Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > EyeTV HD Picture Quality

EyeTV HD Picture Quality
Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2011, 07:10 PM

Can any comment on the EyeTV HD picture quality? I'm trying to use it as a DVR with Verizon Fios and the picture quality is pretty bad and not sharp at all. It seems to experience a "double image." I have attached two screen shots showing what I am seeing. If you look closely at the text for the menu, you can see how the text has outlines.

I tried numerous things. At first, I thought the EyeTV HD unit I had was defective and exchanged it for another but the problem remained. I tried updating to the latest version of EyeTV 3.5, two different HD video sources (Verizon Fios cable box & Sony Blu-Ray player), two different component cables, two different USB cables, and even running it on two different computers. Same problem!

Elgato tech support (makers of the EyeTV) are stumped too and they told me they will escalate my case to the developer level. Can anyone chime in on this? I can only see three possible explantations at this point, 1). both EyeTV HD units I have used are defective, 2). EyeTV HD somehow is not compatible with my cable box or blu-ray player, 3). This is how the quality is.

As a sidenote, I did try running composite cables with it, the double imaging seems like it is gone but the picture quality is very unacceptable, they look worst than 240p Youtube videos.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2011, 09:34 PM

Do recordings (in whatever the highest quality output is) look the same or is it only an issue with live streams?

Cottonsworth  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Do recordings (in whatever the highest quality output is) look the same or is it only an issue with live streams?
Recordings look the same too. This one is really stumping me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules