Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > AliasMenu

AliasMenu
doclee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2001, 03:51 PM

Is AliasMenu 2.2 compatible with OS 9.1? There is no mention of this on the AliasMenu web page. It was last updated in 1999. If anyone is using it, let me know.

Jonnie13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2001, 12:37 AM

I had trouble with alias menu under 9.0.4. and gave it up. I really don't remember the specific mischief it caused but I do remember it had a tendency to show gibberish right before it froze up my powerbook. It is a shame too: I thought if alias menu worked as advertised I could have hierarchical access to my whole hard disk via the apple menu (BeHierarchic) and alias menu. I would be lost without the ultra-stable BeHierarchic and the "orderly" apple menu it creates. I had the same high hopes for alias menu. Too bad

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2001, 01:09 AM

Imbecilic mistake snipped

Duh. Brain lapse. You said 9.1. Yes, believe it or not, I normally have half a brain in my head.

[This message has been edited by Nonsuch (edited 02-01-2001).]
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2001, 03:34 PM

Forget Alias Menu. TaskMenu Bar is in my opinion superior. I will test it with 9.1 next week.

N_D_Y
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2001, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by Not_Dark_Yet:
Forget Alias Menu. TaskMenu Bar is in my opinion superior
Though I haven't used TaskMenu Bar, I've never had an urge to try anything else after installing AliasMenu w/ BeHierarchic. AliasMenu complies with the menu bar "metaphor" (menu bar means menus! Buttons bad!), allows you to assign hot keys to launch apps, and (w/ BeH) lets you drill right down into your hard drive from the menu bar. I actually dumped DragThing after setting these up, and I didn't think anything could replace DragThing.

Nonsuch

------------------
And only a numbskull thinks he knows things
about things he knows nothing about!
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

elzinat
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2001, 03:41 PM

I'm running AliasMenu 2.2, and the upgrade from 9.0.4 (where it worked fine) to 9.1 was without problem. so yes, AliasMenu 2.2 and OS 9.1 are compatible

------------------
be happy!
-mac freak

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2001, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by Jonnie13:
I thought if alias menu worked as advertised I could have hierarchical access to my whole hard disk via the apple menu [/B]
Try this--It may do what you want without third party software (If I understand you correctly):

Make an alias of your hard drive and drop it into your apple menu items folder. Turn submenus on in the Apple menu options control panel. This way, you can mouse right through all the folders on your hard drive in the apple menu. If you put a space before the name of your drive, it'll show up at the top of the Apple menu, right below About This Computer...

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Not_Dark_Yet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2001, 01:07 PM

It took a long time, but I am back to report that TaskMenu Bar works fine with 9.1, and that with Menuette we have a simply deadly combination

N-D_Y
People are crazy and times are strange
I'm locked in tight, I'm out of range
I used to care, but things have changed.

BOB DYLAN - "Things Have Changed"

Forum Links
Forum Rules