Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OSX and Beige G3

OSX and Beige G3
Enigma Al
Sep 19, 2000, 01:17 AM

Has anyone installed OSX Public Beta on a Beige G3? I've heard that the jumpers on the drives need to be reconfigured. Is this true?

Al

fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 19, 2000, 03:00 AM

i have tried, but have had little success

i have taken out all my pci cards, tried to boot from the os x cd, and all that it does is load up to a grey screen, and just as the happy mac appears, it restarts, and restarts, and restarts, and....

any other beige g3 owners (i use a g3/233 beige desktop rev. a) had any success or similar problems?

------------------
Brett
http://fourstarcollective.com/

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 06:52 AM

no joy for me either.

rev a G3 266MT, 192 MB ram, won't boot off cd.

stock drive still in place, with an added internal SCSI drive.
understand your lives are rubbish

jeffod
Sep 19, 2000, 07:31 AM

I just received the PB this morning. I have an original Beige G3 266, 160 Mb Ram.
I popped in the CD and held down the C key expecting to boot into the installer.
My machine rebooted at least 3 times maybe 4 with only a black Screen between the Reboot Chime. I was disappointed and decided to give up.

HOWEVER! And here is the weird thing. I left the CD in the Drive and took my finger off of the "C" key expecting to boot into 9. LOW and behold the CD began to Spin like mad. Nothing Happened for about 90 seconds then the Mac OS X installer LOADED.

It was almost like ZAPPING THE PRAM in the old days. My suggestion is to hold the "C" key let it REBOOT at least 3 times. Then let go of the "C" key and see what happens.

Please POST if this works for you, so everyone will know.
GOOD LUCK

jeffod
Sep 19, 2000, 07:45 AM

This is a follow up to my last reply.
I forgot to mention that I CANCELLED the install, because I have not made BACK-UPS of my data yet. I have a CDRW on order and it will be a few days before I can actually do the install.

BUT THE INSTALLER WAS WORKING FINE. I went through as far as I could without
actually writing anything to disk.

tdk
Sep 19, 2000, 10:51 AM

I successfully installed OS X Beta on my Beige G3 (433 MHz ZIF, 128 MB RAM) onto a newly made empty partition. The newly installed OS X would not get past its happy-face upon reboot, however. I had read in an Apple TIL that OS X was less tolerant of SCSI termination issues, so I tried restarting without any SCSI devices attached: Still no boot past the happy face.

I am at a loss. The Beige G3 is supposed to be supported, and the only upgrades I've installed on the machine are: (1) replaced hard drive with Maxtor drive, (2) replaced ZIF with 433 MHz, and (3) added RAM.

gbrooker
Sep 19, 2000, 11:10 AM

I have the PB installed on my beige G3/233 on an external SCSI disk. I have an Orange Micro firewire/USB card, that apears to be recognised by OS X !

It took me a few attempts to get it to install (3 or 4) with hangs during the process. On occasion the machine never finishes a boot, hanging around with a blue screen. Rebooting into OS 9 (hold down the option key) and reslecting the system disk seems to fix the problem.

After install, OS X seemed to screw up an external SCSI disc I had with four partitions. It seemed fine under OS X, but when booted in OS 9the drives wouldn't mount.

Norton fixed the problem - somehow the root directory was corrupted on all four partitions. After running norton everything was fine.

I have DP4 on another partition on the internal ATA drive. Since installing the public beta, I can no longer boot into DP4 (Why would I want to do that - to access the developer tools, I'm still waiting for the developer CD from the ADC).

One odd thing I noticed, at some point in the install, it wants to connect to the internet to download some extra files (Help ?). I let it do that, but it didn;t seem to work, as most help topics seem to bring up a message HTML file not found !

Cheers
Guy

slc
Sep 19, 2000, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by tdk:
I successfully installed OS X Beta on my Beige G3 (433 MHz ZIF, 128 MB RAM) onto a newly made empty partition.

I am at a loss. The Beige G3 is supposed to be supported, and the only upgrades I've installed on the machine are: (1) replaced hard drive with Maxtor drive, (2) replaced ZIF with 433 MHz, and (3) added RAM.
I've got pretty much the same setup as you, but haven't yet gotten my CD so don't know if I can get OS X to install or not. It worth noting though that only the "stock" beige G3 is supported, so it shouldn't come as a surprise if our machines with upgraded ZIFs and hard drives won't work with the beta OS X.

udecker
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2000, 05:51 PM

I have an original Power Mac G3 Minitower with a second ATA hard drive and a TEAC SCSI CD-ROM that I replaced the OEM drive with.

I had to remove that TEAC and put the OEM ATA CD-ROM back in in order for the boot/install to work.

I had on unsuccessful HFS+ install on the first partition of a newly reformatted drive on a Mac OS 9 system.

This would install but not reboot at the end of the install (it would hang) and then when I did a three-finger salute, the setup assistant could never commit the changes to disk.

So I tried a UFS install, which went smoothly, albeit extremely slowly. Only, this time, I could not get Classic to work at all.

I then called Apple's "gimme 50 bucks to walk you through it" line, who kindly walked me through an HFS+ install for 50 bucks. This time, for some reason, it worked - install rebooted, etc.

Here are the things that went RIGHT during that install.

One - I was using the OEM CD-ROM drive
Two - I reformatted that drive, and put OS 9.0.4 (updated and _completely_ fresh) on the second partition and installed OS X on the first partition (the readme says to do that).

Since it took me several tries, it may be an intermittant thing. The Apple guy was cordial. I recommend to install it on the built in IDE hard drive. There were no jumpers to switch around because my G3 is so old, you can only have two IDE Masters, and no slaves.

if you're still having problems with a Beige G3 install, drop me a line -
udecker @ udecker . com

-uD

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2000, 07:35 PM

Well, add me to the list of people who can't get OSX PB working. Here are a few of my observations...

1) There is nothing wrong with the Beige G3. This is entirely the fault of the system software on the PB CD. This can be proven by the fact that DP4 boots every time, whereas the PB installer is unreliable, even though the patches they make to OF are identical except for the partition on the CD-ROM you boot from (DP4 boots on the eleventh partition, PB on the tenth). Geez; you'd think Apple would have actually tested the install on all the supported hardware, wouldn't you?

2) DO NOT run Norton on an OSX HFS+ disk. Or if you must, don't repair the master directory block (which it will say is broken). Nothing is wrong with the drive; Norton's got a bug.

3) Try setting your system to boot from the DP4 CD, but before you restart replace that with the PB CD. You'll get the OSX equivalent of The Blinking Question Mark of Doom, a System 7(!) System Folder icon torn in half. Totally useless but looks kinda cool. Why System 7's System Folder, though?

4) Did I mention the installer needed a lot more QA than it seems to have gotten?

[EDIT: Oops; one more observation...]

5) When you boot from the CD to go into the installer, do not hold down the C key. That will boot you into the CD's OS9 System Folder; all that does is set the machine to boot into OSX and reboot. In other words, the same thing the OS9 "preinstaller" and System Disk applications do, so it's not necessary to hold down C.

[This message has been edited by Millennium (edited 09-19-2000).]
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

damiller
Sep 19, 2000, 07:52 PM

I also had trouble with a Beige G3 300 tower at the start, with black screens and rebooting as others have described here. I tried various things but here is what seemed to work:

I checked my DVD ROM drive's jumpers, and it was configured as a slave even though it was the only drive on that IDE bus. I changed it to master.

I disconnected all of my SCSI drives and removed my MacAlly USB card.

After the first reboot and black screen, I forced a restart via cmd-ctrl-reset, and continued to hold down the c key.

At that point, my computer displayed the MacOS X happy Mac screen, which is noticeably different from the MacOS 9 happy Mac screen. After a long time, the installer did load and installation proceeded normally. I am now using MacOS X.

LKC
Sep 19, 2000, 09:54 PM

I have had no trouble here (beige G3/300 desktop). I didn't have to remove any PCI cards (in fact, it even recognized my Keyspan USB card, and I can use my Kensington 2-button/scroll mouse through that just fine). I don't have any SCSI devices attached at the moment, so that could be whats causing problems for people.

Also, I seem to recall reading somewhere that it won't install if you've got a second monitor attached, or if your monitor is connected to a video card other than the built-in ATI or IXMicro cards that Apple shipped.

ibsen
Sep 19, 2000, 11:03 PM

I have been testing the prerelease OS X PB for several months now. I have a G3 Beige 233MZ/160MB RAM and a WD 10GB Hard drive. I also have a G4. There are several known issues involving the Beige G3. Basically, I have had no installation problems with any of the OS X PB builds on my G4 but have had many with my G3. I received the official OS X PB today and it installed on my G3 without problems but the installation is not exactly like on a G4. For example, on my G4, restarting from the CD for the installation is 'by the book' but, restarting from the CD on the G3 is not. When the screen returns I get a floppy icon with the question mark. Continuing to hold down the 'C' key and the happy Mac icon eventually appears. Releasing the 'C' key cause a reboot into the OS X PB installer program. The installation was normal from there.

My advice for all Beige G3 users is to follow the install instructions as exactly as you can. Partition your drive for at least 2 partitions. Put OS X PB on the first partition (make sure it is HFS+). If the install goes wrong, try again after you have booted back to OS 9 and zapped the pram.

BTW, when listing a problem and asking for advice, it is a great help if you give some info such as:
Model
RAM
CPU speed
HD size
OS number
Installed 3rd party cards.

Good luck everyone

MrLint
Sep 19, 2000, 11:40 PM

Hi all let me describe the voodo i had to do get the PB to install but first..
goassamer g3 300 desktop
256M ram
6M vram
20G WD ide drive
belkin usb card.

So after 904 mounts the cd and you run the installer and it does some mangling of the pram, adn then it tries to restart, the isntaller will *not* see any of my drive partitions. I actualy have to shut the box down before the isntaller will see any volumes. This is about as far as i have gotten due to the fast that back a year ago i thought a 1G system volume would be enough (wrong) and my testbed for OS's is beyond 8G. also another pecularity is that i must zap the pram if i expect to use the cdrom in sys 9 again. kinda irritating. was the same way for dp3 and 4

Sep 20, 2000, 04:57 AM

OS X works on mine, and it's a rather complex setup.

I have a Beige G3/300/DVD Desktop, upgraded w/a Motorola 466 MHz aluminum zif cpu, 320mb RAM, 20 gb ATA internal (formatted w/Drive Setup) as the OS 9 disk and an 8 gb SCSI drive (formatted w/Hard Disk Toolkit) attached to the G3's motherboard SCSI bus running OS X.

This machine has an ATI Rage Orion with a second monitor attached and a Farallon Etherfast 10/100 autoswitching ethernet card in it as well.

OS X is working on both monitors and using the Farallon ethernet card for both TCP/IP and Appletalk.

Two problems:
1. Sound isn't working. Anywhere. I suspect the "Personality Card" which is used for DVD hardware decoding and analog video capture, isn't fully supported in the PB.
2. Sleep doesn't work.

One additional note:
When installing from the OS X CD, one need only hold the "C" key down once. The machine will show the "Happy Mac" then go black and reboot. Release the "C" key. The machine will boot from the OS X CD without any problem.

Hope this helps people

Sep 20, 2000, 04:58 AM

OS X works on mine, and it's a rather complex setup.

I have a Beige G3/300/DVD Desktop, upgraded w/a Motorola 466 MHz aluminum zif cpu, 320mb RAM, 20 gb ATA internal (formatted w/Drive Setup) as the OS 9 disk and an 8 gb SCSI drive (formatted w/Hard Disk Toolkit) attached to the G3's motherboard SCSI bus running OS X.

This machine has an ATI Rage Orion with a second monitor attached and a Farallon Etherfast 10/100 autoswitching ethernet card in it as well.

OS X is working on both monitors and using the Farallon ethernet card for both TCP/IP and Appletalk.

Two problems:
1. Sound isn't working. Anywhere. I suspect the "Personality Card" which is used for DVD hardware decoding and analog video capture, isn't fully supported in the PB.
2. Sleep doesn't work.

One additional note:
When installing from the OS X CD, one need only hold the "C" key down once. The machine will show the "Happy Mac" then go black and reboot. Release the "C" key. The machine will boot from the OS X CD without any problem.

Hope this helps people

Keda
Senior User
Sep 20, 2000, 09:14 AM

G3/266
416MB
Stock CD-ROM(atapi)
Plextor CD-RW (scsi)
1 6GB HD-split 3 ways

This is very confusing, since the reults vary so much. I can boot of the CD and install. After the installer finishes, and I click 'restart', the cursor turns to a wheel and spins, and spins, and spins....

I manually reboot, and OSX� starts up. My problem is when I get to the Assistant.

After I fill in my info, the machine says its configuring my system, but the progress bar never gets more the 10% of the way across. The HD is not active during this period, but it occasionally spins up for a few seconds. I left it like this overnight in the hopes that something would happen-nothing.

The documentation that comes w/OSX says that Org. G3 owners need to format the target drive from the installer (done), cannot install on the same part as OS9, and the intallation must be in the first 8GB of the disk (I dont even have that much).

When I go home tonight, I will try removing the Plextor CD-RW. At this point, the system will be bone stock, and I think I have followed the instructions to the letter. Hmmm!??

JonahLee
Sep 20, 2000, 11:41 AM

No joy on my machine. I have a Beige G3 300 MHZ tower that I have upgraded to a 400/200MHZ G4 from Sonnet, an ATI NEXUS (i know that isn't supported) an Apple Firewire card (stopped working with Firewire Driver 2.5) and an Apple Ultra Wide SCSI II card with 3 HD's hooked up to it. When I try to reboot From the CD all I get is no sync on my monitor and I can eject the CD by holding down the eject button on my tower! Looks like it is time to install OS X PB on my Powerbook Lombard 333!
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

think_inkless
Sep 20, 2000, 01:53 PM

OK this is simpler than everyone is saying.... When booting from the OSX PB CD you must hold down the "c" key.... This will (in this case) zap you PRAM... then you let go of the "C" key and the CD will load properly.... Also please follow ALL Apple instructions for installing OSX PB. This means.... ONLY install the OSX system on the MASTER IDE drive... and for that matter on the first partition of that drive! I had not a one problem installing on my beige 233 desktop when following these procedures.

Keda
Senior User
Sep 20, 2000, 01:59 PM

Not to argue, but where does it say that OSX must be installed on the first part?

I may have missed it, but I dont think it is mentioned in the documenmtaion that came w/the CD.

As for future implications of this...I have had OS9& my apps on one part & docs on another an misc on the 3rd. Will I be able to go back to system& apps(inld Classic) on 1 part in the future?

Jared Rice
Sep 20, 2000, 07:40 PM

Originally posted by Keda:
Not to argue, but where does it say that OSX must be installed on the first part?

I may have missed it, but I dont think it is mentioned in the documenmtaion that came w/the CD.

As for future implications of this...I have had OS9& my apps on one part & docs on another an misc on the 3rd. Will I be able to go back to system& apps(inld Classic) on 1 part in the future?
I have to say, I agree. From what I read, it is quite the opposite; if you want it to work correctly, according to the docs, you need OS9 on the FIRST partition, and OSX on the second.

Keda
Senior User
Sep 20, 2000, 10:00 PM

Still no dice. I have moved OS9 to part #3, erased part1, and intalled OSX there. Also, I disconected my Plextor CDRW. Unless I start pulling RAM, I cant get any more stock.

What I really need is a way to get around the Assistant. If I reboot into OS9, I can see the OSX directories, etc. So, they have installed and are there, but I cant use them. OSX is not interacting w/my HD.

Does any one know how I can get around the Assistant?

Daniel Rogers
Sep 20, 2000, 10:06 PM

I have a Beige G3 desktop with:
224 Megs of RAM
4 gig HD
ATI Rage 128 Orion video card,
Belkin USB card.

I am so frustrated. . .
I have been trying to get MacOS X PB installed for several days now. I have tried to do everything in the readme. I want just MacOS X on my computer so I reformatted the drive and began to install. Every time I have tried to install, it has failed. I have tried every install option. Everytime it fails, I get an error that says: "Operation Not permitted. Please try installing again" I get this error about a minute before the install is done. It drives me nuts. I have even tried striping down to original hardware and still nothing.
The log window gives a lot of errors about pax:
pax Undefined error: 0: Invalid header, starting valid header search.
and finally dies with pax complaining tht it could not red compressed data and a huge warning saying
"These patterns were not matched:"
and a list of several hundred file paths

Does anyone else have problems like this?

Thanks,
Daniel Rogers
[email protected]

El Berserko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 12:03 AM

Why is everyone having problems? I got the PB to install flawlessly.

Stats:
G3 266 MT (Final revision, Nov 98)
128 MB RAM
4 GB on ATA 0 (OS X on a 2 GB partition)
10 GB on ATA 1
ATi 128 VR

The CD boots fine (with 'c' key). It installed fine on my 2 GB partition on the original 4 GB HD that came with the computer. OS X boots flawlessly. It runs fine, sound and all; just a bit slow (common, it's a 266!!).
OS 9 is on the other 2 GB partition. Classic boots fine, and I can go to OS 9 at startup by holding the option key.

Keda
Senior User
Sep 21, 2000, 12:11 AM

El Berserko, you are the devil...or maybe just a lucky SOB.

Ive been trying anything I can think of for a few hours, w/ no luck. I booted from OS9 and trashed the Assistants from the OSX partition. Instead of skipping the step, OSX had me find another Assistan. This is way to Windows-like. Why doesnt the assistant have a skip or cancel button like OS9 does.

Where can I find the start up items in OSX? Im hoping I can get rid of whatever makes the asistant run at su.

Enigma Al
Sep 21, 2000, 12:34 AM

I just got the PB today. After a few tries of getting the question mark on a disk and multiple restarts, I got it to work by starting up by holding the C key, then after you get the disk w/ qustion mark, then you get the happy mac, then release the C key, it will restart and you will get a different mac symbol on a darker background w/ a spinning cursor. Then it will install.

I've got a beige G3 266MT
160MB of RAM
6GB HD
2 Partitions
1OSX
2OS9.04
Only problem I've had so far has to do w/ Classic. It will start up, and then it will stay 'on' (the triangle under the icon in the dock) then it will stop. No error message, just end. I don't know whats up w/ this. Everything else installed great

Al

smic
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 21, 2000, 03:04 AM

ok, my friend has a g3 300, and had so many problems tryin to install it(not bootin, error -2, ect) so i installed it on my imac no problem. Then we tried my hard drive in his g3 with it installed, seemed to work well. So now I'm jelous cause it runs nicer on his g3 then my imac. But if that helps anyone try installin it on a differnt mac then transfer the harddrive.
w3rd..
surrey represent

afterimage
Sep 21, 2000, 03:24 AM

So, evidently, I'm one of the lucky ones.

My setup:

PMAC Biege G3/233 Rev. A
160 MB RAM (32/64/64)
10GB maxtor HD
6MB video on the Mach 64
Internet connectivity through LAN

Here's what I did to prep the system.

1. A long time ago, partioned 10GB drive into three physical drives.
a. 4GB drive, with Mac OS 9.0.4 cleanly installed (was Mac OS 8.1 way back when)
b. 4GB drive for Virtual PC, graphics and games
c. 2GB drive for experimentation.

2. Looked over my documents, stuffed them and copied them to the 2GB partition, which was going to have neither OS 9 or be the Mac OS X install location. I also copied them to a network volume, just in case.

3. Found in the docs that if you're going to install onto two partitions, Mac OS 9 has to be on the first. Secondly, the OS X install has to be within the first 8GB on a Beige G3. Luckily, my partioning scheme allowed for this.

4. Ran Disk First Aid under OS 9 just to be sure everything was in order.

5. Rebooted and ran the Mac OS X installer. Instead of holding the C key down, which only resulted in a short loop of reboots, I set the OS X CD as the boot disk under Mac OS 9's Start Up disk control panel.

6. Was patient as it took the system about five minutes to boot into the installer.

7. Chose to install Mac OS X on it's own partition (the second one) and reformatted it as a Unix disk. (note, I had specific reasons for doing so, if you don't plan on running command line utils, probably best stick with HFS+)

8. Waited. And waited. And waited. I'd say install start to finish took about 30 minutes.

From there, set-up assistance ran smoothly. Reboot and oh, spiffy.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2000, 08:39 AM

I finally just bit the bullet, paid the $50, and called Apple to try and get this thing installed (same G3).

Even they are stumped by my case. I'm using the same computer that ran DP4 almost perfectly (a few problems recogizing external SCSI drives), but I can't even boot the installer on this one. I've got one more day on the plan (which I think they might extend if it doesn't install today), but I've learned a few useful things that haven't worked for me but might help others...

1) Try booting while holding down the v key (no, that's not a typo, I really did mean 'v', not 'c'). This is supposed to boot OSX, including the installer, into "verbose mode." Instead of the Happy Mac, you get tons of diagnostic command-line messages (not too unlike what you see on a standard Linux boot). Those might have some information that could help. Unfortunately, I can't make this work. If anyone else who can't boot the installer can at least get it to use Verbose mode, could you post the error messages?

2) Open Firmware can be your friend. To access it, boot with Cmd-Opt-O-F held down (note that OF boots very quickly, on account of the fact that it's so small and resides entirely in hardware). Note the version number at the top of the prompt that appears (white screen, black text); mine is 2.4. This is really low-level, pre-boot stuff, and I don't know too much about it, but there are a few useful commands (they must be typed in exactly as I have them here, except the quotes):
'boot' boots to the default boot device (be it the Mac ROM's for MacOS, or a hard drive for OSX or LinuxPPC). This may fail with the installer; if it does note the error message it will give you (it won't attempt to boot if it fails).
'bye' boots into the Mac ROM's, ending with you back in OS9.
'boot-v' supposedly boots in Verbose mode (same as holding V down). Note that this doesn't work for me.
'reset-all' supposedly zaps your PRAM and reboots. I can verify the reboot, but not the PRAM zap.
'reset-NVRAM' supposedly blasts the firmware clean of anything you've done, including firmware updates, and sets it back to its factory-original state. But this doesn't work for me either.

3) Check the underside of the CD-ROM for damage; apparently a few of these did ship with problems.

4) Sometimes, in OS9 the CD will mount the wrong partition. Instead of the Classic installer, you get tons of folders with wierd-looking names (actually, they're only wierd if you have no Unix experience; otherwise they should look very familiar). This is the OSX side of the installer; if this partition looks OK then it's probably not the disk. However, look for a file with "BootX" in its name; this is very important. The guy I talked with at Apple thinks that Beige G3's aren't booting the installer because for some reason they can't find this file. Again, Verbose mode can probably help you if you can get it to work.

5) If you have access to another machine (not a Beige G3; try an iMac or Blue/White or something like that), try booting to the Installer on it (note: if you don't own the machine, it's probably a Really Bad Idea to try and actually install the beta; just see if you can get the thing to boot instead). If it can't boot there either, then it's probably a CD problem.

jdarnold
Sep 21, 2000, 09:45 AM

Installing on a Beige G3 (Rev 2) with DVD!!!

I stripped my system down to a bare bones Apple system - no luck, same as most other people with a DVD drive. However, I did find a solution that let me install with no problems whatsoever. I replaced the DVD drive with a CD-ROM taken from a defunct Micron. Absolutely no problems even with a bunch of extra PCI cards, two monitors and drives. Will be trying to get my DVD and ethernet printer working tonite as I have time. For those interested more details follow from a post of mine to User Group mailing list:

> You know, I don't think I've had as much trouble installing anything since the time I went through roughly 40 blue screens trying to install Windows2000 on a system. Followed Apple's instructions precisely and got nothing but a system that rebooted over and over and over while trying to boot from the CD. I stripped the system down to just a SCSI Harddrive and the Apple DVD, at one time I even pulled the Apple personality card - same problem. I did have a little more luck trying to install from my external Yamaha CDRW, this time I got as far as a broken icon. Was giving up and putting everything back together when I had an IDEA. I pulled an old ATA CD-ROM drive out of a defunct Micron box. Set it up as Master on the second ATA chain (nothing else on chain, Hard drive is Master on primary chain, Zip is SCSI). Worked perfectly the first time installing (on a SCSI Hard drive) and setting up with ALL of my cards and two monitors in place. The only
other thing I had done was make sure my external SCSI scanner and CDRW were off. I am now running OS X with TWO montiors(one is attached to a RETAIL ATI Orion card) and its pretty nice. I'm going home tonite and see if I can get the Apple DVD drive to work under OS X. As it was around 1:00am this morning I didn't have much time to play with it, but I did launch Word 98 without any trouble from the Classic environment. NOTE: Set your extension set on OS 9.0.4 to Apple's extensions only to start with, add extensions later, otherwise Classic may not start. For those interested here is my current configuration:

Beige G3 (Rev 2 ROM) - DVD retail configuration
400 MHz G3
288 MB RAM
27 GB Maxtor ATA-66 HD (Master on primary chain - attached as last device) - OS 9.0.4 installed here
8 GB Quantam SCSI HD (OS X installed here)
SCSI Zip drive
Internal Video (Rage Pro - 6MB) with Sony 19" attached
PCI Cards:
Rage Orion with Sony 19" attached
Asante 10/100 Ethernet card
Keyspan USB card
External SCSI (turned off for the moment)
Yamaha 4x4x16 CD-RW
Umax 1200S Scanner

I have a LAN at home, but currently I use a modem to get to the internet and apparently in OS X PB, only one or the other can be used at a time. The OS did activiate both the internal 10 Base T card and the 10/100 card (which OS 9 would not do) but I'm not sure yet which card communications are going thru (both are hooked to a 10/100 switch). Hopefully I can get my DVD,internet, and ethernet printer working tonight.

Hope some of this helps.

pysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 10:14 AM

Hi, I am having the same probs as most everyone here...
my setup......
Beige G3 266 w/ DVD
128 mg RAM
6mg VRAM
no cards, ect....
But I do have a second hard drive as a slave on the same bus as the stock HD, but I have even tried doing it with that unconnected, and same experience. I restart, then hold c, and it will do the flashing disk with ?, and then it will get smiley mac, reboot, and then if I hold c still, it will keep rebooting, if I let go, it will let the cd spin like mad as someone else mentioned, but then mine will just sit there, nothing??????? I will check my DVD and make sure it is set on master as someone else mentioned, but could that affect it to do all of this???? And now even without the X cd in, I still have to hold option to reboot, I have even reformatted the stock drive and put a clean os 9.04 on it, and it still wouldn't do anything??? Any help I would great appreciate, thanks!
Ryan
iMac G5 1.8 17" SD/768MB/80GB
iPod Mini 4gb Rev. B
external firewire 400 120GB drive

tdk
Sep 21, 2000, 10:36 AM

Earlier this week I reported an inability to install on my Beige G3. The problems went away as soon as I cleared out the first partition of my hard disk and installed there. I had been trying to install into the third partition.

RandomMaccess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 11:38 AM

To Enigma Al --

The reason you see the Classic icon in your doc and no evidence that it's running is that Launching Classic by itself doesn't do anything (i.e., you don't get a window with an OS 9 desktop).

It has no visible effect on your system until you run a Classic app -- it simply provides the ability to do so.

Hope that helps,

-----------------------------------
Chuck La Tournous
Editor,Columnist
RandomMaccess.com
Chuck La Tournous
Editor, Columnist
RandomMaccess.com

jonnoh
Sep 21, 2000, 12:48 PM

I installed last night on:

beige G3/300
320 Mb RAM
UW SCSI controller

I had no luck at first. The install CD booted up ok and would install, but on restart, I'd get a repeating message that OS X couldn't access something to do with the PCI bus. I ended up disconnecting my second monitor, removing its video card, an original firewire card, and an external ZIP drive.

It took installing on a freshly formatted UFS partition to get OS X to boot. It worked and I was able to go through setup and play around for a bit. This morning, I turned on the machine and got the cryptic "Can't open:" over and over, then 8.6 booted. I don't have time to troubleshoot yet.

jpbg3
Sep 21, 2000, 04:39 PM

I have been having similar problems with the inability to boot from the cd. In verbose mode it hangs up on call Kernel...
I ran the included disk first aid on the OS X cd, came up with "Problem: MountCheck found minor errors...the volume OS X Install CD needs to be repaired"
Has anyone else tried this?

JonahLee
Sep 21, 2000, 06:47 PM

I have now gotten the PB to run on my Powerbook Lomabrd, but I can't get it to run on my G3 Beige Tower. As I said before I have a Sonnet G4 400/200 ZIF Socket upgrade, an Apple Firewire card, an Apple Ultra Wide SCSI card and an ATI NEXUS (I know that is unsupported). When I attempted to install PB the computer restarted and all I got was a black screen. I hit the eject button and the CD ejected. I have tried again multiple times, and now think that my CD ROM has failed. I can't get any CD to boot. Is this a coincidence or is it possible that the CD failed on the reboot onto the OS X CD. I figured if it wouldn't work with the NEXUS the disc wouldn't reboot, but now Apple System Profiler isn't even seeing my CD, and I can hear it spinning up?

Does anyone have any advice?
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

Enigma Al
Sep 21, 2000, 06:49 PM

Random,
I know, but, say I run classic, then, it will show ANOTHER classic logo in the dock (next to the original one) and try to boot again, and even after that I can't get any classic apps to run.

Al

RandomMaccess
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 08:03 PM

psyan and JonahLee:

I can't take credit for this, but it's just an important tip it should be in a FAQ somewhere.

What's happening is that the installer is updating your firmware. When the OS X install fails, you need to "undo" the firmware update in order for your computer to boot up and recognize CDs properly.

Here's how:

Restart (sometimes it works best from a cold start) holding down the Apple-Option-O-F keys to boot into Open Firmware. Keep holding them down until you get to a command line.

type "set-defaults" (without the quotes) and hit return. Then type "bye" (again, no quotes) and hit return again.

You're no closer to a successful install of OS X PB, but at least you'll have a properly functioning Mac again.

Hope that helps,

-Chuck

---------------------------------
Chuck La Tournous
Editor, Columnist
RandomMaccess.com

[This message has been edited by RandomMaccess (edited 09-21-2000).]
Chuck La Tournous
Editor, Columnist
RandomMaccess.com

doclee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 08:30 PM

Is there any chance that OS X will ever support older Macs with G3 or G4 upgrade cards? Or is this another case of technology passing by a large portion of the users out here? I have a PowerMac 7500 with a G3 400 mHz upgrade - it is not currently supported, as far as I can tell.

Keda
Senior User
Sep 21, 2000, 09:21 PM

Its from bad to worse forme. Now OSX is 'completeing' the install and rebooting. I put that in quotes, because I am no longer able to get to the Assistant.

When I boot into OS9, I only see a fraction of the files that had previously installed.

Have I tried to install too many times?? Can I wipe the slate clean and start again??

When I boot after the install (which appears to go smoothly) i get the Open Firmwear screen (white w/black text) and an error message:

DEFAULT CATCH!, code FFF00700 at %SRR0:01C00A70 %SRR1:00083070

Then there is some text explaining the I can type 'BYE' to go to OS9 or 'BOOT' to go to OSX (not exaxt words).

If I type BOOT, the following line says 'BOOT CLAIM failed'

huh?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2000, 09:55 PM

Success!

OK, here was my secret: OSX does NOT like processor upgrades just yet. The installer, in particular, absolutely hates the little buggers, so put the original chip back in your machine before you upgrade.

No word yet on whether you can put the chip back in after installation. I sure hope you can, though; OSXPB seems a bit pokey on a 300-MHz G3.

Jared Rice
Sep 21, 2000, 11:11 PM

Originally posted by think_inkless:
OK this is simpler than everyone is saying.... When booting from the OSX PB CD you must hold down the "c" key.... This will (in this case) zap you PRAM... then you let go of the "C" key and the CD will load properly.... Also please follow ALL Apple instructions for installing OSX PB. This means.... ONLY install the OSX system on the MASTER IDE drive... and for that matter on the first partition of that drive! I had not a one problem installing on my beige 233 desktop when following these procedures.
Ok, for accuracy, the "C" key does NOT zap the PRAM. It seems that it forces the computer to boot up using a fake system folder on the cd (Much like LinuxPPC 2000 does) which contains a copy of BootX that patches the OpenFirmware to force it to boot off of the OS X partition on the cd. To those who have no clue what this means, it doesn't really matter; needless to say it works.

Second, I finally got my computer to boot with the PB-my failing was that I was not installing on the first 4 GB of the disk (which is very shortly mentioned in the docs). After reformatting and putting a 2 GB partition for it on the front of the disk it works fine, is ok with my processor upgrade (Formac ProG3 466 ZIF), is ok with my extra video card (ATi 128 VR), and supports two monitors. My suggestion-reformat and repartition your drive and make sure the CDROM is master, not slave.

Good luck!

Jared Rice
Sep 21, 2000, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
Success!

OK, here was my secret: OSX does NOT like processor upgrades just yet. The installer, in particular, absolutely hates the little buggers, so put the original chip back in your machine before you upgrade.

No word yet on whether you can put the chip back in after installation. I sure hope you can, though; OSXPB seems a bit pokey on a 300-MHz G3.
Honestly, I haven't had the same problem... Is your upgrade a ZIF? Is your upgrade Copper or Aluminum? Personally, I have a Formac ProG3 466, which is Copper... not sure if it makes a difference.

doclee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2000, 11:35 PM

My "original" processor was a PowerPC 601. Therefore, I cannot put the original chip back in. It would not work at all. I guess I am out of luck for now.

Forum Links
Forum Rules