Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'm finally 21

I'm finally 21
demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:07 PM

Hmm... what to do, what to do...

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 01:15 PM

Do you live in the U.S.A.? If you do, go to a nice pub with your friends and enjoy a pint of some good ale.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by demograph68:
In the words of one of my underage college dorm-mates (who lived down the hall from me) when I turned 21:

"YOU CAN BUY ALCOHOL!"

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:28 PM

Continue buying the booze you have been buying before. Simple as that.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Goldfinger:
Continue buying the booze you have been buying before. Simple as that.
Ha, how true.

I've had a fake since I was 17, when I turned 21 its was just more legal.

Congrats Demo, now its your duty to get so drunk you puke tonight

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
Ha, how true.

Are these laws really enforced ? Do you really need to show your ID when you buy some booze ? I never bought booze myself while staying in the states so I wouldn't know.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Do you live in the U.S.A.? If you do, go to a nice pub with your friends and enjoy a pint of some good ale.
Duh. The only place where 21-y-o is a special birthday is the U.S.

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
Duh. The only place where 21-y-o is a special birthday is the U.S.
I thought that in some other countries the legal drinking age was 21 too, but I Just did a search on google and your are right.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol-info...inkingAge.html

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2005, 02:09 PM

Are these laws really enforced ? Do you really need to show your ID when you buy some booze ? I never bought booze myself while staying in the states so I wouldn't know.
Well, once I showed my fake ID a few times I just kept going back to the same place and they never carded me again...basically till I was 21.

In Mass. the laws are VERY strict, my friend was unable to enter a club the night of his birthday, so he waited a half hour till 12 and then they let him in...stupid. Also most places have blacklights that detect watermarks and other visual goodies on our liscences.

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 02:12 PM

According to lots of medical studies that no one can seem to find. You are now at your sexual peek. Go and do something with it while you can. Try not to drink too much or you might not remember what a good time you had.

macroy
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 02:41 PM

Here in the US - it is very much enforced. Some jurisdictions have "raids" where law enforcement pose as "minors" and see if they are carded. If caught, one could lose their liquor license.

Locally, most places that sell alcohol will also put up signs to inform patorns that hey will card anyone looking younger than 35.

Sexual prime? I thought that was 18.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 03:01 PM

Congrats from ManOfSteal!

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 03:06 PM

Happy birthday!

I say get together with a group of friends and hang out. Buy some alcohol for the group if that's your thing. End the night with your girltoy (IIRC, you have one).
Originally posted by macroy:
I thought it was 17 for males.

busterhide
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2005, 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by macroy:
I thought it was 17 for males.

Well there you go. So many studies so many different conclusions. Instead of trying to figure if your prime or not go out and do something that you will remember your 21st for.

Happy Birthday

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 03:20 PM

I won't get to do anything special tonight... I'll probably get some Vodka and watch a couple movies or whatever. Tomorrow I'll at least get to see my girlfriend. (She doesn't drink though, not yet anyways.)

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 03:24 PM

Ha, how true.

I wish it had been as easy for me to get a hold of. I once had a group of friends that I could party with some years ago... I guess I just lost interest in the whole thing. I grew out of it. I'm a loner so I guess it was just the naturally thing to do.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 04:41 PM

Also most places have blacklights that detect watermarks and other visual goodies on our liscences.
yup, we do at the place i work. some other places have a scanner that scans the magnetic strip on licenses and tells you if it's been chalked or whatever. another red flag is if it still says "under 21" on it. get to the DMV if you haven't already.

careful with the 21 thing. we had this dumbass kid who had us all convinced he was overage then he had the balls to come in on his 21st with his parents. the manager came over to wish the kid a happy birthday, and asked "so, how old are you anyway?". the father then said "My little boy is finally 21!"

he got canned on the spot. happy birthday dumbass.

Demo, have a blast, but be careful it's cold as crap out there.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 04:41 PM

go to georgia* and buy a 40 and a lottery ticket.

