Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Sports™

Sports™ (Page 2)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2014, 06:45 PM

You honestly think him an asshole because of that? Meh. Seems to me you're easily offended.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 07:17 PM

He has disrespect for the game. I can cite a ton of examples. He has a mouth that gets him into trouble. And what if the Seahawks lose the Super Bowl? Does the CB for the Broncos get to talk smack about Sherman *under Sherman's own rules*?

It's disrespectful for the people that get out there and bust their ass more than any of us will ever know.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2014, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You can be an obnoxious asshole prick so long as you're #1?
No sh!t, Sherlock, we're talking about US professional sports.

-t

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2014, 03:30 PM

get off my lawn
Fixed.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2014, 04:05 PM

I'm not sure how people can defend that loudmouth d-bag, not to say Crabtree is the model of sportsmanship, but Sherman's taunts go beyond the realm of tolerability (the choking gesture, does he think he's still in HS?). Another fine being handed down from the NFL will make him take notice, I'm sure. Way to steal the focus away from your team's actual achievements, punk. I'm sure they love you for that.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2014, 04:21 PM

Sherman's Dre audio commercial is getting big play on YT and TV.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2014, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I'm not sure how people can defend that loudmouth d-bag, not to say Crabtree is the model of sportsmanship, but Sherman's taunts go beyond the realm of tolerability (the choking gesture, does he think he's still in HS?). Another fine being handed down from the NFL will make him take notice, I'm sure. Way to steal the focus away from your team's actual achievements, punk. I'm sure they love you for that.

It's unfortunate because I think Russel Wilson is just about one of the most genuinely nice players in the NFL right now, and I agree, Sherman's rant brought the focus on himself only when as we all know football is pretty much the ultimate team sport.

I'm sure plenty of undecided fans switched to rooting for Denver after that display. Me? I'm petty and I want manning to lose, hah.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2014, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's unfortunate because I think Russel Wilson is just about one of the most genuinely nice players in the NFL right now, and I agree, Sherman's rant brought the focus on himself only when as we all know football is pretty much the ultimate team sport.

I'm sure plenty of undecided fans switched to rooting for Denver after that display. Me? I'm petty and I want manning to lose, hah.
Why the Manning hate? Wouldn't you rather see him win and retire? He's just going to stick around until he either; gets another ring, or he can't throw a football anymore.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2014, 06:11 PM

I have a great deal of respect for Manning, I'm just sour that the AFC Championship was the record-shattering Broncos vs the held-together-with-duct-tape Patriots. I'd love to see a proper matchup of both QBs with strong teams in a battle royale for the ages. If Manning gets his ring this year he'll probably retire and I'll never get sweet revenge.

I picked Denver to win a while back and I see no reason to change my tune now. I rooted against the Ravens last year because I can't f**king stand Ray Lewis, but this year I'm rooting for the Seahawks mainly because they are underdogs and I like their young QB. Manning is a legend, and it pains me (in more ways than one) that his far less competent little brother somehow has more rings than he does.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2014, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Fixed.
Oh, look, someone who approves of violence and anger.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2014, 06:24 PM

Neither is "better" than the other, overall. Peyton has the better tactical mind, while Brady has better instincts. It's a wash between them, the Marino and Montana of their generation (except that Manning has done Marino one better with rings), except each is marginally better than their predecessors. I relish every game I get to see Manning play (yes, already have my SB tix), because I know the NFL will probably never see his like again, Brady either.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2014, 09:54 PM

Are...you...srs? We talkin about pro football here?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2014, 11:52 PM

His words, much violence, so anger.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2014, 01:29 AM

Y! SPORTS

HIs apology.

I've been a football fan my entire life. I'm not ignorant to trash talk but that was just over the line. This isn't WWF.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2014, 09:01 AM

It was a bit outrageous, it was inappropriate, and he was right to apologize and immediately did so.

You seem to be willfully ignoring context. You disapprove of violence, yet have been a football fan your entire life - a sport that celebrates violence more than almost any other professional sport? You disapprove of anger, yet ignore that these guys have to completely fill themselves with mad rage every game day in order to be good at their job?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2014, 01:18 PM

No, this isn't hockey, or even rugby, there are expectations of behavior, both on and off the field. The problem is, he's a successful player on one of the best teams, so many people are giving him another pass. IMO, the more that you succeed, the more that should be expected of you, in terms of how you present yourself, and your ambassadorship for the game and especially your team. He only apologized because his club came down on him like 10 tons of bricks, and they should have, because his unsportsmanlike behavior overshadowed the great things they had accomplished. The fines from the NFL and the Seahawks organization haven't rolled in yet, expect those to be huge, since he isn't a first offender.

