Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Using the Lord's name in vain.

Using the Lord's name in vain. (Page 3)
Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Too many syllables.
You are correct. This is the same reason why God Dammit was chosen over the more syllabic variations "Yahweh Dammit" and "Jehovah Dammit."

Hit your finger with a hammer and try to sputter "Jehovah Dammit!" thru clenched teeth. Doesn't work.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

fireside
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2004, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by storer:
Seriously... they should do a modern day english bible...
been done. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...92926?v=glance

angaq0k
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
You are correct. This is the same reason why God Dammit was chosen over the more syllabic variations "Yahweh Dammit" and "Jehovah Dammit."

Hit your finger with a hammer and try to sputter "Jehovah Dammit!" thru clenched teeth. Doesn't work.
Or try these...

India style:
Bouddha Dammit

Roman style:
Poseidon Dammit
Mnemosyne Dammit
Persephone Dammit

Egyptian style:
Anubis Dammit
Wepwawet Dammit
Nut Dammit

Chinese style:
Guan-Lin Dammit
Yen-Lo-Wang Dammit
Monkey Dammit

Finnish style:
Vainamoinen Dammit
Lemminkainen Dammit

Norse style:
Thor Dammit
Ragnarok Dammit
Odin Dammit

Australian style:
Rainbow-snake Dammit
Yara-Ma-Yha-Who Dammit
Dreamtime Dammit (my personal favourite)

African style:
Olorun Dammit
Ala Dammit (quite elegant)

Celtic style:
Morrigan Dammit
Tuatha-De-Danann Dammit
Bran Dammit

hmmm...

I thought of adding some hockey players and a few pr0n stars but that would be overdoing it a bit I guess...

"******* politics is for the ******* moment. ******** equations are for ******** Eternity." ******** Albert Einstein

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 10:51 PM

Well, the thing is that "God", in addition to being only one syllable, is just a generic term that could refer to any of those. So "God Dammit" is not only fast and efficient, but it's also cross-platform.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 11:06 PM

When Muslims pray it's never using the word God, it's using the word Allah.

The major group that uses the term God in reference to their deity is Christianity.

Please quit trying to sugar coat your insult of my faith. It's pathetic.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 11:14 PM

Well, the thing is that "God", in addition to being only one syllable, is just a generic term that could refer to any of those. So "God Dammit" is not only fast and efficient, but it's also cross-platform.
Nitpick: capitalized God Dammit is pretty specific, non capitalized god dammit is the generic version. And I always swear with capitals firmly in place!

OH-N'omac
Jul 23, 2004, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:

The major group that uses the term God in reference to their deity is Christianity.

christians do not have exclusive right to the word or concept of god, get over yourself. god is a generic concept. stop telling people that they have to stop using words in common usage because your faith has a problem with it....that's a million times more offensive than using the phrase goddamn it.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
christians do not have exclusive right to the word or concept of god, get over yourself. god is a generic concept. stop telling people that they have to stop using words in common usage because your faith has a problem with it....that's a million times more offensive than using the phrase goddamn it.
How bout you shut up till you get a leg to stand on? How many people do you know, who believe in a God, really want to curse Him? If you ask 90% of the people who you hear taking God's name in vain, if you asked them who God was, if they said they believed in one (not saying they're Christians) they'd most closely related their most likely convoluted understanding of God to the Christian God.

Most other religions in North America for example either don't have a God, or they have lots. But YOU"RE WRONG! No we don't have exclusive right to the word god, however when God is being used, it ALWAYS reffers to the Christian God. It's a sign of respect dumb ass.

OH-N'omac
Jul 23, 2004, 11:27 PM

No we don't have exclusive right to the word god, however when God is being used, it ALWAYS reffers to the Christian God. It's a sign of respect dumb ass.
I don't have to respect your religious laws, the same way you don't have to obey the religious laws of muslims or jews. Back off, you imposing your beliefs on others is more disrespectful...stay out of my language.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2004, 11:40 PM

I'll stop using the words god and jesus in vain if you'll agree to take them off the Pledge of Allegiance, the currency, and all the other things that are used to foist them upon the rest of us.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2004, 11:56 PM

Huh? I started this thread? That's odd, the database must have become messed up since it doesn't show that.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2004, 01:37 AM

Subjective.

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 01:59 AM

Hmm

Interesting how the idealogical fundamentalist Christians leap to defend their faith (understandably so) whilst by their own words seemingly demonstrating little of any substance that could lead one to believe they are living the truths of their faith by virtue of the way they speak, and treat others.

For instance.

Loving thy neighbour. Treating others as you would like to be treated.

Superchicken said:

How bout you shut up....It's a sign of respect dumb ass.
Personally, being told by someone to "shut up" I would deem personally offensive, and well, "dumb ass" - if I spoke to some of my customers in a work situation like that, I'd be inviting in no uncertain terms a five knuckle sandwich to the nose. And IMHO, deservedly so. If you have any respect for others feelings, and for your own safety, common sense tells you not to address folks in such derogatory terms.

So interesting that the idealogical Christians are so quick to judge, when the very Bible they quote so frequently says so clearly, "judge not lest ye be judged"

Why is it that these self pronounced Christians, who actually only appear to be Christians from an idealogical/theoretical point of view, and NOT how they treat others, at least as it appears to be from their words as evidenced on this forum, remind me more, and More, AND MORE of having much more in common with the extremes of Islamic fundamentalism, than they do with any Christian values that I can find and am aware of in the Bible. Harsh words, and if I'm judging myself, I'm well aware of my own failure and lack of any right to do so, but I am just heartily sick of the Christian far right judgement that continually goes on here at MacNN, and trys to pass itself off as loving and caring Christian behaviour, which it quite self evidently IS NOT.

If someone was to take the lords name in vain, in essence it is a matter between THEM, THEIR GOD, and THEIR concscience. Why does the far right idealogical fundamentalist Christian try and continually force their viewpoint upon others.

Parallels with ISLAM?

Maybe they'd be all for chopping of your hand perhaps, but notwithstanding the lack of obvious physical violence (which is not to say that they don't incite it in others) the far right Christian movement is just as insidious in the way it trys to force it's ideology upon others, by the pen - playing all sorts of power/political games in the background to force it's agenda.

Me? - surprisingly I'm not anti-Christian, or indeed any religious/spiritual belief system that furthers the well being of the believer, and has postive, loving and caring flow on effects to others in society.

But I'm strongly anti-religion of any creed, when it comes to fundamenatalism practiced in an oppressive and harmful form. That includes fundamentalist Christianity and Islam.

John...
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2004, 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Johnnyboysmac:
Whole bunch of blah blah blah, blah blah blah blab, blah blah blah blah.
It's easy to be critical of someone defending their faith when all you desire to be is critical. As for calling someone a dumb ass. Shut up dumb ass.

There is nothing Scriptural saying you can't call a dumb ass a dumb ass. Scripture doesn't say you have to be likeable at all points in time, it says speak the truth in and out of season. You dumb ass.

The truth is you're a dumb ass, and I'm going to say that you're a dumb ass, because someone really needs to tell you you're a dumb ass. Do I wish for you to feel bad because you're a dumb ass? No, if anything I say that you're a dumb ass in the hope that you will cease to be a dumb ass. And so that others may know the words you're speaking come not form wisdom, but from a critical dumb ass.

Why don't you let the critique of Christians, fall to those who actually know what the heck their holy book says, instead of to dumb asses like you. Dumb ass.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 02:08 AM

You must've been asleep during mass.

No, you simply do not have the understanding of the importance of the rich traditions of the Church and its symbolism. The Church isn't full of itself, rather the use of incense, gold and ceremony are only there to aid worship, to emphasise the Catholic Belief that Jesus Christ is truly present in the appearance of bread and wine after the consecration.
In vino veritas.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2004, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by undotwa:
No, you simply do not have the understanding of the importance of the rich traditions of the Church and its symbolism. The Church isn't full of itself, rather the use of incense, gold and ceremony are only there to aid worship, to emphasise the Catholic Belief that Jesus Christ is truly present in the appearance of bread and wine after the consecration.
I appreciate some aspects of catholic architecture and ascetics, however I think that the pendulum should not swing to far form centre on anything, and I think the catholic church is a little far to one side on the visual aspects. And I won't start on their theolology.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 02:16 AM

I don't have to respect your religious laws, the same way you don't have to obey the religious laws of muslims or jews. Back off, you imposing your beliefs on others is more disrespectful...stay out of my language.
But there is a thing about trying to respect other beliefs, it's a courtesy thing, you have heard of that word have you?
In vino veritas.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 02:34 AM

I appreciate some aspects of catholic architecture and ascetics, however I think that the pendulum should not swing to far form centre on anything, and I think the catholic church is a little far to one side on the visual aspects. And I won't start on their theolology.
You see, without touching the Church theology, I must contest this:

As soon as these ceremonial aspects (such as Music, Incense, Bells etc.) start to inhibit worship, and come to the point that their primary purpose of inducing prayer no longer occurs but rather prevents prayer, then that is a wrong way conducting a mass (it should supplement and not be obstrusive).

Visual aspects are no where near as important as its underlying purpose: to emphasise that something miraculous is occuring, the consecration. Such an act is so central to the Catholic faith, it is no wonder that the Catholic Church tries to in its mass use ornamentation to emphasise the importance of the ceremony.
In vino veritas.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 02:52 AM

Nitpick: capitalized God Dammit is pretty specific, non capitalized god dammit is the generic version. And I always swear with capitals firmly in place!
I've seen translations of Muslim texts where Allah got translated as "God." Heck, I've even seen translations of the famous old Greek tragedies where a reference to all the gods collectively got translated to "God." So to my mind at least, no one has a monopoly on the word God.

Heck, isn't "Allah" the Arabic word for "God"? The Muslims are basically calling their deity "God" too, just in another language. Probably there are other religions that do the same thing.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Johnnyboysmac
Forum Regular
Jul 24, 2004, 03:13 AM

Hmm

Interesting. Superchicken said:

It's easy to be critical of someone defending their faith when all you desire to be is critical. As for calling someone a dumb ass. Shut up dumb ass.

There is nothing Scriptural saying you can't call a dumb ass a dumb ass. Scripture doesn't say you have to be likeable at all points in time, it says speak the truth in and out of season. You dumb ass.

The truth is you're a dumb ass, and I'm going to say that you're a dumb ass, because someone really needs to tell you you're a dumb ass. Do I wish for you to feel bad because you're a dumb ass? No, if anything I say that you're a dumb ass in the hope that you will cease to be a dumb ass. And so that others may know the words you're speaking come not form wisdom, but from a critical dumb ass.

Why don't you let the critique of Christians, fall to those who actually know what the heck their holy book says, instead of to dumb asses like you. Dumb ass.
By the words of your own mouth etc,,,,

One of the better examples, of a seemingly self-proclaimed, abusive, insulting and disrespectful fundamentalist fanatical Christian. Once again you appear to bring the teachings of Christ, that sincere and GENUINE Christians follow into disrepute by your selective editing/blinkered approach/interpretation of Christian doctrine to suit your own agenda, and arrogance.

What, pray do tell, gives YOU the right to judge me, upon what I may, or may not know as regards Christianity?

Hmm?? - I'd like an answer please. Does not the phrase/biblical quote, 'judge not least you be judged" mean anything to you?

And WHAT do you know of me, my background, my experiences? Nothing. Zero, Squat.

I am not, as I have previously stated, anti-religious, and certainly not anti-Christian.

However, as previously stated, I particularly dislike the missuse of Christian principles in the manner such as you seem often want to do, to either attempt to humiliate or denigrate people.

I am not perfect, make many mistakes, and almost without exception will admit and face up to them.

As far as Christian love and charity, two of the bedrock principles of Christianity, and the evidence of someone being filled with the spirit, as outlined in Galations 5 for eg, I get the impression by your words here, elsewhere, and in this instance directed at me, to be sadly lacking. Ergo, I have my doubts if you are actually a Christian at all.

In fact, I think you should head off and join Osama Bin Laden, as you appear to have a lot in common.

As to the dumb ass comment. Fair enough, not knowing your culture, it may be just a turn of phrase. But come over to my country, and see how far such an (to me) conceited, arrogant and insulting statement will get you. Not from me, I might point out, as I am against violence, and please don't go all immature and scream threats, when none is intended, vieled or otherwise, but the facts are that in my culture, a comment like that from you, to someone here, would get you a smack or two in the face. No doubt about that at all.

But then, this is not the US, and this is only an internet forum, so the point is a bit moot, but it is a point you should consider.

Oh, and when you head off to join Osama Bin Laden, maybe you should learn up on some of the local lingo as well, otherwise I think you journey to ultimate religious faith and knowledge could be a little short.

Cheers

Johnboi..
Populist thinking exalts the simplistic and the ordinary

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2004, 03:32 AM

The Romans definitely did not feed enough Christians to the lions. Pity.
weird wabbit

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 04:09 AM

sure, it's your right to speak your mind... but just because you can doesn't mean you should/ought.

Waiting to be flamed.
......O.K........I should'nt speak his mind if they can't think it's not right to not. Then again if her opinion isn't right to express then it's left not to not speak because they should not because it could'nt.

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
Plus most people I know didn't even know the word Allah till about three years ago....
I really don't mean to sound nasty but have you left the parking brake on too long in the neighbourhood of Ostrichville?

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 04:55 AM

i find it interesting that the religious right (at least in the past) has so often criticized political correctness, but when it comes to their own INSECURITIES and TABOOS, they become violently over-protective.

look, - when somebody says "jesus h fu<kin' christ" they're not thinking of your religion, or when people scream "OMFG" after they accidentally surfed to the ********** site, they don't want to insult your "god", - what they are doing is using "common language".

yes, common language. like when somebody says "good morning", or "good bye"... they don't really mean to wish you a "good morning". see, it's that easy. no persecution complex necessary. kind of like the word "fag". i use this word a lot. do i mean to insult homosexuals? NO! do i look down on them? NO! why? because in "common language" that word has morphed once again (from the original "twig for burning" it once described) to anybody we see as weak and feeble minded.

having said that, i do believe that one should be considerate of other people's feelings...but, IMHO, that is never ever more important than the INTENT of the word used. so the next time you hear somebody say something like "god fu<kin' dammit", just chill. they're not talking about your favorite carpenter / rabbi from days of yonder... they're just using "common language".

hth

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2004, 06:17 AM

Mate, as has already been pointed out, they use Allah because they're praying/talking a completely different language. I fail to see why you think that the word 'god' is so inmportant. As a word it isn't - because to people speaking other languages, their version of it holds the same meaning. They are still referencing the same thing, no?

Anyway, I always thought when people said 'god damn it!' they were asking god to damn the thing that they just been hurt by etc. Like when you hit your thumb with a hammer (I did it last week, so feel free to call me a dumbass ), you're not damning god because of it, but asking him to damn the god damned hammer.

Oh, the above was in reference to "How many people do you know, who believe in a God, really want to curse Him?". Saying 'god damn it' isn't cusing him... Or did I read what you were saying wrong?
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

Synotic
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 08:34 AM

I've seen translations of Muslim texts where Allah got translated as "God." Heck, I've even seen translations of the famous old Greek tragedies where a reference to all the gods collectively got translated to "God." So to my mind at least, no one has a monopoly on the word God.

Heck, isn't "Allah" the Arabic word for "God"? The Muslims are basically calling their deity "God" too, just in another language. Probably there are other religions that do the same thing.
Yes. Just an excerpt from Wikipedia's article:
Allah الله (pronounced: Allaah), is traditionally used by Muslims as the Arabic name of God. The word "Allah" is not specific to Islam; Arab Christians and Jews also use it to refer to the monotheist deity in Arabic translations of the Bible.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 09:04 AM

Wow, this is getting nasty.

I think this is all about the inherent power that words have. In ancient times, words were believed to hold a lot of power, names in particular were believed to hold some of the power of the person thus named. Now, words today don't quite hold the same mystical power as in ancient times. Since many more people are literate and can understand words and their meaning, the power in words comes through their meaning and context. They are still as powerful, perhaps more so, but their power comes from understanding, not mysticism.

I have always interpreted the commandment in question as a reminder for mortal man to not use the power inherent in the name of God for the wrong things, whatever that power happens to be. Is saying "God Dammit" a transgression? Perhaps, but only a slight one, since the phrase doesn't really mean anything nowadays, especially when used as a random exclamation. Nor do I think mentioning the name of God, Jesus, Allah, or whoever, in the context of a discussion is a transgression: we need to call God something when we talk about him.

A much more severe transgression is to kill, commit crimes, and do all manner of awful things in the name of God. Someone who is praising the name of God as he unjustifiable kills someone is more guilty of violating this commandment than anyone who has replied to this thread...

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by angaq0k:
Or try these...

Roman style:
Poseidon Dammit
Mnemosyne Dammit
Persephone Dammit

Um... that would be Greek Style. All the names you used are Greek.

Their Roman equivalents would be:

Neptune Dammit
(Technically, Mnemosyne was not a god, but a titan. The titans were the predecessors to the gods, and in fact, gave birth to them). There is no Roman equivalent name I could find for Mnemosyne either.
Proserpine Dammit

You left off Zeus Dammit in the Greek list. As the king of the gods, he certainly would be more important, wouldn't he? And then the Roman equivalent would be Jupiter Dammit.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Johnnyboysmac:
Hmm

Interesting how the idealogical fundamentalist Christians leap to defend their faith (understandably so) whilst by their own words seemingly demonstrating little of any substance that could lead one to believe they are living the truths of their faith by virtue of the way they speak, and treat others.
You are taking one person's actions, and while projecting them onto a whole group. You realize that right?

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
The Romans definitely did not feed enough Christians to the lions. Pity.
Wow, what if I had said "Aids hasn't killed enough homosexuals, pity" (Which I would never say)

Both statements are equally ignorant.

Way to show your ignorance theo.
( Last edited by Zimphire; Jul 24, 2004 at 12:07 PM. )

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by hagheid:
I really don't mean to sound nasty but have you left the parking brake on too long in the neighbourhood of Ostrichville?
Took me a second to pick up on the "heads in the sand reference" - it depends on where you live. When I lived in central Illinois, I don't think I knew anyone who was Muslim. Now in the Chicago land area (and when I attended U of I), I ran into lots of different religions. In rural American that happens more so, but there are plenty of people in large cities who have their blinders on the rest of the world and don't know much about those around them. They just know that they are *different*.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 01:24 PM

They just know that they are *different*.
We have a fat hook-handed rat over here (UK) hopefully coming to a place near YOU soon!

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by hagheid:
We have a fat hook-handed rat over here (UK) hopefully coming to a place near YOU soon!

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2004, 01:37 PM

He's talking about Abu Hamza
Just who are Britain? What do they? Who is them? And why?

Formerly Black Book

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 01:42 PM

Sorry this is big news over here..........President B(l)ush made yet another error in naming him as a global terrorist!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...ixnewstop.html

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 03:10 PM

What a great image description:

Abu Hamza: unwell

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 04:36 PM

Abu Hamza disqualified from the Olympic relay team..STOP... Unfair advantage cited over baton handover ...STOP....His previous experience handling dynamite proved less etc. etc.

Thank God this has strayed off topic somewhat. . . . . Oops a daisy...incoming!

