Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help with ibook

help with ibook
Mosco3089
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2001, 05:17 PM

I have an I book se firewire with mac os 9.1. I was putting music on my rio 500 with itunes and my computer froze. I restarted but when i came to the part where the extensions load a a window pops up saying that an illegal opperation had been used and the only opption is to restart. I can reboot on a cd and everything is still there. I through out some extensions a turned off some extensions but it still doesn't work. Please help!

CyberGreg
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2001, 06:12 PM

OK,

Try the following:

1. Hold down the Command (Apple) + option + P + R keys while you turn on the iBook. This will clear out the PRAM. Keep holding the keys down until you hear the start up tones three times. Let your iBook boot up normally, if you still crash with the error, continue to step 2.

2. Hold down the shift key while you turn on your iBook and keep it down until you see the start up screen say "Extensions off". If you can boot up without errors then go to step 3. If you still get the error, check to make sure your memory DIMM and / or Airport card is properly seated.

3. Restart the iBook and hold down the shift key again until you see the start up screen say "Extensions off". Now hold down the Command (Apple) and the option key until you get to the desktop and a message box should pop-up asking you Do you really want to rebuild the desktop. Click the OK or Yes button. Wait for it to finish. Shut down and restart the iBook. If all is well post back, if you still have problems and you don't have a disk utility like Tech Tool Pro or Norton Utilities or Disk Warrior then I think you should seek other assistance, or wait for somoeone else to reply.

Good Luck, hope things work out.

------------------
Mac's Rule!
http://homepage.mac.com/cybergreg

[This message has been edited by CyberGreg (edited 02-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by CyberGreg (edited 02-06-2001).]
Mac's Rule!

13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 120GB
13.3" 1.83 MacBook, 2GB, 80GB
Mac Mini PVR, 1.66Ghz w/2GB, eyeTV 2.0, 100GB HD and 50" DLP
Mac Mini, 1.83Ghz (before Apple released one) w/2GB, 80GB HD and 20" LCD

Cipher13
Feb 7, 2001, 08:18 AM

I have other ideas but lets see whether that works first.
If the extensions thing doesn't then delete your Finder Preferences and System Preferences.
If not, you'll have to delte System/Finder.
Report back then we'll go into that and other options.

Cipher13

Mosco3089  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 04:52 PM

NOthing works so am goingto reenstall mac os 9.04. But is it bad to go from 9.1 back to 9.04

RDJL27
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2001, 06:06 PM

Don't just do an install, do a CLEAN install press the options button in the installer. That will most likely solve all system related software problems.

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2001, 12:28 PM

Nope, going from 9.1 to 9.0.4 won't hurt it one bit(i've done it) but i would recommend the "Clean Install" suggested by RDJ if you do go with the reinstall option. But, pay attention to anything Cipher has to say...he know's his stuff!

Forum Links
Forum Rules