Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > AP; Kerry concedes!!!

AP; Kerry concedes!!!
ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 12:09 PM

It is in fact...over. Good for Kerry, good for Dems, good for America!
ebuddy

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2004, 12:13 PM

I think this is a shame. This was a chance to heal the rift over Bush's questionable legitimacy by cementing a fair victory once and for all. There will never be another chance for that. If Kerry has ever been divisive, this is how.

Then again, I can't help but wonder if that's his plan? Does he intend to go out with one last shot, by ensuring that this doubt will never be resolved?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 12:13 PM

Kerry Sr. advisor; @ approximately 10:03am CST, Kerry confirmed concession! You heard it here on MacNN first!!!
ebuddy

djohnson
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:15 PM

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
I think this is a shame. This was a chance to heal the rift over Bush's questionable legitimacy by cementing a fair victory once and for all. There will never be another chance for that. If Kerry has ever been divisive, this is how.

Then again, I can't help but wonder if that's his plan? Does he intend to go out with one last shot, by ensuring that this doubt will never be resolved?
It does cement a fair victory. Apparently, Ohio told the Kerry campaign that there weren't enough potential votes to overcome Bush's margin.

Also, the concession doesn't change the counting process. AFAIK, every vote is still counted. The concession just recognizes the reality that it is moot now. Bush won.

ebuddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 12:16 PM

Kerry felt he did not want to further divide the nation. The phone call was extremely cordial and kind heralding Bush as a "worthy opponent." I'm not sure even Rove could make Kerry and Edwards concede in this manner. Don't be upset by this, remember how important the popular vote is...3.5+ million popular votes is pretty convincing. Even for the most staunchly bitter liberal.
ebuddy

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 12:17 PM

What in the world are you talking about?

davidflas
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:18 PM

****!!!! ****!!!!! goddamn!!!!!! mother****er!! Four more years of that stupid moronic ****ing dumbass rat**** Bush!! ...and that's all I have to say about Kerry's loss
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:19 PM

It's not like the other ballots won't be counted and announced later this week.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 12:22 PM

I wonder if We will hear from Michael Moore saying that Bush "stole" the election again.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:23 PM

I wonder if there's any chance that this place will get any better about gross generalizations about the "other guys." I wonder if "liberal" will remain a dirty word. I wonder if people will stop acting so childishly and debate like adults...

*sigh* probably not. I doubt I'll be reading much here anymore.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 12:30 PM

Don't be upset by this, remember how important the popular vote is...3.5+ million popular votes is pretty convincing. Even for the most staunchly bitter liberal.
That's what I was saying this morning.

Kerry can have another shot at it in four years.

In all fairness to everyone here and everywhere, Kerry wasn't a bad presidential candidate. He had a lot of sound ideas and good plans. I would like to think that Bush will take some cues from the issues that Democrats raised during this campaign as concerns and try to work on those issues.

We need to all unite as a country again. The unity after 9/11 is what we should all have, not civil war.

Kerry will be giving his concession speech at 1:00 PM EST apparently. He will be very gracious and we will all feel bad for him and wish him well.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I wonder if We will hear from Michael Moore saying that Bush "stole" the election again.
He'll either a) drop completely off the radar or b) go further down the spiral of cheeseburger induced madness and create some half-truth story for his next movie. About Bush. Because Moore has a secret crush on Bush.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
That's what I was saying this morning.

Kerry can have another shot at it in four years.

In all fairness to everyone here and everywhere, Kerry wasn't a bad presidential candidate. He had a lot of sound ideas and good plans. I would like to think that Bush will take some cues from the issues that Democrats raised during this campaign as concerns and try to work on those issues.

We need to all unite as a country again. The unity after 9/11 is what we should all have, not civil war.

Kerry will be giving his concession speech at 1:00 PM EST apparently. He will be very gracious and we will all feel bad for him and wish him well.

(not an argument... and I voted Bush)

I think you probably could have gotten my vote if you had a more centered Democrat (think Democratic Schwarzenegger) . Unfortunately, Kerry's voting record painted a VERY liberal history which didn't sit well with me.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
He'll either a) drop completely off the radar or b) go further down the spiral of cheeseburger induced madness and create some half-truth story for his next movie. About Bush. Because Moore has a secret crush on Bush.
I was a major fan of his earlier work... Roger and Me really painted a very interesting picture of "big business"... then with Bowling... I found he kind of spun a few things that I didn't necessarily agree with... but with F911, I feel it was more spin then content (obviously millions disagree).

I think he is already at work on his next great anti-american hit that we will throw money at!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 12:58 PM

Well, Gore conceded...before he sued. I think that's Kerry's mantra, so, it may not be over--well...it is over...but...well...you know.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:00 PM

<reprehensible joke>

Has Edward's wife sung yet?

</reprehensible joke>

That's the joke on local radio. It's terrible, but funny as crap.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:06 PM

Kerry won't sue over it. No way. He has too much pride to do that.

Kerry is not a bad guy. I respected him. I did not agree with his ideals, but Kerry is a good guy deep down.

Honestly, he came VERY close to winning. If you think about it, 136, 000 votes is nothing. It could easily have gone the other way in Ohio. If more people had gone to vote then it would be President Kerry and not President Bush. The Dems just didn't "Rock the Vote" as they like to say.

They tried, but no cigar.

And, in fairness to Republicans, we all got out to vote because we were worried by Kerry.

Kerry did do one thing: He managed to unite the populace with the urgency to vote, that voting is not just a right, it is a privilege that we all should avail ourselves of as proud FREE Americans. He should always be proud of that. The voter turnout was historic.

UR-20
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 01:15 PM

Today is a great victory for fear and paranoia.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by GORDYmac:
Well, Gore conceded...before he sued. I think that's Kerry's mantra, so, it may not be over--well...it is over...but...well...you know.
Bush is the one who "sued," not Gore. Bush has won this one cleanly, but the 2000 election was still a travesty. Anyone who doesn't recognize that is not being honest.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I was a major fan of his earlier work... Roger and Me really painted a very interesting picture of "big business"... then with Bowling... I found he kind of spun a few things that I didn't necessarily agree with... but with F911, I feel it was more spin then content (obviously millions disagree).

I think he is already at work on his next great anti-american hit that we will throw money at!
Agreed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386032/
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:31 PM

Congratulations, President Bush.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by UR-20:
Today is a great victory for fear and paranoia.
It would have been, regardless of who had won.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Nov 3, 2004, 01:40 PM

Nah, he'll just make some stupid "documentary" full of lies, distortions, and propaganda that slams Bush... and people on the extreme left, in Canada, Europe, etc. will eat it up, and call the man a visionary. Lather, rinse, repeat. It gets old.

As Camille Paglia stated, the absolutely outrageous actions, distortions, and lies told by Moore and MoveOn.org are very likely what entrenched, galvanized, and motivated the electorate.

To Democrats: these buffoons are your own worst enemies. Cast them out, or risk losing yet more elections.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 01:47 PM

Congratulations Mr. Bush.

I won't say I'm happy, but Bush clearly won.

The Dems only have one person to blame, themselves, the couldn't come up with a real contender, I will say I am actually surprised that Kerry did as well as he did. The Republicans did a great job at smearing him and it stuck.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2004, 01:48 PM

Bush has the potential to please me with his second term, but he needs to move more towards the center. That is where, I think, his second term will either fly or fail according to the Democrats.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by mikellanes:
Congratulations Mr. Bush.

I won't say I'm happy, but Bush clearly won.

The Dems only have one person to blame, themselves, the couldn't come up with a real contender, I will say I am actually surprised that Kerry did as well as he did. The Republicans did a great job at smearing him and it stuck.
Smearing? How? If showing his record and his anti war activities is smearing then you are really reaching.

It's interesting to see that CNN still hasn't give President Bush the win in Ohio yet. IN the articles on their side they say it's "too close to call." I think they are still in shell shock
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:53 PM

As I have said all along, Mr. Kerry was hurt and hindered by Michael Moore. Michael Moore should have kept his big piehole shut and focused on something else to film. His next flick, by the way, is Sicko, a commentary on the American healthcare system. I'm sure he'll use the footage to distort Bush and the government once again.

"Mr. Michael Moore, congratulations! You have helped hand Mr. John Kerry his walking papers this election. The American public did not believe your lies and distortions this time around and your malevolence was transparent."

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 01:56 PM

typhoon: CNN.com says in bold: BUSH WINS

I think it's clear to all. Maybe not to Dan Rather and his cronies at CBS, but to everyone else.

Now, it's 1:00 PM EST and it is time for John Kerry to concede. Let's all tune in, shall we? Wish the man well in your hearts, also.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 02:00 PM

Smearing? How? If showing his record and his anti war activities is smearing then you are really reaching.
How can you call the campaign against his wife anything but smearing? Look, lets just get past this. Both sides engaged in it, but there's no reason to continue now.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 02:01 PM

Just wait to you see what Bush will do now that he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 02:03 PM

Well, now they're saying it (Kerry's concession speech) is going to be another hour because the stage for the reporters to stand on needs to be built.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Nov 3, 2004, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Just wait to you see what Bush will do now that he doesn't have to worry about being re-elected.
Oh, we will.

And you will, too.

After all, you have no say in this at all.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2004, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:

Keep the flame baiting to a minimum.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Turias
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by Lateralus:
Bush has the potential to please me with his second term, but he needs to move more towards the center. That is where, I think, his second term will either fly or fail according to the Democrats.
What scares me is that he now has no reason to move toward the center. It's not like he has to worry about pleasing the populace so that he can win another term. I think we are going to see him move even further to the right than he was before.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 3, 2004, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
What scares me is that he now has no reason to move toward the center. It's not like he has to worry about pleasing the populace so that he can win another term. I think we are going to see him move even further to the right than he was before.
The way I see it, the prospect of being able to avoid leaving a legacy of division is what has the potential to make him move more towards the center. I don't know if it is enough though.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
Oh, we will.

And you will, too.

And I am soooo happy about that fact
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Nov 3, 2004, 02:22 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Nov 7, 2004 at 01:37 PM. )

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus

I don't think this is going to happen for a long while, and I don't think it has all that much to do with the outcome of this election.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mikellanes
Mac Elite

[B]Smearing? How? If showing his record and his anti war activities is smearing then you are really reaching.
It was smearing, some true some stretched perhaps, but smearing none the less, good or bad thats just how it goes there was smearing on both sides.

finboy
Nov 3, 2004, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:

Also, the concession doesn't change the counting process.
I think that's the key. The counts will still take place, so we'll know what really happened. And I'm sure the court challenges (maybe for local/state races) will take place too.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 02:38 PM

Just here to congratulate our President on his victory.

Four more years!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 02:49 PM

1:48 PM EST

Kerry is getting ready to concede.

All U.S. channels.

deedar
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by davidflas:
****!!!! ****!!!!! goddamn!!!!!! mother****er!! Four more years of that stupid moronic ****ing dumbass rat**** Bush!! ...and that's all I have to say about Kerry's loss
Upset? In any event, well put!!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 03:11 PM

Watching Kerry right now in his concession speech, I am very moved by his warmth and graciousness.

If I had seen one ounce of this personality, I might very well have voted for him. He is coming across as a feel-good regular person and it is obvious that he really cares about people and the country.

mo
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 3, 2004, 03:13 PM

Watching Kerry right now in his concession speech, I am very moved by his warmth and graciousness.

If I had seen one ounce of this personality, I might very well have voted for him. He is coming across as a feel-good regular person and it is obvious that he really cares about people and the country.
Well, I wish I could see that. I have to use RealPlayer here, and it sucks. It looks like Max Headroom is giving a speech, as far as I can tell.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 03:26 PM

One of the most gracious speeches I have ever heard, let alone the fact that it is a concession speech. Very forgiving, very gracious, unifying, and one of the most elegant and meaningful speeches that I have ever heard.

A lot of Democrats are very sad today.

Next up, George W. Bush.

tavilach
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 03:31 PM

http://www.johntitor.com
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 3, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
Just here to congratulate our President on his victory.

Four more years!
four more years of what? suffering?

andi*pandi
Nov 3, 2004, 03:37 PM

I saw this in him all along.

Agreed tho, decent speech.

Forum Links
Forum Rules