Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Does your MBP core 2 run hot?

Does your MBP core 2 run hot?
npeterh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 02:33 AM

Hi

I am running a Core Duo 1.83 and espite a MLB replacement it still runs quite hot.
Running a simple app in Parallell runs it at 140F.

What temperatures does your Core 2 Duo run?

Apart from the heat I really like it. However it is enough to make me think about replaing it if the new ones run a lot cooler.

Thanks

Film Prof
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 05:44 AM

For the most part, it runs pretty cool. 44C right now, running Firefox and a solitaire game. I can get it into the 70s if I import a CD into iTunes or open multiple HD streams, but even then I can just ramp up the fans and get it back down into the 60s, if they don't ramp up themselves. Looks like they start to ramp up around 72-74C.

I've never seen it go higher than that.

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2006, 07:45 AM

Not sure why... but my MBP c2d runs anything between 45C and 63C at any given time - I can sit it directly onto my desk or using an x-stand... sometimes running parallels, other times just simple web browsing. It gets cold here some nights [south west of England] as those long winter nights kick in and I have my central heating up... I am a southern softie after all

If I'm in a cold room and it starts from shutdown [or sleep] it takes a good while to warm up - and it sits at @ 45C - 53C most of the time until the room temperature rises...

I *think* this is normal? Or at least I'm hoping it is, I don't want to send it back to Apple already... It never seems excessively hot and runs much cooler than my now retired 3 year old G4 PB... the hottest I've managed to get it is at 71C when running handbrake and other DVD ripping apps.

Just my 2 cents...

The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

sedlacek
Dec 10, 2006, 10:47 AM

I, too, range from 45-65 (the upper end experienced when I'm running MathCad within Parallels (rev. 3036), and having Mail, word, Safari, Igor Pro active). Compared to the temperatures others have cited with the MBP CD, I'd say waiting for the C2D was time well spent....
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 12:34 PM

140F is only 60C... well within the norm for modern laptops.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2006, 01:14 PM

I expect top end laptops to be hot (Duos, G3 PB, G4 PBs). The 17" C2D MBP is the coolest laptop I have had .

-Allen Wicks

siflippant
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2006, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I expect top end laptops to be hot (Duos, G3 PB, G4 PBs). The 17" C2D MBP is the coolest laptop I have had .

-Allen Wicks
What temp. does it run at?
The more people I meet, the more I love dogs...
Women aren't stupid........................ men are ;)

Soccerji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 02:48 PM

don't mean to hijack your thread, but what app are you all using to detect the temp ? is it all the same app ??

SurfSkateJeep
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2006, 09:39 PM

smcFanControl can let u see and change your fan speeds, along with seeing how hot you are running.

Burn
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2006, 10:31 PM

Interesting feedback... my 2.16 17" MBP (a CD machine) has always run around 46c while doing easy stuff (web browsing with A LOT of windows or tabs open, downloads, email... chat...). When I start using photoshop or any design apps, it gets into the 70's.. ALWAYS running dead quiet, even when I see the temps get into the high 80's, I can never hear the fans. My boss who sits next to me just got a 2.33 C2D 15"... I can hear his fans running A LOT and that's across both our desks. I read here that the C2D machines run their fans 500rpm higher than the CD machines during low processor use.. I don't know if that is the factor at play, but overall, the CD and C2D machines run very closely to each other temp wise (from my experience). MAYBE 5c difference.. and the top of his machine get just as hot as mine, when doing similar tasks. As do almost all the other C2D machines I've seen.

I use 'Temperature Monitor' to watch my temps.

bloodline
Forum Regular
Dec 11, 2006, 08:15 AM

I use smcFanControl to detect actual temperatures.

My MBP C2D runs very cool, and the fan noise is very noticable when running an intensive app... like a 3D Game (still pottering around Oblivion).

My MBP CD runs very hot, and the fan noise is less noticable when running an intensive app... like a 3D Game (Oblivion par example). I use smcFanControl run the fans up to about 2000RPM minium, which keeps the machine more bearable.
2.8 Ghz Unibody MacBook Pro 15" - 4GB Ram - Logic Pro 8.0
2.33 Ghz C2D MacBook Pro 15" - 3GB Ram - Logic Pro 7.2
1.5 Ghz G4 PowerBook 12" - 1.25GB Ram

solofx7
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 08:50 AM

Sorry to jump in so late.
I had a Core Duo and it ran very hot.
It was as hot if not hotter than my Powerbook G4.
Now I have a Core 2 Duo and it is significantly cooler. I can actually put it on my lap and it is useable. I could not say that of my Powerbook or My Core Duo.
I would say to possibly see if that utility mentioned above helps.
If not complain to apple.
Not that I am a big complaining person, but sometimes it helps.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2006, 09:29 AM

My C2D 15" MBP 2.33 GHz runs idle at ~45C. The palm rests are ~ room temp. The bottom is warm.
My CD 15" MBP 2.0 GHz runs idle at ~60C. The palm rests are very warm. The bottom is hot.

The fan on the C2D MBP isn't louder, but at high RPMs it has a higher pitch than the CD's fan. The idle fan speed is higher on the C2D, but I can't hear it even in a perfectly silent environment. Once the fans ramp up beyond 2500 RPM you can hear them in a silent room. Above 4000 RPM they are well audible.

I find the C2D MBP one of the most quiet and least hot portable professional Macs I have ever owned. Considering its awesome performance I'm perfectly happy with its noise/heat level.

Forum Links
Forum Rules