Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Install killed Beige G3's CD-ROM

OS X Install killed Beige G3's CD-ROM
JonahLee
Sep 22, 2000, 01:19 AM

I ran the OS X PB install while running OS 9. The Computer shut down as if to restart and my Monitor went completely black. The computer's light was on, but the monitor was getting no signal. Finally I hit the eject button and the OS X CD ejected. After a long delay OS 9 restarted, but without the ability to read CD-ROM's! Not any CD-ROMs! I have ZAPPED teh PRAM, I reinstalled OS 9 (I copied the CD over via ethernet and reinstalled) I even puled the machien apart and reconnected the cables! What is really strange is that I decided to open AUDION and it can read the length of whatever CD is installed, but the CD never shows up! Not even in the system profiler! Can anyone help! I read of somone having a similiar problem over at Macfixit, but they had no solutions!
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2000, 02:51 AM

Sounds like the same experience I had. I finally gave up trying to figure it out, turned off my computer, and went to bed. When I got up in the morning, turned on my G3 before jumping in the shower - when I came back, the OSX installer app was waiting for me. Seemed strange, but I went through the install process, and my CDROM has been fine ever since.

(I also had gone through the reinstall of OS9, taking apart my computer, even putting in a different CDROM I had lying around.)

So, maybe just turn it off, go to bed, and try it in the morning.

Sinemacula
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

dezimm
Sep 22, 2000, 05:34 AM

Yeah, it does that. Only work around I have found, if you need to use a cd, is to reboot, holding down ctrl-cmd-o-f, to bring up the Open Firmware dialogue. Type "set-defaults" (without the quotes), enter, then type "bye". the machine will then boot to your OS 9 disk, and you can use the CD-Rom. OS X seems to change the firmware in such a way as to set a boot order of CD first.

JonahLee  (op)
Sep 22, 2000, 11:32 AM

I tried holding down ctrl-command-o-f and nothing happened. Is this the correct key set, or does this workaround just not function on my machine? There has got to be some way to reset the firmware!

MacFixit, in their archives listed option-command-o-f as the keys, but my machine wouldn't boot with that set up! AARRGGHHHH!!!!! i am currently reinitiaziting my boot Hard Drive!

[This message has been edited by JonahLee (edited 09-22-2000).]
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2000, 11:37 AM

Basically, you've knocked out one of the IDE buses temporarily. I've had this happen too, with DP4 and even Darwin (Darwin once took out the internal SCSI chain even).

Luckily, it's fixable. TechTool's PRAM Zap feature should be able to help you out (the free version can do this just fine).

If that doesn't do the trick, you can do a CUDA reset. Open the case, with the front of the machine facing towards you, and flip up the cover over the PCI slots. Just to the left of the leftmost slot (near the far left-hand corner of the board) is a small black button (it might also be red). Hold this button down for thirty seconds to make sure you've really cleared out all the RAM, then close up your machine and restart. Note that this makes even TechTool's PRAM zap look wimpy, and will wipe all kinds of interesting info from the PRAM (it won't, however, touch your drives).

And if even that fails, you can pull the motherboard battery, wait 15 minutes, then put it back in and turn the machine on. If this doesn't work, then your machine needs more help than I can give.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

JonahLee  (op)
Sep 22, 2000, 12:49 PM

I just checked out the Macfixit site and they listed the Firmware reset as Command-option-o-f so I will try that when I get home.

If that doesn't work I will pop my case and try the manual reset. That is no problem as I already popped my case to check the drive cables on the CD-ROM. Of course that was before I ran AUDION and noticed that while it coudln't play the CD's it could tell the length of the CD so it was obviously installed in some way.

I am still having no luck. Even holding down Option doesn't allow me to boot off of a CD (though it lets me see it). I installed the SYSTEM DISK control panel and now I can boot without holding down option, but it doesn't allow me to use my CD. And on top of that the the Open Firmware screen won't come up on my computer. Someone help!

[This message has been edited by JonahLee (edited 09-24-2000).]
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

themacnut
Sep 22, 2000, 01:04 PM

This happened to my 20th Anniversary Mac also. Don't aks why, just a moment of complete stupidity.

I will try the reset switch on the motherboard and removing the battery tonight to see if this revises my DEAD Tam.

Jeff

JonahLee  (op)
Sep 26, 2000, 02:31 AM

I removed my SONNET G4 400/200 and used my Apple Card instead of My ATI NEXUS and managed to get OS X to install. Then I tried the NEXUS and then the SONNET and neither works with OS X! But once I installed OS X I used system Switcher and now OS 9 is working fine and I can start up off of CD's. Of course I never could get into the Open Firmware Dialogue.
-Jonah Lee

Jonah Lee

MusicMan
Forum Regular
Sep 27, 2000, 12:37 PM

I found that I couldn't break into Open Firmware while using the third-party video card (ATI). But it worked fine connected to the built -in video on my Beige G3 (also ATI, oddly. Maybe has something to do with PCI?)
The branches of the Great Tree grow without end, yet the Maker knows them all. -D'ni Proverb

http://www.danielbergey.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules