Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > imac g3 wireless

imac g3 wireless
bmd6491
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 05:00 PM

Im looking for a usb wireless adapter to work on a imac g3 500 mhz slotloading. under 30 dollars.

thanks brandon

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 4, 2006, 07:23 PM

Try looking in the NETWORKING forum... I guarantee that will get you better information. Mainly because all networking questions are supposed to go there, and I move all of 'em I see that aren't there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 07:37 PM

sorry about that thanks for the heads up.

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2006, 08:25 PM

Belkin makes one that works but its 40 bucks. and you gotta get the driver for it online.

bmd6491  (op)
Baninated
Sep 4, 2006, 08:48 PM

would like the dlink one work?

GabrieL^
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2006, 12:47 AM

i heard the D-Link DWL-G122 works.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2006, 01:21 AM

A wireless bridge (game adapter) should work. It also requires no drivers

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2006, 08:11 AM

I like Tuoder's idea best. A bridge connects through your ethernet port so it looks just like a wired network, as he says it needs no drivers, and it can be connected by a long enough cable that you can put it wherever it needs to be to get a decent (or even great) signal. A lot of USB devices are less than simple or easy to use because they need drivers, or have wimpy antennas or (usually) both.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2006, 10:28 AM

I, too, am interested in wirelessly networking my G3 iMac that's running 10.3.9. Is there a good USB wireless dongle that would work natively with OS X?

cwosigns
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2006, 12:53 PM

I just went out on my lunch break and picked up a wireless gaming bridge. I'm going to connect it to my iMac G3 with 10.3.9 after work. I'll report back this evening.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 06:22 AM

Wireless gaming bridges can suck because they're interface can be very limited. I got a pair recently that I had to return because it was almost impossible to load the web admin, and when I did I still had all sorts of problems, like they couldn't connect to networks with hidden SSIDs. Your G3 imacs might have honest to goodness airport slots, i'd try and save up for an airport card if thats the case. That will be by far the best solution, with the least headaches.

silivestru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 12:14 PM

There are 2 adapters that I tested and work with a iMac G3 500 OSX10.3. One is Belkin F5D7050 that works with the Ralink drivers. At this point you can get that at TechForLess.com a refurbished one. I had to install Ralink 3 times in order to make this one work. Another solution is Zonet ZEW2501(Zyxel1211) with Zonet Drivers. You can get this at newegg.com now for like $15AR. The Zonet solution is better integrated in Mac however no WPA support just WEP. The Belkin one has WPA but the intgration is lame and somebody just can see your key if you used one. So take your pick.

Forum Links
Forum Rules