Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP C2D: Good to go?

MBP C2D: Good to go?
DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 27, 2006, 03:06 PM

So I'm not hearing very many complaints or seeing many postings about problems with MBP C2D systems. Is it safe to say that Apple got it right? Anything (options, etc.) to beware of when placing my order?

HeldUp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 03:51 PM

I like my glossy screen.

appleII+
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 03:52 PM

Mine works great!

Soccerji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 08:20 PM

mine is also running great !!!

I just hope I did the right thing by purchasing it now...I'm hoping it'll get me through the next OS they are coming out with, without having to upgrade anything on it, since it supports 64 bit.

atc ben
Nov 27, 2006, 09:33 PM

I'm still enjoying mine. It's beautiful.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 27, 2006, 10:00 PM

Happy, happy, Mac, Mac!

I like my MBP (and it's one of the last pre-Core 2 Duo machines) VERY much. Yes, I think they got it right.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2006, 10:18 PM

Good

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 27, 2006, 10:44 PM

I wish feedback on the MacBooks was this positive
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 12:01 AM

I had to send the first one back because of a bad logic board.

So they haven't quite gotten everything right, but the second one is problem free :knocks on wood:

17MBPC2D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 12:22 PM

I recieved mine yesterday AM and it was well worth the wait....ADC Discount pricing, free expedited shipping and additional $50 off for shipping delay.

Anyhow, no flaws...Everthing is PERFECT!!! What a wonderful notebook

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2006, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Soccerji View Post
mine is also running great !!!

I just hope I did the right thing by purchasing it now...I'm hoping it'll get me through the next OS they are coming out with, without having to upgrade anything on it, since it supports 64 bit.
Of course it will get you through the next OS. You've got a very powerful machine there, and OS X upgrades are not like Windows.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

cms
Senior User
Nov 28, 2006, 01:00 PM

Mine arrived yesterday lunch time and it is beee-oooooo-teeeeee-full! It is quick (very), quiet and the glossy screen is quite delicious. I "upgraded" from the first MBP which came out at the beginning of the year. While I thought that was pretty damn good, this is absolutely AWESOME

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 04:09 PM

I am getting my feet wet playing Oblivion; it looks GORGEOUS to me at 1024x768 resolution, high settings, which was automatically set by the software. But I am not a hardcore gamer so take that remark with a grain of salt. I have finished Tomb Raider Legends at 1400x900 resolution and it ran pretty smooth all the way. For the occasional gamer this laptop is great. Some may find the fan annoying during gaming but no big deal to me if I have the external speakers hooked up.

I am using an A900 Sprint cell phone to connect to the net using Bluetooth right now while surfing in Boot Camp using Windows XP. No fan at all usually when browsing.

Editing Digtal Video with Final Cut Express 3.0 is a breeze as well as burning DVD's with iDVD.

The keyboard backlighting looks almost twice as bright as my year old Powerbook.

All in all I really am pleased with this laptop. No heat problems or wierd noises or dead LCD pixels here.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
...For the occasional gamer this laptop is great....
occasional gamer? that makes it sound like its not a beast, which it is. "Road Warrior"

sray
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2006, 05:24 PM

We got in thirteen new laptops in the last two weeks. All are good except one which had a bad DVI port. To their credit, Apple SMB (small and medium size business) customer service promptly shipped us a new one.

Overall, not a complaint from the users.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2006, 05:56 PM

Only complaint I have with mine is that the screen's viewing angle isn't as good as my old PowerBook's (a 1.25 GHz 15" AluBook - the first 15" Aluminum PowerBook after the TiBooks). The brightness and colors shift noticeably if I tilt or move my head (and if I keep my head stationary, I can see a difference between the center of the screen and the edges).

Not a show-stopper, but a higher-quality matte screen would have been nice. On the other hand, this one is pleasantly free of white spots!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

badtz
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 06:24 PM

Squeaky spacebar key + wireless reception fluctuating ....

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 06:41 PM

I'm glad I waited for the C2D. This is an absolutely stunning machine.

There are a few changes from my PowerBook that I like:

-The fans are variable speeds, and are much quieter.
-Feels just as cool as my old powerbook.
-The double latch keeps the display from warping as much.
-The superdrive is much quieter.
-Screen & keyboard backlights are much brighter and clearer.
-The scrolling trackpad is a definite improvement, along with 2 finger "right clicking".

