Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Neo OS

Neo OS (Page 2)
absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by billy_2004:
Neo OS PRODUCT LINEUP HISTORY:
BETTAFISH INC.
BTW, just because you put "INC." after your name doesn't mean you really are incorporated.

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 10:19 PM

Wow...simply stunning. This person really came out of the woodwork!

Yikes!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

krove
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2004, 10:26 PM

And is this person's name liz philips or jacob mclean?

- here's some more good stuff from our friend
http://www.geocities.com/bettafish2000/index.html

BTW, you misspelled "they're" in your second "Great Challenge."

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by krove:

I think our "jaykub" is perhaps a 12 year old matrix fan. Could it be?
weird wabbit

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2004, 06:09 AM

Also, "databases" was misspelled in the same movie.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

workerbee
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Why doesn't she/he/it just write a window manager for Linux?
I vote for "it".
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

jaiqua
Jan 8, 2004, 09:17 AM

I went to that site and had a look at the 'great challenge' animation; how does that tie into this Neo OS thingy?
the navajo know

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 10:52 AM

they are both made in flash

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=194277
more of its work

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2004, 11:05 AM

Christ - is this thread still going - can't we get it locked somehow?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2004, 11:09 AM

And this thread was the bettafish's marvellous debut on the MacNN forums:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...book+bettafish

Had a rrreally good laugh at that one.

"This post is valid."

-s*

biscool
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2004, 01:01 PM

Neo OS Rules!!! It will crush OS X despite the fact that it only runs on win98 era x86 gear and its NOT AN OS. It is the greatest flash based GUI I have seen today that is called NEO OS. Watch OUT!!!

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 01:21 PM

All right, at first I thought this guy wrote his own virtual environment, with his own schedulers, vm, cache, threading, what not.

Looks like its just a candy ass flash interface on top of windows.

You can't call something an OS unless it actually does things an OS is supposed to do. You know, multitasking, memory management, swapping...

This is just a re-iteration of Microsoft Bob. And we all know how well that did.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2004, 01:29 PM

My eyes!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 8, 2004, 02:18 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
And this thread was the bettafish's marvellous debut on the MacNN forums:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...book+bettafish

Had a rrreally good laugh at that one.

"This post is valid."

-s*
dang! THAT guy ... of course!! now i remember ...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Jayznkelc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2004, 03:11 PM

Bettafish/Billy 2004, please don't stop with the comedy keep it coming, but put it in another fourm. Maybe there should be a Comedy fourm, and he could post his rants in there. I'm sure he's got plenty more material.

-- I'll bet you he's at MWSF right now, getting the low down all the stuff Steve Jobs didn't show. In fact, I'll bet Neo S with Red Pants file management softwhatever will replace OS X and be Apple's answer to Longhorn. An addition, I smell a new positon for Bettafish/Billy 2004, maybe a R&D position? But I'm sure that's only for the short term, until he leaves and Bettafish Inc. (HAHA thats classic) buys out Apple! Watch out Bill Gates, here comes Bettafish/Billy 2004

benb
Jan 8, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
My eyes!
I thought those were pretty cool. Way beyond my skillz anyway. Especially the second one. How do you do that 3D stuff in flash.

Jacob should just stick to animation and not trolling.

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2004, 09:20 PM

he doesnt do the 3d stuff in flash, he does it in something else and uses anothe prrogram to do all the actual vector work for him, then drew a crappy stick man over it frame by frame haha

jaiqua
Jan 8, 2004, 09:28 PM

Looks like he used Lightwave or Cinema 4D for the anim. you can tell by the way the little character's legs keep popping, a sure trait of LW's IK problems
the navajo know

brachiator
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 01:06 AM

Damn, boy! The Bettafish's New Fighting Technique Is Unstoppable!

stew
Senior User
Jan 10, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by himself:
It seems that a lot of folks forget... there was a "lite" (free) version of BeOS that could be started as an .exe in windows. As far as I can tell, it was a full fledged operating system.
Not quite. What the exe did was reboot your whole computer, then load BeOS. It's comparable to the Installer on the OS X CDs - if you double click that from OS 9, it reboots the whole computer and loads OS X.

Stink different.

Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 12:11 PM

They both are made by an idiots.

X

Originally posted by jaiqua:
I went to that site and had a look at the 'great challenge' animation; how does that tie into this Neo OS thingy?

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Xerxes:
They both are made by an idiots.

X
they both run on Red Globe file system which lets your graphics go ten times faster thanks to the new OPTIM-X type engine, you see for years computers have had to use 8 secret processors to draw a T on the screen, they're so hard to draw and the problem is every os on the planet has lots of T's in the source code but thanks to OPTIM-X it can use the AWSOME power of your cd drive to draw the T's giving you 8 more secret processors that can be used to power the Red Globe fighting filing system.
p.s Red Globe also powers mac os 11 according to bettafish, coincidentally os11 also has a user interface called Neo.

Xerxes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 04:09 PM

I always assumed the Globe file system was developed by Delta 1 and it runs slower than OPTIM-X, but not as a fast as os11.

Then again, I was told that the each render engine in osX was powered by 15 secret processors developed by Terrorist states but secretly funded by the West.

Originally posted by sushiism:
they both run on Red Globe file system which lets your graphics go ten times faster thanks to the new OPTIM-X type engine, you see for years computers have had to use 8 secret processors to draw a T on the screen, they're so hard to draw and the problem is every os on the planet has lots of T's in the source code but thanks to OPTIM-X it can use the AWSOME power of your cd drive to draw the T's giving you 8 more secret processors that can be used to power the Red Globe fighting filing system.
p.s Red Globe also powers mac os 11 according to bettafish, coincidentally os11 also has a user interface called Neo.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 04:56 PM

<kellyhogan> Red Globe's window compositing is sh*t compared to Longhorn OS </kellyhogan>

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

sanity assassin
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 05:08 PM

Sorry if this has been posted before, but here's the scoop on os x 11 aka NEO.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...&highlight=neo

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2004, 05:16 PM

Red Globe is a very fitting name for a product by someone who sounds like he is from Mars.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by sanity assassin:
Sorry if this has been posted before, but here's the scoop on os x 11 aka NEO.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...&highlight=neo
Whoa Now you're scarin' me. What we have here is a truly unbalanced individual. This is beyond the pale of mere trolling.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 10, 2004, 08:14 PM

I dont think Apple is going to switch their system JUSt like over to red globe. That would mess up their whole aim. they have so many developers and such now, why would they blow it all and suddenly change it? surely this is a false rumour

Chris O'Brien
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2004, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Insecure bone:
I dont think Apple is going to switch their system JUSt like over to red globe. That would mess up their whole aim. they have so many developers and such now, why would they blow it all and suddenly change it? surely this is a false rumour
Mate, don't take anything bettafish/billy_2004 says seriously. He/she/it is just a very strange person/thing... It's not a rumour, just the ranting of a severely unbalanced lunatic

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 10, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by himself:
It seems that a lot of folks forget... there was a "lite" (free) version of BeOS that could be started as an .exe in windows. As far as I can tell, it was a full fledged operating system.
Actually, no.

The exe in windows simply rebooted the computer and made it start up from the BeOS File on the hard disk. That file was a partition within a filename which contained the Personal Edition of the operating system. But make no mistake, the computer rebooted and ran only from that partition- it was a true operating system.

I think this thread belongs in Developer more than Mac OS X - it has plenty to do with this development effort and little to do with OS X. Now, if he were to update the GNUStep compatibility to run Cocoa apps on the other architecture, that'd be something to see. Of course that's nothing short of impossible, but it's about the only way I can see this being OS X relevant.

There's obviously no reason for it to be here. There's plenty of better places the development effort could be spent (linux, openbeos, etc.) however, it's worth remembering- it was just this kind of foray that led to linux being created- only minus the paranoia and plus a little humility and maturity.
( Last edited by vmarks; Jan 10, 2004 at 09:17 PM. )
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2004, 07:11 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
I think this thread belongs in Developer more than Mac OS X - it has plenty to do with this development effort and little to do with OS X.
Actually, he posted it there too.
To by honest, though, I don't see how it belongs in a Macintosh forum at all, since it only runs on x86. If he were developing this little piece of oddware for the Mac, that would be one thing, but it's got nothing to do with OS X or Mac software development.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Also, "databases" was misspelled in the same movie.
Actually, practically every line had at least one spelling or grammatical error in it.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2004, 02:14 PM

I'd like to nominate bettafish for the assclown of the month award. Did you guys see his other thread cussing everyone out? Class act, this gentleman is.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2004, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
I'd like to nominate bettafish for the assclown of the month award. Did you guys see his other thread cussing everyone out? Class act, this gentleman is.
No need, I scared the guy off a few days ago.

"Do I need to draw a diagram for you then to tell you that nerdy 16-17 year olds, fat chicks and old men turn my crank then? Will you understand it then or don't you follow still chris." - Landos Mustache

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 12:27 AM

This is truly hilarious...

He's speaking in a very professional-esque () manner one second, and the next he uses "****" multiple times in one sentence, and then he's back to his professional-esque tone!

It's so great!

Amazing how stupid the younger generation is, these days...they think that by making fake PR names, adding "inc." to their websites, using Flash, and numbering fake software with version numbers, that they'll be taken seriously.

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

redJag
Senior User
Jan 12, 2004, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Amazing how stupid the younger generation is, these days
Surely you knew you'd be called out on this blatant generalization? I am 19, and maybe not the generation you were referring to, but it was still a stupid thing to say. If "billy" were an appropriate example of the future of our world, I would be scared for my life. However, I am not, because "he" is not.
Travis Sanderson

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 01:18 AM

waaaaaaaaahahahahah!

BEST THREAD EVAR! WHOOT!

I just installed NEO OS on a prototype Apple shoe computer....that's right, a computer built in to the tongue of a shoe!

Now, I can use NEO OS when I am on the shitter! WHOOT!
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2004, 04:09 AM

Originally posted by redJag:
Surely you knew you'd be called out on this blatant generalization? I am 19, and maybe not the generation you were referring to, but it was still a stupid thing to say. If "billy" were an appropriate example of the future of our world, I would be scared for my life. However, I am not, because "he" is not.
Maybe I should've mentioned that I'm 17.

I was actually referring to little 12 year olds.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2004, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Maybe I should've mentioned that I'm 17.

I was actually referring to little 12 year olds.
Bah, those stupid freshmen at Hogwarts!
Just kiddin'
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 12, 2004, 08:26 PM

Neo OS is a flash program from what I can see. The graphics are vector, so it's obvious to see. If this were a real OS however, the clock in the upper right hand corner in the screen shots would have changed. {I mean minutes, its exactly the same time in all the shots, unless he froze the system somehow to take those shots}. Just thought I would point that out.

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
Right after being in the scene for things like this back in my windows days heres what i think:
A)Quite clearly its a shell not an OS seen as it runs on top of another OS
B)ITS MADE IN FLASH HAHAHA
C)Horrible design, REALLY horrible, worst design since BABYA SYSTEM
http://teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/bdesktopsm.gif
ahh i talk to that guy who made that, its hilarious
http://teknidermy.com/issue/11/babyafied/
theres some article about the guy cos he spammed every board/site in the shell / customisation scene to buggery, just search google for babya system.
ahh seems hes playing a song a friend of mine made in his crappy mp3 player haha that amuses me no end

C)Agreed.
I have version 12.1 available of Babya System (better layout) to compare with the interface used in the neo os screenshots or review . http://tinyurl.com/2c7b8
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by aafuss:
C)Agreed.
I have version 12.1 available of Babya System (better layout) to compare with the interface used in the neo os screenshots or review . http://tinyurl.com/2c7b8
Why don't you post a screenshot rather than a link to an exe, which is unusable to a large number of us.

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Why don't you post a screenshot rather than a link to an exe, which is unusable to a large number of us.
Are there any sites for free that host images and allow linking to them. I want to post an attachment, as that's the only way i can do, but why can't i?
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

Forum Links
Forum Rules