Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Horizontal Menus?

Horizontal Menus?
Sosa
Senior User
Jul 3, 2011, 06:20 PM

I did a search and did not find anything on this topic. I would rather hold my iPhone horizontally. While some applications allow you to do this, others don't. Most annoyingly, the desktop with all of the app icons and many other menus are vertical only.

Any way to change this? There is an option to lock in vertical but what I want to do is lock in horizontal!
2011 iMac 2.7 i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB HD
Previous Macs: Apple IIc+, iMac 350 G3, iBook 700 G3, G4 Powerbooks 12" 1ghz & 15" 1.67ghz
Join Team MacNN.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2011, 05:52 AM

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: Maybe, if you jailbreak it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2011, 11:51 AM

I don't know why Apple doesn't allow for horizontal springboard orientation. It has always functioned on the iPad.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

P
Jul 5, 2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: Maybe, if you jailbreak it.
A quick google reveals several hacks like that for a jailbroken phone.

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I don't know why Apple doesn't allow for horizontal springboard orientation. It has always functioned on the iPad.
Most likely because the iPhone has a natural direction that it is meant be used in - with the home button down, because that's the way the speaker and microphone are oriented. The iPad has no such limitation, and might as well be used upside down.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules