Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real

Apple tablet / netbook / large iPhone is coming for real (Page 14)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Every Real Estate agent in the world is going to have an iPad.
Not really. If they didn't bother with laptops until now, they probably won't bother with an iPad either. The real tool of the real estate agent is a Blackberry, or possibly an iPhone.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It seems AAPL isn't quite holding up to the hype. It was $215 last week, but now down to $207.

Still, given the iPad's lacklustre introduction, it's holding up better than I expected. I wouldn't have been surprised if a drop below $200 occurred if the iPad didn't blow us away. That it's holding over $205 suggests AAPL investors are a little unsure at this point, hopeful, but not confident.
Spoke too soon. Today AAPL dropped 4% to $199 and change.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Apple hired a bunch of developers from DL. Calling it stealing is a bit harsh. It's a bookshelf, that's all.
Apple hired two devs away from Delicious Monster. To my knowledge, neither of them was involved in this project at all. Not sure how that makes makes a difference.

At any rate, the Delicious Monster guy wasn't really mad about this. He was just joking around on Twitter.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
In your OPINION, right?
No, it's a fact.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 05:18 PM

For me I can pretty much sum it up by saying that I find the iPod innovative but not imaginative.

Still gonna get one though and hope the 4.0 gives us a more thought out UI with multitasking. I'm still blown away that if I am chatting on skype doing anything else will end the call.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
No, it's a fact.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 06:33 PM

Not really. If they didn't bother with laptops until now, they probably won't bother with an iPad either. The real tool of the real estate agent is a Blackberry, or possibly an iPhone.
Laptops are as well. I have a good friend who is a realtor who is attached to her MBA and Cinema display.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 06:36 PM

No, it's a fact.
Right. Apple's putting together a device that people can't read. Got it.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 06:42 PM

It's a FACT that Shaddim's too old.

iPad Braille to the rescue

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 07:31 PM

Can they read on it? Yes. Is it as good as Epaper for reading? No.

That simple enough for you, or do you have a little more hyperbole for the rest of the class?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 07:41 PM

Has anyone heard anything about RAM? Why is there no information anywhere about how much RAM it has?

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Has anyone heard anything about RAM? Why is there no information anywhere about how much RAM it has?
Same reason there's no info about how much RAM the iPod touch and iPhone have. Apple doesn't want you worrying your pretty little head about it. Kinda makes sense. You'll never be able to upgrade the RAM in one; and you'll never see software descriptions listing minimum RAM requirements. When there are enough revisions that some models are more powerful than the original, the developers will specify a minimum OS or specific model name. But Apple doesn't want people to think of these as having a whole potential range of specs.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 08:03 PM

Then why do we know how fast the processor is?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Then why do we know how fast the processor is?
Because it's Apple's way of announcing that they're really in the processor game now.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 09:04 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 10:12 PM

Can they read on it? Yes. Is it as good as Epaper for reading? No.

That simple enough for you, or do you have a little more hyperbole for the rest of the class?
I'm just wondering why you're shoving your PERSONAL, ANECDOTAL experiences as FACT for the rest of us.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It's a FACT that Shaddim's too old.

iPad Braille to the rescue

-t

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 10:35 PM

I'm just wondering why you're shoving your PERSONAL, ANECDOTAL experiences as FACT for the rest of us.
Why are you?

Shaddim prefers e-ink to backlit LCD for reading. He prefers a portable e-book reader to physical books.

You don't.

Both are opinions. Nobody except you is trying to insist otherwise.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 10:56 PM

^Except that you have it backwards. Shaddim did actually say his contention was a “fact”. Not that I know why I’m getting into this pissing contest…

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
At any rate, the Delicious Monster guy wasn't really mad about this. He was just joking around on Twitter.
The point, though, is that is just as guilty of being "inspired" by other people's ideas as another major OS producer is.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2010, 11:26 PM

Have you guys spent much time reading opinions elsewhere? Looking at the Digg comment section you would think that Apple just released a $5,000 Tamagochi that sprays a cancer causing poison into the faces of schoolchildren and that anyone who buys a single Apple product is a mentally challenged hipster who couldn't even string together a few words to form a sentence.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 11:26 PM

The reality is that, like most things, e-ink and LCD each have their own advantages and disadvantages for reading.

e-ink consumes less power, doesn't have a refresh rate and has higher DPIs than LCDs resulting in less eye strain. But, e-ink is mono-chrome, isn't back lit, can't be used in low light and offers a level of interactivity only marginally higher than a book.

LCDs make a much richer experience possible, can be used in pitch-black and are sexier. But, their back light and refresh rates can result in eye strain, they can't be used very well in bright ambient light and they consume power at a much higher rate.

Given it's similarity to the reading conditions required by books, I wouldn't be surprised if the Kindle is more appealing to those who lament the end of the printed word.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Top ten apologist list.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Why are you?

Shaddim prefers e-ink to backlit LCD for reading. He prefers a portable e-book reader to physical books.

You don't.

Thanks for agreeing with me. That's exactly what I've been saying.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 04:38 AM

and, well, yes, it is.

Ever read a book on an epaper display? Because I've tried reading on both and epaper kicks the s**t out of LCD in that respect.
What were you reading on?

I don't think there's a tablet, or a laptop, on the market that uses an IPS display. They're all twisted-nematic.

The difference is the same as with the old 20" alu iMac vs. the 24" version - you could actually read stuff on the 24" iMac due to the *much* higher contrast and viewing angle.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
The Mac community would be singing a different story if it was Microsoft copying the bookshelf idea from Apple. I don't mind people being inspired from other people's ideas. What I don't like is the double standard.
You know, I keep hearing this every time Apple takes up an idea from elsewhere. Slashdot is really big on repeating this, as well.

Frankly, I haven't actually *heard* anybody complain about Windows' copy-catting since about a year after Vista's release. Even the fanbois wouldn't be "singing a different story" these days, really.

Either that, or I'm just getting older and refusing to listen, let alone care.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
^Except that you have it backwards. Shaddim did actually say his contention was a “fact”.
um.

( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Jan 29, 2010 at 02:19 PM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
You are right about that.. I just watched the keynote and it seems pretty damn cool. I really liked when they demoed the Pages app and moved that giraffe graphic around and the text f"ing automatically wrapped around it!
It's extremely cool that this works with your finger, but Pages has done that since the first version.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
What were you reading on?

I don't think there's a tablet, or a laptop, on the market that uses an IPS display. They're all twisted-nematic.

The difference is the same as with the old 20" alu iMac vs. the 24" version - you could actually read stuff on the 24" iMac due to the *much* higher contrast and viewing angle.
All of my desktop displays are IPS, none are TN. So are MBP 15 and 17" displays.

The display on the MacBook Pro is beautiful and is a significant improvement over what’s used in the base model thanks to Apple's use of an IPS panel instead of a TN panel. The result is much better off-angle viewing. I can't stress enough how big of a difference the display makes with the MacBook Pro and is honestly the main reason I would pick it over the regular MacBook as a work machine.
Yeah, I tried reading, as in serious reading (not just web browsing), on my IPS desktop displays and on my 17" MBP and it isn't nearly as comfortable (on my eyes) as reading on my Kindle. It's kinda the whole reason Amazon went that route to begin with, you know? As I said before, Epaper is far superior to any type of LCD for that kind of thing.

As a general gadget the iPad will be much better, it does a lot more. However, it isn't the ideal ebook reader.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 08:11 AM

Because it is a fact. Live with it.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 08:12 AM

Why are you?

You don't.

Actually, no, I prefer dead tree books. However, it's hard to cary around 1000 of those at one time without a string of pack mules.
- Thomas Paine

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 09:34 AM

All of my desktop displays are IPS, none are TN. So are MBP 15 and 17" displays.
AFAIK, that information is incorrect.

Rob Galbraith DPI: A look at the evolving laptop display
January 2009
"We know of no IPS screens in current-model laptops, ThinkPads or otherwise"

IPS screens draw a lot more power, and they have terrific viewing angles, both vertically and horizontally.

The viewing angle on all MacBook Pros is a dead give-away: they are NOT IPS panels.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 11:15 AM

It's extremely cool that this works with your finger, but Pages has done that since the first version.
I've always had Pages on my Mac(s) but since I'm in school I've always had to use Word because almost all of my professors have on their syllabus "MUST USE MICROSOFT WORD WHEN EMAILING PAPERS/ASSIGNMENTS!".

Heres another Top Ten List From CNET

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 11:21 AM

But you know Pages can export to Word documents, right?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 11:23 AM

i is dumb. I just realized that.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Have you guys spent much time reading opinions elsewhere? Looking at the Digg comment section you would think that Apple just released a $5,000 Tamagochi that sprays a cancer causing poison into the faces of schoolchildren and that anyone who buys a single Apple product is a mentally challenged hipster who couldn't even string together a few words to form a sentence.
Ahaha this made me laugh.

Thanks for agreeing with me. That's exactly what I've been saying.
You could try saying it in a slightly less aggressive/angry manner, then.

Perhaps there are studies showing that e-ink is easier on the eyes than backlit LCDs.