It's not about some twit being a great cornerback, and them claiming to be "the greatest" is expected (see Deion Sanders), but when you cross the line to openly abusing and taunting other players on the field, or to the media, you're in the wrong (that goes for Crabtree, as well). Every time. Behave like a man, not some chump, like my old coach was fond of saying, "act like you've done this before".
- Thomas Paine

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2014, 02:09 PM

You're right, it's not hockey or rugby. And that's a good thing, because those sports aren't nearly as entertaining. Sherman's antics are entertaining. If you're looking for high class, might I suggest figure skating? Football is (and should be) a modern-day gladiatorial arena. Are you not entertained?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
You're right, it's not hockey or rugby. And that's a good thing, because those sports aren't nearly as entertaining. Sherman's antics are entertaining. If you're looking for high class, might I suggest figure skating? Football is (and should be) a modern-day gladiatorial arena. Are you not entertained?
Figure skating? Yeah, there's no drama in that.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2014, 10:01 AM

No, this isn't hockey, or even rugby, there are expectations of behavior, both on and off the field.
I guess you are not familiar with either of those sports, but both hockey and rugby have very high standards of behaviour both on and off the "field". In many respects I would suggest those standards are generally higher than football standards. To those not knowledgeable about hockey, fighting in particular may look like complete anarchy – but it is almost always a well-orchestrated, highly codified dance.

The problem is, he's a successful player on one of the best teams, so many people are giving him another pass. IMO, the more that you succeed, the more that should be expected of you, in terms of how you present yourself, and your ambassadorship for the game and especially your team.
It's not about some twit being a great cornerback, and them claiming to be "the greatest" is expected (see Deion Sanders), but when you cross the line to openly abusing and taunting other players on the field, or to the media, you're in the wrong (that goes for Crabtree, as well). Every time. Behave like a man, not some chump, like my old coach was fond of saying, "act like you've done this before".
I don't disagree, but at the end of the day your vision would give us a football army of gentlemen robots; gracious, well-mannered, citizens, 90% of which are being completely at odds with the person they have to become for at least four quarters every week (or twice a week, if Evil Goodall would have his way). Sherman is demonstrably intelligent, hard-working, dedicated, articulate, and a student of the game - oh, and also a complete ball of maniac on the field, because that is what he has to become in order to be the player that he is. Not every pro athlete has to become an animal like that; but a large percentage do, and I would suggest that a football has a particularly large percentage in comparison to other sports. (Possibly because players/teams are so isolated, hidden away behind their armour and distant from the fans. Kevin Garnett, for example, is famous for being an extreme outlier of an emotional headcase in basketball, but he would be par for the course on a football team.)

This was a completely unfiltered response from a guy who had made an epic, season-winning play mere seconds beforehand. Was it over the top? Yes. Was it too much? Sure. It was pretty damn raw, and it was ugly, but it was also real, and a small window into what a player like Sherman is actually like on the field.

And yet, everyone would rather that these guys be courteous and well-heeled while on the field. (I should note that if the interview had been conducted a day later, Andrews would probably have gotten a thoughtful and articulate response.) I don't get it, and it's completely at odds with what we demand from the same players after the snap.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2014, 02:00 PM

Yes, they should be professional on the field. That's why Sherman got an unsportsmanlike conduct flag.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2014, 07:30 PM

Yes, they should be professional on the field. That's why Sherman got an unsportsmanlike conduct flag.
He specifically got the flag for the choking gesture, a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty the NFL will flag every time

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2014, 07:35 PM

I'm waiting to see what the NFL hands down in fines, it'll be interesting to see how they officially respond, right now they're still weighing the impact. One thing is sure however, ol' Sherm's teammates and coach aren't happy with him.
- Thomas Paine

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2014, 10:15 PM

8 grand. Chump change.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2014, 03:14 AM

We're in NJ. *cough* *wheeze* Yow, I'm excited, my first time at a Super Bowl.
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2014, 03:45 AM

*wave*

The air here isn't THAT bad.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2014, 04:44 AM

*wave*

The air here isn't THAT bad.
Nah, could be worse, it could be NYC air. We would be staying in NY, but **** NY (neither I or my tourism dollars are welcome there). We're at the Sheraton in Parsippany, the closest thing we could find to the stadium that had vacancies. It's dark and a little medieval, I like it.
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2014, 05:10 AM

Ah, yes. I worked 1/2 mile from there.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2014, 04:08 PM

After all the endless discussion about a cold-weather SB it turns out to be quite mild on the East Coast today. Little to no wind and fairly warm....Peyton is getting his ring today folks.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2014, 04:46 PM

No saying it was their only hope, but Seattle's best hope was for cold, nasty weather. That's not happening here, aside from some scattered light rain, which they say is moving out.
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2014, 07:37 PM

Or maybe the first snap of the game will result in a safety against Denver... Haha, weird start.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2014, 08:16 PM

Oof, Denver is playing like garbage right now. If it wasn't for their run defense they'd be losing by 16 at this point.

Edit: 2 INTs for Peyton already, Seahawks utterly dominating on all sides of the ball.
( Last edited by sek929; Feb 2, 2014 at 08:43 PM. )

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2014, 09:42 PM

29-0, Denver is cooked, pretty embarrassing showing.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2014, 12:25 AM

Already back, well that game sucked balls. Not because I'm a big Denver fan (I am) but because it was so incredibly boring. Also, Seattle fans were real assholes, spitting and throwing food on people in orange. There's no excuse for that type of behavior, quite a few were kicked out of the game by security. I hope they enjoy their long trip back home without being able to see their team win or accept the trophy, serves them right. Hah!

We did sit 6 or so seats away from Hugh Jackman (for part of it). We all gave up watching the game with several minutes left in the first half and sang some show tunes. He signed my wife's program too, so that was cool.
- Thomas Paine

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2014, 02:17 AM

Well I hope you enjoyed the whole Superbowl atmosphere because that wasn't much of a football game to watch. Like I said in my very first post the Seahawks are the most brutally efficient pass defense around. They pressured the living hell out of Manning and clobbered the receivers. All Russell Wilson and company really had to do was not turn the ball over, and they didn't.

What happened cannot be understated. The Seahawks held the highest scoring NFL team in history to what was, in essence, a total shutout in the Superbowl. This team is going to be scary to play for the foreseeable future.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2014, 10:50 AM

It was rather dull. Somehow that did help make it less confusing than the last one.

I honestly don't know why you bother with the parts that you claim qualify as 'sport'. Just call it TV Commercial Day and be done with it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2014, 10:55 AM

Give it some time. We gotta shed the old traditions.

-t

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2014, 01:42 PM

That had to be the biggest upset in Super Bowl history: not that the Seahawks won, but that they utterly dominated, utterly shut down the greatest offense in NFL history. Not a single person expected the Broncos to not score like they did.

The score was lopsided, but Seattle kept making plays. I enjoyed that beatdown better than 2000 Ravens and 2002 Buccaneers

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2014, 04:24 PM

The Seahawks didn't so much dominate (they did) as Denver (and Manning) fell apart. I can't help but think there was something going on with Peyton mentally, he was extremely distracted and unfocused (so was his O-line). It looked like someone trying to play after they'd heard the worst news in their life. It was very unsatisfying, was looking forward to seeing Denver in their prime, or close to it.

Though my heart was with Denver to win, my wallet was with Seattle. So despite my disappointment in one area, there's consolation in another. Heh.
- Thomas Paine

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2014, 05:52 PM

Well I hope you enjoyed the whole Superbowl atmosphere because that wasn't much of a football game to watch. Like I said in my very first post the Seahawks are the most brutally efficient pass defense around. They pressured the living hell out of Manning and clobbered the receivers. All Russell Wilson and company really had to do was not turn the ball over, and they didn't.

What happened cannot be understated. The Seahawks held the highest scoring NFL team in history to what was, in essence, a total shutout in the Superbowl. This team is going to be scary to play for the foreseeable future.
Not necessarily. The Pats had their year. They didn't dominate like everyone expected them to. Things change and it's a long 9 months to next season.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2014, 05:53 PM

The Seahawks didn't so much dominate (they did) as Denver (and Manning) fell apart. I can't help but think there was something going on with Peyton mentally, he was extremely distracted and unfocused (so was his O-line). It looked like someone trying to play after they'd heard the worst news in their life. It was very unsatisfying, was looking forward to seeing Denver in their prime, or close to it.

Though my heart was with Denver to win, my wallet was with Seattle. So despite my disappointment in one area, there's consolation in another. Heh.
This. Something happened to the Broncos. I don't know what. They weren't playing like the team they're supposed to be. I said in the 2nd quarter that they're playing like it's week 1.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2014, 07:24 PM

Not necessarily. The Pats had their year. They didn't dominate like everyone expected them to. Things change and it's a long 9 months to next season.
The Pats lost 17-14 thanks to a wild helmet catch and a hot Eli Manning, the Broncos lost by 35 points in an utter implosion. Both teams should have won, one team embarrassed itself a lot more.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2014, 10:24 AM

I assume he was referencing your prediction of coming years - Pats never again dominated like that season, although many expected them to. The Seahawks have a great young core, but you never know.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2014, 07:05 PM

Yeah I might have misunderstood his point, but Seattle is so damn young and their defense is so damn good. I'd be very surprised if they didn't manage another title (or two) in the next few years. Everyone loves to point to Brady's 3 rings when talking about greatness but to be fair the Patriots dynasty was built on outstanding defense for their SB runs, not offense. The whole AFC should be having a collective migraine as to how they plan on beating any one of the top 3 NFC teams in a SB.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2014, 01:04 AM

Yeah I might have misunderstood his point, but Seattle is so damn young and their defense is so damn good. I'd be very surprised if they didn't manage another title (or two) in the next few years. Everyone loves to point to Brady's 3 rings when talking about greatness but to be fair the Patriots dynasty was built on outstanding defense for their SB runs, not offense. The whole AFC should be having a collective migraine as to how they plan on beating any one of the top 3 NFC teams in a SB.
AFC North.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2014, 01:43 PM

Football!

Can a mod change the title to reflect out current year please?

Week 1 out of the way, here's some thoughts...

Didn't watch the Pats get slapped around by the Dolphins yesterday, was enjoying the remaining beach days we have left. From what I saw the new improved™ defense was more or less the same as the past 5 years and Brady just doesn't look sharp anymore, especially under pressure which his O line did very little to help out with. Miami looks good, not great, but they certainly have what it takes to finally dethrone the AFC East placeholders and lose in the playoffs. Bills pulled off a nice upset and the Jets celebrated winning against one of the worst teams in the NFL like it was the superbowl.

Denver looks scary good again, especially their new additions on defense, and Peyton made several jaw-droppingly good throws last night. Crap, here's the AFC champs again. Seattle stomped Green Bay, and all I have to say is Aaron Rodgers needs an offensive line so badly it's not even funny.

In other news the interior video of that scumbag Ray Rice beating the living crap out of his wife finally surfaced, and now Goodell and the entire Raven fanbase looks like massive assholes. Even getting banned from the NFL is a joke, Rice deserves to go to jail for what he did, despicable. I know not all Ravens fans stood by Rice, but he got a standing O at practice right after the incident and that sickens me.

akent35
Banned
Sep 8, 2014, 02:05 PM

I previously started a thread about the Seahawks, and I'll just (kind of) repeat what I stated before. They played like they have not missed a beat! I actually thought the game would be quite a bit closer, given how good of a team Green Bay was touted to be. But, that Hawk defense is just plain awesome! (It was also a "follow up" to the "Fail Marty" Monday Night Game a few years ago).

I see the Hawks being able to win their next two games, this coming Sunday at San Diego, and the following Sunday in Seattle, and a Super Bowl rematch with the Broncos. But, I actually do not like it that their bye week (after the Bronco game) comes so early in the season. It would be better if that was after the 7th, 8th, or 9th game.

There is one huge hole the team has, though: if (god forbid!) Russell Wilson goes down, our backup QB, Tarvaris Jackson, is not very good, and such an event could kill their season. So far, Wilson has been clever about avoiding serious injury (along with throwing very, very few interceptions). We'll see how it goes.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2014, 02:15 PM

That can be said for any team that has a good QB. Most teams don't even have a good starting QB, Imagine how the Browns felt last season with their revolving set of QBs.

That said, mobile QBs are ticking time-bombs as far as injuries are concerned.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2014, 02:27 PM

They terminated Rice's contract.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2014, 02:46 PM

Figured that wasn't far behind, but call me crazy I think dragging your unconscious wife like a caveman was probably enough to warrant that in the first place.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 8, 2014, 02:49 PM

…and that's assuming the League and Team didn't have access to this video which Godell previously claimed he had seen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules