Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple reportedly looking to add wireless charging to iPhone next year

Apple reportedly looking to add wireless charging to iPhone next year
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Jan 29, 2016, 11:06 AM

Apple could introduce wireless charging to the iPhone by next year, a report claims, though it is suggested it may take on a different form from current solutions. The company is said to be working with US and Asia-based partners on technology to allow for Apple's mobile devices to be charged at a distance from the power source, instead of needing to place the smartphone or tablet on a current-generation wireless charging pad.

Sources of Bloomberg claim that a sticking point holding back the technology is the question of range. Wireless power transfers deteriorate at longer ranges, meaning a device's battery could charge slowly, or potentially not even receive enough power to run the device in the first place. The technology is "still being assessed" by Apple.

Apple already does own patents relating to wireless charging in various ways. One such patent involves a "smart dock" charging pad, which would include its own processor and sensors that would perform various functions depending on the alignment of the device, such as charging and synchronizing data when a phone is placed on it face up, or just charging the phone when face down. There is even the suggestion the charging pad could be built into a notebook or another larger device, which could help with local synchronization.

So far, Apple has been loathe to add wireless charging to its devices. The Apple Watch is an exception, though its induction charging method requires the charger to be attached to the back of the watch.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 29, 2016, 11:23 AM

However it's accomplished, it would be about time. I use a 3rd party dock for charging my phone each morning, and it works well - but let's get with the program and cut the cord already.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2016, 12:00 PM

I find it strange how many people seem to be so eager to cut the cord when it comes to charging (even though most of us do it but twice a day: once in the morning to unplug and once at night to plug in) but are resistant, sometimes belligerently, to cutting the headphone cord (which sees far more plug/unplug use throughout the day).

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2016, 12:40 PM

I used to have bluetooth headphone but no more. Prefer wired version all around (less hassle). As for iPhone wireless charging, I am in.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 29, 2016, 12:48 PM

Wireless charging makes no sense. It uses more energy, not less, to charge over a distance. (Why do you think your wireless modem at home gets so hot? And many people keep them on for the 12 hours a night that they don't even need it.) A cable provides a direct connection with minimal loss.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Jan 29, 2016, 01:27 PM

The act of plugging and unplugging the phone is no big deal for me. Sure, go to that one spot where the inductive charger is located and set your phone down there. Kind of neat, but less efficient.
If you're in a multi person household, you'll need to wait till the other person's phone is charged, and anyone waiting in line...
Of course you could buy another charging station.
I charge my iPhone 6+ about once ever 2-ish days, unless I use one of the more power hungry apps extensively.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 29, 2016, 05:56 PM

I thought wireless charging can do grouping: Having a bunch of iPhone users standing next to a wireless charging station.

Forum Links
Forum Rules