Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacMinute goes bye bye

MacMinute goes bye bye
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 09:41 AM

Not that I read them all that much but another one bites the dust:
Upcoming Changes For MacMinute | MacMinute News

Wonder what happened.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 09:43 AM

Hmm, that's too bad. I enjoyed wandering over there occasionally.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2008, 10:02 AM

Due to reasons that are completely beyond our control, we are neither able to sell nor operate MacMinute.
Wow.

-t

mindwaves
May 22, 2008, 10:08 AM

Wasn't it rush by Misha?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 10:09 AM

Why can't they sell it or let someone else do it? Did they get sued?

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 10:31 AM

MacMinute update from the Flack family
April 24 - 12:20 EDT On behalf of the Flack family, I would like to express our sincere appreciation for all the kind words of sympathy extended to our family, as we mourn the loss of our beloved Stan. We have read many of the comments sent in by Stan's readers and former colleagues alike, and it is heartwarming to realize the profound effect Stan has had on many of your lives. It is certainly a tribute to Stan, and we trust his legacy will live on. Last week was a time of grieving for our family. This week, it is time to deal with the business aspect of things. We would like to thank all of you MacMinute readers for your patience as MacMinute goes through this transition period. It is difficult, and it takes time, but we are working tirelessly to resume publication, as MacMinute now embarks on this new journey. We do appreciate your patience, and we will update our progress. Many requests have been made regarding flowers and donations. We are in the process of setting up an education fund in Stan's name. It is taking a little longer than we anticipated, as we want to have it accessible online for the ease of those wishing to give. This fund will be called the Stan Flack Memorial Education Fund. Stan always believed that a good education was a solid foundation for a successful career. In closing, we would like to thank many of Stan's former colleagues for their kind offer of assistance at this most difficult time. A special thanks to Dennis Sellers, with whom I spoke recently. Dennis worked for Stan from 1995 to 1999, and spoke of fond memories, of hard work, and lots of fun. Also, special thanks to Dave Moser, one of the early MacCentral gang, who stuck with Stan through thick and thin, and was with him since the early stages of his business. He too shared warm memories of those early days. We would also like to extend a warm thanks to Jim Dalrymple for his help and support, and for getting the news of Stan's passing out into the Mac world, when we had other arrangements to attend to. Jim was an old friend of Stan's, who worked with him at the Chronicle Herald Newspaper in Halifax, NS, Canada. Later on, Stan hired Jim to join the rest of the MacCentral gang, making lots of memories himself. I understand that Ben Wilson was another of the gang. After Stan sold his business to Mac Publishing in June of 1999, Dave, Dennis, and Jim all went with him to what is now known as Macworld. Stan went on to create his latest venture, MacMinute, in May 2001. Stan achieved many great things in his life. He had many admirable qualities, but what I admired most was his devotion to his family. He was always there for his family, to offer a helping hand, and unwavering support. He had many friends, but there were none so dear to him as his family. We all love him immensely, and miss him dearly. On Monday, April 14, 2008, the world lost a great soul, but heaven gained a gem! Many thanks! Julie E (Flack) McKenna

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 10:35 AM

Perhaps they had to close up shop because they don't have a return key on their computers.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 10:38 AM

paragraphs ghjkl;'\
we don't have time to stop for gas

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Perhaps they had to close up shop because they don't have a return key on their computers.
HEy ya, **** people dying and **** - must be the return keys!

Here, let me make a quip about an Education Fund being a great idea and teaching people to write in paragraphs being a great start!

I'm sure others will join in on the fun!

(callous jerk)

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 01:42 PM

To be honest, I've not heard of them, but based on the macminute link and residentevil's quote, the author has no idea about document formatting. It made it quite a chore to read the whole missive.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
Wasn't it rush by Misha?
I knew he was a reviewer and mod or admin in the forums, but to be honest, my going to MacMinute became more infrequent in the past year or so.

I didn't even know that Stan Flack had passed away.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
HEy ya, **** people dying and **** - must be the return keys!
Dying and all is sad but it still doesn't answer why others can't continue or at least sell it.

And the admin on MacMinute commented on the return key thing also.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 02:25 PM

Hopefully, some other site (hint, MacNN) can pick up the slack as it was a great site to quickly check out what was happening.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
To be honest, I've not heard of them, but based on the macminute link and residentevil's quote, the author has no idea about document formatting. It made it quite a chore to read the whole missive.
Or maybe, it could have something to do with the fact that the update wasn't written by the author, because the author is no longer alive. Perhaps the family members that wrote that update aren't as good at writing articles on a web page as the author was, because it's not the business they're in. Perhaps these family members are more focused on their loss right now than on nit-picking over the grammatical details of a post that clearly isn't supposed to be professional quality anyway.

God.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2008, 02:31 PM

This sucks.

I've gone to MacMinute ever since our front page 'facelift'.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
.[/i] Perhaps these family members are more focused on their loss right now than on nit-picking over the grammatical details of a post that clearly isn't supposed to be professional quality anyway..
nitpicking over grammatical details, lol. Oh please there's a huge difference about not capitalizing and having one long rambling document that is devoid of any whitespace or paragraphs. While they may not be in the business, they are in the world and should have learned about the enter key at some point.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
nitpicking over grammatical details, lol. Oh please there's a huge difference about not capitalizing and having one long rambling document that is devoid of any whitespace or paragraphs. While they may not be in the business, they are in the world and should have learned about the enter key at some point.
You should talk about grammar and punctuation.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Yeah, but his paragraphs are top-notch!

You should seen him type the week after his mother died - absolutely impeccable, I tell you!

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 03:31 PM

From the site.

I do apologize for not posting with paragraph breaks. Stan had me set up to post on his site, as it was his intention for me to carry on the business, but the editor’s page is not formatted to post in paragraph form, or at least not easily. We would like to thank all of you MacMinute readers for your faithful support of Stan’s website in the past and trust you are able to find the Mac news you seek in a different forum. May God bless each one. On behalf of the Flack family, Julie (Flack) McKenna, Stan’s sister

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 03:43 PM

Paragraph mystery solved!

Now on to why it is shutting down at all...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 03:55 PM

Paragraph mystery solved!

Now on to why it is shutting down at all...
solved? did you even read the link YOU Posted? it was no mystery to anyone who read it.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
solved? did you even read the link YOU Posted? it was no mystery to anyone who read it.
Yes I read it before I even posted the link, that is also why I made the return key crack. I said "solved" because someone felt the need to post it again. Duh.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 04:00 PM

oh, duh. my mistake. duh. and your post about return key was after my quoted post of what went on...so most normal humans would have made the assumption you were talking about the post preceding it.

your posts are so damn super!

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
oh, duh. my mistake. duh. and your post about return key was after my quoted post of what went on...so most normal humans would have made the assumption you were talking about the post preceding it.

your posts are so damn super!
Never-mind the return key.... now shift keys seem to be going missing!

Cold Warrior
May 22, 2008, 04:18 PM

Less personal antics, more about MacMinute.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 05:24 PM

I've always said that my grammar and punctuation is poor at best. My point was that without proper white space formatting it made it difficult to read. I still stand by that assessment, even after we find the cause

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:33 AM

Macminute.com was my first stop for Mac-related news before this whole incident.

Remember As the Apple Turns? It's sad to see Mac-centric sites ceased production.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2008, 02:49 AM

MacMinute was a great resource, thanks for everything!
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 11:48 AM

Clarification from Julie
May 23, 2008 - 11:25 EDT I would like to make a clarification as, evidently, I was not crystal clear with my previous post. I have read many of the comments made online regarding MacMinute, and I would like to clarify a couple of points. Firstly, I did not say that a buyer for the site could not be found. In fact, we have been approached by many with interest in purchasing MacMinute. For reasons known only to Stan’s family, the business cannot be sold at this time. Secondly, some were puzzled that no one has stepped forward with an offer to run the business. Again, several have kindly offered to assist us in this regard, and we are extremely grateful, but that is still not an option. Not only that, WE cannot keep the site running, not because we are not capable, as we are very familiar with Stan’s business, but for other reasons which need not be disclosed. I realize that you all may not understand this decision, but there are many factors that you all are not privy to. Be assured, we have done everything within our power to enable MacMinute to live on, but this is simply not possible. The best we can do is to redirect traffic to another site, so that MacMinute can live on in some way. I will make a post when this arrangement has been made, prior to it being put in place. It will not be for a few days. I have read through the Member’s Lounge comments, and it is quite evident that you have all become “family.” So, from our family to yours, we wish you all the very best, and we trust that you are all able to keep connected in a new forum. Thanks again for your kind words of sympathy to our family. We appreciate it! On behalf of the Flack family, Julie (Flack) McKenna

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 12:03 PM

Clarification or obfuscation? They're leaving behind one hell of a mystery.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 02:09 PM

As we posted earlier, MacMinute cannot continue. That said, we've got a couple of paths that we're finalizing how your up to the minute news needs can be served, as well as what will happen to the forums. Look for an announcement the middle to end of next week for more details. Julie (Flack) McKenna

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2008, 02:42 PM

Hmm. Sad that the dude died and the site with him, but I'd rather they just let it go than come up with some half-assed approach to try and make a few dollars.

I'm sure some site will pick up the slack as there is a market for such a page/portal.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2008, 11:33 PM

Deleted from Bookmarks.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Deleted from Bookmarks.

I felt the same way. Like losing a friend. Was always nice to hit it quickly (had it on the menubar) to see what was up.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2008, 12:20 AM

I felt the same way. Like losing a friend. Was always nice to hit it quickly
Are you talking about a friend or a ****buddy?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 12:32 PM

"More importantly, I feel that Stan is looking down upon us with his blessing. Stan, thank-you for all you have given us—we love you! "

Ya I am sure he is thrilled that you shut down his site without much explanation.

MacMinute Final Post | MacMinute News

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 12:43 PM

For reasons known only to Stan’s family, the business cannot be sold at this time. Secondly, some were puzzled that no one has stepped forward with an offer to run the business. Again, several have kindly offered to assist us in this regard, and we are extremely grateful, but that is still not an option. Not only that, WE cannot keep the site running, not because we are not capable, as we are very familiar with Stan’s business, but for other reasons which need not be disclosed. I realize that you all may not understand this decision, but there are many factors that you all are not privy to.
All this secrecy sh!t really turns me off.

Sounds like there is some fsckery going on.

-t

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2008, 01:29 PM

What a mystery.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 01:51 PM

Why do we have a right to know?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 07:02 PM

Cuz we supported them all these years?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2008, 07:10 PM

Hmm, neither of those redirect sites do it for me at first glance.

*sigh*

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2008, 07:35 PM

They should either shuddup or tell the reason.

These countless posts of "well, we can't tell you, we tried, we did everything, it's outside our control bla bla" are just annoying.

-t

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 03:24 AM

Cuz we supported them all these years?
By looking at a free service?

I take it you bought into some package deal they offered that now entitles you to something?

The site's dead owner's heirs owe you what exactly?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
They should either shuddup or tell the reason.

These countless posts of "well, we can't tell you, we tried, we did everything, it's outside our control bla bla" are just annoying.
I count exactly THREE such posts on MacMinute.

The countless annoying bullshit posts are in THIS thread.

zro
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 09:58 AM

By looking at a free service?

I take it you bought into some package deal they offered that now entitles you to something?

The site's dead owner's heirs owe you what exactly?
You are 100% correct. Looking at his website did support him. Had no one looked, it would have vanished long before he did and this topic would not exist.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 01:00 PM

And his heirs owe you what?

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 01:50 PM

And his heirs owe you what?
Like we said a simple explanation after we support them for years. Why make 3 separate posts saying "we can't say why"?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 01:58 PM

Like we said a simple explanation after we support them for years. Why make 3 separate posts saying "we can't say why"?
Actually, they made several posts saying "this is what's happening right now".

You somehow feel that it's your business budding into whatever private stuff is going on in the background guiding their decisions, and I'm of the opinion that you can go suck it, because the business deal between you and MacMinute lasted for exactly as long as you were reading the site and the ads were displayed on your screen.

Really: It's none of our ****ing business, regardless of what your curiosity makes you feel entitled to.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2008, 02:10 PM

I was curious but to be honest its not like we're dealing with world peace or the fall of humanity. Yet another site closes its doors for some unpublished reason. I'm surprised this thread has continued to be bumped with people complaining about not knowing.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 02:10 PM

It sounds like his family were not web savvy and tried to do the best they could to offer an explanation without going into details. Fair enough. But since this is teh internetz, people want to make a big deal out of it. Mostly the people who need to grow up are the ones QQing about it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules