Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Express can't join wireless network

Airport Express can't join wireless network
abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 16, 2009, 04:25 PM

I am trying to add a second Airport Express to my wireless network. Currently, I have one Airport Express with N downstairs in the living room hooked up to a speaker system. That AEx can connect to our WPA Personal-secured wireless network with no troubles. AirTunes works great with that one.

However, I am sitting in my room trying to get an older model AEx to connect to the wireless network to absolutely no avail. With the AEx turned on, I have held the reset button down until the lights starts blinking rapidly. I am connected to the AEx through Ethernet (Macbook->AEx). ONLY after resetting am I able to see the AEx. After I go through and change the settings, having it "Join a wireless network" and I insert the proper SSID and password, I click update and wait for it to restart. After it boots back up it just goes straight back to the blinking orange light which means it can't connect and even though I am still connected through ethernet to it, it won't show up in Airport Utility.

I have gone through these steps so many times, I just don't know what to do or why this particular Airport Express is giving me such trouble. Anyone have any suggestions?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2009, 03:50 AM

WPA can be considered broken. You should switch to WPA2. I you have some older device that doesn't support WPA2 I'd try swapping that device.

Have you tried disconnecting it from Ethernet before it reboots? If it's configured to be a wifi client an additional Ethernet host could be a problem.

Do you have MAC address filtering enabled? In that case if the Express' address isn't listed on the main wifi router, that would explain why it can't connect.

Forum Links
Forum Rules