Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > OMG!!! WTF!!! car crash!!

OMG!!! WTF!!! car crash!! (Page 2)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by FulcrumPilot
never seen anything like this evar!

[Oversize image removed. Feel free to replace it with a URL or a size-compliant image. --tooki]

EDIT: Forgot where I saw that image!! thanks a lot for nothing tooki!

If you want to avoid it being deleted, your title should include Picture or Big Picture in that case. To bad the forums didnt have the ability to resize on its own the pictures.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
tooki, thanks for deleting my posts. Makes me feel real good to know that my 17 years in the Navy fighting for freedom is being used like that on this board.
oh for Christ sake stop belly aching in the open, complaints go to private messages. The man is doing his unpaid, unappreciated job.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:53 AM

It's just a big picture. So what?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 03:29 AM

Like I said before:

A. It's only a big picture. So what?
B. I'm on broadband.
C. If you're not on broadband, set your browser cache LARGE.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 03:39 AM

boo ****ing hoo

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 04:25 AM

Like I said before:

A. It's only a big picture. So what?
B. I'm on broadband.
C. If you're not on broadband, set your browser cache LARGE.
Since you dont read what the reason are I'll just entertain you with a dance

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 04:48 AM

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 05:37 AM

Your signature is also too large for us 56k'ers.

What happened to our resident sig nazi?
"angels bleed from the tainted touch of my caress"

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
Your signature is also too large for us 56k'ers.

What happened to our resident sig nazi?
So's My Arse!

Jesus man, I just woke up at that's the first thing I see? Don't do that! -TI
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jul 21, 2005 at 09:56 AM. )
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 06:34 AM

But, I saved the thread! I win teh intraweb!!

You all suck. Live by the rules, or go away. They are simple rules, not hard to follow. Don't blame the admins for enforcing the rules.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2005, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by as2
So's My Arse!

* snip pic of as2's arse *
Umm... ...thanks for that.

Might it be too impolite to suggest the use of some Andrex occasionally?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by as2
So's My Arse!

SNIP OF GROSS ASS
Well congrats, you have just made a Bi male straight, that is one gross ugly ass. It needs to be put through a car wash

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
Well congrats, you have just made a Bi male straight, that is one gross ugly ass. It needs to be put through a car wash
The wonders of Google Image search!

I can assure you that's NOT MY ARSE!

Search for ARSE and it's the 3rd photo

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by as2
The wonders of Google Image search!

I can assure you that's NOT MY ARSE!

Search for ARSE and it's the 3rd photo

May I ask if you look for Arses often.. actually nm I dont want a answer to that

as2
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Athens
May I ask if you look for Arses often.. actually nm I dont want a answer to that
Not ususally of the Male variety, but as you can probably see from my sig, I do have a certain affinity to the female form!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2005, 08:34 AM

Dudeness, that was a bizarre accident, and posting a picture of it was a good way to start a conversation about it. HOWEVER, whining about having to abide by the rules is NOT a good way to continue a conversation. I'm not going to comment on your playing the "Veteran card" except to say that it was pretty darn cheesy.

The mods' job is to make these forums usable for the user population, not to correct your failure to note that you were posting a poster-sized picture. You could have ASKED a mod to fix your post's title, or edited the post to include a link to the picture once you finished posting.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 21, 2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Thread disintegration)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
The car's bumper shows a "CZ" sticker; where did the accident happen?
I was thinking it is Checkers-slow-varkia.

I will fully admit I can't spell Czechoslovakia so will resort to how it sounds.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 09:27 AM

Me 'user'. Me no 'annoyed'

Please do not speak for me Ca$h, as most of the time I do not agree.

suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Jul 21, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ω
Me 'user'. Me no 'annoyed'

Please do not speak for me Ca$h, as most of the time I do not agree.
Me love you long time?

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 09:44 AM

Never been loved before GI

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Dudeness, that was a bizarre accident, and posting a picture of it was a good way to start a conversation about it. HOWEVER, whining about having to abide by the rules is NOT a good way to continue a conversation. I'm not going to comment on your playing the "Veteran card" except to say that it was pretty darn cheesy.

The mods' job is to make these forums usable for the user population, not to correct your failure to note that you were posting a poster-sized picture. You could have ASKED a mod to fix your post's title, or edited the post to include a link to the picture once you finished posting.
All we ask is that the owners of the site change the rules so that the MODs make intelligent changes based on the rules. We can not edit our own thread titles. We didn't make the rules. We don't have perfect memories and we are more interested in the content and a title that attracts attention. We forget about stupid image warning rules that are stupid since it ain't going to stop someone from viewing it anyhow.

All we ask is either A, make it so we can edit our thread titles, or B, just add the stupid useless warning.

It ain't as if the poster did it on purpose to torment everyone, he just forgot. The MOD should do the right thing, not the BULLY thing.

Proof of the Bully thing was when he deleted all posts complaining about his action (when in fact he derailed the thread) and the locking of my thread in the Feedback section requesting changes in the appropriate actions when we can't fix the error.

It's not like we can delete the whole post and start a new one with the correct warning. Then you'll lock it because it is a duplicate thread. THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM AND LEAVE THE IMAGE AS POSTED. All we ask is do the smart thing.

1) the rule is stupid. 2) we forget the rule 3) we can't fix the problem without destroying the post. 4) the mods can fix it, but they would prefer to have a reason to Bully the masses.

We want the MODs to do the right thing, not the Bully thing.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:01 AM

Fulcrim has been here long enough to know the rules, it is not like you guys haven't bitched and moaned about them incessantly for the last year.

How hard is it to modify the picture to fit the guidelines? Two people above even managed to make it the same size; who wooda thunk it?

Even on a fast connection large picture are annoying as it screws with the formatting of the site meaning you have to scroll left and right to read posts.

As for the "heavy-handedness" that is perceived - why not follow the guidelines for once? Maybe if you took time to read the really short list of guidelines you wouldn't get your panties in a knot when you didn't get your own way.

But then again it is much more fun to bitch and moan, right?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 21, 2005, 10:05 AM

Come on. There is no way FulcrimPilot is going to post a large jpeg on a thread and then purposefully omitt the jpeg warning in the title. Why? To piss off those on dial-up? Doubt it.

The thing here is, the mod could have PM'ed him a warning and then fixored the title for him...
Much easier than a Mod derailing a thread, then getting proper feedback, and then deleting all the posts after. Seems like overkill and a bit of a snowball effect resulting from a judgement error on the part of the mod, nest pa?

It is fun to bitch and moan though.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:09 AM

But will Fulcrim do it again? That is the real question.

Yes, well then he is taking the piss. No, well then he has learnt his lesson.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2005, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Come on. There is no way FulcrimPilot is going to post a large jpeg on a thread and then purposefully omitt the jpeg warning in the title. Why? To piss off those on dial-up? Doubt it.

The thing here is, the mod could have PM'ed him a warning and then fixored the title for him...
Much easier than a Mod derailing a thread, then getting proper feedback, and then deleting all the posts after. Seems like overkill and a bit of a snowball effect resulting from a judgement error on the part of the mod, nest pa?

It is fun to bitch and moan though.
I agree, proof of the MOD's inappropriate action is in his locking of my thread in the feedback section, not allowing us to discuss it there. He's a Bully with the wrong attitude.

The Mods could start by unlocking that thread and allowing us to discuss it there. Then maybe changing the action the Mods take when we FORGET the stupidd rule.

Ω
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:15 AM

Also, what you are asking for takes time. To do this would be nothing short of frustrating, and allows the 'users' of this board slip into bad habits as they know the powers that be will fix it for them if it is not correct.

Given that mac users are also meant to be 'smarter', why should the admins/mods have to do this at all?

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 10:21 AM

Could we get a yearly 5% increase in the number of pixels allowed before needing the JPEG Orgy warning? The number of people on dial-up gets smaller and smaller every year, while the rest of us keep getting bumped up to faster connections. Maybe once they're down to 20-30% they can put NoJPEG warnings in the threads they start if they want.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 21, 2005, 10:21 AM

What takes time? They use the same board engine many others use, where you can edit your own thread title... been there, they just tick a box in administration.

So this was an exercise in what exactly?

Control & Power?
What were we left with? A broken thread that is now about a MOD not the original topic.

What would have been better?

A. Fix the title, send the warning to the thread starter.
B. Delete the image, cause a ruckus, delete posts, lock another thread, make this thread about the MOD.

Mac users are smarter, but not perfect, and it did seem like an honest mistake on FP's part. There are cliques in here, and there are favorites and not-so-favorites by the mods, this is obvious. I don't think FP is on tooki's buddy list... based on this happenstance.

They could give us the power to change the title ONCE, so a warning would all that would have been necessary, even if at that. I'm sure one of us would have spoken up and told him to change the heading, because we are so (like us) and he'd have done so, if given the power to do so.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 10:32 AM

Since the thread topic was deleted, and as such, any off topic posts have been promised to be deleted (and aren't all posts off topic now, since there is, in effect, no more topic?) and any mention of that deleting has promised to be deleted, there really isn't much point in keeping this open.
Nemo me impune lacesset

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 10:42 AM

Obviously, the original topic of the thread is dead, so I closed it.

1. The image size rules are not because of modem users. If they were, we'd have limits on image file size and a maximum number of images: we have neither. The size limits are designed to prevent nasty horizontal scrolling on a typical 900px wide browser window. (We did careful study to determine the biggest possible size.)

2. The image rules are permanently listed at the top of every forum, along with what will happen to noncompliant images. It should be no surprise to anyone. If you follow the rules, your images will not get deleted.

tooki

P.S. None of this discussion is new, so don't bother starting a new thread on it. There are several already, with the fine details of everything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules