Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safeware Question

Safeware Question
MacLover08
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2006, 05:53 PM

I have a safeware question and didn't know where to put it. I would like to purchase it for my Macbook Pro. The policy premium would be $112 is that a monthly charge or a one time charge? Does anyone know?

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2006, 06:38 PM

one-year charge.

i've had safeware insurance for a few years.
never had to call upon it...but feel better carrying my powerbook around...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by fisherKing View Post
one-year charge.

i've had safeware insurance for a few years.
never had to call upon it...but feel better carrying my powerbook around...

That's right it is yearly, but covers, printers etc up to value that you reported when youi bought it.

When your PB gets older is worth less reissue a new policy, instead of renewal. I sell it to my wife and then you can reduce value of computer. It is not fraud, I just know the value of the claimed sale is all they will pay, if they can't fix or find a replacement.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 10, 2006, 11:12 PM

I just ordered my insurance. now i feel much better about lugging my mbp around everywhere. fyi, i emailed safeware with additional questions and they responded...here are their responses in case it will help anyone else that wants to insure their new babies.

1. I just bought an Apple MacBookPro and it was a hefty penny. I also have a new Canon printer that I got back in September. I bought these items online...do online receipts count as proof of purchases?

Online receipts would be fine as long as it includes the computer information and your personal information.

2. I also plan to get a new digital camera and a camcorder, but I probably won't get those until later. If I buy a global policy now, would I only be covered for what I currently own or does that cover future purchases during the policy period?

The Global policy is a blanket coverage policy so a list of equipment is not taken. All future purchases will be covered as long as your coverage is sufficient to cover all of your equipment.

3. Do I need to insure items separately (take out a policy for my laptop, another for my printer, another for my cameras) or would they all be included ont he same policy?

The policy will cover all computer related items such as laptops, printers, scanners, digital cameras, PDA’s, and MP3 players, etc. The policy does not have an item limit.

4. f I am overseas at the time of loss, theft, or damage (this is important because i may go to graduate school overseas) could replacements or repairs be sent directly to my overseas address with the global policy? If so, would the shipping still be free?

Please remember that loss of a unit is not covered. In the case of theft you will need to file a police report and a copy of the report (translated) will need to be forwarded to your claims adjuster. In the event of damage the unit may be repaired overseas as long as the repair facility is authorized to work on that type of equipment. In either case proof of ownership will also need to be forwarded to your claims adjuster.

5. Is this policy infinitely renewable? I ask because it is only listed as a 90 day or 1 year option, but I would definitely want it much longer than that since I travel so much.

The policy is renewable each year pending underwriting guidelines. The underwriter has the ability to cancel a policy due to extensive loss history. Changes in underwriting may also revised the availability of the policy.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

MacLover08  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 12:19 AM

ok with that in mind should i still get apple care or just go with the safeware?

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 11, 2006, 12:46 AM

my understanding i shtat safeware does not cover hardware issues....so, I would just spring for applecare as well...I got applecare with my machine...so if i have a hardware problem within the next 3 years, they will deal with it....an di will let safeware cover theft and "oops" issues.
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

Forum Links
Forum Rules