Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X update? When?

OS X update? When?
Pismo400
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 02:03 PM

Does anyone know when the rumored update is to be released by Apple. It should've been here by now.

[This message has been edited by Pismo400 (edited 04-10-2001).]

bpbond
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 02:11 PM

Why, exactly, "should" it have been here by now? I, for one, would rather a more complete, better, and later update.

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2001, 02:12 PM

Only Apple knows for sure, but my guess is end of this week at the earliest. Probably it will include the "Power to burn" update as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2001, 02:43 PM

bp,
I agree, only because two weeks ago all the web sites said that the release was "imminent". If it's delayed to fix other problems, fine, but I wish that some of these news sites would stop projecting dates.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by starman:
bp,
I agree, only because two weeks ago all the web sites said that the release was "imminent". If it's delayed to fix other problems, fine, but I wish that some of these news sites would stop projecting dates.

Mike
Hmmm, that's interesting because as I recall, "all the web sites" I checked didn't contain an apple.com! Just because AppleInsider, MacOSRumors, Wincent.org, or MacOSX.org say something...take it with a grain of salt. Reason: They get information passed from lower-level apple employees who aren't in-the-know with what upper management has planned and never will truly know. I liken the Rumors Sites (Wincent.org and MacOSX.org deny being labeled as such, but we all know they are) to the TV news networks like CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC on Election Night: GORE WINS FLORIDA! They made prediction and they were all wrong.

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 03:33 PM

Anyone know if they are still seeding builds to developers?
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 03:37 PM

Apple might have originally planned the leaked update to be released by now but then decided to wait for CDBurning and afew other bits and pieces to be finished. So that there would be one packed update instead of afew small updates.

James
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

siegzdad
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 03:38 PM

I liken the Rumors Sites (Wincent.org and MacOSX.org deny being labeled as such, but we all know they are) to the TV news networks like CNN, ABC, CBS, and NBC on Election Night: GORE WINS FLORIDA! They made prediction and they were all wrong.
GORE WON FLORIDA?!?!?

------------------
iMac therefor iAm
iMac therefor iAm

way off topic
Apr 10, 2001, 04:21 PM

Gore did win Florida. April 6th article in the Miami Herald admits they didn't add viable votes in the four counties examined. Appears the officials, mostly dems, turned down many viable votes. See miami.com or http://consortiumnews.com/040601a.html for more details.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 10, 2001, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by bpbond:
Why, exactly, "should" it have been here by now? I, for one, would rather a more complete, better, and later update.
I have to disagree with that. If the Software Update feature can really automatically update your software without bothering you, I would like to see smaller, more frequent updates. I think it would be great if we got bug fixes as soon as they where ready instead of waiting for a big package of bug fixes.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Apr 10, 2001, 06:01 PM

With the amount of testing Apple has to do for each update, it would be more efficient to release updates not so frequently, but definitely more frequently than they have been before. Once every 1-2 months would be nice. I believe Steve said that the update would come some time in April, and no one knows anything more specific than that.

I wouldn't expect the update too soon though.

------------------
the oddball newsletter
------------------
it's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

jwblase
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 06:07 PM

This could be completely wrong but...

Perhaps Apple leaked the 4L7 update to see how well it worked in the real world, instead of the testing labs. We've all seen the reaction forums here at MacNN for 4L7, does anybody really think Apple doesn't read them?

Since it's leaked, and not officially supported, they have gotten a lot of feedback without having to officially support anything. If they've found any other problems with the update, or want to add more features, then they should delay the update until they are satisfied that it's going to be right for everybody that installs it.

JB
---------------------------
"Time will tell. It always does."
-The Doctor

graphics84
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 06:18 PM

I errr....found the update

it sped up my system a lot...

runs fine

I just hope apple doesn't get pissed and release a new update that screws up your system if you did the leaked update...

Sorry Steve! but my machine runs better now...

krove
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by jwblase:
Since it's leaked, and not officially supported, they have gotten a lot of feedback without having to officially support anything.
As I said in another thread, there is no way Apple can use the info users divulge about the problems with unsupported updates because Apple cannot verify setup, 3rd party software, or what they were doing. I hardly think the reports that go on this forum are very complete (at least enough for a full bug report).

The reason for the delay, in my opinion comes down to economics: fewer updates means fewer support issues and fewer builds that need new TILs, etc. All of this equates to less money.

BTW, my comparison to Gore "winning" Florida above was about the crackpot job the networks did on the projections, not a partisan jab. Who cares what happened 'cause there's nothing you can do about it until the election in 2004 (and until then, we already have a President).

krove

------------------
*The next sentence is entirely true...
*The previous sentence is most decidedly false...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Lord Kronos
Senior User
Apr 10, 2001, 06:24 PM

According to Mac OS Rumors we should see the update at the end of April... and new dual-processor macs as well .

------------------
"Ein kleiner Mensch stirbt - nur zum Schein"
"Sing you fools ! But you got it wrong..."

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2001, 06:27 PM

Speaking of updates.. anyone have any idea when we'll be able to use the wacom tablets or canon scanners in osx? Or my canon elph digital camera... it'd be quite annoying if I had to boot back and forth between os9 and osx for minor thingsli ke that.

Does anybody know whether apple, or the 3rd party, is in charge of releasing these drivers?

------------------
My computer can beat up your computer.
I live my life one cool toy at a time.

zythemac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by jwblase:
This could be completely wrong but...

Perhaps Apple leaked the 4L7 update to see how well it worked in the real world, instead of the testing labs. We've all seen the reaction forums here at MacNN for 4L7, does anybody really think Apple doesn't read them?

Since it's leaked, and not officially supported, they have gotten a lot of feedback without having to officially support anything. If they've found any other problems with the update, or want to add more features, then they should delay the update until they are satisfied that it's going to be right for everybody that installs it.

JB
I've been thinking that too. I know it sounds crazy on one hand, but I think it would be a smart thing to do. So who knows? I have not seen Apple crack down on anyone (unless they put it on their iDisk), and Apple's know for cracking down on leaks.

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by way off topic:
Gore did win Florida. April 6th article in the Miami Herald admits they didn't add viable votes in the four counties examined. Appears the officials, mostly dems, turned down many viable votes. See miami.com or http://consortiumnews.com/040601a.html for more details.
Why are people still hung up on this? Although neither candidate is "super prez el respecte!", at least Bush has some personality.

------------------

dfbennett
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2001, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by mr_sonicblue:
Why are people still hung up on this? Although neither candidate is "super prez el respecte!", at least Bush has some personality.

Yea he sure is a character with all of his cocaine usage and all

------------------
Regards,
Dave
Regards,
Dave

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 06:53 PM

They are both Murkins

Nuff Said.....

Other another note the best way to shut up trolls is for an amazing good update I for one would prefer this to alot of small seemingly ineffectual updates which the media would pounce on as useless. i.e. Apple released another bug fix for there problematic system today the third one in two weeks etc..... I think this is why Apple is working on a big update.

------------------
--
I Took The Red Pill

fobside
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2001, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
Speaking of updates.. anyone have any idea when we'll be able to use the wacom tablets or canon scanners in osx? Or my canon elph digital camera... it'd be quite annoying if I had to boot back and forth between os9 and osx for minor thingsli ke that.

Does anybody know whether apple, or the 3rd party, is in charge of releasing these drivers?
yeah i have the same camera. anyone know specific dates?

------------------
I used to use a PC.

godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2001, 07:56 PM

Bush? Personality? in the same sentence? hahah oh man good one!

James
PowerMac G4 DP867 [DDR]
PowerMac G4 400 [Yikes]
15GB iPod 3G
iSight
2003 MINI Cooper

Pismo400  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2001, 08:08 PM

STOP TALKING ABOUT POLITICS DAMMIT!!!! STICK TO THE SUBJECT

davidski
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 08:23 PM

Wacom has said they're waiting for Apple to provide OS support before they can write the drivers for their tablets, but if everything fell into place, they would have them ready this summer.

As for the Elph, I've got one too, and one of the nice things 4L7 brought was that the Canon Image Browser and picture import program now work through Classic, so no need to boot OS 9 for that anymore.

C-Eye
Forum Regular
Apr 10, 2001, 08:38 PM

I'm sure Apple is getting in CD burning and DVD playback (along with speed, usability and bug fixes- I hope) with the first update to Mac OS X. They had way too much bad press about the missing features that make up the majority of their current ad campaign. Releasing an update to the OS without supporting CD burning, at least, would be a big mistake at this point. Unfortunately folks like me who just want the damn speed increase will have too.

Let's face it, Apple and third party developers are going to be way slow getting out updates. It could be a year or more before some applications run natively on OS X and the operating system is as polished as OS 9.1

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2001, 10:12 PM

The update for adding CD burning is set for April with the one for DVD playback set for the end of May, according to what Steve Jobs was telling the Wall Street types early last week. Roxio was telling journalists (last week as Toast 5 was launched) they expect to release the Carbon version of Toast 5 the end of this week. They can't post the Carbonized version of Toast till OS X will let them at the hardware so my guess is that Apple is telling THEM that they hope to get the Power to Burn update out within several days.

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2001, 12:13 AM

I'd actually rather wait and have a more complete and stable update.

Man it will get nuts around here before the 10.1 release this summer (supposedly.) I hope it's not going to be a dissapointment. Then again, MWNY is only about three months away, that doesn't give them alot of time to add new features, given all the work they have just to polish up the current release.

------------------
JB71.34.1b

Dock Perverts still rule OK?

adamtki
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 03:02 AM

Between MW in January to the release, Apple only had just under 3 months to iron out as many bugs as they can. As you can see, they got rid of most of the high severity bugs. Between the release and MW in July, Apple has just over 3 months to iron out all those annoying bugs and missing features and speed optimizations. That's not a whole lot of time, especially for an OS product.

To release an update, it has to go through rigorous testing, requiring lots of resources. Having one update between the release and MW in July sounds like the best plan. I read from macosrumors (or somewhere, can't quite remember) that there will be an Apple event scheduled near the end of April. The update will probably be announced then along with OS X server 2.0 and so forth. So it looks like everyone has to deal with the slow Aqua/Quartz UI until then (the slow UI is my biggest complaint... close your eyes and imagine an OS X with snappy windows and apps that launch at classic speed!). I'll be happy to wait a few weeks for a higher quality update. Now, if they can only use 3D hardware rendering for Aqua...

The 4L5 and 4L7 updates were probably leaked by one of Apple's Premier ADC members, since they were given the updates to test. Incidently, a guy from Apple had this to say about those releases:

"Anyone installing it should expect to have to wipe their hard drive and reinstall OS X from scratch... Some of the updates had problems that left the permissions on the target volume in a different state than the system expected and the 'real' update wouldn't fix it since no 'real' users were expected to have the problem."
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

jimmac
Apr 11, 2001, 03:37 AM

If that's true what did they expect the ADC members testing the update to do? That doesn't make sense.

adamtki
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 03:50 AM

It makes perfect sense, cause that's how beta stuff is tested. You put it on a test machine that'll be wiped out (especially if the OS itself is beta) after you're done.

[This message has been edited by adamtki (edited 04-11-2001).]
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

jbmelby
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2001, 10:55 AM

Speaking of updates.. anyone have any idea when we'll be able to use the wacom tablets or canon scanners in osx?
I don't know about Wacom--but my Canon N650U scanner works beautifully in OS X running Classic.

Forum Links
Forum Rules