Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > GUI Customization for dummies

GUI Customization for dummies
chatelp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2005, 11:35 PM

Hi,

i've just made a little booklet to help newcomers to the MacOS GUI Customization scene. It's 23 pages long with full color pictures and cover most of the themeing subjects ranging from icon and desktop swapping to ShapeShifter themes.
It's a very anticipated release, more of a draft: expect many writing errors and no exhaustivity. But i need your feedback. So if you want to help (so that even your grandma can change the way she use her mac) please download the pdf and submit reviews and suggestions to my homepage or send me a mail

03/10/05 UPDATE:
second draft, now a 32 pages reading !
List of additions:
  • added "TransparentDock" review
  • added instructions to Geektool configuration
  • links added to different chapters (iPulse themes)
  • new "Change the startup/login screen" section
  • new "Changing mouse's cursor" section
  • new "Create your own themes" section
  • new "iTunes cover art / iTunes controller" section (sofa, Synergy and iTunes Companion)
  • new diagrams
03/12/05 UPDATE:
updated the third section now named: "Creating new interface elements" with a new tutorial by digitaljames entitled "Modding themes" wich will give you indications on how to customize an existing theme using shapeshifter, themepark and photoshop (The Gimp should do the work too).
( Last edited by chatelp; Mar 12, 2005 at 01:52 PM. )

sayonaraML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 12:01 AM

I know that not a lot of this is going to be new to many of the regulars here but this past week I've had two friends take the plung and get Macs. This is the sort of publication that will give them some ideas and get them started on building the desktop of their dreams so thanks!

chatelp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by sayonaraML:
I know that not a lot of this is going to be new to many of the regulars here but this past week I've had two friends take the plung and get Macs. This is the sort of publication that will give them some ideas and get them started on building the desktop of their dreams so thanks!
thanks !
i totally agree with you, nothing new here for the regulars, it's more a "give it to your friend" concept :-)

Pierre

Komisar
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 12:15 AM

Great work dude... you should post that at macthemes

chatelp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by Komisar:
Great work dude... you should post that at macthemes
already did it :-)
but, as i was saying, it's still a work-in-progress.
If anyone here want to talk about a software he is using or a place where he usually get his themes/icons i'd be glad to hear from him !

Komisar
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2005, 12:27 AM

I'm down with helping out... I'll get in touch with you when i have some spare time

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2005, 02:54 AM

Great initiative, keep it up.
One thing though, the title concept "(��) for Dummies" already exists, and you wouldn't be the first to get into trouble copying the idea. Perhaps you can come up with something original.

chatelp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
Great initiative, keep it up.
One thing though, the title concept "(��) for Dummies" already exists, and you wouldn't be the first to get into trouble copying the idea. Perhaps you can come up with something original.
... well, since it's a totaly non-commercial, distribution limited, digital only book i thought that i would be "trouble"free. Also, the cover is obviously a mokup. But perhaps you'r right. Now i need to find some alternatives :-)
Maybe we can launch the "(... )for Newbies" concept !

Pierre

jase71
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 10:06 AM

Fantastic!

I've had my new Mini less than a week, and this is exactly the sort of thing I've been hoping to run across.

Hopefully this will keep me from asking all kinds of stupid questions, repeating all the commonly asked ones, and just generally looking like an idiot.

Thanks!

the_shadow
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks chatelp for comming up with something like this, I-like jase71-got my mini about a week ago and started the modding and themeing of it, but was blind on how to do it. I asked a couple of questions in the Aqua-Soft forum and was treated like a pest (some ppl know a few things with computers and they start feeling like know-it-alls).

Anyway, maybe--when it is complete--you can sell the idea to IDG for publishing this book.
The Shadow Knows...

Tetsuo
Mar 9, 2005, 08:21 PM

This is awesome, thanks

chatelp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2005, 11:59 PM

i've just released the first update, check out the first post for new URL and list of modifications.

Enjoy!

gruneeitelkeit
Mar 10, 2005, 04:56 AM

I really respect what you are doing here. I just wish I could have seen this when i switched over to a mac. Had to learn the hard way, suppose it has its advantages though. You are doing new customizers a huge favor though. Keep up the good work.

chatelp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 01:55 PM

the second (minor) update has been released!
Please refer to the first post of this thread...

Coming next: an icon creation tutorial

Pierre

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by chatelp:
the second (minor) update has been released!
Please refer to the first post of this thread...
Coming next: an icon creation tutorial
Pierre
Chapeau Pierre ! Great initiative and impressive job. Keep it up

Forum Links
Forum Rules