Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > G5 lost Internet connection, but LAN still works

G5 lost Internet connection, but LAN still works
mac freak
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 03:48 AM

Hey, all.

I shipped my computer back to my house a bit ago, and when I set it all back up everything worked fine...except I cannot get an Internet connection! The machine is a Power Mac G5 (rev. A dual 1.8), OS X 10.4.4 I think. I have a PC on the same ethernet hub; its net connection is fine. My G5 even sees the other computers in my network, and can connect to them, no problem.

The G5's net connection was working fine at school before I shipped it and no settings had been altered. I tried creating a new account on it to see if there was some kind of screwy Network preference messing everything up...no difference. Tried plugging the ethernet straight into the machine, without first going through the hub...no difference.

I'd just assume the port somehow broke except for the fact that it talks just fine with other computers on my network...just not the Internet.

We use a Comcast cable modem service. Normally I just set the ethernet to DHCP and zam, everything works fine. I've attached and detached probably 15 computers from this network over the years with no issue.

But this baffles me.

Any suggestions!?

Thanks!
Be happy.

mac freak  (op)
Mac Elite
May 30, 2006, 03:53 AM

Alright, reset the cable modem and now it's all working fine.
Who knows!!
Be happy.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2006, 05:39 AM

Try to set the DNS server manually in System Preferences (enter the IP address of the DNS server of your ISP). I've seen Macs which do not get the DNS server name from DHCP before... Not sure when/why it happens though.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2006, 06:42 AM

I've been seeing the same symptom with wireless networks off and on since 10.4.6.

Very odd, and fixed only by a restart.

Forum Links
Forum Rules