Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther and no internet control panel!

Panther and no internet control panel!
JonahLee
Oct 24, 2003, 08:23 PM

I have to say I despise the loss of the Internet Control panel and putting the controls for default mail in Mail and the settings for Browsers in Safari! That is such a Microsoft move! This is ridiculous! I do not use Safari, and don't want to have to go into Safari to change the settings. I am a Mozilla developer, and am always switching between Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird, and to have to go into Safari to change this is insulting!

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2003, 08:26 PM

I like the new Network panel better anyhow.

JonahLee  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 12:01 AM

Sure the new Network control panel is nice, but what about the complete lack of the INTERNET control panel! Having to use Mail and Safari to set my internet settings to use other programs is so completely wrong! Why should I have to open Safari, this is such a step backwards.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 12:57 AM

I agree, a dumb move by Apple.

OTOH, you only have make the change once, then you're set... the OS doesn't try to continuously push you toward its own browser (unlike, ahem, some other OSses I could mention). It takes 5 seconds.

Just do it and then express your dissatisfaction to Apple.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback

Truepop
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2003, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by JonahLee:
Sure the new Network control panel is nice, but what about the complete lack of the INTERNET control panel! Having to use Mail and Safari to set my internet settings to use other programs is so completely wrong! Why should I have to open Safari, this is such a step backwards.
Most apps like that check first. Internet explorer does, so does Entourage, and Netscape. They will modify all that for you.

... I think omniweb too?

JonahLee  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 01:36 AM

Except for the fact that I am a Mozilla User and with nightly builds I am constantly re-installing browsers, and many times need to reset the preferences back to my browser, or switch them to Mozilla to check a bug, and having to open Safari is insulting!
( Last edited by JonahLee; Oct 25, 2003 at 01:52 AM. )

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 25, 2003, 02:06 AM

I have to say I despise the loss of the Internet Control panel and putting the controls for default mail in Mail and the settings for Browsers in Safari! That is such a Microsoft move! This is ridiculous! I do not use Safari, and don't want to have to go into Safari to change the settings. I am a Mozilla developer, and am always switching between Mozilla and Mozilla Firebird, and to have to go into Safari to change this is insulting!
Well, I think you may be taking it a bit too personally -- but I agree that the Internet System Preference was nice.

Regardless, you can use this program to change it:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14170

...or this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16066
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Oct 25, 2003, 02:17 AM

I'm with JonahLee on this one. Everything else about Panther is AWESOME. It is an extremely nice upgrade. However, the removal of the Internet Preferences is a really dumb, and dare I say it... M$ish, move on Apple's part.

Early on Apple said it was because of user polls and research indicating that people didn't understand what it was for. I don't buy that for one minute. The Mac OS has had some type of Internet Control Panel or preferences for years. People knew exactly what it was for. I think its more a matter of Apple wanting Safari and Mail used.

JonahLee  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by moki:
Well, I think you may be taking it a bit too personally -- but I agree that the Internet System Preference was nice.

Regardless, you can use this program to change it:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14170

...or this:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16066
So first off I disagree that I am taking this too personally. This is insulting, and such a Microsoft like act.

And second, why link to Apps that do nothing of the sort what Internet Prefs did? Once was to add all your browsers to Internet Prefs permanently, and the other is to add protocol handlers to the OS that Mac hasn't let you set since OS 9, unless you wanted to use IE to set them. Neither has the same functionality as the Internet Control panel in the slightest!

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2003, 01:10 PM

And second, why link to Apps that do nothing of the sort what Internet Prefs did? Once was to add all your browsers to Internet Prefs permanently, and the other is to add protocol handlers to the OS that Mac hasn't let you set since OS 9, unless you wanted to use IE to set them. Neither has the same functionality as the Internet Control panel in the slightest!
I'd take a closer look at the second one if I were you - I think it does most of what the Internet prefPane did - it's not just for adding protocols, it's for setting them as well.

I should know - I wrote it.

JonahLee  (op)
Oct 27, 2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I'd take a closer look at the second one if I were you - I think it does most of what the Internet prefPane did - it's not just for adding protocols, it's for setting them as well.

Yea, as I said I already use it, and yes I can see you can change Mail To's and the like, but I want my old Internet Control Panel back. Hopefully some programmer like yourself will fix what Apple has messed up. It just seems to me that you should set all your system wide settings in one place, and not be forced to open other Apps to do it!

Fine if they want to have those settings in Mail and Safari as well, but just to remove the system wide panel is ridiculous!!!

Hey maybe you can add the old functionality to More Internet 2!

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Oct 28, 2003, 08:51 AM

So first off I disagree that I am taking this too personally. This is insulting, and such a Microsoft like act.
I don't think it was done to be insulting, though. The majority of people probably didn't even know the Internet System Preference existed, or what exactly it did, because they ran their mail/web app, it asked if it should be the default, and they left it there.

Thus Apple probably decided just to move the functionality to the applications in question.

For the record, I agree with you, I think the Internet System Preference was quite handy. I haven't tested this, but it is pretty likely you could use Jaguar's Internet.prefPane on Panther if you wanted to.
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

spambot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2003, 02:27 PM

The X.2 Internet.prefPane does work in X.3. it even blocks out the significantly less useful .Mac prefPane in the System Prefs application.
This change was a terrible idea. I should be able to delete a web browser/mail program I never use without losing system-level functionality. The undeletability due to "co-mingling" of system-level functionality of a certain other web browser on a certain other platform does come to mind. Feedback sent.

cambro
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 02:44 PM

I agree, Apple screwed up big time with this one.

What in the F*#K were they thinking???

diamondsw
Senior User
Oct 28, 2003, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:

Any chance we could get many of the other features from the old "Internet Config" added to More Internet? I also love that little gem for setting my "helper apps".

What would be *really* nice is if Apple gave us a GUI front-end to LaunchServices - that should take into account your internet protocol handlers, file handlers, type mappings, etc. If I recall, BeOS did this very nicely.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 03:49 PM

I agree that this move is very "Microsoft-ish" in nature. It is clearly designed to herd users into using Safari and Mail. Now I don't mind those being setup as the default ... but there simply was no good reason to remove the Internet system preference to set the defaults. It's not even logical! Why would you go in one application to set another application to be the default for a particular task?

OAW

freeandunmuzzled
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 03:51 PM

I must admit I didn't even notice it had gone!

Forum Links
Forum Rules