Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Best way to get 1/4" TRS or balanced XLR into my G5?

Best way to get 1/4" TRS or balanced XLR into my G5?
mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2005, 12:43 PM

I'll be picking up a mic preamp soon with two outputs -- standard balanced 1/4" TRS and balanced XLR. I'd like to hook this thing up directly to my G5, but obviously the G5 has neither of these inputs. What's my best option? An XLR-to-1/8" converter? 1/4"-to-1/8"? Is there a good, inexpensive sound card with either 1/4" or XLR input? Is there something else I just completely don't know about?

I'm still a verified newbie in the world of audio, and I appreciate any and all help!
Be happy.

scdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2005, 05:09 PM

Look at the Fast Track USB from M-Audio www.m-audio.com

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2005, 12:31 PM

That's possible, but it seems to be overkill -- I don't need another box, and it's $129. Is there a huge loss of quality if I just use a converter to plug the preamp into the G5's 1/8" jack? The preamp I use now plugs into the digital-audio-in, but the new one isn't going to have a digital out.
Be happy.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2005, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mac freak
That's possible, but it seems to be overkill -- I don't need another box, and it's $129. Is there a huge loss of quality if I just use a converter to plug the preamp into the G5's 1/8" jack? The preamp I use now plugs into the digital-audio-in, but the new one isn't going to have a digital out.
If you don't want to go the dedicated converter/audio interface route just yet I'd say try adapters to get the 1/4" output to 1/8" & see/hear if that suits your needs (easier than trying to adapt an XLR to 1/8").

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by mac freak
It's not overkill. If you want your stuff to be good, then buy good things.

129$ is cheap for a A/D/A box, get it... you'll be happy in the long run.

If you don't want to spend money, why are you getting new pre's in the first place?
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 15, 2005, 02:57 AM

I've already spent way more money than I've allotted. I just don't have the extra cash at the moment.
Be happy.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2005, 01:50 PM

That being said, the G5s' analog audio input is definetely cleaner and nicer sounding
than that of the analog audio in of my old Sawtooth G4 and definetely cleaner and
nicer than that of my old 6400/180.

Until you can afford something, it's better than nothing.

scdean
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2005, 07:56 PM

If you just want to use adapters, at least go through an iMic from Griffin Technology http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/.
It'll be much cleaner.

lenox
Senior User
Aug 22, 2005, 04:28 PM

Overkill? Try underkill. You're going to need a dedicated audio interface. You could make do with a cheap mixer possibly, and some converters from radio shack, but i am pretty sure you'd be turning that balanced signal into an unbalanced one...plus you'd be relying on your onboard a/d converters which I bet are not going to do justice to your mics or preamp.

If you are certain you want to go this route (as much as everyone recommends against it), here's a cheap mixer that has XLR inputs and 1/4" outputs which you could get to 1/8" for your sound card if need be:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHUB502 - that's $35 as of the time of this writing...add another $10 for cables/converters....that's not so bad.

monster and machine
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2005, 01:10 PM

the fast track sucks. if oyu want quality you are going to have to spend more than that. you need good converters and good pre-amps. if you are using condenser mics, then you also need phantom power +48V.

check out Edirol's FA-66.
"The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases, one of those diseases is man." -Friedrich Nietzsche

Mediaman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2005, 09:33 AM

use a M-Box from digidesign ( use it with protools)

it has 2 xlr plugs for microphone (with phantom power) he you can even stick a guitar or something
right in it

also sdpif in/out and a lot of other connections
it's great
The only way to accelerate a windowsmachine is at 9.8 m/s......

Forum Links
Forum Rules