My only annoyance is the Hitachi Hard Drive is the noisiest device on this laptop. My powerbook came with a Hitachi HD, which died last January, and was replaced by a Toshiba. The Toshiba ran super quiet.

This new MacBook Pro is a very good investment.
I gotta have more cowbell.

typ993
Nov 28, 2006, 06:49 PM

Not so fast. I had to return the one I ordered right after the C2D MBP came out (2.16GHz stock machine). The internal display would go black if an external display was connected and would eventually lock up the machine. That went off to Apple Engineering for examination.

Then on the replacement machine Apple sent me, one of the screws on the memory compartment was torqued down so tight, the tip of my screwdriver broke off in the screw! It was wedged in there so tightly the screw could not be removed, so for the past week, it's been at Apple repair getting the bottom half of the case replaced.

This may be a great machine, but so far, I've only been able to use it for about a week out of the month since I received my first one.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 07:56 PM

Excellent Machine - no problems with it at all - it might even surpass my iBook Dual USB as my favorite Mac ever!

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 08:02 PM

i haven't heard any bad news on the c2d mbp, so i would say yes.

this probably belongs on a new thread, but i just wanted to ask has anyone noticed that now when apple announces an item, they are usually shipping.

remember the days when they would announce a product and it would take weeks (a month sometimes or more) before the actual item would be available. way to go!

DKeithA  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts. I think I made the right decision and waited until the right time to get my next Mac. So, i placed my order for a 2.33/2.0/160 today and finally have converted to Intel.

HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 08:59 PM

Unfortunately, mine was plagued by the emphamis white spots...I just sent it in. this is my second Mac (I have a Mac Mini) but my first Mac laptop.

Other than the whole white spot thing, I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE this machine. It's super quiet, no heat issue, wifi and bt are great, bright backlit keys, usb ports work fine, not too heavy, and it just works. I relaly am glad I made the investment. i think it was well worth the $$$$$ and also well worth the wait. I was waiting impatiently for the C2D due to a need for a portable. I take this thing everywhere with me!
Mac Mini G4 1.33 Ghz:40GBhf, 512MBRAM, 32MBVRAM
MBP 15.4' 2.33Ghz:160GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
iMac 24' 2.4 Ghz, 300GBhd, 2GBRAM, 256MBVRAM
80GB iPod Classic (black)

MRTrauffer
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by HazelGirl View Post
I take this thing everywhere with me!
Same here! My MBP rarely ever leaves my side.
I gotta have more cowbell.

Toyin
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2006, 09:33 PM

No problems with mine either. Love this machine. Only an annoying problem with Parallels

This machine is fast. I run Parallels at least 75% of the time while I'm using my MBP and I'll forget that I'm running an entire second operating system in the background!
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

sedlacek
Nov 28, 2006, 10:45 PM

Have had my C2D (2.33GHz/15-in) for nearly 3 wks and I am completely thrilled that I waited until now to get my new laptop (upgraded from a TiBk/667). I have installed the usual compliment of software and I have also installed Parallels to run a couple of windoze-only programs (Grams, MathCad). WRT Parallels, the performance of the two cited windoze programs is at least as good (if not better than) than the old Dell Latitude that I was previously using at work.

I also like some of the little touches that Apple has incorporated into this unit (again, relative to the TiBk that it replaced). For example, the plastic trim will help eliminate the chipping of paint on the edges of the laptop. Probably overlooked by most folks, but the chipping of paint on the old TiBks was a problem. Also, the improved robustness of the hinges is nice to see. And one can't forget to mention the bright screen.

If you're on the fence, this is a top-notch machine that you won't be disappointed with.

cheers

-a

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2006, 11:13 PM

Love my stock 2.16 GHz C2D... My wireless reception is mediocre.

schwachs
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2006, 10:44 AM

no complaints... except I wish I had one for every member of my family.

SoClose
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2006, 12:47 PM

I've had my MBP C2D 2.33GHz for a couple of weeks and it's been rock-solid and (knock on wood) largely flaw-free. I'm still blown away by the performance, even running Office 2004 under Rosetta is as fast or faster than my previous PBG4 1.25GHz. For the business-class user, Apple really hit a home run with this machine.

PBFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 29, 2006, 12:50 PM

Enjoying my 15" 2.33 GHz C2D MBP too, but like HarriganC I'm having occasional wireless issues. Seems to be a known issue on the Apple Discussion forums, perhaps a software update to follow in the near future? Otherwise a very solid machine and even the wireless issue is minimal.

mrl14
Nov 29, 2006, 01:45 PM

I love my MBP C2D. The only thing is that the adapter can get really hot. Usually ends up hotter than the actual laptop when I use my laptop as I charge the battery.
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 29, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by MattJeff View Post
occasional gamer? that makes it sound like its not a beast, which it is. "Road Warrior"
O.k. then; I'll bring it up to "medium gamer".

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2006, 10:19 AM

It's definately the delicate Road Warrior, if you will - massive amounts of sheer watt-sucking power attached to soft aluminum and wimpy batteries.

My jury is still milling this one over.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2006, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrl14 View Post
I love my MBP C2D. The only thing is that the adapter can get really hot. Usually ends up hotter than the actual laptop when I use my laptop as I charge the battery.
That's happening to me, too. Is this a problem? With my Dell, it was. The adapter burned itself out within a few months.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 05:55 PM

I have a 2.33 just recently upgraded the harddrive t oa 160gb (instal.led the 120gb on my ps3)
and i love this machie- it is so awesome to use and the attention i get when im at the local starbucks is amazing.

while microsoft was trying to get social with the zune, apple already the had spot sealed when they released the macbook pro (have anybody noticed how people look at you when you have a mac?) i actually had a couple of people come up to spark a conversation about how i feel about using a mac.

i love it, will be best friend for the next 4 years.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

telf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 06:31 AM

HI there
my only comments as a new macbook pro owner is try stay away from

1. the matshita UJ-857 dvd drive
2. 00009C60 model lcd screen

ive sent back 2 macbook pro's now which is extremly annoying as the first drive didnt work on 20% of disc's and the 2nd screen was very uneven backlighting.

hopefully my 3rd mac when it arrives will be a good one.

regards
telf

pete
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2006, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by telf View Post
HI there
my only comments as a new macbook pro owner is try stay away from

1. the matshita UJ-857 dvd drive
2. 00009C60 model lcd screen

ive sent back 2 macbook pro's now which is extremly annoying as the first drive didnt work on 20% of disc's and the 2nd screen was very uneven backlighting.

hopefully my 3rd mac when it arrives will be a good one.

regards
telf

I hate to say this, but the second model screen (9C57) is equally bad. It doesn't have the same uneven backlighting as the 9C60 but it has much darker upper corners and much more bleeding at the bottom - whites are white at the bottom and get murky/darker at the top. I don't know of any other model so perhaps there is another one that is better.

It also seems to just luck. Some are better than others - Hope you get a good one!

hamsuplo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 07:45 PM

I haven't had problems yet. I have to say the fit and finish is better than my first MBP.
MacBook Pro | (MA610LL) | 15.4-inch | 2.33GHz Core 2 Duo | UCLA $tudent $pecial $1999 Edition

PBFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2006, 09:51 PM

I have the 9C57 screen, and I can see nothing wrong with it, so I second the idea that it's a hit or miss problem with that model.

ONG
Dec 2, 2006, 04:45 AM

where do u get the screen info?

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 2, 2006, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by buddy1065 View Post
O.k. then; I'll bring it up to "medium gamer".
Thanks that will suffice... i guess. A medium gamer in PCworld is equal to a hardcore gamer in Macworld, and i Live in Macworld.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 02:29 PM

where do you find this info? My screen is quite close to perfect.

Originally Posted by PBFan View Post
I have the 9C57 screen, and I can see nothing wrong with it, so I second the idea that it's a hit or miss problem with that model.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 03:36 PM

C2D 17" MBP is superb so far. I loved the 15" form factor, but experiencing the extra screen real estate and pixels combined with the new brightness (a very big deal to me) have fully converted me to preferring the 17" size. The sound quality is a bonus.

-Allen Wicks

Forum Links
Forum Rules