Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Moving Hard Drives From G4 to G5

Moving Hard Drives From G4 to G5
Jansar
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 01:43 PM

I'm just wondering if there's a problem if I move a couple of hard drives (which I will attach with my Sonnet ATA/133 PCI card) from my current G4 MDD to a new G5. I'm planning to move all of my files/sounds/movies/etc, and I was wondering if they will be okay, not erased, etc. Thanks.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

sith33
Sep 8, 2004, 01:55 PM

They won't work.

Your G4 uses normal IDE drives, with the ribbon connectors. The G5 uses Serial ATA drives, which is a different interface, different cable, etc.

Your best bet is to buy some cheap firewire cases and attach the drives that way. Shouldn't be too expensive...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 8, 2004, 03:23 PM

Despite having the ATA card, you can't use them internally: the ribbons would be difficult to route, and there aren't any power connectors for non-SATA drives.

I agree, go FireWire.

Or just use Target Disk Mode to copy the files.

tooki

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
I'm just wondering if there's a problem if I move a couple of hard drives (which I will attach with my Sonnet ATA/133 PCI card) from my current G4 MDD to a new G5. I'm planning to move all of my files/sounds/movies/etc, and I was wondering if they will be okay, not erased, etc. Thanks.
Actually, I think the previous poster missed the bit about the Sonnet card. Because the card plugs directly into the motherboard via PCI and provides its own dual ATA bus, it should work with little or no problem (I think). Your biggest issue will probably be finding enough connectors to the power supply for each of your drives (still waiting on my G5 order, so no idea how many spare connections there are inside yet). Might want to call Sonnet and see what they say.

[edit - somebody posted between this message and the 'previous post' I was referring to]

bbxstudio
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Despite having the ATA card, you can't use them internally: the ribbons would be difficult to route, and there aren't any power connectors for non-SATA drives.
D'oh. Had no idea SATA and ATA used different power cabling connectors (seems to me that ATA power connectors are the same as SCSI were, seems odd that they would change something that has been standard for so long).

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 03:53 PM

I have two Western Digital Caviar 250GB drives...

I'm thinking this should work.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...02F-01&cat=CAS
Go Dogcows!

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2004, 01:44 AM

I have two Western Digital Caviar 250GB drives...

I'm thinking this should work.

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...02F-01&cat=CAS
Wow, that looks pretty good, but what about the noise? I just traded up from an old school twin gig G4 to a dual 1.8 G5, and let me tell you, the G5 is as silent as the grave. I would hate to have a roaring external drive near by. Any idea how quiet this case is?

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2004, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by AC Rempt:
I just traded up from an old school twin gig G4 to a dual 1.8 G5
yeah... try me... g4 400 sawtooth!!! I want your old mac!

Zach

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2004, 12:15 PM

A quick question, though...

I went to the website, and they say that the card is "compatible with Power Mac G5." Does this mean anything? I'm wondering about the power cabling though.
Go Dogcows!

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 12:19 PM

That means it uses 3.3 volts. Some cards use 5, and they aren't supported. The power connecters will still be an issue.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 13, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by bbxstudio:
D'oh. Had no idea SATA and ATA used different power cabling connectors (seems to me that ATA power connectors are the same as SCSI were, seems odd that they would change something that has been standard for so long).
Yes, but those old Molex connectors needed to be dismissed years ago. The new connectors don't need Hulk Hogan strength to unplug. This change is long overdue.

tooki

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
Yes, but those old Molex connectors needed to be dismissed years ago. The new connectors don't need Hulk Hogan strength to unplug. This change is long overdue.

tooki
sturdy fingernails, my good sir. just enough to show a little white is good.

oh, yeah, and lots of cussing.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 07:45 PM

Keep in mind that if you're a video editor (1) renders are very slow with Firewire400 and (ironically) Firewire 800 on the G5s is, for some incomprehensible reason, slower than Firewire 800 on the last G4 duallie.

Either use the G4 as your "Enclosure" for those drives and access them via gigabit ethernet, or buy a Sonnet (or other) Firewire 800 card for the G5 and compatible enclosures for the drives...

Good luck to you. Good luck to all of us.

cal6n
Sep 13, 2004, 08:16 PM

What you're looking for is here:

http://www.g5drivebracket.com/

I've got one set up in my G5LC with 2 x 160 Gb maxtors from my G4 hooked up with a sonnet tempo trio. It all works just fine!
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2004, 01:23 AM

Originally posted by cal6n:
What you're looking for is here:

http://www.g5drivebracket.com/

I've got one set up in my G5LC with 2 x 160 Gb maxtors from my G4 hooked up with a sonnet tempo trio. It all works just fine!
Looks awesome, but a pain to install as well. I read the instruction manual. Although I don't know where I can find a Y cable, I notice that the power cable from the optical drive can be used to power the hard drives. Cool.
Go Dogcows!

cal6n
Sep 14, 2004, 04:57 AM

Looks awesome, but a pain to install as well. I read the instruction manual.
It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

Although I don't know where I can find a Y cable, I notice that the power cable from the optical drive can be used to power the hard drives. Cool.
THe "Y" molex adapters are available from any computer component shop.
G5LC, 6 GB 1.07 TB 6800 GT & 30" (Workhorse)
1.4 GHz Cube 512 MB 60 GB (headless folding)
15" 1.67 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 100 GB (VJ rig 1 & Uni)
15" 1 GHz Ali G4 PB, 1.5 GB 60 GB (VJ rig 2)
G4 800 MHz Ti PB, 512 MB 60 GB (Lounge)

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 15, 2004, 07:53 PM

If you want to just migrate data over to the new disk, unplug the optical drive and plug your old ATA drive into the now-vacant spot.

As there's nothing else on that bus, you probably won't have to fussa round with jumpers.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2004, 09:59 AM

For maximum performance on external drives, I'd consider a PCI FireWire 800 card (faster than the G5's built-in FW800) and a couple of good FireWire 800, Oxford 922-based drive enclosures. The G5's built-n FireWire 800 bus doesn't perform as well according to tests.

Forum Links
Forum Rules