Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook dilemma......opinions please

ibook dilemma......opinions please
ha6337
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2001, 07:16 AM

Hi everyone

My dilemma is this, should I buy a icebook (CDROM version) now or wait till after Macworld in July? My theory is this: SJ has said all macs will ship with osx in July. So will Apple just add a 64MB stick to the base model? The trouble is that with only one free RAM slot, this will limit any possible RAM upgrade. Is it likely that they will switch to 128 MB onboard like the other ibooks? That seems a bit pointless after only being released for a month or so. Any opinions ?

Regards.
Addi

P.s. Pls no replies telling me to buy the DVD version. I'm UK student already on a low budget and the ibook sells for most over here. ($1400)

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2001, 08:42 AM

Most online sellers(MacMall, Outpost, Maczone etc.) are offering a free 128Mb upgrade on all iBooks for a total of 192Mb on the CD-ROM version. Therefore, the only reason to wait is for OS X to be pre-installed. There are 512 chips you can throw into the empty slot too.

[This message has been edited by kulverse (edited 05-20-2001).]

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
May 20, 2001, 08:53 AM

If Apple does upgrade the RAM in the base model I would bet it would be 128MB soldered to the motherboard, like the others. Just from a manufacturing standpoint, it would be cheaper to make them all the same than to have one with 64 and then add 64 in the slot. Also (and of course with Apple anything is possible), I would be REALLY surprised if they shipped it without an empty slot.

I was going to wait for July too, but that resolve lasted exactly two weeks and I ordered a DVD model.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2001, 11:45 AM

You have to decide if it's worth it to wait 2 months for 64 MB or RAM. You can add a 256 MB chip pretty cheap, giving you 320 MB total. That is more than enough for most people.

I don't think 384 vs 320 is a big enough difference to wait 2 months for a laptop. Just go ahead and buy it.

Of course, that's just MY opinion... don't wait your life away.

------------------
[Removed at the request of Apple Legal]

klee6150
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 12:57 PM

Don't wait!!!!! If the CD version is what you want - go for it now. I have had mine since 5/11, added a really cheap 256meg module and am completely happy.

paterss
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 02:38 PM

Go for it !

RAM is so cheap now that I can add a 256 MB module really cheaply.

My dilema is which drive option to go for....
Maybe I should just save the money and get the base model...I have a CD burner (Iomega...why did you let FisherPrice design it ???)

But less to carry is always a good thing.

Stuart

------------------
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.
Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Very smart people learn from other peoples mistakes.

Atomic Beat Boy
May 20, 2001, 05:05 PM

If you're a student, click the education button at the Apple Store (http://www.apple.com/ukstore), and you can get around a 10% discount on normal prices. Lie about your age is necessary.

Also, bear in mind that 128MB probably won't be aneough to run OS X, so you'll have to get an upgrade any way. You can 128MB (144pin PC100 SO-DIMM) for �50 at www.dabs.com, so you're really deciding between 192 or 256MB.

Janger
Forum Regular
May 20, 2001, 05:41 PM

If you really can wait (most of us cannot), then wait. It's all getting faster and cheaper. But if you need an iBook now, I would suggest 256 MB extra RAM, too. OS X cries for RAM.

ha6337  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 11:14 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
Saw the new ibook on Tottenham Court Road yesterday and wanted one straight away. They had 6 in stock but I went back today and there were all gone (CDROM versions by the way).
Returned home to see that OSX is now bundled with new macs and so went ibook hunting today. Found applestore on Mortimer St had them in stock! Its charging at the moment....woohoo!!

Addi

qnc
Mac Enthusiast
May 22, 2001, 12:43 PM

Addi

did you go to kings college back in the day!!!!

P.S. tell us all about your new baby!!!

------------------
London sorted
24:7 who needs sleep
http://www.nightclubbers.com
qnctv.com
Take a look...

ha6337  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 05:21 AM

A quick report on my new UK CDROM ibook. Opening the box, I was impressed with the general packaging. Manuals are a bit thin though (Nothing compared to my last mac - the Performa 450) Having to learn OS9.1 for the first time is a bit daunting, much has changed since System 7!

Anyway, first impressions were good. Found what I thought were a few scratches on the case but these rubbed off (phew!). Screen is excellent, one dead pixel but I change the desktop colour to hide it

The ibook weighs a bit more than my sisters Vaio (Z505) and is thicker, but then again it cost the earth and feels alot more flimsy. Track pad feels very nice and the button feels better than the G4 powerbook in my opinion. Apps run pretty quickly, OSX rebate has been sent off.

Overall very impressed. If anyone wants my to test stuff (UK specific) not covered in other threads, just shout.

Addi

P.S. qnc - No not King's, Barts - a lonely overworked final year medical student.

[This message has been edited by ha6337 (edited 05-23-2001).]

Double_UK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2001, 10:16 AM

. Screen is excellent, one dead pixel but I change the desktop colour to hide it

I don't know if the 'gentle rubbing'-trick still applies. I had some 'dead' pixels too on my iBook SE 366 screen, way back when I bought it. Some posts on this forum adressed this issue and the general advice was: gently rub the screen until... the pixel(s) come alive. It may take a minute or so, but this procedure worked for my iBook. Maybe it still works on the new batch of iBooks.

Happy computing

Wijo

Forum Links
Forum Rules