* any state that sells 40's and lottery tickets around you.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 07:33 PM

i remember drinking being alot more cool when i was under 21, after that i really didnt drink that much...until i got married

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 07:35 PM

I turned 18 two years ago and have yet to buy a beer, bottle of wine or anything else... it's nasty tasting and smells like... well... yah it's gross.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I turned 18 two years ago and have yet to buy a beer, bottle of wine or anything else... it's nasty tasting and smells like... well... yah it's gross.
i used to hate beer and alcohol in general, now i rather like it. beer and wine, i tend to stay away from hard liquor

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 07:46 PM

How long did it take?
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 07:59 PM

So I'm now back and with booze. The cashier didn't even ask for an ID. But damn, it's really freezing out! -3�F

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:02 PM

So I'm now back and with booze. The cashier didn't even ask for an ID. But damn, it's really freezing out! -3�F
what did you pick up?

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by nredman:
what did you pick up?
Either it was beer or Smirnoff, so I chose the latter. I have very little knowledge with brands so I couldn't really decide what was good.

greenamp
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
I was the exact same way man. I still do not like wine, but I love the taste of a good beer or whiskey now. It's funny how our tastes change.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:12 PM

Either it was beer or Smirnoff, so I chose the latter. I have very little knowledge with brands so I couldn't really decide what was good.

smirnoff triple black is good. my wife likes all the flavored smirnoffs, they are okay but i'm not a huge fan.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by greenamp:
I was the exact same way man. I still do not like wine, but I love the taste of a good beer or whiskey now. It's funny how our tastes change.
i didn't really like wine either until i started learning more about it.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:14 PM

smirnoff the vodka, not smirnoff the chick fuel, right?

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:40 PM

1. crack
2. hookers
3. repeat 1 and 2

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 08:40 PM

smirnoff triple black is good. my wife likes all the flavored smirnoffs, they are okay but i'm not a huge fan.
That's what I got. It's too sweet though for my tastes. What do you prefer?

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 09:04 PM

That's what I got. (Smirnoff Ice)

This thread has now become the "what should D68 really drink" thread.

I say Bombay Saphire and Tonic (for a n00b). Tanqueray 10 and soda for me.

As for 21st bday stuff: my friends and I had fun outside of the bar. At Michigan State, some jackass did shots til he died a few years back, so they really watch you on your 21st. Instead, we started a tradition:

Pass the fifth.

Directions:
1. buy fifth of Jagermeister.
2. align willing friends in a circle.
3. open fifth
4. drink fifth til you can't anymore.
5. pass to your left.
5a. repeat this process until the fifth is empty.
6. Rejoice.

On my 21st, we got loaded from the above then did century club with some girl friends of ours, went longboarding down a parking structure, ran around in whitey tighties with the girls, slip and slided through the street, and then passed out in a random house with a random girl. (my friends lost track of me somewhere.) The goal of the night was to make me throw up, but I can't and never have, so I just got really, really drunk.

I say ditch the bar and do some crazy sh1t you normally wouldn't do. Everybody goes to the bar on their 21st. Think Different�

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 09:09 PM

That's what I got. It's too sweet though for my tastes. What do you prefer?
depends on my mood, either beer or wine. beer took me a long time to get a taste for, i used to hate it. started out with any of the watered down boring american beers. now i try to drink beers with more flavor. if you like any sodas (pepsi, coke, dr pepper) you can always pour alittle bit a vodka in them for a nice buzz. i have been trying to stay away from drinking to get drunk because its a waste of time and money. thats why i have been drinking more wine lately and trying to learn about the wines and such. you just have to try stuff out i guess, if you like beer...pick up a 6 pack of something once and awhile and see if you can find something you like. also i do like mike;s hard lemonade, lime, & cranberry lemonade. i am drinking heineken alone tonight like a big loser since the wife is at work. oh well

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 09:10 PM

I don't suppose they carry Bombay Saphire and Tonic at the local convenience store, huh? If not, I'm SOL. Sorry for being a wuss. I'm trying damnit!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
cut the guy some slack, not everyone is made for doing jag bombs and **** like that. i'm sure as hell not one of em.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 09:47 PM

I don't suppose they carry Bombay Saphire and Tonic at the local convenience store, huh? If not, I'm SOL. Sorry for being a wuss. I'm trying damnit!
what you CAN get is a nice lambic though. i totally feel you on the no hards anywhere but liquor stores in NY though. hogwash i say.

the raspberry lambic is excellent. hennepin i think? that or something like hornsbys would be nice alternatives to the smirnoff bilge you just bought.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2005, 09:51 PM

cut the guy some slack, not everyone is made for doing jag bombs and **** like that. i'm sure as hell not one of em.
True, but your 21st is the ONE DAY (in the US) you have available to you to be a complete jackass and get cut some slack by everyone (including the police). Do it right.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2005, 03:44 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
True, but your 21st is the ONE DAY (in the US) you have available to you to be a complete jackass and get cut some slack by everyone (including the police). Do it right.
I am sure the Grim Reaper would not cut me some slack if I overdosed on my 21st birthday.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2005, 02:32 PM

Jose Cuervo
Sprite (Sierra Mist is better)
Grenadine

Enjoy!

As for beers its tough. I'm an IPA man so I recommend Bass Ale, Harpoon IPA, Red Hook IPA, Smuttynose IPA, and Wachusett Ale. If your low on funds and can find Koch's Golden Anniversary Ale that would be agreable too.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by The Godfather:
I am sure the Grim Reaper would not cut me some slack if I overdosed on my 21st birthday.
Dear dear, aren't we being a bit negative.

I wouldn't even know HOW to overdose on booze, honestly. When you had too much you probably puke and fall to sleep, that's it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2005, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Good ale ? In the USA ?

Mwahahaha !

SCNR

-t

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2005, 05:49 PM

I'm proud of everyone for not turning this into a beer snob thread.

Demo, I didn't get carded on my 21st birthday, either. Kind of a let down, but I think it's that you're showing your ID with such confidence it doesn't raise any flags.

After I turned 21 I didn't think there was anything left to live for (in terms of birthday mile-markers), but then I found out that car insurance goes way down when you turn 25. Huzzah!

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2005, 05:58 PM

I wouldn't even know HOW to overdose on booze, honestly. When you had too much you probably puke and fall to sleep, that's it.
Some people don't get 'drunk' the way most do. So they can keep drinking until they just die from too much alcohol in their blood. I've had friends who passed out and woke up in a hospital because of this, minutes before you wouldnt even have thought they were smashed.

Chris

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 10:18 AM

Play catch up with Canadian 19 year olds lol
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

milkmanchris
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2005, 11:57 AM

An old school friend died at 25, when he fell asleep and choked on his own vomit

12" 1.33 G4 PB 80GB 768MB .....20GB iPod

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2005, 12:08 PM

Happy 21st B-Day. It the time of your life kid, enjoy.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

demograph68  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2005, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by milkmanchris:
An old school friend died at 25, when he fell asleep and choked on his own vomit
I'm sorry to hear that.

anthonyvthc
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2005, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
I'm proud of everyone for not turning this into a beer snob thread.

Demo, I didn't get carded on my 21st birthday, either. Kind of a let down, but I think it's that you're showing your ID with such confidence it doesn't raise any flags.

After I turned 21 I didn't think there was anything left to live for (in terms of birthday mile-markers), but then I found out that car insurance goes way down when you turn 25. Huzzah!
Yeah, and at 35 you can run for president!

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 04:59 AM

Scary, that was just a day before my birthday.

Happy birthday!
Aloha

iCol
Senior User
Jan 29, 2005, 08:44 AM

M favourite tipple at the moment is Havana Club Especial rum, with coke and lime you have the perfect Cuba-Libra!

Though I hear you can't get Havana rum in the US as it is Cuban? Is this right?

If so, you are all missing out on so much!
F is for Fooyork.

Forum Links
Forum Rules