Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I don't like the Titanium PowerBooks.

I don't like the Titanium PowerBooks.
Sam Venning
Jul 14, 2003, 05:35 AM

I think the Titanium series PowerBooks is terrible.

1. The PowerBook G3 was much, MUCH more robust. The PB G3 can "absorb" knocks and bumps that will destroy a Titanium PowerBook.

2. The Titanium PowerBooks overheat. We have several Titanium PB G4s at work that play up when they get hot.

3. Airport reception is not good.

I am very, VERY disappointed with the Titanium PowerBook and I certainly wouldn't fork out that much money to buy one for myself. I�m responsible for computer purchases at our company (we have 15 at work). If the Aluminium PowerBook is not a substantial improvement on the Titanium (in terms of robustness) I�ll insist staff get iBooks or iMacs when we next cycle (puchase) computers.

I would rather have a PowerBook that is heavier, bulkier and slower than a thin, fast, fragile PowerBook that overheats!

Please Apple, please make them more robust. If it means making them slower - fine!

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2003, 06:11 AM

Now that's Breaking News.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 06:34 AM

DigitalEl ---> ROFL!

macxtal
Jul 14, 2003, 07:27 AM

TiBook problems are mainly cosmetic. I beat the crap out of mine, it's pretty banged up, but has never broken or overheated. The fan was bothering me, so I just unplugged it. The machine suffered no ill effects, other than running even warmer. If your machine is crashing, try reseating the ram or contacting apple. That is not normal.

I find it funny as hell that until the AlBooks were released, most people were very happy with the Tibook.

It's a piece of equipment, one that will be damn near worthless in 48-50 months. Get your money's worth from it.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2003, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by macxtal:

I find it funny as hell that until the AlBooks were released, most people were very happy with the Tibook.
I don't think it's true that people are suddenly changing their opinion of the Tibook after the aluminium books got released. Many people, myself included, sat out the entire Tibook series because we didn't like they way they looked or their fragility.

But they're still good machines. I just greatly prefer the aluminum design.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 07:38 AM

Did you hear the breaking news?

Apple is going to release STAINLESS STEEL POWERBOOKS NEXT!

They are sure to be VERY durable and will be able to take a fall from a table or an airplane.

They're being designed by Timex: Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Emeril
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2003, 08:10 AM

Fragile? Give me a break... what exactly are you doing to it? Maybe you should look at replacing the users of them before blaming the TiBook :-)

My current & previous TiBook's have no issues with this, abeit i'm not careless with them.

Anyhow, each to their own. Hopefully the AluBooks meet all of your expectations.

Originally posted by Sam Venning:

1. The PowerBook G3 was much, MUCH more robust. The PB G3 can "absorb" knocks and bumps that will destroy a Titanium PowerBook.

2. The Titanium PowerBooks overheat. We have several Titanium PB G4s at work that play up when they get hot.

I am very, VERY disappointed with the Titanium PowerBook and I certainly wouldn't fork out that much money to buy one for myself. I�m responsible for computer purchases at our company (we have 15 at work). If the Aluminium PowerBook is not a substantial improvement on the Titanium (in terms of robustness) I�ll insist staff get iBooks or iMacs when we next cycle (puchase) computers.

I would rather have a PowerBook that is heavier, bulkier and slower than a thin, fast, fragile PowerBook that overheats!

Please Apple, please make them more robust. If it means making them slower - fine!
- Titanium Powerbook 867Mhz
- 3rd Generation 10GB iPod
- iSight

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2003, 08:14 AM

The Ti book would have been tougher than nails if they didn't put that crappy cheap plastic between it. The problem with Ti is that it's not a malleable metal and expensive to work with. So getting all these nice rounded port holes and slots would have been an expensive engineering feat. Then to top if off they painted it, instead of bead blasting or clear coating it. It's marginally heavier than aluminum but much lighter than steel and tougher than both. SJ should have consulted someone from the bicycle industry before deciding.

Though previously mentioned it's mostly cosmetic, my TiBook looks bad but runs great, it's only a portable if you take it with you.

Lastly, aluminum is probably the best lightweight, aestetic and durable balanced material for laptops.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

rcarlosnyc
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by Sam Venning:

Buy a 17" Powerbook. It doesn't have the same problems as the 15".

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
The Ti book would have been tougher than nails if they didn't put that crappy cheap plastic between it.
yea that is carbon fiber actually

that being said... i have dropped my tibook a couple times and it is still good... i am pretty sure i could beat someone to death with it then use it to check my mail

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 01:35 PM

I would sure like to know what some of you use your powerbooks for. Braking walnuts? Frisby golfing? Stopping buck-shot? I have used the hell out of mine and it still looks great. It has been lugged to school, work, vacation... it has endured the elements in high-alpine enviornments and it has been used everyday since I first got it 2+ years ago. While I don't doubt other's complaints about frailty, perhapse you arent taking the right precautions with your hardware. I have had a neoprene Caselogic sleeve (originally designed for the clamshell iBooks, but mine has been stretched out to accomidate the 15er.) since I got the machine and I use it to transport it, which is great because it adds almost no extra bulk., just protection.. great for backpacks... i think you just need to threaten your employees/co-workers more. The hammurabi code works well: They chip the paint... you chip the paint on their car.. they break the access flap... you burn their house down, etc.<closest thing i can find to my sleeve>

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2003, 03:39 PM

Oh, shut up about robustness. I dropped my TiBook the first day I had it. Nearly had a heart attack too. There was no damage and it's been working fine for the past two years. No, actually, more than fine. It's been working perfectly for the past two years.

