Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > C&C Generals WHEN?

C&C Generals WHEN?
nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 19, 2004, 09:21 AM

I checked Aspyr's website, but besides mostly useless information, such as system requrements (that may change at game's release) and ability to pre-order ... WHEN DO THEY ACTUALLY PLAN TO RELEASE IT? Does anyone have a somewhat reliable release date for this one?
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 19, 2004, 12:10 PM

Scheduled to come out on or around (as it often can change or be pushed back) February 22nd

k2director
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 08:43 PM

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

Switched2Mac
Baninated
Jan 20, 2004, 11:11 PM

THIS GAME RULES!

I play this on my PC so much. I cannot wait until it comes out for the Mac.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2004, 10:11 AM

I have to say I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about until I noticed the C&C Generals trailers on Apple's webpage. Holy cow this game looks good.

Olorin
Jan 22, 2004, 01:58 PM

I don't see why a game like this would require a 1Ghz PowerPC to play. I would guess WC3 requirements or less. I mean come on!
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Olorin:
I don't see why a game like this would require a 1Ghz PowerPC to play. I would guess WC3 requirements or less. I mean come on!
I think they used the same development paradigm used for SimCity 4 -- eg it's an unoptimized resource hog.

Olorin
Jan 23, 2004, 07:18 PM

well guess I won't be buying it until they optimize it. I know that it will roon like crap on my 1Ghz TiBook.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2004, 10:11 AM

My 1Ghz TiBook (see sig) is able to handle Warcraft III with absolutely no issues what so ever, which is nice. I finally loaded Rainbow Six: Raven Shield on it and I was able to play at native PB resolution with everything else on default. The gameplay was very smooth and only got jumpy when I was hit with A LOT OF action. Keeping all this in mind I would expect C&C to run at more then well ... at least as fast as W3. If it can't then its sad news indeed.
My Blog & Photos

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2004, 10:55 PM

Just checked my Apple web order status, and it says "shipping on or before 3/31".

This sucks. I ordered it in November. It better be good.

I got addicted to the demo on my buddy's XP laptop.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 12:58 AM

I have this for Windows... I got it from a friend. I read the manual and it seems cool. Maybe I should install it and play?

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2004, 06:37 AM

I will get this game when it's released. I played it on a Windowz PC before, and it's a really good game. (This was before I switched over to Mac)

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 03:27 PM

A PC friend says this game will be 'harder than anything else you've ever played.' Is C&C Generals gonna be too hard for a light-to-average gamer like myself?

I remember 5-6 years ago I was really looking forward to Sid Meyer's Andromedia (I think it was called). I bought it and it was so complicated I think I only played it about three times.

Asystole
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2004, 03:06 AM

This game is going to rock HARD.

The system requirements seem kinda steep though. I kind of expected my 1.25GHz iMac to be more than sufficient, not barely acceptable

Holigen
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 08:56 PM

I dont know though, Ive been on the EA boards for C&C Generals lately and it looks like EA has totally abandoned this game. People are crying for a new patch that will fix all of the bugs, balance issues and errors that plague the gameplay. Its really sad, I played Zero Hour at my friends house once and when it ran well it was great but most of the time it got errors, wouldnt connect, or just plain messed up

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

elvisripley
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 10:41 PM

I wrote Aspyr and they said that they were pretty sure that it would be mac to mac multiplayer only and the reason was a legal one not anything to do with compatibility. That is pretty weak. You all should write Aspyr and raise hell that this does not have mac to pc multiplayer.

xkidmidnightx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 05:06 AM

to the guy that said this should take the same resources or less then warcraft:

really man? have you played this? I have it on 3 pcs at my house, and it blows warcrap away graphics wise. I can totally see how it would require a MUCH more powerful computer than warcraft. The graphics in warcraft vs generals are analogus to 16 bit mario vs mario brothers 64.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by elvisripley:
You all should write Aspyr and raise hell that this does not have mac to pc multiplayer.
here here!

-- james

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2004, 12:41 PM

Its been pushed back to April.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2004, 02:16 AM

I may have to cancel my order then....

I've cancelled Splinter Cell already. I know its not Aspyr's fault per se except that they promised SC in November originally and Generals in January. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Tulkas:
Its been pushed back to April.
Our goal and target to ship C&C is still March. I'm doing everything I can to get a top notch game out soon.

We're finishing up the last details on it, working on multiplayer stability. We could have shipped C&C Generals a month ago if we didn't care about performance or stability, but we want to get it as right as we can. I know it's a bummer to have to keep waiting, but trust me we're doing our best to get it done quickly and still be clean.

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 29, 2004, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by GlendaA:
Our goal and target to ship C&C is still March. I'm doing everything I can to get a top notch game out soon.

We're finishing up the last details on it, working on multiplayer stability. We could have shipped C&C Generals a month ago if we didn't care about performance or stability, but we want to get it as right as we can. I know it's a bummer to have to keep waiting, but trust me we're doing our best to get it done quickly and still be clean.

Glenda Adams
Aspyr Media
Hi Glenda

Is Mac->PC networking going to ship with the game?

Thanks,

-- james

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 11:36 AM

Doesn't it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think they're delaying so that its fast and stable

I would doubt its going to be PC and mac multiplayer.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 04:01 PM

Now IMG says "Amity Lesko" says that it will hit stores in April, thats an even bigger delay
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2004, 04:46 PM

Hmm, I never noticed this before but it requires a DVD drive to install.

And yes, the networking is Mac to Mac only.

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 05:44 PM

We try to be extra conservative on officially saying when a game is 'in the stores'. If we ship the game in late March, some stores might not have it on the shelves for a week, others might have it in a day or two. I still hope it's in some stores by the end of the March, and we're working towards that.

We couldn't solve some really nasty technical problems with Mac to PC net play, so we had to make it Mac to Mac only. And we spent a LOT of time and effort on this, even pulling in the brightest minds at Apple to look at it.

Glenda
Aspyr Media

GlendaA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 06:09 PM

Oh, and on the DVD install thing- we did a lot of research and have decided to switch all our Mac games to DVD if they require more than one CD worth of data. It makes the install process easier (with C&C you just drag the game folder where you want it!), and we can add some extra stuff to the DVD like game trailers and demos.

Glenda
Aspyr Media

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 10:40 PM

Originally posted by GlendaA:
Oh, and on the DVD install thing- we did a lot of research and have decided to switch all our Mac games to DVD if they require more than one CD worth of data. It makes the install process easier (with C&C you just drag the game folder where you want it!), and we can add some extra stuff to the DVD like game trailers and demos.

Glenda
Aspyr Media
That sounds like a great idea, I wish more companies would start using DVD's instead of multiple CDs. Macs have shipped with DVD or Combo drives for quite some time now.

Powerbook
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 12:08 PM

I would *really* like to know more about the technical problems that stopped a Mac<->PC Multiplayer... WHAT could that be?

PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2004, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
That sounds like a great idea, I wish more companies would start using DVD's instead of multiple CDs. Macs have shipped with DVD or Combo drives for quite some time now.
But I got my dual 800 with a CD-RW only.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2004, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Powerbook:
I would *really* like to know more about the technical problems that stopped a Mac<->PC Multiplayer... WHAT could that be?

PB.
Yeah, I'm curious as well

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 02:49 PM

This game better kick ass. I am tired of these delays. Now the Apple Store says on or before 4/30. For a game ordered last November.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2004, 06:11 PM

I'm sure it'll be all worth it once it's released and we're all kicking ass on it.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2004, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by Macpilot:
This game better kick ass. I am tired of these delays. Now the Apple Store says on or before 4/30. For a game ordered last November.
As far as I know there have been no further delays. Our supplier is still expecting their supply around the beginning of April. Neither they nor us have received any information otherwise.

Holigen
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2004, 05:16 PM

Thanks Glenda. I cant wait for this game!

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

nsxpower  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2004, 05:44 PM

Lack of Mac->PC network play is a major drawback for me as for a lot of people. I may still buy the game (provided that it is reported to run reasonably well on my hardware (1Ghz TiBook)), but chances are I will stick with Warcraft III for my online-kicking ass needs (mostly getting my ass kicked, but it nice to beat somebody once in a while). A few of my PC friends got the game ages ago and while they said the gameplay was a little too easy (skirmishes are said to be a lot of fun) they really enjoyed the online component and I was looking forward to playing against them ... now that thats out of the question the value of the game drops dramatically.

I suppose there is an issue with getting Mac->PC networking and it would have to be serious enough because this factor alone will affect sales dramatically. I hope Aspyr surprises us and its works when the game hits the stores.
My Blog & Photos

FurionStormrage
Mar 22, 2004, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Yeah, I'm curious as well
I was burned on the Nascar 2003 Racing Season lack of compatibility and I bought the PC version of C&C Generals the moment I noticed it was Mac to Mac only.

NO game company that makes a PC port to a Mac without allowing someone to play against his/her PC buddies is going to see another dime from me.
I do not suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
But I got my dual 800 with a CD-RW only.
Isn't that CD-RW a combo drive though... Ie. it at least reads DVDs. Most drives today at least read DVDs.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Cipher13
Mar 31, 2004, 09:59 AM

Mac-to-Mac networking only?

****ing lame. I don't care what the excuse is... that's irrelevant.

Same reason I won't buy Raven Shield for Mac. What a waste...

Forum Links
Forum Rules