Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Mail vs Entourage

Mail vs Entourage
Red Wolf
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2002, 11:18 AM

I'm going to be loading Office X *dodges the thrown mice* on my iBook (dual USB) after I install my new hard drive. I have been using Mail in OS X for a few months and I'm honestly not that impressed with the program. I use Outlook Express and Entourage in OS 9 at work. I was just wondering what people though of Entourage for OS X vs Mail. Thanks.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

Hobbes
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2002, 11:21 AM

One thing to consider is what Apple is planning for Mail in Jaguar. From everything that has been shown, and everything people have commented on, Apple is working on some major improvements to Mail. Much more robust filters, more stability, spam filtering, etc.

I've thought about switching away from it a couple of times, but given the coming improvemnts, and even better integration with the new Address Database in Jaguar, I'm sticking with it (even after checking out Entourage).

cpac
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2002, 11:29 AM

I like Office X, particularly with the new service release. BUT I do not like Entourage.

I think it's ugly, has a less than intuitive interface, and mostly is just super-bloated. However, it currently has better rules handling (or so I understand) and is a decent option if you just *have* to have your email in the same program as your contact and scheduling info. (I personally prefer having them separated, but linked via services).

Mail, by comparison is pretty lean and does everything I need it to do in a nice cocoa app that has services and pretty text and all the good things. Plus - Mail is getting a significant upgrade with Jaguar (better rules, better SPAM filtering, integration with better Address Book, &c.).

Really you should just try them out and decide what works best for you. (And then, if you choose entourage, give Mail another go after Jaguar comes out)
cpac

Red Wolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2002, 12:10 PM

I remembered the Jaguar update while typing last type. I'd like a calendar in Mail though.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

fulmer
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2002, 12:53 PM

go with entourage v.x. it is stable, quick, and works perfectly (for me, anyway).

if you have a mac.com address and want to send using smpt.mac.com, you'll need to turn on authentication from within entourage for that account.

I'm waiting to see how mail is in jaguar. if it is better than entourage, that is what I'll use then.

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2002, 12:59 PM

I use MAIL for my Mac.com accounts and any POP mail accounts and I use Entourage for my Hotmail (which I dont actually use anymore...love Mac.com) and it's calendar. I love the calendar and the daemon that comes with it. It really helps me keep my monthly tasks in order.
I wish they would incorporate a calendar into Jaguar.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

Sap
Jun 27, 2002, 01:19 PM

Entourage is rock solid. I use it all the time. It's a very powerful email client: excellent spam filtering, powerful rules, great newsgroup support, good mailing list managers, etc.

In OS 9, it uses about 12 megs of RAM. You call that bloated? Just for some comparison, Mozilla uses 50.

But anyways, Mail will be getting a few more features with Jaguar and these will at least give it some basic functionality that Entourage has had for years. Try them both and see which one you like better.

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2002, 07:17 AM

Mail is *so* Entourage's bitch. I get *alot* of email. personal/work/mailing lists combined I get around a hundred +/- a day. Mail used to just die under the multi-thousand email folders and such. Entourage is a champ. Without a hitch. I *hate* the mail.app interface too. unintuitive. (but interface design is often a matter of opinion)

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2002, 07:52 AM

can you receive newsgroups in mail.app?

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2002, 09:01 AM

Another vote for Entourage, like some other people, mail would quit on me with lots of mail thrown at it, Entourage has been perfect (except for it's lack of sheets etc)

yellowdog
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2002, 10:11 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Badtz:
<strong>can you receive newsgroups in mail.app?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Nope - Mail is a single function app. To do newsgroups you'll have to use a separate program.

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2002, 11:15 AM

Indeed, the things shown of Mail in 10.2 are very promising. But there is one however. Mail is a mail client, Entourage is much more of an organizer.

In fact, I like the fact that my adresses, my mails, newsgroups and my appoiintments are just in one program. I mean, otherwise I have to have so much programs opened, which can be bothering.

But if you got Office v.X and you plan on using newsgroups/calender/adressbook too, I would really consider it.
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2002, 03:44 PM

Currently I am using Entourage as my primary but I have an account set up with Mail and mac.com. My position is that Entourage currently has the edge but I will evaluate the mail app as it evolves under Jaguar. If it becomes an equal to Entourage then I will probably switch.

pmcd
Senior User
Jun 29, 2002, 02:26 AM

I was forced to switch to Entourage from Mail ( I prefer Mail) as Mail wouldn't see messages in our IMAP server's InBox. The same problem happens with GnuMail . Entourage, Mozilla and even Outlook in win2k have great IMAP support. If Apple would fix IMAP or if I didn't need it I would use mail. It's nicer in my opinion.

philip

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Red Wolf:
<strong>I'm going to be loading Office X *dodges the thrown mice* on my iBook (dual USB) after I install my new hard drive. I have been using Mail in OS X for a few months and I'm honestly not that impressed with the program. I use Outlook Express and Entourage in OS 9 at work. I was just wondering what people though of Entourage for OS X vs Mail. Thanks.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

eno
Banned
Jun 30, 2002, 01:32 PM

They both suck.

As such, I use both. If one of them eventually manages to become non-sucky, then I will get rid of one of them.

I am hoping that the new vers of Mail.app in Jaguar will be a significant step in that direction. At present, it's filtering is totally inadequate, and it's hopeless from a spam point of view.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2002, 01:39 PM

Entourage is nice for its calendar. I use both now, Mailapp for email, Entourage for calendar and non-binary newsgroup surfing (I can't find a way to combine and decode in Entourage). A third app, MT Newswatcher, I use for usenet binary groups.

It would be nice to see Apple add a decent usenet front-end to Mail.

<small>[ 06-30-2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: ringo ]</small>

badtz
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2002, 05:13 AM

ringo: what is meant by binary & non-binary newsgroups?

thanks

ringo
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2002, 09:06 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Badtz:
<strong>ringo: what is meant by binary & non-binary newsgroups?

thanks </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Binary newsgroups are people posting pictures, movies, music, etc. Somethimes the poster will break a large binary file up into pieces and post it using dozens, or even hundreds of individual messages. You need a newsreader that can combine these messages if you want to extract and use the file.

i.e. alt.binaries.sounds.mp3, alt.binaries.mpeg.video.music

Non-binary newsgroups are just a group of text messages.

i.e. comp.languages.python, alt.slack

Forum Links
Forum Rules