Best computer I have ever owned. Period. The AlBook 15's are gonna be even nicer, no doubt.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2003, 03:55 PM

I never was crazy about the tibooks. They are great, beautiful, I actually like them more then the ibooks..

But that damn frame around the ti. It's surpsing nobody ever made a substitute metal you could buy and install.

Not to mention that frame is not really CF, it's a mix of plastic and various other things, including copper (much like how old ibm laptops had magnesium mixed with plastic.

But the copper stretches with heat, causing the paint to come off.. simple eh?
Aloha

nayr x
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2003, 04:21 PM

it's like bickering among supermodels in here... Compare the tibook, or any other apple notebook to a PC notebook and then shut up about the trim around the keyboard or whatever other MINOR cosmetic attributes you don't like. The TiBooks, like most other apple products, have been GREAT machines and have served a lot of us VERY, VERY well. I don't care whether the "carbon fiber" IS carbon fiber, or copper or a crispy candy shell... The fact is my Ti has served me well, it has paid dividends, and it has been a GREAT computer. The new ones will of course surpass the old, but as I have said before, when I am done with my 500mhz PBG4, I am having it dipped in bronze and mounted on my wall. 'nuff said!

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 14, 2003, 04:23 PM

I am an owner of a TiPB, and I agree with this post. They were a step down in many ways over a Pismo.

The good news is the AlPBs seem to have resolved all of the issues affiliated with the TiPB and kept the cool thin design.

I consider the AlPBs to be the first real upgrade over the Pismo -- there were many disadvantages/compromises to the TiPB design. Enough that a 1GHz G4 15 Al would likely be a successful product for Apple if it resolved these issues.

Sam Venning  (op)
Jul 15, 2003, 03:46 AM

I wote the original post to this thread. I should also note that I really don't mind if the Titanium scratches easily - I'm really not concerned about the cosmetics. All I'm concerned about is its robustness. The G3 PowerBook was more robust (bar the CD-ROM tray - fair enough). I don't mind if they Ti G4 PB hinges crack or if the case scratches easily... as long as it keeps running. Five down out of 15 isn't good in my books.

Oh, yes, I think our staff could treat them with a bit more care.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 05:17 AM

I was flippant after your original post. That was uncalled for. I can't imagine that the TiBook is as strong as the old Pismo. That Pismo was a rare bird.

The aluminum machines seem good contenders though. My 12" doesn't creak when you pick it up, the way my plastic Pismo did. Only through time will a fair comparison truly be possible.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Tomster
Senior User
Jul 15, 2003, 07:09 PM

I really do not understand the purpose of this thread. Yes, the TiBook is not as durable as a Pismo. That being said, is durability the main concern when selecting a laptop? If so, please consider the Toughbooks from Panasonic. It is a great product that will take quite a beating and still function.

I upgraded from the Pismo to the first generation TiBook, then finally to the final generation TiBook. Why did I upgrade? Speed. Plain and simple. There are things easily done on a G4 1ghz that are impossible on a G3. (UT2k3)

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2003, 07:59 PM

The stainless steel Apple iWok is going to be very sturdy so forget about the TiBook phase, a winner is around the corner and no matter how many vegetables you fry in it the iWok will always look immaculate.

wildcard
Forum Regular
Jul 16, 2003, 12:40 PM

My only real complaints about the Tibook are the hinge design (prefer the AlBook hinge) and the location of the slot for the optical drive (side facing makes more sense than front facing).

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 03:11 PM

Man, the 1Ghz Ti is the best computer I have ever owned. Period. What is all this rubbish about it being fragile and somehow sub-standard. Its a first class product that thoroughtly smokes the competition. I have no issues at all with mine and I am thoroughtly pleased I bought one. Thanks Apple. Thanks Steve. Keep up the good work.

juanpacolopez
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
Man, the 1Ghz Ti is the best computer I have ever owned. Period. What is all this rubbish about it being fragile and somehow sub-standard. Its a first class product that thoroughtly smokes the competition. I have no issues at all with mine and I am thoroughtly pleased I bought one. Thanks Apple. Thanks Steve. Keep up the good work.
Here Here!

Kudos to the 1ghz Ti.

I wholeheartedly agree, it's by FAR the best machine I've ever owned. I personally find the overall build quality and "finish" to be of the highest order.

I suppose it could scratch easily... IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL. Personally, I'm incredibly anal about my Ti, and it doesn't have a scratch on it as a result. Accidents happen, but if you're careful cosmetic problems should be MINIMAL.

Aside from that, I love the FEEL of this machine. It's always felt REAL sturdy to me, especially compared to some high end windows laptops I've used (Toshiba etc.). Some of those feel like cheap plastic toys by comparison.

So, I'm another proud and extremely happy Ti owner. I'll definitely chime in my support.

And yes, people HAVE always had problem w/ the Ti. But you can't possibly deny that the "the Tibook sucks because" threads have increased GREATLY since the Al's came out.

Some people just take it personally when they have technology that's not the absolute newest.
Alex

G7 Software: home Tetrinet Aqua
-----
"Utopia" 1Ghz TiBook SuperDrive w/ 1Gb RAM.

vancenase
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 16, 2003, 10:25 PM

hi all ... i just posted a ramble here ...

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=168683

but wanted to know what you guys think of it. i wanted a 17" ... but just noticed today that all the ports are on the right/left side ... whereas the 15" TiBook has ports on the rear.

which do people prefer? get annoyed by? etc?

Forum Links
Forum Rules