Why does it even matter? Nobody's forcing you to buy an eBook reader or an iPad.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:00 PM

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:03 PM

You could try saying it in a slightly less aggressive/angry manner, then.
Perhaps there are studies showing that e-ink is easier on the eyes than backlit LCDs.
Why does it even matter? Nobody's forcing you to buy an eBook reader or an iPad.
I think what we learned is this:

ALL absolute statements are ALWAYS to be avoided. Including this one.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:06 PM

I think the most interesting part of this particular product release is that Apple surprised us... in that they failed to surprise us. There was no killer app. There was no killer feature. The new iPad is the evolutionary product that we uncreative peons were predicting.

And that's a disappointment.

P.S. AAPL is now down to $195 and change.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:18 PM

I think the most interesting part of this particular product release is that Apple surprised us... in that they failed to surprise us. There was no killer app. There was no killer feature. The new iPad is the evolutionary product that we uncreative peons were predicting.
One can argue that the same was true for the first iPhone and iPod.
Remember how people where quick to point out that none of the technologies used in those were new, and that all of it could be found in other MP3 players and smart phones ?

What people ALWAYS fail to realize is that Apple's products never present something completely new.

But they always improve over existing products, especially in terms of GUI and usability.

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:19 PM

P.S. AAPL is now down to $195 and change.
As it ALWAYS is after a major new announcement.
Nothing different with the iPad as compared to other releases before.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 02:22 PM

No, that wasn't the point he was making.

On this board several people predicted the iPad would be exactly this. In fact all over the web people predicted it would be exactly this. A big iPod touch with an ebook reader app. OTOH nobody here predicted the iPod or iPhone properly before it came out.

And that makes a lot of sense. For Apple, the iPod and iPhone were revolutionary products. They were rooted in areas of technology where Apple previously hadn't worked. The iPad OTOH is evolutionary. It builds on technology that Apple was already well familiar with. And hence the lack of surprise.

The iPad might turn out to be a success. But surprise it wasn't.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 02:25 PM

As it ALWAYS is after a major new announcement.
Nothing different with the iPad as compared to other releases before.

-t
Seems like it's down a bit more than usual though, especially since it was $20 higher a few weeks ago.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 02:54 PM

AFAIK, that information is incorrect.

Rob Galbraith DPI: A look at the evolving laptop display
January 2009
"We know of no IPS screens in current-model laptops, ThinkPads or otherwise"

IPS screens draw a lot more power, and they have terrific viewing angles, both vertically and horizontally.

The viewing angle on all MacBook Pros is a dead give-away: they are NOT IPS panels.
I just checked with Anand, to be more precise one of his staff who is a friend of mine, and the MBP does indeed have an IPS panel. I'm not sure where the break could be, or who is at fault here, but the display on my 17" is superb at indirect viewing angles. Personally, I'd trust Anand first, he really is the best at his job.
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:05 PM

I think what we learned is this:

ALL absolute statements are ALWAYS to be avoided. Including this one.

-t
I love making absolute statements, especially on an online forum. People get their knickers all in a bunch.
- Thomas Paine

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
And that makes a lot of sense. For Apple, the iPod and iPhone were revolutionary products. They were rooted in areas of technology where Apple previously hadn't worked. The iPad OTOH is evolutionary. It builds on technology that Apple was already well familiar with. And hence the lack of surprise.
> They were rooted in areas of technology where Apple previously hadn't worked.

That doesn't make it revolutionary. Again, the iPod and iPhone were NOT successful just because Apple decided to incorporate hardware technology that was already used by others for MP3 players and smart phones.

Their success was based on very good usability and design features.

According to your definition, of "revolutionary", the iPad would be as well, because Apple had not previously worked on tablets.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 29, 2010, 03:21 PM

Umm, no. For the reasons pointed out above.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777
That doesn't make it revolutionary. Again, the iPod and iPhone were NOT successful just because Apple decided to incorporate hardware technology that was already used by others for MP3 players and smart phones.
Were there any phones with capacitive multipoint touchscreens before 2007?
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Jan 29, 2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added quote for clarity)

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Were there any phones with capacitive multipoint touchscreens before 2007?
Good point. I have to agree, this was truly a technological innovation / revolution.

However, before I concede too much ( ), one has to keep in mind that capacitive multipoint touchscreens mean nothing w/o the GUI and usability it gives. In THAT respect, Apple was definitely revolutionary.

BUT (to get back at Simon's point), there are no capacitive multipoint touchscreen tablets on teh market either, so by that definition, the iPad is also revolutionary, and not just evolutionary.

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Umm, no. For the reasons pointed out above.
Huh ? Above ? What are you referring to ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules