisions override technical decisions (or ergonomic ones, in the case of their keyboards). It's a balance that all companies face that must be easy to tip in one way.
looking at the imac (for the third time), it just shouts "consumer" to me...the look, the glossy screen, that overstated logo...

still, i like the keyboard...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2007, 10:21 PM

Yeah... The thing that inspired this line of questioning on my part was the simple fact that Apple is drawing a lot of attention to themselves (rightfully so) for making really thin products. Are there actual studies that say that we are more productive typists with super thin keyboards, or is Apple just going for a marketing boost?

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
looking at the imac (for the third time), it just shouts "consumer" to me...the look, the glossy screen, that overstated logo...

still, i like the keyboard...
Don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way, but isn't that what Mac's "iMac's" are truly geared towards the "consumer". Has I've stated before I've never used a laptop "portable" so can't say on experience of use on the keyboard, but I do like it, actually I liked the iMac on the first day of revealing.
I understand why they Apple have gone this way for design, business economics & environmental issues, but what I'm always left thinking is what will the new MacBooks be like the Black ones will be ok, but the white will have to stay to differentiate MacBook-Pro if their bringing everything into Alu!

Of-course they could follow the same textured Nano-iPods, I wonder how many people will like the colours of the new "Black & White"?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2007, 08:16 AM

I wouldn't call the logo any more "overstated" than the white iMacs' glowing logo was.

Finding research on keyboards is difficult. There are no real standards for being able to claim "ergonomic" qualities for a device, so anyone can say "my keyboard is very ergonomic" . Location on the desk and shoulder and wrist positioning are what's critical, and obviously there's no "one size fits all" solution to anything that has to fit humans. With all that said, I've examined this keyboard from a body mechanics and ergonomic perspective (that's part of my profession). With a good desktop height and good placement on the desk (not too far from the edge, etc.), it's possible to use the new keyboard very ergonomically. Compared to the old one, this keyboard lends itself to a more flexible desk placement, and doesn't seem to need the same sort of accessories (wrist rests) or typing surface adjustments (like a keyboard drawer) that its thicker predecessor may have.

When I went to school, typing was a serious thing. My typing teacher was part of the "posture police," and I learned how to type in a way that lends itself to long use without injury. My own carpal tunnel diagnosis came, not from keyboard use, but mouse use. HINT: use more of your arm when making large movements with the mouse and keep the fingers for smaller movements-your wrist will thank you.

dankar
Sep 8, 2007, 08:17 AM

Yes, with my palm resting on my table and the angle of my fingers almost 180˚. Thus it is more comfortable than the white keyboard which have a slight elevation. Planning to get some more new keyboards for the rest of my macs in the office. And BTW, I don't work for Apple. This is not a sales pitch.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2007, 09:10 AM

i like it

bembol
Sep 8, 2007, 09:25 AM

I love it, very comfortable! The keys feel like butter when typing.

I also think the design matches Apple.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2007, 12:06 PM

Not only is the new keyboard better (I've been using mine for weeks), but it saves me at least 5 or 10 minutes a day ! Time I used to have to spend using a Post-IT note to remove the crumbs that were visible along the front of the clear/white old-style keyboard !

(Post-ITs have just the right amount of stickiness for this job, BTW)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by dankar View Post
Yes, with my palm resting on my table and the angle of my fingers almost 180˚. Thus it is more comfortable than the white keyboard which have a slight elevation. Planning to get some more new keyboards for the rest of my macs in the office. And BTW, I don't work for Apple. This is not a sales pitch.
I guess this does make sense, eliminating the need for the palm rest and all (this is in response to ghporter too).

Come to think of it, I generally don't have ergonomic issues with my laptop as much as I do my desktop. Maybe this is why

Or, I should say, my ergonomic problems with my laptop are different (i.e. back, shoulders, etc.) which perhaps no keyboard will help correct.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Or, I should say, my ergonomic problems with my laptop are different (i.e. back, shoulders, etc.) which perhaps no keyboard will help correct.
That problem is all about putting the laptop on a lap or desk that's way lower than your shoulders. It's not your hands that are stressed, but as you point out, your shoulders and neck. There are some things you can do: raise the laptop as high as possible and use an external keyboard and mouse. Right-not terribly practical. You can also take frequent mini-breaks. Square your shoulders, rotate your head and tilt it from side to side a few times, and try not to be so close to the screen that you're looking WAY down. It helps.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 8, 2007, 10:03 PM

I'm surprised you guys are arguing ergonomics.

One of my biggest complaints about Mac ergonomics are the iMacs themselves. The iMac chin really makes it hard to have a proper ergonomic setup with 24" iMacs, at least for me.

IMO, the top of the iMac should be about an inch or so lower.

StrongBadinator
Baninated
Sep 10, 2007, 12:07 PM

I think you're nuts Eug. I have a 24" iMac and the screen height is perfect for me. But yeah, I really don't understand apple's 'anti ergonomic' and 'aesthetics first' design mindset. After trying to use the new mighty mouse, my hand literally had pains from using it for 2 days. The white keyboard (the normal one, not the thing one) had a fairly sharp spacebar, which hurts after a lot of typing. That, and apple has NEVER built a truly ergonomic keyboard. Why? I'm not sure. I'd buy one if they did make one. I just don't understand them though. Design is important and all, that's why good looking cars get so much attention, but you don't have to really physically interact with the exterior of a car much. If someone designed the INTERIOR of a car, the part you have to interact with physically for long periods of time, like say.... a lamborghini countach, it would be one of the most uncomfortable cars ever.

StrongBadinator
Baninated
Sep 10, 2007, 12:08 PM

You are now quite the apple fanboy. Tell me, is there ANYTHING you don't like about your new 24" iMac setup? Because right now in every iMac thread you say nothing but positive things, even when faced with links that point out many negatives about the new iMac.

Railroader
Banned
Sep 10, 2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by StrongBadinator View Post
You are now quite the apple fanboy. Tell me, is there ANYTHING you don't like about your new 24" iMac setup? Because right now in every iMac thread you say nothing but positive things, even when faced with links that point out many negatives about the new iMac.
[EDIT] ghporter is anything but the quintessential Apple fanboi! He has owned, and I believe still does own, many windows based computers. The iMac just seems to fit him perfectly. He doesn't have issue with the glossy screen, and neither do I. He doesn't have issue with the keyboard, ad neither do I. And he doesn't have issues with the screen height. It works well for him.

I think where he's coming from is that on here you only hear from people who have complaints. It's nice to hear from people who are extremely satisfied with product that others are bitching so much about. Someone who has never owned or even looked at a Mac would read most posts on here and think someone would be crazy to buy a Apple computer with all of the complaining on here.

[EDIT] Sorry, I didn't know I was replying to Rob/ca#h.
( Last edited by Railroader; Sep 10, 2007 at 01:04 PM. )

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2007, 01:01 PM

What amazes me is how anyone can be so obtrusive in pushing their opinion down people's throats over and over again. How many times until you give it a rest? This is the kind of religious banter I find annoying as hell and, damn, it drives me up the wall. Don't like the iMac? Fine. But please, for crying out loud, let people enjoy their iMac if they so choose, even if it really drives you mad that they do happen to like their computer.

djm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 01:51 PM

I got my keyboard two weeks ago. I really like it. I can type faster and like the feel to fingers. In my opinion, the new keyboard has it all over the old one.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2007, 02:21 PM

after using the keyboard for 20min, i have to say i really like the way it feels and have only a few minor issues with it.

1. why do the colors not match the imac?

2. i only wished they used the mbp keys instead of the macbook keys.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

hldan
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2007, 07:39 PM

LOL, looks like the OP was hoping to start a thread of who hates the new iMac keyboard just because he does. Well the majority loves it and I can be added to the "I love the new iMac Keyboard" list as well.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2007, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
[EDIT] ghporter is anything but the quintessential Apple fanboi! He has owned, and I believe still does own, many windows based computers. The iMac just seems to fit him perfectly. He doesn't have issue with the glossy screen, and neither do I. He doesn't have issue with the keyboard, ad neither do I. And he doesn't have issues with the screen height. It works well for him.

I think where he's coming from is that on here you only hear from people who have complaints. It's nice to hear from people who are extremely satisfied with product that others are bitching so much about. Someone who has never owned or even looked at a Mac would read most posts on here and think someone would be crazy to buy a Apple computer with all of the complaining on here.

[EDIT] Sorry, I didn't know I was replying to Rob/ca#h.
Well put. I think you capsulized what I've been intending to get through with my posts on the new iMac extremely well.

I'm a fanboi? ME? Nah. I am currently migrating away from dependence on a desktop PC (loud and bulky) to a nearly silent desktop Mac that does all that I want and much more. And you have hit the nail on the head very precisely when you mention how unhappy I am with the fact that most people reading these forums would generally think that it is masochistic to even consider buying anything from Apple-except for the few of us that post stuff like "Gee this machine is great!" now and then.

kuchiki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2007, 02:12 PM

I can understand the thread opener's point about the wireless version...the missing numbers block is a drawback. As for the wired version I really disliked the design at first but I purchased the new keyboard after all (no risk no fun) and after using it for 3 or 4 weeks it has replaced my macally ikey5 keyboard as the primary keyboard I use. The keyboard needs some getting used to though but for a Macbook owner that just won't be a problem. The only thing that I don't like too much is that if you like your keyboards tilted there aren't any small feet you can just pull out like on most other usual keyboards so I have put a few small square woodpieces under it to get a comfortable tilt.
What really don't want to miss anymore are the functions keys
kuchiki
My newly created blog about the Macbook and home of iMountIt
News, Reviews, Tutorials, Giveaways and more.
Visit: Days of our Macbooks

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2007, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ View Post
1. why do the colors not match the imac?
Sorry but I don't get this… it is aluminium and white, white is neutral and works well with any other color, I mean… my MDD keyboard is way worse than that, while the body is silver like the MDD case, the keys are black like hum… some inner ribbon on it, I guess that doesn't count as for match the computer

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 11:57 AM

hrrmm...i don't remember saying that i preferred the older black keyboard with mdd look as oppose to the new imac combination.

that also doesn't change the fact that apple is cutting corners using only one keyboard and mouse amongst all their computers and forcing this mix-match on people who want to use only apple products, not to mention that gross white cable sticking out the back instead of a nicer looking (imo) black cable.

the older imac was more cohesive as a whole out of the box but this new imac could trounce it in aesthetics with a nice black and silver keyboard mouse combination from logitech.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 12:02 PM

Alright, I just got my new keyboard from amazon and am typing as we speak.

Early impressions:

• Aesthetically: wow
• The buttons feel nice to the touch; definitely reminiscent of my old PowerBook (never used a MacBook)
• I like the audible feedback, just right
• I can see my fingers getting lost on this keyboard easier (not a proper typist)
• the keyboard is almost too thin for my tray -- I may get something to lift about 1/2" higher, and perhaps increase its incline
• two very weird optical illusions are occurring for me. First, all the lettering looks offset to the right, second the keyboard looks curved on the vertical plane. I blame my office's lighting

S'all for now, maybe I'll chip in with further impressions next week.

Reventon
Baninated
Sep 12, 2007, 01:06 PM

Well put. I think you capsulized what I've been intending to get through with my posts on the new iMac extremely well.

I'm a fanboi? ME? Nah. I am currently migrating away from dependence on a desktop PC (loud and bulky) to a nearly silent desktop Mac that does all that I want and much more. And you have hit the nail on the head very precisely when you mention how unhappy I am with the fact that most people reading these forums would generally think that it is masochistic to even consider buying anything from Apple-except for the few of us that post stuff like "Gee this machine is great!" now and then.
Ah. I think your previous computers probably explain why you are so insanely happy with your new iMac. I would be too, if I was coming from a noisy POS running windows. However, I've had macs for the past...oh... since 1994 or so. But for most mac users, they can come up with SOMETHING that they would like improved. Seeing as how you had a PC, it now makes sense why you cannot say anything remotely negative about your new computer, because compared to a PC, it truly is a gift from god. Maybe in a few years you'll be able to be a bit more critical of even 'pretty good' products.

jgcan
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I'm surprised you guys are arguing ergonomics.

One of my biggest complaints about Mac ergonomics are the iMacs themselves. The iMac chin really makes it hard to have a proper ergonomic setup with 24" iMacs, at least for me.

IMO, the top of the iMac should be about an inch or so lower.
I agree, that's why I put mine on an arm and it now sits on my desk. It would have been nice to have height adjustments out of the box.

Forum Links
Forum Rules