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by undotwa:
In would agree that this is the image they like to portray while they practice their richest tradition: the tradition of making themselves richest.
Yes, the Catholic church is full of a staggering amount of tradition and symolism, that normally I would find very interesting. Alas, the Catholic church is also very much about power, whether it be through shame-based control, doctrines of procreation, or plain ol' fasioned money grubbing. Been to Catholic church (and was pleasently suprised that holy water did not burn me), married in a Catholic church, even went and saw the Pope (not my idea...) on some world youth day thing. Sorry, I think the Catholic church is a racket.

I won't convince you, you won't convince me.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 05:45 PM

My mum always says, 'Jesus, Mary & Joseph!', whenever she feels the need to let off some steam.

As to the Allah thing, it's a name of God out of many others. Some have argued that it's a contraction of Al-Ilah (The God), but more recent research suggets it's come down from Aramaic, which funnily enough was the language of Jesus.

So yeah, Allah is basically the name of God, just happens to be in Arabic.
Rockstar Games - better than reality.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2004, 07:20 PM

I don't know if it's been said here, but I often wonder what diagnose the doctors would give Jesus, should he return.

by doctors, I mean the psychologists.

people say i'm crazy, but who knows what people might say about Jesus.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
My mum always says, 'Jesus, Mary & Joseph!', whenever she feels the need to let off some steam.
In times of exasperation, my Aunt always blurts out "**** me Pink!" Difficult to take literally from a 75yr. old lady, yet highly entertaining. She Tut tuts blasphemous language with a vengence though.
Must be her Plymouth Brethern upbringing during the 30's gnawing still.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 24, 2004, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:
I don't know if it's been said here, but I often wonder what diagnose the doctors would give Jesus, should he return.

Yeah, I can see him sitting on the chair chatting with the psychs all day long when it happens

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 08:05 PM

This thread isn't going anywhere so.....

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 08:17 PM

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Fonzie:

Jesus displayed many classic symptoms of schizophrenia: hearing voices, fears of persecution, believing he had a "higher" purpose, wandering about, etc.

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2004, 08:44 PM

I'm reminded of a funny story. One of my ex's sisters was having a bad day, and while trying to dress her three-year-old yelled, "Where are her goddamn shoes!?!" Some weeks later, Grandma was visiting and asked the three-year-old which shoes she wanted to wear. With a perfectly straight face she pointed to her red ones and said, "My goddamn shoes." She really thought that that's what they were called. Everyone had a good laugh. Grandma was a devout Catholic but had a good sense of humor.

Unfortunately, I know other people who would've lectured or even punished the kid. If there's a God, he probably thinks humans are complete dolts.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Unfortunately, I know other people who would've lectured or even punished the kid. If there's a God, he probably thinks humans are complete dolts.

Indeed, it's amazing he has enough grace for us.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2004, 09:24 PM

Jesus displayed many classic symptoms of schizophrenia: hearing voices, fears of persecution, believing he had a "higher" purpose, wandering about, etc.

Funny story, zigzag.
( Last edited by MindFad; Jul 25, 2004 at 12:29 AM. )

wang_himself
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by Bluebomber21XX:
I am getting rather tired of seeing people around here throw out terms like, "g damn", "Jesus", "Jesus Christ" and the like when they are talking to/about someone. It's really offensive, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Rather than start another religious thread, let me just ask this: can you all just think about what you're saying before you type it? Does it *really* need to be said? If you believe in God, you shouldn't be saying it, and if you don't you shouldn't be either. It's not like it would add any seriousness to what you're saying, seeing as how you don't place any faith behind His name anyway.

Myself and others here would appreciate it.
I am an athiest. So non-existent man damn it!
/hi

wang_himself
Senior User
Jul 24, 2004, 09:38 PM

Also as George (would be god if there is one) Carlin would say:

"Invisible man in the sky damn it"
/hi

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2004, 10:39 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:

Funny story, zigzag.
not often you can squeeze Occam's Razor into conversation! Nice job.
Have often thought the same thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules